PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

Pages : [1] 2 3

Marco
24-12-2008, 19:47
Guys,

Hopefully some of you may find this useful...

To make gorgeous gravy for any roast meat (turkey is used as an example):

Simmer the giblets from the turkey with an onion, carrot, celery, and any herbs you've got like rosemary, sage, thyme or parsley stalks and water to make a stock. Simmer for at least an hour. You want to use the juices that the turkey is roasting in plus the stock as a base for the gravy to dissolve the brown 'crusty bits' in the roasting tin.

Add some port or red wine into the gravy and reduce down until you get the consistency you like - you can add cornflower at this stage if necessary to thicken it, mixing it with the red wine or port.

If you want extra flavour add some Lea & Perrins sauce to taste - this will enrich the gravy and also add some more colour if necessary. Strain/spoon off any excess fat that may be floating on top of the gravy for a silky and refined finish.

The secret, though, is in the stock!

As far as the turkey itself is concerned, mix some chopped herbs and garlic together with softened butter and put on the breasts underneath the skin. Cover the breasts and legs of the turkey with plenty of streaky bacon to keep it moist and baste every 20 mins to half an hour. Remove bacon for last half hour to brown the turkey and this can be served along with the turkey as an accompaniment.

Remember to put the stuffing in the neck end only to keep the cavity free in order to circulate heat. Put an onion and some herbs in the cavity to add flavour but don't put the stuffing in there.

Enjoy :cool:

Marco.

Mike
24-12-2008, 19:56
And feel free to add a bit of honey. At just about any point! :)

Marco
24-12-2008, 20:05
Honey? You're on your own with that one, dude! Maybe with a nice ham, but not turkey...

Marco.

Mike
24-12-2008, 20:15
Pffft... Turkey is about a traditional as roast turd! ;)

But yes.... Honey works with just about any roast meat. Except beef. I'm sure there's an act of Parliament against that. If there isn't, there damn well should be! :)

Marco
24-12-2008, 20:33
Pffft... Turkey is about a traditional as roast turd!

Indeed. Hence why we're having goose tomorrow ;)

It's all down to personal taste (just like with hi-fi) so add honey to turkey if you wish.

Marco.

Steve Toy
08-01-2009, 02:42
Marco, I need that curry recipe again of Del's else these powders are going to be a disaster :o

Marco
08-01-2009, 08:37
"Powders"? LOL!! They're not for your face :lol:

Ok, if Del has time when she's come back from work tonight I'll ask her to dictate the recipe to me and I'll post it here. You can then keep it for reference :)

Marco.

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 10:04
"Powders"? LOL!! They're not for your face :lol:

Depends what look you're going for I suppose.

I'd like to submit a recipe but my finest cooking hour has been roast potatoes, hardly a work of art. Tasty though. :)

Marco
08-01-2009, 10:14
What's your method for cooking roast potatoes then, Rob? Go for it - there's always something new to learn even if it may not appear so :)

Marco.

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 10:23
To be honest it's not really a recipe (as per the thread title) as there's only one ingredient - potatoes. :) However I do roast them in the skins so that's a little different from the norm. However, Gordon Ramsey I'm not. :lol:

1. Wash potatoes but don't peel or pierce the skins.

2. Put in cold water and bring to boil until skins start to lift (about ten minutes).

3. Pop some foil in a non-metallic baking dish.

4. Liberally coat the foil with extra virgin olive oil.

5. Cut boiled potatoes in half and set them flat side down in the dish.

6. Liberally brush extra virgin olive oil on to the potatoes.

7. Pop in hot oven until brown and crispy. I use gas mark 7-8 (which I believe is about 220-230 degC) for about 45 minutes.

8. Eat them however you like, personally I like them with coleslaw. :)

I should add that occasionally the skins come right off the potatoes, but that's no bad thing as roasted skins are very yummy. :)

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 10:25
Of course, I've just noticed that the thread was supposed to be about healthy recipes which this really isn't. Still, nice though.

A.N.
08-01-2009, 11:16
2 starters for ya. delicious!
first one, king prawns with chilli and garlic butter and shallots:-

1-dice up finely some shallots and garlic and a small fresh chilli (de-seeded!)
2- heat some olive oil in a pan
3-add the shallots, garlic and fresh chilli
4-fry for about 3 mins on a medium heat
5-add the prawns and cook for about 2 mins til nicely pink
6-add a good knob of unsalted butter and continue cooking til the butter has melted
7-serve with some lightly toasted and hot buttered chiabatta!

black pudding and potato cakes:-

1-boil some cut up potatoes for 20 mins til soft
2-cut up black pudding into cubes and fry in olive oil til soft
3-fry some diced shallots in olive oil and butter until soft
4-when the pototoes have cooked, mash with salt, black pepper, butter, and cream
add the cooked black pudding and shallots and form into little patties.
5-cover the patties in flour and gently fry over a medium heat til golden
make a dressing with olive oil, lemin juice, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
eat and be merry :)

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 11:32
Double yum!

Haselsh1
08-05-2009, 23:33
Gotta great idea... How about we all get together and have Chicken Vindaloo and a Peshwari Naan...??? No...???

snapper
09-05-2009, 15:12
Gotta great idea... How about we all get together and have Chicken Vindaloo and a Peshwari Naan...??? No...???

Great idea,Shaun.

A few :cool: as well.

I take it you'll be doing the cooking.

:lolsign:

Mike
09-05-2009, 16:19

Can I have a Lamb Dansak, Chili Garlic Pilau, and a Keema Garlic Nan instead please? :)

kalozois100
09-05-2009, 16:34
Easy microwave Curried Rice(so you can spend more time listening to music!!)
Serves 4-6 people

Okay. first get either large cermanic bowl or microwave safe plastic one that fits in microwave oven.
in a jug place a pint of boiling water, 2 stock cubes, 5 splashes of worcester sauce, 1 tablespoon of curry powder, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of ginger, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 tablespoon of djion mustard, 250ml of single cooking cream, the grated peel of one large lemon, the juice of half a large lemon 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of cardomon, 1 tablespoon of light soya sauce, 50-100g of unsalted butter, and finally pepper sauce according to how hot you want it. I have it medium hot so I put in about 5-10 splashes of pepper sauce.Now stir all ingredients untill thoroughly mixed together.

In the bowl place half a kilo of either: pork meat cubes, lamb meat cubes, chicken meat cubes or even some peeled large prawns( I've tried them all and all are great). put half a kilo of washed parboiled rice in the bowl aswell.

Now mix in the mixture from the jug with meat and rice. then place in microwave and cook on full wack for about 35 minutes.
Every 10 minutes stop the micro and stir the contents in the bowl. if towards the end it needs more liquid put a glass of water in until rice is fully cooked. the curried rice will be fluffy, smell and taste great!! Also wont stick at bottom like with cooking pot. Serve it with fresh chopped corriander leaves sprinkled on top accompanied by tzantziki ,nan/pitta bread, a fresh green salad and a good white wine that Marco can recommend!! :eyebrows:

aquapiranha
27-07-2009, 21:46
MMMM ... Curry....

Marco, that soup Del made, it was delicious! as was everything else! but that soup.... mana from heaven (no, not that kind of mana, don't get excitied)

Dave Cawley
27-07-2009, 21:53
Lamb Dansak, Chili Garlic Pilau, and a Keema Garlic Nan, for a starter......

Me too!!!!!

Dave

Mike
27-07-2009, 22:49
Lamb Dansak, Chili Garlic Pilau, and a Keema Garlic Nan, for a starter......

Me too!!!!!

Dave

Make yer own... it's piss easy! :)

I really MUST put some recipes in the 'foody' section. ;)

Marco
29-07-2009, 07:44
Marco, that soup Del made, it was delicious! as was everything else! but that soup.... mana from heaven (no, not that kind of mana, don't get excitied)

LOL. Well, now the two Dave's have been 'subjected' to it, too - weeth extra cheeli :eyebrows:

I gather they liked it ;)

If you want the recipe, just ask :cool:

Marco.

aquapiranha
29-07-2009, 16:23
Great thanks Marco ( or should I say thanks Del !lol)

Mike
29-07-2009, 17:39
Spicy soup?

mmMMmm.... get the recipe on here pronto please! :) ;)

The Grand Wazoo
29-07-2009, 23:22
When I was a kid & we lived in places abroad where you could only buy the most basic of ingredients, my Mother used to keep a copy of 'The Pauper's Cookbook' close at hand.

My favourite meal of all time is from this book & I still make it for myself when I'm in my weekday pad. It's great, cheap & only one pot to wash!!

I love the way some of the most simple & basic food can be the most fulfilling.

Onion, Bacon and Potato Hotpot

4 onions
4 large potatoes
1/2 lb bacon rashers or bacon offcuts (often need a good soak to remove the saltiness)
1 pint milk
2 oz flour
2 oz butter

Peel and slice onions and potatoes, slicing the onions extra thin. Cut the bacon into small strips & fry it off.
Use the liquid from the bacon to help make the sauce with the flour, milk and butter. Add cheese if you like.

Grease a casserole with a lid. Fill the casserole with alternating layers of potato, onion and bacon, ending with a layer of potato. Loads of fresh ground black pepper on top of every layer.

Pour the white sauce over it and give it a shake to distribute the sauce.

Cook on Gas Mark 6 or 200 degrees for an hour. Take the lid off, turn oven down to Gas Mark 4 or 180 degrees & leave it till it goes brown on top. You can sprinkle some cheese over it at this point.

Serve it with peas & loads more of that pepper!!

Themis
04-10-2009, 08:37
Ok, guys, I have a little secret to confess : I'm the cook at home (not my lady), so cooking is more than a hobby for me...

So, a starter: Hazelnut soup

1 small-med lettyce
1 onion
125g of hazelnuts
1 egg
50g of double cream
butter

Clean then chop the lettyce. Cook it a few minutes with 30g of butter and the chopped onion.
Add the hazelnuts and 1lt of warm water. Boil gently for 30 minutes.
Mix well the egg yolk with the cream.
Put the soup and the cream into a blender, salt, pepper, (whatever secret aroma you like: nutmeg for instance) blend as needed.

Serve immediately. :)

Marco
04-10-2009, 15:27
Sounds interesting, Dimitri - might give that a go.

Here's what my good lady is cooking for dinner this evening:

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2004-05:duckolives

Looking forward to it - yum yum! :)

I've selected a rather nice 1995 Médoc to wash it down with. Salut! :cheers:

Marco.

Themis
04-10-2009, 16:39
Sounds interesting, Dimitri - might give that a go.

Here's what my good lady is cooking for dinner this evening:

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2004-05:duckolives

Looking forward to it - yum yum! :)

I've selected a rather nice 1995 Médoc to wash it down with. Salut! :cheers:

Marco.

:interesting: A Medoc is a very good choice with duck ! Monsieur est un connaisseur ! ;)

Me, I prepare some Lasagne (with my secret ingredients: 2 cloves and a little bit of cinnamon for the tomato sauce) :)

Marco
04-10-2009, 16:56
Merci, Dimitri. Ton compliment me touche beaucoup! J'aime bien les bordeaux mais je préfère tout de même les vins français :)

Anyway, back to English now, as it's not fair on our non multi-lingual members... ;)

We're also having Crème de Mûre with some Pouilly Fumé, beforehand, as an aperitif. Yes we spoil ourselves on a Sunday!

Incidentally, the correct term is 'lasagne', not 'lasagna'. It's always in the plural form ('lasagne'), unless you're eating just one single sheet of pasta! :lolsign:

Sorry to be pedantic, but these things bother me... I'll let you know how the Médoc goes with the duck. I hope you enjoy your lasagne.

À bientôt!

Marco.

Themis
04-10-2009, 17:18
Incidentally, the correct term is 'lasagne', not 'lasagna'.
Don't worry, if I want my English to get better, I need to be told when it's not ok. Thank you, corrected. :)

Just be sure the temperature is no less than 15-16°C and no more than 18°C, let it "breathe" for half an hour, and the Medoc will be (more than) fine !

Marco
04-10-2009, 17:26
Hi Dimitri,

Your English is very good indeed. I wasn't correcting that though; I was correcting your Italian! ;)

Thank you for your advice regarding the Médoc. However, I usually decant wine in advance of a meal, instead of simply pulling the cork to let it 'breathe'. This usually does a better job of aerating the wine, in my experience - even when there is little or no sediment to remove :)

Marco.

Barry
04-10-2009, 17:34
Good old fashioned beef stew with dumplings, boiled Charlotte potatoes, Chantenay carrots, brocolli and peas, washed down with a 2007 Californian Cabernet Sauvignon of modest pretensions.

Decanting wine, because of the larger surface area the wine is exposed to, permits a shorter breathing time for the wine. If the wine is a particularly good vintage, I will allow an hour sometimes two for the wine to breath en boutille.

Cheers

Marco
04-10-2009, 17:40
Sounds great, Barry. It's just the right season for stew. I think we're going to be 'road-testing' a new recipe for Cassoulet tomorrow in preparation for the Toyster's next visit, authentic Toulouse sausages and all...

He's a bit of a connoisseur, so it has to be right :)

Marco.

Barry
04-10-2009, 17:46
Sounds great, Barry. It's just the right season for stew. I think we're going to be 'road-testing' a new recipe for Cassoulet tomorrow in preparation for the Toyster's next visit, authentic Toulouse sausages and all...

He's a bit of a connoisseur, so it has to be right :)

Marco.

Ah Cassoulet - Steve's in for a bit of a treat. Takes a while to prepare but is well worth the effort.

If it doesn't sound too pretentious, the best cassoulet I have ever tasted (and I could never achieve the same result) was in Paris and in Antananarivio, Madegascar.

Regards

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:05
This is more of a 'side dish' or 'snack'... but bloody tasty!

1lb 6oz (ish) potatoes
2" by 1" piece fresh ginger - chopped
3 or 4 large cloves garlic
3 - 4 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper/chili powder/chili flakes
1 tsp. fennel seeds (more won't hurt :))
5 tbsp. veg. oil
Boil potatoes in their skins, cool completely, peel and dice into 3/4 inch cubes. Puree the ginger, garlic, water, turmeric, salt and cayenne in a blender and make a paste. Heat the oil. Add the fennel to the very hot oil and stir a couple of times.

Then add the paste and stir for a couple of minutes. Finally add the potatoes and stir until they have a golden brown crust on them. The paste should stick to the potatoes and form the crust.
Eat!

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:22
1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
25fl oz (720ml) plain yogurt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
¾ inch (2cm) stick of cinnamon
½ teaspoon whole cloves
3lb (1kg 350g) stewing lamb cut into 2 inch (5cm) cubes
2 ½ teaspoons salt – or to taste
4 teaspoons bright red paprika mixed with ¼ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 ½ teaspoons dried ginger powder
1 ½ pints (845ml) water
¼ teaspoon garam masala

Measure out the different spices.
Grind the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar or grinder until fine
Heat the oil in a large pot over a high heat. When hot, put in the cinnamon and cloves. A second later, put in all the meat and salt. Stir the meat and cook, still on a high heat, for about 5 minutes.
Now put in the paprika and cayenne (It is the cayenne which gives the dish its “heat”. I usually put in a teaspoon but feel free to put in more or less depending on your taste buds.) and give the meat a good stir. Slowly add the yogurt, 4-5 fl oz (100-150ml) at a time stirring the meat vigorously as you do so to prevent 'curdling'. Add all the yogurt this way.
Keep cooking on high heat until all the liquid has boiled away. Alas, this phase of the cooking requires close attention and the diminishing liquid will also tend to splatter making a mess of your cooker.
Add the fennel and ginger.
Now put in 1 ½ pints (846ml) water and again reduce the liquid on the high heat until you have a thick, reddish brown sauce. Again, I fear there will be splattering but it won’t take long to clean up the top of your cooker.
Add the garam masala and serve with Basmati rice and a relish. Enjoy!

Whoever finds the cinnamon stick wins a prize!

Marco
14-11-2009, 13:23
Nice one, Mike. Sounds fab. I'll pass them onto my resident chef! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:26
There's more....

I'm doing a complete meal! :)

Marco
14-11-2009, 13:34
Ooooh... Then do carry on, Raymond Blanc ;)

:youtheman:

Marco.

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:37
Uncooked basmati rice measured to the 15 fl oz (425ml) level of a measuring jug
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 fresh hot green chili, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon very finely minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon salt (a bit more or a bit less depending on saltiness of the chicken stock)
1 pint chicken stock
Pick over rice, and place it in a large bowl. Wash rice with several changes of water. Drain.
Pour 2 pints of fresh water over the rice, and let it soak for 30 minutes. Transfer to a sieve, and let drain for 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until onion has lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice, green chili, garlic, Garam Masala, and salt. Stir gently until all the grains have been coated with oil, about 2-3 minutes. If the rice begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, reduce heat slightly.
Pour in the stock, and bring the rice to a boil. Cover with foil and a tight-fitting lid, and reduce heat to low. Cook 20-25 minutes more then allow the pan to stand undisturbed for 5-10 mins. Mix gently with a fork and serve.

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:39
Ooooh... Then do carry on, Raymond Blanc ;)

:youtheman:

Marco.

Madhur Jaffrey if you don't mind!... for they are based very heavily on her yummy recipes! :)

Marco
14-11-2009, 13:42
Yesh, but 'Madhur Jaffrey' didn't rhyme! ;)

Marco.

Themis
14-11-2009, 13:43
Very nice recipes Mike ! ;)
I'll try it with different qualities of yogurt, to see how it comes out.

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:55
1/2lb (225g) Tomatoes
3oz (75g) Onion, peeled
4 heaped tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper/chili powder
1/2 teaspoon roasted and ground cumin seeds
Cut tomatoes and onion into 1/4 inch (5mm) dice and put them in a non metalic serving bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix. Although its called a 'relish', you should have what looks like a chunky salsa!

Cachumber. Done!

Mike
14-11-2009, 13:57
Very nice recipes Mike ! ;)
I'll try it with different qualities of yogurt, to see how it comes out.

I find the very thick 'set' type yogurts to be best!

Give it a quick 'beat' with a fork until creamy and then use as above...

REM
14-11-2009, 14:22
I find the very thick 'set' type yogurts to be best!

Give it a quick 'beat' with a fork until creamy and then use as above...

Agreed, if for use in cooking you always need to thoroughly beat yogurt to prevent curdling. A word of warning if using supermarket own brand set or 'Greek Style' yogurt, check the contents for the sugar levels some of them have 35g in 500ml, that is almost as much as a can of Coke:mental:.

Themis
14-11-2009, 17:17
I usually use a Greek "strained" yogurt for cooking.
If I can't get a strained one, then I strain (leave on a towel for about half an hour, tightly hung above a pan) the Greek yogurt bought.

Lily Munster
15-11-2009, 17:05
Chinese spicy soup for 2.

Broth:

1 litre stock (chicken or veg)
1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled & thinly sliced into sticks
1 red chilli, sliced (seeds in or out, how big a girl are you?)
1 dessertspoon soy sauce.

Bung broth ingredients into a pan, bring up to the boil, turn off the heat & leave to infuse while you chop the other stuff.

This is where I look to see what I've got in the fridge. I usually add...

2 spring onions, chopped
2 baby sweetcorn, chopped
2 green beans, chopped
some red or green pepper, diced
6 chinese dumplings.

Bring back up to the boil & simmer for 8 mins to cook the dumplings. At the last minute, bung in some chopped coriander.

Optional:-
Chuck some beansprouts/chopped pak choi/cooked noodles/sliced tofu into a bowl and ladle the hot broth on top.

Hope you enjoy!
Del.

Mike
15-11-2009, 17:58
Sorted, Ta! :)

Can I add more chili though? :eyebrows:

Lily Munster
15-11-2009, 18:07
Mike, you can add as much chilli as you like.
I just thought some of the 'girls' on here might be light-weight in the chilli department!:)

XXDel

Rare Bird
03-12-2009, 13:52
Beef Wellington anyone?

Covenant
26-12-2009, 12:27
Bloody superb-cook in goose fat with Garlick and Rosemary. Squash em to increase surface area. Best Christmas dinner I have had in years. See Channel 4 website for proper details.

Covenant
26-12-2009, 12:28
Sorry-move to food thread please mods.

Marco
26-12-2009, 12:48
Bloody superb-cook in goose fat with Garlick and Rosemary. Squash em to increase surface area. Best Christmas dinner I have had in years. See Channel 4 website for proper details.

Yep, Jerry, they're excellent! Did you try the goose to go with them? ;)

Honestly, roast goose is *the* best thing you can have for Christmas day. It knocks bland, boring, turkey (even the best free-range stuff) into a cocked hat!!

All you need to do is use a decent butcher and order it well in advance... We usually order ours at the end of September! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Covenant
26-12-2009, 13:11
We normally go for a capon but couldn't get one this year so just a boring turkey. Did Jamies roast veg as well. He knows his stuff that lad.
This xmas dinner was much better than the last few years 'cos my wife cooked it instead of us going to the in-laws who dont believe in experimenting at all.
Anyway we are about to sit ten people down today to beef in beer with sweet potato chips. My job is to stack the chips up in a vertical lattice. :lol:

Marco
26-12-2009, 13:31
Haha... Love it! :eyebrows:

I hope your meal goes well for you - sounds nice.

Do try a goose next year; honestly it'll blow your mind (if it's cooked properly with all the fat rendered down) and you'll never eat turkey again! ;)

Historically, goose is the (genuinely) traditional meat to eat on Christmas day in Britain - turkey is a bloody American 'invention'!

Del's posting her recipe for the perfect roast goose later for anyone who'd like to try it :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
26-12-2009, 13:53
turkey is a bloody American 'invention'!

Turkey is tripe, i detest it..Rather eat corn fed chicken anyday...Goose Rocks.

Alex_UK
02-03-2010, 20:14
As my wife keeps reminding me, I am now officially obese - the damage having been done since 1st Jan 2008 when I quit the ciggies - 4 stone later, I need to do something!

So, no more treats, and lots of healthy meals - Sue made a great impromptu meal last night - Sea Bass with a mature cheddar tomato, herb, garlic and caper crust (as simple as it sounds - put some chopped tinned tomatoes on the fish fillets, grate some bread on top mixed with a small amount of mature cheddar cheese and garlic, sprinkle with herbs and add some capers. Served with a vegetable medley of leaks, broccoli and carrots in the rest of the tinned tomatoes.) Lovely!

Tonight, one of the worlds quickest but scrummiest dinners - smoked haddock with poached eggs - is there anything more lovely than a soft poached egg? Yum!

DanJennings
08-03-2010, 11:06
As my wife keeps reminding me, I am now officially obese - the damage having been done since 1st Jan 2008 when I quit the ciggies - 4 stone later, I need to do something!

Ugh don't remind me, having a similar problem myself.... I recently got some new scales and had a shock, over 19 stone :eek:

Alex_UK
08-03-2010, 18:12
Well I lost 4lb in my first week, so that's a good start - going to cut down the alcohol this week, then try and get out on my bike a bit as the evenings get lighter...

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2010, 00:06
Right then!
Everything about this post is wrong wrong wrong!
I'm not a big chocolate eater - despite all evidence to the contrary (not least the fact that my x-axis has been growing well out of proportion to my y-axis since I was about 17), I don't have a particularly sweet tooth.

I drink tea every now & then, but I prefer very strong black coffee. If I do drink tea, then my preference is for Assam - I don't like all that flowery flavoured nonsense.

This thread is about recipes & I haven't got a recipe for you.

However, you must try this. It's a Belgian Earl Grey flavoured chocolate and it is just fantastic.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jn30IzZSRR8/SjFAtftvOAI/AAAAAAAAD4g/eCChMoyfQ00/s400/dolfin+chocolate.jpg

It's a strong dark chocolate, minimum 55% cocoa content (bejeeeezus!)
The flavours go together so well & so subtly the result is just indescribable.
Seek it out
We got it in a Booth's supermarket - one of the real pleasures of living in the northwest of England is the privilage of being able to use this place to shop in!

goraman
08-06-2010, 01:33
I slow grilled 2 beautiful 16oz.Range fed Fillet Mingnons,steamed asperauguss, baked potato and salad then my wife says to me,(I want last nights Tandoori chicken left overs):scratch:
So I'll be a drinking a couple of Moretti's while I try to understand this.:mental:BTW lots of sour cream,butter, mushrooms and crumbly blue cheese dressing.

Marco
08-06-2010, 07:13
I presume that you gave her a slap and told her to eat it or wear it!! ;)

Marco.

Ian Walker
08-06-2010, 09:16
I think you should change your name to BIG DINNER MAN...you could feed a family of four with that lot:lol:

Barry
06-07-2010, 17:55
During these balmy days, we’ve been living on salads of various types. Here is a simple recipe for a rice salad I like to make.

Ingredients

300g long grain rice
2 cupful garden peas (frozen ones are fine)
300g sweetcorn niblets
1/3 cucumber
120g Italian salami (I use 40g salami Milano, 40g salami Ungherese and 40g salami Napoli)
1 handful of pine kernels
1 handful sunflower seeds
A few capers (optional)

Step 1
Play some Mozart on your audio system and turn it up so you can hear it clearly in the kitchen.

Step 2
Thoroughly wash the rice and add it to a large pan of boiling water. Turn down the heat so the water is simmering. Cook for 15 minutes, periodically removing the starch that floats on the surface. (If you don’t do this, the rice will stick together)

Step 3
Whilst the rice is cooking, cook the peas in a steamer for a few minutes.

Step 4
Cut up the salami slices into short strips, and cut up the cucumber into small pieces.

Step 5
When the rice has cooked, empty the pan into a large sieve and wash with boiling water.

Step 6
Distribute the rice into three vegetable dishes and gently fold in the peas, sweetcorn, cucumber, salami and seeds.

I don’t add any seasoning, as there is enough salt in the salami, however some fresh black pepper may be added to taste.

Step 7
Place in a fridge to chill overnight.

Enjoy with a glass of chilled sauvignon blanc, chardonnay or pinot grigio.

Techno Commander
06-07-2010, 18:36
Anyone for cheesecake? :)

TOFFEE CARAMEL CHEESECAKE

Serves a family of 6 (or one bloke):eyebrows:

Crust

Basic graham cracker crust. Put 1/3 package of honey grahams, 2 oz butter and 1/3 cup of light brown sugar in a food processor and grind it up. Line the bottom of a spring-form pan (the ones with a removable base) with this and put it in the freezer.

Filling

4 packages Philadelphia Original cream cheese,
1 cup sour cream,
5 eggs,
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar,
Juice of 1/4 lemon,
1 tsp vanilla.
Mix all this up in a mixer until it is creamy and smooth. Then add two crushed up Dime bars and fold them into the filling.

Bake at 185C for an hour and 15 minutes. Then cool and refrigerate.

Topping

Make a caramel sauce by cooking a cup of sugar with 1/3 cup of water until it forms a light brown colour. Then remove from the heat and SLOWLY add a cup of heavy cream. It's hot. Don't pour cold cream into it quickly. Then a cut up 4oz butter and stir until melted. Cool.

When the caramel sauce is around 40-50 degrees pour it over the cheesecake, which should still be in the spring form pan. Shave some chocolate over the top and refrigerate the whole thing overnight before serving. It is about as good as cheese cake gets. Not only is it high in fat and cholesterol but also it is also fairly high in carbohydrates. Yummy.:eek:

Techno Commander
06-07-2010, 18:39
Cookies For Engineers

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

532.35 cm3 gluten
4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
4.9 cm3 refined halite
236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen protein units
473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size #10)

Method:

To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor #1) with an overall heat transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr, add ingredients one, two and three with constant agitation. In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm, add ingredients four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogenous. To reactor #2, add ingredient eight, followed by three equal volumes of the homogenous mixture in reactor #1. Additionally, add ingredient nine and ten slowly, with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction.

Using a screw extrude attached to a #4 nodulizer, place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown. Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25C heat-transfer table, allowing the product to come to equilibrium.

Conclusion:

Slowly macerate using mandible mounted pre-formed calcium matter destructors and allow to dissolve into solution with gastro-intestinal acids.

Effem
07-07-2010, 21:59
Now that we have Marrows in the shops, here is a delicious recipe that is a world away from just boiling or stuffing the poor things :eyebrows:

INGREDIENTS

Marrow
Oil or butter
1 large onion
Plain Flour
Half a pint of soured cream
Fresh or dried Dill
Bacon (smoked)
Chorizo (Optional)
Salt & Pepper

Peel, de-seed and roughly grate the marrow. Put in a large bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes. This draws the liquid out of the marrow so you can control the consistency of the dish - you don't want to end up with a runny soup!

Peel and finely chop a large onion, sweat it off in some butter or oil in a large saucepan, but do not allow it to brown. Add a couple of heaped tablespoons of plain flour to make a roux paste, but don't make it too thick.

Drain the marrow and place in a clean tea towel. Squeeze as much liquid as is possible from the marrow, then add to the onions/roux mix in the saucepan. Add half of the soured cream and a little water to make the mixture "loose" but not runny. Add seasoning and some dill weed. Fit a lid to the saucepan and simmer gently for around 30 minutes stirring often until the marrow is cooked and tender.

Cut up the bacon and fry until brown and crispy, add to the saucepan just before serving, then add the remainder of the Soured Cream and some more dill weed to refresh the beautiful aroma of this wonderful herb. To add a dash more pep, finely chop up some Chrorizo and add it to the bacon.

Serve with fresh crusty bread and butter.

Lovely :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
22-07-2010, 12:46
Yummy and reasonably healthy, this is currently my "signature sandwich..." (I'm rather partial to a sarnie!)

2 slices of seeded or granary bed ~ 150 kcals, 0.6g Fat, 0 Saturated fat
2 slices pastrami ~ 36 kcals, 0.8g Fat, 0.4g Saturated fat
30g Philadelphia Light or similar cream cheese ~ 47 kcals, 3.5g Fat, 2.3g Saturated fat
Baby Spinach, Watercress & Rocket ~ not worth counting!
Salt & Pepper

Total nutritional value: 233 kcals , 4.9g Fat, 2.7g Saturated Fat (<10% RDA for all 3)

Pastrami is a real low-fat, low calorie treat - a great alternative to ham or turkey for a change.

Spread the cream cheese on each slice of bread, add a little salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper, and then place the slices of pastrami on one side, add a generous amount of the watercress, baby spinach and rocket leaves. Cut into triangle quarters - the only proper way to cut a sandwich, and enjoy! A lovely peppery taste complimented by the smooth creaminess of the cheese and the fresh green leaves.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/IMG_3261.jpg?t=1279802694

Followed it with a summer-fruit salad of strawberries, grapes, blueberries and fresh pineapple, and a nice cup of Columbia Supremo coffee (black, no sugar = 0 calories, 0 fat.)

Who says losing weight has to be torture? :) (12lbs in the 3 weeks since I "got serious" on 1st July)

Mike
29-07-2010, 20:24
If I make a Quiche... do I become gay? :(

I've done that quite a bit lately and people are 'making comments'! :scratch:

Techno Commander
29-07-2010, 21:22
Best to make them in secret. :)

Mike
29-07-2010, 22:14
Best to make them in secret. :)

D'oh! :doh:

The Grand Wazoo
29-07-2010, 22:20
In a closet?

Techno Commander
30-07-2010, 19:26
And call them pizzas. :)

Effem
31-07-2010, 21:58
Had this again for dinner tonight. Twas 'andsome ;)

Now that we have Marrows in the shops, here is a delicious recipe that is a world away from just boiling or stuffing the poor things :eyebrows:

INGREDIENTS

Marrow
Oil or butter
1 large onion
Plain Flour
Half a pint of soured cream
Fresh or dried Dill
Bacon (smoked)
Chorizo (Optional)
Salt & Pepper

Peel, de-seed and roughly grate the marrow. Put in a large bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes. This draws the liquid out of the marrow so you can control the consistency of the dish - you don't want to end up with a runny soup!

Peel and finely chop a large onion, sweat it off in some butter or oil in a large saucepan, but do not allow it to brown. Add a couple of heaped tablespoons of plain flour to make a roux paste, but don't make it too thick.

Drain the marrow and place in a clean tea towel. Squeeze as much liquid as is possible from the marrow, then add to the onions/roux mix in the saucepan. Add half of the soured cream and a little water to make the mixture "loose" but not runny. Add seasoning and some dill weed. Fit a lid to the saucepan and simmer gently for around 30 minutes stirring often until the marrow is cooked and tender.

Cut up the bacon and fry until brown and crispy, add to the saucepan just before serving, then add the remainder of the Soured Cream and some more dill weed to refresh the beautiful aroma of this wonderful herb. To add a dash more pep, finely chop up some Chrorizo and add it to the bacon.

Serve with fresh crusty bread and butter.

Lovely :eyebrows:

goraman
11-10-2010, 01:57
Stuffed Bell peppers:MMMMMMMMMM
Take a largeish Cast iron duch oven and sautee 3 large white onions and a bulb of garlic in butter.

8 Bell peppers cut the stems out then an inch or 2 down cut the top off and clean them out and rinse the inside.

Mix ground beef 4 to 5 pounds with 3 white onions and a bulb of garlic and 4 diced tomatos,put some chopolti season,oragono,tarrogon,Basil,salt,pepper and a table spoon of liquid smoke in the mix an kneed it all in good.

Make spanish rice a can of tomato soup rice and water and cook it half way till just softened and just getting the red color.Then mix it in with every thing else.

Then stuff the peppers with the mix and fit them into the large dutch oven and place the tops on the peppers,put the rest of the mix around them in the pot.

pour 4 cans or more of tomato soup or tomato sauce over the top and simmer on low for 3 hours.

Then laddle off the juice and wisk with white flour and a little beer till the gravy is thick then pour it back in and simmer for a few min.
Take the lid off and let it stand for 20 min. and eat.

goraman
11-10-2010, 02:34
more pics.

The last picture is the peppers upside down to dain the water out after cleaning.

Welder
19-11-2010, 18:19
This is pretty easy and tastes great. One pot job. You will however need a potato masher or blender. Makes about 6 portions.
One tablespoonful of margarine or butter
7 medium parsnips
1 cooking apple
2 pints of vegetable stock. Try to buy stock with reduced salt.
150 ml of single cream
Parsley and sage and black pepper and 2 cloves. Fresh is best. Get a pepper mill.
A couple of slices of wholemeal bread
Some stilton cheese. Nice, but not vital.

Prolly need the big pot.
Scrub or peel the parsnips and apple. Chop the ends off the parsnip and core the apple.
Cut both apple and parsnip into as small a pieces as you can manage.

Melt the butter in the pot. Want it hot but not burnt.
Tip in the chopped apple and parsnip and give it a stir. Put the lid on the pan and turn the heat as low as you can. Cook for about ten mins stirring occasionally to stop it sticking.
Use boiling water to make the two pints of stock. If you don’t have a measuring jug use a beer glass.
Add the stock and 4 sage leaves or half a teaspoonful, and the 2 cloves to the pot and turn the heat up so the pot boils.
Turn the heat right down and simmer until the parsnips are soft, about 25 mins.
After about 20 mins of cooking dig out the cloves and the sage leaves if you used leaves and get going with the masher. You’re looking to get most of the lumps out. You can keep it on the heat while you mash.
Once you’ve mashed, pour in the cream. Try not to boil it and add some black pepper.
Chuck in plaenty of fresh parsley right at the end.

This is good with very lightly toasted whole meal bread and a few small chunks of stilton cheese thrown in.

Its called Parsnip and apple soup.

Marco
20-11-2010, 09:45
Nice one, John - just right for this time of year! :)

2 pints of vegetable stock. Try to buy stock with reduced salt.

Or make your own? ;)

I do love parsnip soup. Curried parsnip soup is gorgeous. Have you tried that?

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
20-11-2010, 10:48
Yum! Spicy parsnip soup's a regular in this house.

Welder
20-11-2010, 13:47
Marco.
“Or make your own? ;)”
Indeed Marco, you can’t beat home made stock but the making of it requires a bit of planning ahead; something I’m not known for :rolleyes:

I haven’t tried curried parsnip soup. I do make curries but I make my own paste and that’s fairly time consuming and of course, referring to the planning bit, I’ve usually run out of something :doh:

Welder
26-11-2010, 11:51
I prefer when possible to use fresh ingredients but it isn’t always practicable.
This goes well with fresh linguine pasta.

Pack of pre cooked mussels.
(Fresh mussels are even better but you need to know what you’re doing with them. Get it wrong and you’ll be ill. Read up on it if you’re interested in doing them fresh.)
It’s quick to make so you might want to get the pasta organized and cook both together. The sauce below takes about 20 mins. Cook in the frying pan if it’s deep. Makes enough for 2 or 3 portions.

1 large tablespoonful of butter or margarine. Butter tastes better for this or you can use olive oil.
4 large cloves of garlic
10 shallots
Black olives
2 tins of chopped tomatoes. I think its worth investing in good quality Italian tomatoes for this.
Sun dried tomatoes in alive oil
Capers
10 to 15 fresh basil leaves
Tomato puree
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh washed wild rocket
Fresh parmesan

Peel and chop the cloves of garlic and the shallots. No need to mince, just rough chop.
Take about 20 black olives, take out the stones if necessary and cut the olives in half.
Open the tinned toms and drain the juice out of ONE can into a glass.
Roughly chop about ten of the sun dried tomatoes.
Roughly chop the fresh basil leaves.

Melt the butter in the pan. Don’t burn it!
Add the chopped garlic and onion and gently cook for 2/3 mins. You want to cook but not brown.
Add the mussels. Don’t add any of the water/juice that comes in the pre packed mussels..
Cook on a medium heat for about 5/6 mins. The art here is to cook without burning any of the stuff in the pan so you need to stir and watch lots.
Tip in both the tins of tomatoes and add 8 inch strip of tomatoe puree from a tube or 3 heaped teaspoonfuls from a jar and the sundried tomatoes.
Add the black olives, capers, chopped basil and loads of black pepper.
Cook this gently on a medium heat fro a further 10/12 mins stirring often. The sauce should be fairly thick. If it looks too runny cook for a bit longer, too thick, add some of the tomatoe juice from the glass.
Add a generous handful of the rocket and a generous sprinkling of parmesan to serve.

goraman
05-12-2010, 03:47
One of my favorite cold,rainy day dinners.
4.5 pounds corned beef,2 pounds babey carrots,2 pounds small red potatos and under the meat 2 heads of cabbage and one packet of dill weed,garlic,red pepper,black pepper corns and sea salt.
4 hours later and your eatting,one hour later and your crapping(cabbage is better than prunes).
BTW:boil the meat 3 hours ,then add the potatos,carrots 1 hour,then add the cabbage 30 min.

goraman
05-12-2010, 05:57
The only thing I ever ate that made my eyes water,not from spices but a powerful urge to vomit with every bite,a Balut.
Yet, I ate it with a smile like it was my favorite.
I didn't eat the rats,just the Balut all these pictures came from an online artical about strange foods.
But the 21 day duck egg called a Balut was offered to me by a coworker,who ate them all the time.
He is from Cambodia and even eats roasted Jerusalum crickets(potato bugs!)

How about a wine recomdation:
The Balut with champain for breakfast.
The Rats with a dry red like Merlot.
The crunchy soft centered bugs with a pink Zinfindale or Blush.
I think the right wine would be key,and even more importaint in large amount.

Alex_UK
05-12-2010, 07:40
The only thing I ever ate that made my eyes water,not from spices but a powerful urge to vomit with every bite,a Balut.

That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever heard of! :spew:

Why? - just, WHY?

Marco
05-12-2010, 09:43
I nearly heaved up my breakfast.....! As they say in Glasgow, that is just PURE BOGGIN' :bog: :spew: :spew: :vomfest:

Describe the flavour, though......:eyebrows:

Marco.

Jac Hawk
05-12-2010, 11:28
well you know what the chineese say, "if it's back faces the sky, it's eddible".

anyway would any of you guys like an authentic recipie for chicken & chorizo paella, and also sangria to wash it down with?

Marco
05-12-2010, 11:29
Yes please, Mike! :)

Marco.

Jac Hawk
05-12-2010, 12:25
Ok this is for you Marco.

Chicken & Chorizo Paella

Ingedients

2 large chicken breasts
1/3 of chrizo ring (you can get good ones in lidle they're in plastic bags, and they are the same shape as mattersons sausages but thinner)
1/2 jar of roasted red peppers (once again availabe in lidle)
1 large red onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup of frozen peas
2 cups rice (i like risotto type, but its up to you)
1 pint of stock (chicken or veg)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 or 5 saffron threads (powdered) or 1 tsp turmeric
salt / pepper
4 or 5 tbsp olive oil

So to start cut your chicken into medium cubes and cut your chorizo into 5mm slices, roughly chop your onion, peel and finely chop the garlic then powder your saffron with a pestle and mortar

then take a very large frying pan and heat your oil on a medium high heat and gently fry your chicken and chorizo for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Now add the onion, garlic and cayenne and continue to cook unit the onion softens. now turn the heat up and add the rice and saffron / turmeric and fry for about 2 minutes, now turn the heat down and add the stock.

leave the pan on the stove simmering (it need to simmer gentley) while you slice 4 or 5 of the roasted pepers up, they are packed in jars in there own juice so you could add a little of the juice to your paella (i do), after about 4 or 5 minutes add the peppers and peas and continue to cook until the liquid has been absorbed. now test the rice, if it still is a bit hard add some water and cook a bit longer.
Now turn the heat off, cover the pan and leave it to rest for about 4 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Sangria

1 bottle of the cheapest red wine you can find
1 can fanta orange
1 can fanta lemon
1 orange
1 lemon
Cointreau to taste

ok get yourself a very large pitcher, chop the fruit up into cubes, add the wine and fruit to the pitcher, then both cans of fanta, give it a stir, then add about 1/4 bottle of cuantreau stir again, stick it in the fridge for about an hour.

Take it out and get hammered drunk :cool:

Marco
05-12-2010, 12:31
Cheers, Mike - I'll defo give that a go this week and report back! :)

Marco.

shane
05-12-2010, 13:30
Not sure about healthy, but we made a belter of a crumble the other night. Every year we go out and pick sloes to make sloe gin for Christmas. Simply cover the sloes with gin and sugar for about 3 months and bob's yer uncle. This year we decided to try damsons as well, but when it came to bottling time it seemed a waste to throw the damsons away after decanting the gin, so into the crumble they went.

Can't remember what it tasted like.....

WAD62
05-12-2010, 16:33
Cheers, Mike - I'll defo give that a go this week and report back! :)

Marco.

..and don't stir the rice!!!

Or you'll end up with a mushy risotto, the missus is from Madrid and gets very stroppy when she spots someone stirring a paella.

Oh and the base should almost carbonised, nice and crunchy, use proper paella rice it helps.

It's very nice with rabbit, but the ones they use there are not as gamey in flavour.

'Bright eyes...etc'

goraman
05-12-2010, 17:11
I nearly heaved up my breakfast.....! As they say in Glasgow, that is just PURE BOGGIN' :bog: :spew: :spew: :vomfest:

Describe the flavour, though......:eyebrows:

Marco.
First off mine was 21 days developed(the max before feathers start to imerge)
The egg is then left to ferment for some time mabey a day I'm not sure,I have also heard 3 days,this alows for enzimes to soften the little scull,and beak and bones.Then it is boild for a few min to kill bacteria.

You then poke a small hole in the bottom end of the egg and suck out the slightly sour ducky soup that rises to the top of the egg.When you peel it back some it exposes a yoke sack full of blood vessals and that tastes like a sour egg yoke,next you get to the baby duckie,it's texture is both mushie,and at times chewy,my freind was chomping with his mouth open and the little feet hanging out!I ate it alot slower, trying not to think about what it looks like but I don't think thats entierly possable.I thought it would stink horrabley but it smelled just a little stronger than a boiled egg.
The taste of the little guy was not as bad as the textures it really tasted like greassy duck but the crunch of the beak and little scull,the rubbery little bones.That never really go's away UUUUHHH!!!

What an ice breaker dinner for a first date,Yes the lady and I will start with two Baluts and a pot of tea.
Next will have the deep fried chewha on a stick and for desert prehaps some of the curd cheese made from human breast milk.

The Vinyl Adventure
05-12-2010, 17:30
Jeff!! Really what a truly beautiful description ...
Have you seen the photos on wikipedia ... Really why would anyone want to eat something that looks like that ....
I'll give most things a go but line is definitely somewhere between chicken period and unborn dead chicken!!

goraman
05-12-2010, 18:15
Jeff!! Really what a truly beautiful description ...
Have you seen the photos on wikipedia ... Really why would anyone want to eat something that looks like that ....
I'll give most things a go but line is definitely somewhere between chicken period and unborn dead chicken!!

I have been known to try alot of foods from different cultures,when a work mate offers something from his home country,I felt it would be rude not to give it a go.I did my best not to turn green,I even tried to smile a little but my watering eyes told a bigger truth,It was UNHOLEY GROSS!

Alex_UK
05-12-2010, 20:36
I have eaten some pretty unusual meat (horse, crocodile, ostrich, buffalo come to mind) I'd try the rat or dog, but just no - a whole crunchy embryo is just plain wrong! The durty bastads (as Janice & Ray from the Catherine Tate Show would say... :))

WAD62
06-12-2010, 15:33
I worked in Hongkong for about 4 years during the nineties, just before the handover, whilst in Macau for a weekend we went to a rather plush local restaurant, I ordered duck, when it arrived I assumed it was surrounded by little plumbs, or some kind of fruit, on closer inspection they were tiny roasted duck embryos...err I have to admit they were delicious.

The worst however came from my opening batting partner for 'Little Sai Wan Cricket Club'. We were getting padded up in the changing rooms, and he was wincing and moaning as he was trying to attach his box and thigh guard. The problem was bubons in his groin and armpit area...disgusting enough already! It transpired he'd come down with this after a business trip to Beijing. He'd been taken out to a 'theme' restaurant, the theme being the 'cultural revolution', and the subsistence food people were forced to eat. But you can't refuse to 'give face' as they say over there, i.e. to refuse generosity is bad form, and he'd have lost the deal, so he had to eat what was served up....

Starters; A plate of dying prawns, surrounded by grasshoppers with their rear legs removed, all still moving!!!
Main; A fellow arrived with a pot of boiling rice alcohol, a wicker basket, and a protective glove. He pulled a huge live rat out of the basket, and whilst holding its tail submerged it in the rice alcohol for no more than a couple of minutes. It was then skinned, quartered, and served!!!!!!!!!!! Might just be a connection to his ailments there I think...nasty.

goraman
07-12-2010, 18:31
I worked in Hongkong for about 4 years during the nineties, just before the handover, whilst in Macau for a weekend we went to a rather plush local restaurant, I ordered duck, when it arrived I assumed it was surrounded by little plumbs, or some kind of fruit, on closer inspection they were tiny roasted duck embryos...err I have to admit they were delicious.

The worst however came from my opening batting partner for 'Little Sai Wan Cricket Club'. We were getting padded up in the changing rooms, and he was wincing and moaning as he was trying to attach his box and thigh guard. The problem was bubons in his groin and armpit area...disgusting enough already! It transpired he'd come down with this after a business trip to Beijing. He'd been taken out to a 'theme' restaurant, the theme being the 'cultural revolution', and the subsistence food people were forced to eat. But you can't refuse to 'give face' as they say over there, i.e. to refuse generosity is bad form, and he'd have lost the deal, so he had to eat what was served up....

Starters; A plate of dying prawns, surrounded by grasshoppers with their rear legs removed, all still moving!!!
Main; A fellow arrived with a pot of boiling rice alcohol, a wicker basket, and a protective glove. He pulled a huge live rat out of the basket, and whilst holding its tail submerged it in the rice alcohol for no more than a couple of minutes. It was then skinned, quartered, and served!!!!!!!!!!! Might just be a connection to his ailments there I think...nasty.

I don't know what the deal is with boils in 3rd world countrys,but I 've seen people go to India and come back with horrable boils in Yes,the arm pits, butt and face.

WAD62
07-12-2010, 18:51
...some very specialist bacteria out there I think :(

The Grand Wazoo
08-12-2010, 00:34
.........back to real food before someone gets ill.
This is what I prepared last night & it made it to the table this evening.

Chris’ Secret Spare Rib Recipe

Per Rack of ribs

Marinade:
4 squirts from a tube of tomato puree
2 heaped tablespoons of natural yoghurt
¼ teaspoon garlic paste
2 teaspoons unsweetened chilli paste (no vinegar either!)
2 teaspoons good French mustard
1 heaped teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon oregano
Good pinch of fennel
Lots of fresh ground black pepper

Mix well

Coat the ribs in the marinade & leave in fridge for a few hours (24 if poss.)

Preferably stick ‘em on the barbeque or if it's December & minus 8 outside, then put them on a metal baking tray in the top of a hot oven (220 deg C) for ½ hour – 40 minutes.

All quantities are approximate depending on my mood!

Alex_UK
08-12-2010, 13:07
Sounds good Chris, not very secret though now, is it!?

Preferably stick ‘em on the barbeque or if it's December & minus 8 outside, then put them on a metal baking tray in the top of a hot oven (220 deg C) for ½ hour – 40 minutes.

Still got the bbq out last week, in the snow! Just isn't a better way to cook a fillet steak IMO...

Mark Grant
23-12-2010, 16:07
How to cook perfect roast chicken anyone ?

Bought a chicken for Christmas dinner that weighs 3.6 kg that is 7.9 pounds.

Any ideas to make it really tasty and how to cook ?
in a roasting dish un covered, or covered with foil etc?

We really like rosemary and garlic, so any recipes ?

How long to cook for and at what temperature for the perfect chicken ?

Any tips appreciated :cool:

Jac Hawk
18-01-2011, 23:01
Ok guys now i know it sounds wierd but trust me it actually tastes great, anyway it's a bacon and orange marmalade sandwich, i used smoked bacon and grilled it but i guess you could use unsmoked and cook it anyway you want, i was listening to radio 2 one night on the way home from work, that's where i got the idea, they were on about strange food combinations that work together and the bacon & marmalade sarnie cropped up, anyway give it a go :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
18-01-2011, 23:50
I love Eggs Benadict..

While were on Bacon anyone know whaere i can get some pink salt from?

Barry
18-01-2011, 23:54
I love Eggs Benadict..

While were on Bacon anyone know where I can get some pink salt from?

Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Himalayan-Pink-Coarse-Salt-250g/dp/B00336Y8ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295394775&sr=1-1

Regards

Rare Bird
19-01-2011, 00:07
Well blow me down, thanks Barry

aquapiranha
19-01-2011, 09:09
I found a very nice (and probably expensive!) juicer in a kitchen cupboard yesterday. I made up a carrot, parsley and celery juice drink and it was very, very nice! I imagine it was healthy too, not a bad thing when you need to lose a few pounds like I do. :)

radio
04-02-2011, 08:57
Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Himalayan-Pink-Coarse-Salt-250g/dp/B00336Y8ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295394775&sr=1-1

Regards

iv,e just ordered some pink salt,i treked in the everest region some years back,so i,ll be Sprinkling now whith happy memories:)thanks guys,maria

Neil McCauley
30-03-2011, 21:56
I'm happy to post here a tried and tested recipe for a fish curry. Has never failed in 20 years.

This one is 'modified' to take into account the rarity of Indian King Fish here. Thus this one uses any UK firm white fish. Works very well with Cod or Halibut. No chance with Plaice. Oily fish is a no-no too. So if anyone is interested then I'll post it here. Hick, burp - and so on on. H

Marco
30-03-2011, 22:13
Hi Howard,

Yes, please do. I love fish curry! :)

Marco.

Neil McCauley
30-03-2011, 22:24
Hi Howard,

Yes, please do. I love fish curry! :)

Marco.

Okay, it'll be here tomorrow night. Thanks. H

Marco
30-03-2011, 22:27
Excellent. I'll ask my resident chef-esse to make it at the weekend :)

Marco.

Neil McCauley
31-03-2011, 20:50
Excellent. I'll ask my resident chef-esse to make it at the weekend :) Marco.

A damn fine fish curry:

This is not my recipe. I’m not a natural cook. My successes are only because I follow the recipe. I mention this so you don’t get the wrong idea.

Ingredients:

Feeds 4 ordinary people, or me + one other.

A couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 x Large onion + 4 big cloves of fresh unboiled garlic finely chopped
1 x Teaspoon of Freshly grated root ginger. (bottled instant ginger just does not work in this recipe)
1 x Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1 x Teaspoon Chilli powder. (depends on the strength of the powder of course. Frankly half this amount of hot powder works fine)
2 x Teaspoon of Ground Coriander (I’m tempted from time to time to use 1 teaspoon of the powder + a fistful of crushed fresh Coriander. Not crucial but the latter adds a certain ‘bite’ that the powder doesn’t quite achieve).
1 x Teaspoon of Garam Masala. (sometimes I've doubled this with no adverse effects for anyone)
1 x Can of chopped tomatoes 13oz size
1 x Teaspoon sea salt if you can but ordinary will do fine
2 x Teaspoons of sugar. (Rather important this is. I've used brown sugar, demerara sugar or muscavado sugar all with subtle but worthwhile difference. The type is less important than quantity.)

Proceed #1

Fry onions in the oil until golden. Take care not to burn the edges ‘cos it really does damage the end result
Add all the spices in one go and keep stirring until you get a sort of muddy substance. At this point I find most of the time that I have to add oil to stop sticking or scorching. This addition has no adverse effect on the taste. Until I upgrade to an induction hob (brilliant technology; makes gas seem like stone-age technology) I’ll have to pay close attention to this part of the process.
Then add the salt, sugar and toms and stir over a medium heat for 10 mins.

Proceed #2a

Now then, the original recipe assumes you have Indian King Fish to hand. About 16oz or so. This is white and much denser than our homegrown white fish. And candidly if you aren’t working on a tight budget then it is worth getting. If so, you add this fish, cubed around 3/4” and stir into the sauce. Cook until the fish is tender. This fish will keep its shape and texture

Proceed #2b

Cod works fine as does Halibut. BUT you add the fish into the cooked sauce rather than cook it in the sauce, you are in fact warming it through in the sauce on the lowest possible heat setting. Otherwise it will fall apart. It will still be tasty – but won’t look particularly attractive.
Oily fish such as Mackerel doesn’t work. Decent quality salmon works very well, I've substituted pre-boiled pawns for the fish with great success

Future experiments

Not yet tried Monkfish tail meat. I’m less and less interested in red meat but I can’t see any reason why cubed lamb (but not mutton) wouldn’t work. I am thinking of doing an egg version using 6 or 8 free-range hard-boiled eggs.

Final note:

If using King Fish (or very similar) this dish freezes and defrosts very well and the flavours are enhanced whereas using UK fish though doesn’t work. Defrosting breaks cod or halibut apart.

Tim
31-03-2011, 20:58
Nice one... yum. I have a great Thai Red Curry recipe which I may post if there has not been one before. I think I will give this ago too Howard - thanks :)

Rich Conroy
02-05-2011, 23:43
Baked-chicken-curry
By Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from River Cottage
Serves 6

Ingredients

2 heaped tsp cumin seeds
2 heaped tsp coriander seeds
1 heaped tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground fenugreek
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 large green chilli, roughly chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
3-4 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
1 chicken, jointed into 6 pieces, or 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces weighing about 1.5kg in total
400g tin of tomatoes
400ml tin of coconut milk
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
How to make baked chicken curry

1. If you've got the time, toast the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds in a dry frying pan for a minute or two, until fragrant. Grind the whole spices (toasted or otherwise) to a rough powder in a spice grinder or with a pestle and mortar, then mix with the turmeric and fenugreek.

2. Put the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger in a food processor or blender. Blitz to a coarse paste, stopping to scrape down the sides a few times.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium/high heat. Add half the chicken pieces, season well and brown them all over, making sure you get the skin a good colour. Transfer them to a large roasting dish, skin-side up. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.

4. Reduce the heat under the frying pan, add the spice mix and fry for a minute or two, then add the onion paste. Fry, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until the paste is soft, fragrant and reduced in volume. Add a little more oil if it seems to be sticking.

5. Tip the tomatoes and coconut milk into the food processor (no need to wash it out first) and blitz to combine. Pour into the frying pan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and a grinding of pepper, then pour the sauce over the chicken pieces. Make sure they are all coated in the sauce, then push most of the sauce off the top of the chicken - if there's too much sauce sitting on them, the skin won't brown in the oven.

6. Place in an oven preheated to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and nicely browned on top, turning and basting it a couple of times. Serve with lots of basmati rice to soak up the sauce.

This is EXCELLENT. It tastes soooooo fresh.

RC

Marco
02-05-2011, 23:48
Cheers, Rich - nice one. Hope you are keeping well :)

Marco.

goraman
03-05-2011, 03:58
Tonight I put the 22qt. stock pot to work, 5.5 U.S. gallons of French Lentil Soup.
4 lg. white onions, 4 shallots, 12 carrots,a stalk of celery,bulb of garlic,4 32oz.cans of diced tomatoes in juice a little extra virgin olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar,and 6 32oz. cans of vegetable broth, some fresh cut basil,crushed black pepper and kosher salt.
1st. Dice the onions,celery,carrots,celery,shallots,and garlic then cover the bottom with just a little olive oil and saute everything you just diced. Add the tomatoes then the broth and a little water.
after it comes to a boil add a little balsamic vinegar and basil.
Let it boil for 2 hours then add black pepper and Kosher salt to taste.

to give you an idea of scale that is a 5 qt. dutch oven with rice next to the huge 22 qt. soup pot.

The last 2 pictures is rice pudding for just over 2000,thought you might like to see a really big pot.
I really don't do well at cooking for 1 or 2 but 12 or more and it's all good.Even when I lived alone I cooked big and froze the rest for other meals.

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 07:02
That recipe sounds good Rich.

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 07:02
That's not a pot Jeff, it's a Hot Tub! :eek:

Rich Conroy
03-05-2011, 08:12
Alex UK;
Try it. You'll never eat in an Indian restaurant again. It takes a few minutes to toast the spices, grind them, do all the chopping, blending etc. but it's worth it.
I used to use Patak's sauce (not the paste), but not any more.

RC

Covenant
03-05-2011, 21:10
I think I will try the baked chicken curry Rich. It's not too hot is it as I will get moaned at by the wife and daughter!

Tim
03-05-2011, 21:47
Alex UK;
Try it. You'll never eat in an Indian restaurant again. It takes a few minutes to toast the spices, grind them, do all the chopping, blending etc. but it's worth it.
I used to use Patak's sauce :spew:(not the paste), but not any more.

RC
Nothing quite as satisfying as making a Curry at home that tastes better than a restaurant :)

Rare Bird
07-05-2011, 18:34
Snack:
I don't like Pizza too heavy.

Roll out some puff pastry, place it on a baking tray, thinly spread some Tomatoe Puree.
cut a load of those tiny sweet tormatoes in half chuck em on, thinly sliced mushrooms, chuck them on, thinly slice onion, chuck them on, crispy bacon bits.. grated cheese all over the lot, stick it in the oven on 220 Deg till it rises around the edges goes slighly golden..

serve with a bit of mayo.

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2011, 18:44
Baked-chicken-curry
By Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from River Cottage
Serves 6

Ingredients

2 heaped tsp cumin seeds
2 heaped tsp coriander seeds
1 heaped tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground fenugreek
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 large green chilli, roughly chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
3-4 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
1 chicken, jointed into 6 pieces, or 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces weighing about 1.5kg in total
400g tin of tomatoes
400ml tin of coconut milk
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
How to make baked chicken curry

1. If you've got the time, toast the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds in a dry frying pan for a minute or two, until fragrant. Grind the whole spices (toasted or otherwise) to a rough powder in a spice grinder or with a pestle and mortar, then mix with the turmeric and fenugreek.

2. Put the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger in a food processor or blender. Blitz to a coarse paste, stopping to scrape down the sides a few times.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium/high heat. Add half the chicken pieces, season well and brown them all over, making sure you get the skin a good colour. Transfer them to a large roasting dish, skin-side up. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.

4. Reduce the heat under the frying pan, add the spice mix and fry for a minute or two, then add the onion paste. Fry, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until the paste is soft, fragrant and reduced in volume. Add a little more oil if it seems to be sticking.

5. Tip the tomatoes and coconut milk into the food processor (no need to wash it out first) and blitz to combine. Pour into the frying pan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and a grinding of pepper, then pour the sauce over the chicken pieces. Make sure they are all coated in the sauce, then push most of the sauce off the top of the chicken - if there's too much sauce sitting on them, the skin won't brown in the oven.

6. Place in an oven preheated to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and nicely browned on top, turning and basting it a couple of times. Serve with lots of basmati rice to soak up the sauce.

This is EXCELLENT. It tastes soooooo fresh.

RC
I'm going to give this a spin :) One very important question Rich, does tsp mean a tea spoon or table spoon? Bit of a difference me thinks :eyebrows:

Barry
07-05-2011, 19:23
tsp = teaspoon

tbs = tablespoon

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2011, 19:26
tsp = teaspoon

tbs = tablespoon
Thank you Barry :) Very much appreciated!

:doh: :eyebrows:

snapper
07-05-2011, 19:49
I'm going to give this a spin :)

It's very good,although I do it slightly differently.

Instead of using chicken and cooking in the oven,I use lamb and cook on the hob.

Brown lamb well in some peanut oil,then add some assafoetida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida) and chopped onions,chilli,garlic and a touch of sugar.Add roasted spices and some curry leaves.Then add coconut milk and tomato and cook till ready.

:cool:

Another alternative is using an extra can of tomatoes and some dahl instead of the coconut milk.

Finishing both with some lemon juice and fresh coriander makes all the difference.

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2011, 19:55
Stop it!!!

You're making me feel hungry :lolsign:

Maybe another one to try out as well :)

Alex_UK
07-05-2011, 21:39
I don't like Pizza too heavy.

Proper Italian pizza isn't like that - the thick bases and silly stuffed crusts are an American abomination in my opinion - a proper "Roman" base should do no more really than hold the ingredients together and make it easier to eat!

Elzar
10-05-2011, 20:14
Proper Italian pizza isn't like that

10-4 on that Alex. Best Pizza I had was in an Italian restaurant in Paris and it was heavenly. So light, almost limp, but the taste hits the spot.

goraman
17-05-2011, 01:46
Tandoori Chicken for 2+ a toddler.

10 lbs. chicken leg quarters. (or 9 very large leg quarters)
14 to 16 oz. of ginger garlic paste.
4 dollops of plain white yogurt.
1 1.75oz. box Shan Tandoori Masala.
2 table spoons white vinegar.
1/4 cup minced garlic.
a couple dashes of lemon or lime juice.
a tea spoon of red food color (I like the powder)

First skin the chicken.
Then with a very sharp knife make deep slits all over the chicken,this will allow the meat to cook faster,and marinate faster.

Then mix it all up with the chicken,use your hands.They will turn red.

Slice up a large white onion.

preheat your BBQ to 400 F.

keep a squirt bottle of water around in case of flame ups.
Keep the lid closed on the BBQ as much as possible a temp gauge on the grill lid is a huge help but not mandatory. Cont. next page.

goraman
17-05-2011, 01:59
First see post #30 (last post prev. page 13)

I also put some white sweet corn in cold water and let it soak up in the cob and in the husks.

Then put it on the top rack and it steams and roasts in the husk and comes out perfect.

Peel the husk rub down with butter and black pepper,chili powder and a dash of salt and the sweet /spicy corn is awesome.

Back to the chicken check it after 45 min. by stabbing it with an ice pick if blood comes out turn it and leave it another 10 min. then check it again.

Fry the onions in a little olive oil and put on top of the chicken.

You can cut up a couple of limes to squeeze over it if you like.

But there you have it a quick and tasty dinner for 2 that looks like you know what the Hell your doing and tastes like it too.

This week end I am going to take my BBQ down stairs and deep clean it,I have used it alot lately.

goraman
22-05-2011, 04:36
Simple but goood.
Steak night. (in red wine and garlic butter)
with Garlic bread and zucchini,squash, carrots ect...
And of course an odd micro beer.

goraman
02-07-2011, 04:31
Pick up a couple pounds of ground sirloin, fry up some big burger patty's and fry them up, open a couple of cans of Cambell's cream of mushroom with garlic and heat in a sauce pan.

Steam some frozen mixed vegetables and drink a big 24oz. beer.

How come no one else is posting anything here? come on guys, show us your grub!

Marco
02-07-2011, 07:55
Nice, but you guys eat way too much beef! Too much red meat ain't good for ya, dudes.... Dontcha eat any chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, rabbit, veal, duck or game?

I'll post some more later pics of grub we eat. We're doing some Spaghetti con aglio, olio e peperoncino first: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/Spaghetti%20Aglio%20Olio%20e%20Peperoncino/2939

Then this recipe for 'Chicken alla Diavola', with some poussin:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-alla-diavola

And a nice bottle of Barolo will be devoured with it... Pics later! :)

Marco.

Marco
02-07-2011, 14:45
Overview of Spaghetti con Olio, Aglio e Peperoncino, black olive, cherry tomato and red pepper Focaccia bread, and salad of Lollo Rosso and Radicchio (decanted Barolo, sparkling mineral water and French apéritif, also shown):

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2758/img0690zn.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/img0690zn.jpg/)

Close up of Spaghetti starter:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3796/img0692q.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/img0692q.jpg/)

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9504/img0693z.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/img0693z.jpg/)

Chicken 'alla Diavola' (using a 'spatchcocked' fresh free-range poussin), with some fresh lemon wedges, boiled baby new potatoes, asparagus and garlic:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7469/img0695mu.jpg (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/img0695mu.jpg/)

And again:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7396/img0697s.jpg (http://img811.imageshack.us/i/img0697s.jpg/)

Now showing Del's veggie fresh spinach nut roast:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9262/img0696dp.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/img0696dp.jpg/)

Yum, yum! :cheers:

Marco.

Mike
02-07-2011, 15:37
Yuk!

I'd rather have an aneurysm! :lolsign:

goraman
02-07-2011, 16:22
Marco,
That meal looks good enough for any fine restaurant, I love Italian food maybe I'll cook some before the weeks out.
I love beef my wife loves chicken,we both love lamb but it is so expensive here in the U.S. for some reason like good fish $$$$.

As for pork It has been over a year now since we stopped eating it.
I never understood exactly why after the new testament pork was ok to eat,or exactly why the food restrictions where lifted?
I just took it for granted that it was ok because everyone ate it.
And I loved eating bacon.
After a long debate with a devout Muslim I realized that the food restrictions where lifted due to a vision/dream from Paul.
There was always clean and unclean animals for sacrifice and that was no longer necessary after the crucifixion.
So until I figure it all out pork is at least on hold for now,my wife still eats pizza with pepperoni though she never ate pork till she came here,the first time she ate a big pork chop it made he a little sick but she loves it now so we have been substituting with turkey bacon.

Mike
02-07-2011, 16:28
we both love lamb but it is so expensive here in the U.S.

What is it with Lamb?

It doesn't exactly cost "pegs 'n buttons" here in the UK either! Damn pricey stuff! :steam:

Rare Bird
02-07-2011, 16:38
I think i'd rather eat Italian grub that tons of that stuff Americans eat.Beef is my least fav meat, infact i seldom eat it. Chicken & Pork are the main things in our house,I like Lamb but can't stand the smell of it cooking! i love Fish, the wife isnt too much of a fan but i'd rather eat fish over meat anyday.

To be honest i don't like eating, i think it's a pain in the arse..

Mike
02-07-2011, 16:41
Bah.... Fish is for Pelicans. Minging stuff! :ner:

Marco
02-07-2011, 17:16
Yuk!

I'd rather have an aneurysm! :lolsign:

Loll... You'd have loved the chicken (and even the pasta): hot and spicy as fuck with all that infused garlic, dried chilli and fresh rosemary - a real 'arse burner'! Oi lurves cheeli....:eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
02-07-2011, 17:38
Hi Jeff,

Marco,
That meal looks good enough for any fine restaurant, I love Italian food maybe I'll cook some before the weeks out.

Cheers, dude. It was scrummy! I'm very fortunate that Del is a fabulous cook :)

I love beef my wife loves chicken,we both love lamb but it is so expensive here in the U.S. for some reason like good fish $$$$.

I like all meats, but try not to eat too much red meat, or if I do, then preferably something very lean, like venison. Lamb is also a favourite, and we're fortunate that in Wales the lamb is arguably the best in the world. We get ours direct from a farm in Overton, 15 mins away from our house, and it's not terribly expensive either - about half the price of the cack (posing as lamb) that they sell in some supermarkets ;)

I also love fresh fish and seafood, but that is always quite expensive.

For Sunday lunch tomorrow we're having a whole leg of lamb roasted and infused with garlic and rosemary. My mum and dad have moved down from Scotland to live in North Wales, so we've invited them over for our first Sunday lunch together here, so there will be all sorts getting made on top of that, along with some serious wines drunk! :eyebrows:

My main staple meat, though, is chicken. I can have it 3-4 times a week, no problem without getting fed up of it, but cooked all different ways, from Italian and French, to Chinese and Indian, but one thing I could NEVER do without is home-made pasta with home-made pasta sauce! I was brought up with that stuff.

As for pork It has been over a year now since we stopped eating it.
I never understood exactly why after the new testament pork was ok to eat,or exactly why the food restrictions where lifted?
I just took it for granted that it was ok because everyone ate it.
And I loved eating bacon.
After a long debate with a devout Muslim I realized that the food restrictions where lifted due to a vision/dream from Paul.
There was always clean and unclean animals for sacrifice and that was no longer necessary after the crucifixion.
So until I figure it all out pork is at least on hold for now,my wife still eats pizza with pepperoni though she never ate pork till she came here,the first time she ate a big pork chop it made he a little sick but she loves it now so we have been substituting with turkey bacon.

Yeah, that's understandable, with your wife's religion. I like pork, too - I guess my favourite is ribs. There are various ways we cook them, but my favourite way is the really hot & spicy Chinese ones that Del does. She makes a special marinade that blows your head off, but is *seriously* tasty! We also use it on chicken wings.

Marco.

Marco
02-07-2011, 18:03
Hi Andre,

I think i'd rather eat Italian grub that tons of that stuff Americans eat.Beef is my least fav meat, infact i seldom eat it. Chicken & Pork are the main things in our house,I like Lamb but can't stand the smell of it cooking!

Lol - that's a bit unusual. Are you sure you're cooking it properly and are using good fresh produce? Because when we cook lamb, the smell of all the juices reducing down and the herbs and garlic is awesome!

i love Fish, the wife isnt too much of a fan but i'd rather eat fish over meat anyday.

I love fish, too, but probably don't eat as much of it as I should. It can sometimes be difficult to get the best quality, unless you go to a proper fishmonger, and that means a separate trip somewhere else. The other thing, too, is that Del doesn't like the smell of it cooking. But now my dad's down here (a serious fish and seafood lover), I suspect that we'll be having more of it than before!

To be honest i don't like eating, i think it's a pain in the arse..

Lol - again, that's a bit of a mad one, dude. What do you mean by it's a pain in the arse? :scratch:

I'm the polar opposite! You know the old saying: some folks eat to live, and others live to eat - well it doesn't take much to guess which category I come under....:eyebrows:

I guess it's an Italian thing. I was brought up with amazing cooks all around me. Both my grandmothers and aunts, and of course my mum, were/are all superb cooks, and so enjoying good food has always been a big part of my life.

There's nothing we enjoy more than, as we did this afternoon, sitting outside in the garden in the sunshine having a lovely meal together, and enjoying a few glasses of wine, just relaxing in peace and tranquillity, chatting and playing with cats. We can happily spend hours there... :)

We also love entertaining and having friends round for a meal, which usually includes a music sesh - and that can go on until the wee small hours!! :fingers: :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-07-2011, 18:12
I just don't like the smell of cooking lamb..

Eating is a pain in the arse because i don't have time to eat, i think it's a total waste of time & money, but of course you have to eat to survive. Honestly mate if i were on my own it would be one meal a day when i can fit it in.

Marco
02-07-2011, 18:19
I guess it just depends on your lifestyle, dude. I suspect you'd have a different attitude if you had more time to enjoy it. In the summer, when the weather is nice, we can spend hours enjoying a meal outside in the garden. We're major foodies!

Does Cheryl (is that your wife's name, mate?) not enjoy cooking? :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-07-2011, 18:39
Hi Dude
Yeh Chery's the wife, no i do all the cooking..everything, i'm good at it but hate it.

Marco
02-07-2011, 18:43
Lol - that's a shame, especially as you're good at it, but hey, such is life :)

Friends have always said that we should open up a restaurant, but that sounds too much like hard work! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-07-2011, 18:48
When your cooking all week at home & at work you get fed up of seeing it..I understand you love your food & that it's an important factor within your lifestyle, but i'm afraid for me meals just use up too much time.i have loads of intrests other than Hi-Fi & music to be wasting my time on :lolsign:

Marco
02-07-2011, 18:55
Yeah, I forgot that you also cook at work! That makes a big difference.... :)

Marco.

goraman
02-07-2011, 21:49
Hi Jeff,

Yeah, that's understandable, with your wife's religion.

Marco, My wife is Roman Catholic,her family converted to Catholicism even before the 1940's when Pakistan was still part of India.Her great,great,great Grandfather left Hinduism after meeting a Catholic missionary.
We where married in Islamabad on one of the few Catholic churches still there.Our Lady of Fatima that has been burned and rebuilt.
There is one more in Khanawal St.Josphs,I don't think there are any more.
Both churches have been there since before it was Pakistan.
But pigs are forbidden as is eating pork so she never had it till coming here to the U.S. and now I'm not sure eating it is really the right thing to do.

goraman
08-08-2011, 05:24
Beer can chicken?

Ok, make a nice rub with olive oil,spices and beer.

Leave 8 oz. of beer in a 12 oz. can.

Stuff a small white onion in the neck to seal in the juces then fold the skin over the onion and use a small securer to pin it shut.

put the half a beer on the grill and put the chicken on it craming it up it's arss.

Get the grill up to 400+ and close the lid,let it go till it's 180+F inside,no more than 200F then let cool for ten minutes. and serve.

You can really see the white onion in pic 4 of 5.

The meat falls off the bones,skin is crisp and so juicy inside.

Alex_UK
08-08-2011, 06:02
Do you do this in the UK?

Umm, no. Never heard of that one before Jeff!

Thing Fish
08-08-2011, 08:20
Sweet baby James, I'm salivating at the sight of that fowl beast. I'm trying to loose a few pounds for fooks sake and you dangle this in front of me! The skin looks soooooooooo crispy.

Begone child of Satan bottom...:deceased:

Rare Bird
08-08-2011, 12:38
Cheese & Onion chrisp sandwiches yum yum..

Marco
08-08-2011, 13:05
Lol - a gourmet to the end, dude... :eyebrows:

Jeff, that chee-ken, she look good!! {Slurp} :drool:

Marco.

goraman
02-04-2012, 02:42
Tonight we had fresh Salmon steaks cut right off a fresh catch!
A little olive oil (non of that extra virgin stuff be needed) I like mine a little experienced.
A pat of butter per steak, most important a big lemon squeezed over each steak and left in the fridge for 3 hours to let the lemon soak in and a largish dash of lemon pepper spice per steak.Then some fresh Basil leaves.
Wrap it up in heavy tin foil and roll the edges leaving all the juices in with it to steam.
40 min low to med heat on the grill and your all good.
The rice is steamed Royal Basmati with cumin seeds and red onion.
The veggies where steamed from a frozen bag.
So the whole thing came together reasonably fast.

The butter,olive oil,lemon juice and spiced gravy can be used to flavor the rice and veggies too so don't waste it. Enjoy with a nice white or pink Zinfandel.

Tim
02-04-2012, 17:41
Yum, that's my kind of food Jeff - may have to give that recipe a go ;)

Reid Malenfant
02-04-2012, 17:43
Yum, that's my kind of food Jeff - may have to give that recipe a go ;)
Yes my kind to, but not my Doctors I'm afraid :rolleyes:

It's that pat of butter that fesses it all up :doh:

Just don't tell em I had roast beef & also bacon sarnies recently :ner:

stupinder
08-04-2012, 13:13
The healthy food I have been eating this week has included
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o433/Stupinder/011.jpg
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o433/Stupinder/003.jpg
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o433/Stupinder/005.jpg

Marco
07-05-2012, 18:27
Tortino di cavolo e patate.

Ingredients:

One large Savoy cabbage.

Taleggio cheese.

Potatoes (Desiree types are good).

Butter.

Salt and pepper.

Method:

Butter, all over thoroughly, the inside of an ovenproof dish, and peel and thinly slice the potatoes, using a potato mandolin. The latter is absolutely necessary, as otherwise you’ll never be able to slice the potatoes thinly enough.

Remove the hard centre-core (vein) from the cabbage leaves and chop up into roughly 2-inch square pieces. Then blanche them in boiling water for two or three minutes, and drain.

Now you’re ready to assemble the dish...

Start with two layers of potatoes, and then sprinkle some salt and pepper on top, to taste. Then, add a layer of cabbage and a cheese, and a few knobs of butter.

Repeat the above process again, creating another layer.

Finish with a final layer of potatoes, press down a little on the mixture to flatten it, and add a few more knobs of butter. Before putting in the oven, sprinkle a dessert spoon of water on top, just to generate some moisture, in order to aid the cooking process.

Use butter to grease some tinfoil, and place the tinfoil over the top of the dish, covering all the sides. Pop the dish into an oven, and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the tinfoil and cook for a further 20 minutes, in order to brown and crisp the top.

Cut into slices and serve (perhaps also with some slices of Parma Ham), a side salad and crusty bread! :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2012, 18:37
Fantastic!
Thanks Marco & Del.
This will be sampled on Tuesday. Any later & the cheese will be starting to think about getting up & walking home to Valtaleggio as it's so ripe!

I shall report back.

Marco
07-05-2012, 18:49
Nice one, Chris. Let me know what you think. I'll transfer the recipe over to the appropriate section later.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2012, 23:02
This will be sampled on Tuesday.

Oops - bugger!
I forgot that it's Monday today - bloody Bank Holiday.
I'll start again.........This will be sampled on Wednesday....

Rare Bird
08-05-2012, 00:18
Whats the oven temp? (fan assisted)

:sofa:

Marco
08-05-2012, 00:20
I think it's 200°C, in a leccy oven, dude. Dunno about gas. I'll double check with Del, though! :)

Marco.

jostber
08-05-2012, 10:22
I made this pasta dish of my own creation this weekend:

Tagliattelle with tuna fish and spring greens

Have 2 chopped shallots, 6 quartered cherry tomatoes, 3 finely chopped asparagus, some very finely chopped carrot, 1 chopped garlic clove and some very finely chopped celery root in 3 table spoons of virgin olive oil at medium temperature in a skillet and cook it until the tomatoes start releasing their juices and the onion have released their acid. At the beginning of cooking, squish some drops of lemon over the veggies, also do this after a couple of minutes and when it is ready. Add the end add some drops of sherry vinegar, and take it off the heat.

In a morter take 10 fennel seeds, 8 coriander seeds, 1 clove and 6 anise seeds and finely grind them. Have this into the veggies at the end of the braising. Chop 1 red chilli and add this to the skillet.

In a large casserole boil about 250 g. of good quality tagliatelle for the minutes required on the package. Have a little bit of rosemary in the water and a handful of maldon salt. When it is ready, have the paste in a colander and add it back to the casserole with 50 g. of good butter. Then add some good quality tinned tuna fish(about 100 g.) to the tagliatelle and fold it gently into the pasta. Then add the pasta to the skillet with veggies and serve with grated parmesan, ground black pepper and some ecological green olives.

This dish is very good served with a fresh salad and garlic baguettes. :)

Marco
08-05-2012, 10:23
Hi Andre,

Just confirmed with Del, via email, and she says, quote:

I’d probably put them in at 200°C for the first 40 mins - then take them out & poke them to see if there are cooked.

If they are, I’d lower the temp to 180°C for the last 20 mins.

:)

Marco.

P.S Jostein, that sounds very nice!

The Grand Wazoo
09-05-2012, 18:48
Tortino di cavolo e patate.

As per Marco's recipe

There were no quantities for the cheese & potatoes so a little delving round the internet was done by Mrs Wazzles - 200 grammes Teleggio & 4 medium sized potatoes also a small cabbage was used - This was for a game for two contestants.

The cheese was quite ripe & difficult to slice so it went in the freezer for an hour to firm it up.
Lessons learnt: Next time, build it up in a deeper, narrower dish so that slices can be cut properly.

Freshly baked crusty bread.
Salad: Romaine lettuce, spinach, celery, green beans, carrot, spring onion, sweet red pepper, green peppers, tomato & basil leaves
Home baked ham with cloves & honey
Green olives, marinated artichoke hearts & pickled green chillies.
Black pepper.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9751/dscf4230d.jpg

YUM!

Marco
10-05-2012, 12:10
Nice one, Chris, and well done. It looks just as it should - and bloody good!! :drool:

Marco.

P.S I also like your chosen accompaniments - perfect!

Rare Bird
10-05-2012, 12:53
Marco:
Thank Del for the temp details..

Marco
10-05-2012, 16:20
No worries, dude. She sez 'yer welcome' :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2012, 12:37
Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

Well, it's not a recipe.
Some people will definitely consider this to be quite the opposite of scrumptious.
It has more oil in it than anyone should ever eat, so making it nothing like reasonably healthy.

.........however, if a strong flavoured, Asian kind of thing is up your particular alley (oo-er Missus!), then you are going to love this!
We were in a tiny Asian grocery shop yesterday, stocking up on a few spices and whatnot, when I spied this humble little jar sitting on a shelf:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2462/dscf4336l.jpg

Now, having spent a good portion of my early life in rural Pakistan, I'm rather partial to this kind of thing, but this is extraordinary!
Monstrously strong - 65% of it is whole cloves of garlic.
I should imagine about 20% is chillie pulp. It's very salty and sour like the best lime pickles & the oil is vividly red.
We tried some last night with a couple of curries - chicken for me & veg, lentil & chick pea for Mrs Wazzles - along with a big old bowl of onion salad (onions, cucumber, tomato, mint, chillie, fresh coriander lemon juice and salt) and some popadoms.
YIKES!!!! I've never eaten anything like this in my life - it's a bit of an assault course for your taste buds but I think we may be having curry again two or three times later this week!

Marco
03-06-2012, 12:49
Sounds fab, Chris! I love garlic (and lime) pickle (the latter used in one of my favourite curries, chicken or lamb Achari), but that one sounds a bit special!

Looks like you can get it from here:

http://www.eurowideexports.co.uk/

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-06-2012, 13:07
& how did the bedroom smell this morning Chris?

Marco
03-06-2012, 13:13
Botty-burp city! :D

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2012, 13:17
Good God! What exactly are you implying?

Rare Bird
03-06-2012, 13:21
I was thinking breath wise 65% Garlic cloves

Marco
03-06-2012, 13:23
As long as they were both eating it, it don't matter! :eyebrows:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2012, 13:49
Hehehe!!
I'm a forester, matey - both my botty & my breath always smell 'pine-fresh'.

Marco
09-06-2012, 15:12
We're doing this Thai Green Curry recipe tonight for dinner:

http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/thai_green_curry.php

Should be good! I'll let you know :)

We bought all the ingredients yesterday from our favourite Chinese supermarket, W.H. Lung, in Liverpool: http://goodfoodshops.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/liverpool-w-h-lung-and-tai-pan.html#!/2009/01/liverpool-w-h-lung-and-tai-pan.htm

...and afterwards had a superb (authentic) lunch, with Dim Sums, and all sorts, next door in the Tai Pan restaurant, before popping into Probe to buy some records.

It's one of my favourite days out! :cool:

Marco.

Tim
09-06-2012, 15:49
Thai is my favourite food Marco and that looks a pretty good recipe too. It's a very easy curry to make and I prepare my own green paste too, which is also simple if you have a blender or processor.

goraman
08-09-2012, 23:14
In the U.S. coconut oil has been banned for years, I used to love movie pop corn because it was popped in coconut oil then hot melted butter pumped over it then shaken liberally with garlic salt.

Then the food police banned it in the late 70's No more coconut oil!

Our Winco now carry's it !
I got some good old yellow popping corn a big kettle poured a good amount of coconut oil in the bottom then a couple of shots of Almond oil.

After it all popped I poured hot melted real butter over it,a whole stick and used a little garlic salt.

OHHH!!! it got messy!
MMMMMMMM Goooooooood!!!

Best of all my wife and son say Dad is the pop corn king!

Food police be damned!

stupinder
21-09-2012, 07:10
Lol - that's a shame, especially as you're good at it, but hey, such is life :)

Friends have always said that we should open up a restaurant, but that sounds too much like hard work! ;)

Marco.
From experience it is :)

Tim
02-04-2013, 09:29
Here's another of my favourite low fat and healthy favourites - made it last night and took a piccie.

Seared Miso Salmon Salad with soy, ginger and wasabi dressing. It's totally delicious, especially if you like the tang of wasabi.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/image_002_zps0d65f75f.jpg

I'm on a real healthy eating drive at the moment, I was getting far too lazy with my food.

Barry
02-04-2013, 20:58
Here's another of my favourite low fat and healthy favourites - made it last night and took a piccie.

Seared Miso Salmon Salad with soy, ginger and wasabi dressing. It's totally delicious, especially if you like the tang of wasabi.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/image_002_zps0d65f75f.jpg

I'm on a real healthy eating drive at the moment, I was getting far too lazy with my food.

Well done Tim.

Thoroughly agree with you - it's not difficult to eat healthily and cheaply if you are willing to do things yourself.

A few years ago I was declared (Type II) diabetic and went to see a dietician. As it turned out not only can I manage my diabetes through being careful with my diet, but as a single bloke it seems I was already eating a good, well balanced and sensible diet.

The upshot to all this is because I have to watch what I eat, I am now enjoying food a lot more, enjoying stuff that I didn't particularly like before (such as fish) and I now enjoy shopping for food and cooking.

Tim
03-04-2013, 07:54
it's not difficult to eat healthily and cheaply if you are willing to do things yourself.
. . . its so enjoyable too. I love cooking, but since being single I don't entertain as much these days, so became a little lazy with my cooking. But no more, the old Tim is back :)

Asian food is my favourite and fish features a lot in my diet - always been my preferred form of protein. This recipe is very high on my list of favourites, its not a published recipe but one I have honed myself after having it in a restaurant (Coco Momo in Kensington). I have written it up and attached it if anyone is interested.

Theotherlarryb
10-04-2013, 12:06
Ooh, it's a Bara Brith!

I cup mixed fruit
I cup light brown sugar
1 cup english breakfast tea (hot)
I ounce marge
1 tablespoon mixed spice

2 cups self raising flour
1 egg

Add everything but the egg and flour into a pan whilst tea is still hot and bring to boil stirring regulalry, then allow to cool

Add the 2 cups self raising flour and the egg, beat in

Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper

Cook at 160 for 80 mins on middle shelf

Eat in thick slices with lots of butter :lol:

pjdowns
11-07-2013, 22:08
Not sure whether this has already mentioned but I would highly recommend this recipe book if you are after good food on a weight conscious budget :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hairy-Dieters-Love-Food-Weight/dp/0297869051/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373580313&sr=1-1&keywords=the+hairy+dieters

My wife and I have tried a number of their recipes and are amazed how much taste there is considering the relatively low calorie content.

Paul.

synsei
11-07-2013, 22:16
Guys,

Hopefully some of you may find this useful...

To make gorgeous gravy for any roast meat (turkey is used as an example):

Simmer the giblets from the turkey with an onion, carrot, celery, and any herbs you've got like rosemary, sage, thyme or parsley stalks and water to make a stock. Simmer for at least an hour. You want to use the juices that the turkey is roasting in plus the stock as a base for the gravy to dissolve the brown 'crusty bits' in the roasting tin.

Add some port or red wine into the gravy and reduce down until you get the consistency you like - you can add cornflower at this stage if necessary to thicken it, mixing it with the red wine or port.

If you want extra flavour add some Lea & Perrins sauce to taste - this will enrich the gravy and also add some more colour if necessary. Strain/spoon off any excess fat that may be floating on top of the gravy for a silky and refined finish.

The secret, though, is in the stock!

As far as the turkey itself is concerned, mix some chopped herbs and garlic together with softened butter and put on the breasts underneath the skin. Cover the breasts and legs of the turkey with plenty of streaky bacon to keep it moist and baste every 20 mins to half an hour. Remove bacon for last half hour to brown the turkey and this can be served along with the turkey as an accompaniment.

Remember to put the stuffing in the neck end only to keep the cavity free in order to circulate heat. Put an onion and some herbs in the cavity to add flavour but don't put the stuffing in there.

Marco.

To add to your post Marco, try an Orange or Apple in the cavity instead of an onion. The moisture from the fruit will keep the breast meat moist and the flavour of the fruit will infuse into the breast meat ;)

Graeme
18-07-2013, 13:28
Quick and tasty lunch, just cooked this so thought i'd share.

Super simple.

Buttered toast.
Fry some bacon, i use cheap chopped pieces. Dont fully cook.
Add 2 wood pigeon breasts, these need a minuite or 2 a side depending on size so add them in with the bacon when you think the extra time will also cook the bacon to your prefered state.

Put meat on toast and enjoy :)

I think there is room for some mushrooms in this too, and maybe a splash of hendersons would sit well.

Cheap, tasty and quick.

If you've not had it, pigeon breasts are like little gamey steaks, a nice high quality meat that can be eaten pink. Stops em eating my veg too LOL.

Rare Bird
27-10-2013, 16:19
Home made Carrot Soup, Home made Leek Soup.. I have been a busy lad this morning.. :eyebrows:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Carrott.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Carrott.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/LeekSoup.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/LeekSoup.jpg.html)

StanleyB
17-04-2014, 10:01
I was quite shocked to read that report that a high percentage of lamb curries contain little or no lamb:eek:. I reckon most of us knew that already. I once bought a lamb curry that had just four tiny pieces of meat. With the whole container soaked in curry thickened with loads of onions, it is no wonder that it is so hard to tell what's in that muck.

Macca
03-05-2014, 12:11
I can't quite believe it but a Caribbean food place has just opened up literally round the cirner from me. One of my favourite types of food. Just had fried fish with rice and peas for lunch, bloody lovely. This is just unheard of round here it is all pies and currirs. Xdon't know how long it will last but I am going to make the most of it while it does :)

Marco
03-05-2014, 12:25
I was quite shocked to read that report that a high percentage of lamb curries contain little or no lamb:eek:. I reckon most of us knew that already. I once bought a lamb curry that had just four tiny pieces of meat. With the whole container soaked in curry thickened with loads of onions, it is no wonder that it is so hard to tell what's in that muck.

You and I both know, baby, that goat curry is where it's at! ;)

Marco.

jollyfix
03-05-2014, 12:38
I can't quite believe it but a Caribbean food place has just opened up literally round the cirner from me. :)
MMmm saltfish patties, yum yum.

keiths
03-05-2014, 13:08
You and I both know, baby, that goat curry is where it's at! ;)

Marco.

They had Jamaican Curried Goat Pies in Pie and Ale in Manchester a couple of weeks ago.

I went for the Rabbit, Black Pudding, Bacon, Parsnip and Apple Pie though

http://www.simister.com/public/rabbit.jpg

http://northernquartermanchester.com/pie-ale-by-bakerie-northern-quarter-manchester/

Yomanze
23-06-2014, 12:24
Ah Bakerie been there a few times. I work quite near it at City Tower on Piccadilly Plaza. Will check out Pie & Ale for main meals rather than bread and wine!

There are a lot of gourmet "beer 'n burger" joints opening these days hopefully in place of last year's pulled pork overload...

struth
15-02-2015, 10:38
its my favorite breakfast ..a thick,warm slice of home made soda bread dripping with butter and strawberry jam....yummy! and better for you than those fry ups i used to love.....ha!

jollyfix
15-02-2015, 11:10
I like a bit of soda bread Grant, but i wouldn't say its my 'fave'. Takes ages to toast.

Gordon Steadman
15-02-2015, 11:14
its my favorite breakfast ..a thick,warm slice of home made soda bread dripping with butter and strawberry jam....yummy! and better for you than those fry ups i used to love.....ha!

Probably not actually but certainly very yummy indeed. We are experimenting with various breads at the mo as we are both gluten intolerant. The only failure has been the rye which is a shame as the few edible bits were delicious. Carry on experimenting:)

I wonder why all the wheat free breads take so long to toast too!! Can't try the soda bread as it uses ordinary flour but there you go.

User211
15-02-2015, 11:51

Do you make it? It is dead easy...

struth
15-02-2015, 12:14
Do you make it? It is dead easy...

yes its very easy and quick. you have to be quick actually and the less you work it the better.

250 grams sifted normal plain flour(not bread flour), tsp salt.tsp bicarb soda. tsp baking powder. 2 tsp soft brown sugar. 6 fluid ounce of cultured buttermilk with 2 f ounce of milk added to loosen it.

have the oven already on at gas 8. ....when you add the buttermilk the reaction starts so you have to get it together fast. i just bring it together in a big bowl with a spoon then a sprinkle of flour on hands and table pop it out shape it into a round or oval. put on a greased sheet or parchment paper on a sheet..a big deep slash down middle with a big knife and in oven for 15 mins.then turn down to gas 5 for another 15 min. take out put on wire rack with a tea towel covering it let it cool..best eaten warm. you can as i do later cut a slice and give it 10 secs in microwave..

5 mins work and half hour in oven for great bread cant be bad

User211
15-02-2015, 12:38
I made the mistake of buying a top of the line Panasonic bread maker a while back. You get totally fed up with the odd, boring, just plain weird looking loaves it produces.

So I started looking into working out how to do it properly. Got heavily into pot baked sourdoughs but these days I tend to use fresh bakers yeast bought from ebay (it freezes and keeps for a year or so).

All you need to make great bread is a plastic mixing bowl from Asda for a couple of quid. You need not even knead it. Just wait for 12 hours and let the yeast do all the work. Pot baking in a cast iron pot works brilliantly - 20-30 minutes with the lid on and 20-30 minutes with it off gives superb results.

Check this weird hippy video out. It WILL produce ace sourdough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnxAoHl1qc

struth
15-02-2015, 12:57
i used make all kinds of bread myself and sourdough was a knack i eventually mastered. hade my own culture for years.
i am allergic to yeast a bit now so stick to non yeast bread now and tbh soda bread is great. never did the pot way although been told it was an excellent way to cook it.
hand made bread always beats a bread maker but convienience wise it was great to just fire the stuff in the pan and switch on...got a panasonic obe but mot used it for a while now.
good luck with the soda...it really is easy as pie. you just want it to just be able to absorb the flour in no more. dont work it as you dont want any gluten

Marco
15-02-2015, 12:57
Another soda bread fan here - in fact of any decent 'artisan'-style bread. As long as it's not mass-produced supermarket shite, I'll eat it!

I like a bit of soda bread Grant, but i wouldn't say its my 'fave'. Takes ages to toast.

Indeed, but I wouldn't dream of toasting quality bread - that's what your cheap white or brown supermarket cack is for... Good bread should be eaten 'as is' with some equally good butter and/or conserve, spread on top.

Gordon, I love French butter (especially the organic farm types) - so creamy and luscious, it's untrue! Indeed, as is their 'Bon Maman' jam, which we bring back in the car, by the case, for breakfast back home (as the brand is much cheaper to buy in France than in the UK). Yum, yum.... :)

Marco.

User211
15-02-2015, 13:23
i used make all kinds of bread myself and sourdough was a knack i eventually mastered. hade my own culture for years.
i am allergic to yeast a bit now so stick to non yeast bread now and tbh soda bread is great. never did the pot way although been told it was an excellent way to cook it.
hand made bread always beats a bread maker but convienience wise it was great to just fire the stuff in the pan and switch on...got a panasonic obe but mot used it for a while now.
good luck with the soda...it really is easy as pie. you just want it to just be able to absorb the flour in no more. dont work it as you dont want any gluten

I went on a bread making course and got a San Francisco sourdough culture. that was over 100 years old. That stuff was rank, and analysis showed it to contain human spit enzymes. It was sour beyond belief.

Sourdough cultures are weird and you don't really know what bacteria has thrived in them. A good culture can make amazing bread, though, packed full of flavour. Far more so than lab cultured yeast.

The real mind **ck is when you get good you realise the bread you are making beats even the best delis. Well, I think so anyway.

I do toast my bread as I can never eat it all in time so freeze it. It takes ages to toast but it is amazing it you can tolerate the wait.

One thing - I have a recipe book for soda that says you can use all milk rather than buttermilk. Have you tried that Grant and does it work?

struth
15-02-2015, 13:29
Probably not actually but certainly very yummy indeed. We are experimenting with various breads at the mo as we are both gluten intolerant. The only failure has been the rye which is a shame as the few edible bits were delicious. Carry on experimenting:)

I wonder why all the wheat free breads take so long to toast too!! Can't try the soda bread as it uses ordinary flour but there you go.

Karina's Gluten-Free Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Original recipe posted March 2009.

This soda bread sports a mildly sweet and complex flavor. The potato starch gives it tenderness, moisture and lift. If you don't like the taste of caraway, try a touch of finely grated orange peel. Make sure your source of millet flour is truly gluten-free. See here.

Ingredients:

1 cup gluten-free millet flour or certified GF oat flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
5 tablespoons Earth Balance Stick, or Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening
3/4 cup plain non-dairy milk with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 free range organic eggs or Ener-G Foods Egg Replacer
1 tablespoon honey or raw agave nectar
1 to 3 teaspoons caraway seeds, to taste (or use grated orange peel zest)
1 cup currants or raisins

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease an 8-9 inch round cake pan and dust it with gluten-free flour.

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening with a whisk, fork or pastry cutter.

Whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the non-dairy milk, beaten eggs and honey, gently mixing as you go. I use a soft silicone or rubber spatula to do this. If you need a little more non-dairy milk to moisten the dough, add a tablespoon at a time and stir in.

When the dough is evenly moist- like sticky biscuit batter, add the caraway and raisins. Stir only briefly to mix them in.

Scrape and spoon out the dough into the prepared cake pan; and use wet hands to flatten and smooth the dough into a round loaf.

Using a sharp knife, slice a criss-cross into the dough and wiggle it a bit from side to side to make a wider dent. [According to Irish folklore, the criss-cross discourages the mischievous fairies from messing with your humble loaf of bread. In case you were wondering.]

Place the pan into the center of a preheated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the loaf is golden and crusty and sounds hollow when thumped. Insert a wooden toothpick into the center to test for doneness.

Cool on a wire rack for five minutes; and turn the loaf out of the pan to cool to room temperature on the rack.

This sweet and tender bread is fabulous warm from the oven, even if it tends to crumble a bit. It gets a bit sturdier as it cools.

Cook time: 30 min

struth
15-02-2015, 13:40
I went on a bread making course and got a San Francisco sourdough culture. that was over 100 years old. That stuff was rank, and analysis showed it to contain human spit enzymes. It was sour beyond belief.

Sourdough cultures are weird and you don't really know what bacteria has thrived in them. A good culture can make amazing bread, though, packed full of flavour. Far more so than lab cultured yeast.

The real mind **ck is when you get good you realise the bread you are making beats even the best delis. Well, I think so anyway.

I do toast my bread as I can never eat it all in time so freeze it. It takes ages to toast but it is amazing it you can tolerate the wait.

One thing - I have a recipe book for soda that says you can use all milk rather than buttermilk. Have you tried that Grant and does it work?

as long as you add an acid to react with the soda.. cream of tartar and lemon juice work. there is tartar in baking power so you dont need buttermilk. tastes better though and its cheap and has a good shelf life.. if not using it add a bit more baking powder . a little lemon juice in milk and leave for 5 /10 mins in fridge before adding to the powder. baking powder is tartar and soda it reacts when it gets wet.

jollyfix
15-02-2015, 13:42
I wouldn't dream of toasting quality bread

Marco.

Nothing wrong with toasting a quality artisan bread, i do that often, today topped with marinated tomatoes ( fresh thyme, wee bit garlic, salt, and very good quality extra virgin oil, drizz of honey).

User211
15-02-2015, 13:55
as long as you add an acid to react with the soda.. cream of tartar and lemon juice work. there is tartar in baking power so you dont need buttermilk. tastes better though and its cheap and has a good shelf life.. if not using it add a bit more baking powder . a little lemon juice in milk and leave for 5 /10 mins in fridge before adding to the powder. baking powder is tartar and soda it reacts when it gets wet.

I will get some buttermilk and give it a go. I can't believe I haven't already done it TBH and had said recipe out only yesterday.

Gordon Steadman
15-02-2015, 14:06
We have two Panasonic bread makers. We bought one and found the other thrown away at the skip because it had a small dent on the side - works perfectly. Quite useful for dough mixing although the finished bread could certainly be better.

Marco, I don't like the typically creamy French butter. Salted for me, loads of flavour, the supermarkets do that too fortunately. Bon Maman is pretty good but not as good as ours:eyebrows:. For the first time since we've been here, we have started the previous year's jam. Fruit was a bit short last year although the veg was fantastic, it seems to alternate.

Thanks for the gluten free recipe, I'll give that a go. I'd toast anything!!! Yes, great bread is wonderful as is but then so is great toast especially with home made jam, best on the Aga but perfectly nice in the Dualit.

Marco
15-02-2015, 14:34
Nothing wrong with toasting a quality artisan bread, i do that often, today topped with marinated tomatoes ( fresh thyme, wee bit garlic, salt, and very good quality extra virgin oil, drizz of honey).

Ah yes, for savoury use, as a snack or meal, no problem (indeed, I'd insist upon it)! I thought you meant toasting it for breakfast, with jam and butter... Nothing necessarily wrong with that either, I guess, it's just that I personally wouldn't.

I'd use the cheapie stuff for that, as for me, it makes better breakfast toast, especially 'soldiers' (with butter on) to dip into boiled eggs! :)

Marco.

Marco
15-02-2015, 14:43
Marco, I don't like the typically creamy French butter. Salted for me, loads of flavour, the supermarkets do that too fortunately. Bon Maman is pretty good but not as good as ours:eyebrows:. For the first time since we've been here, we have started the previous year's jam. Fruit was a bit short last year although the veg was fantastic, it seems to alternate.

Indeed, you can't beat making your own, and when Del makes jam, it's the same. However, as far as bought stuff goes, Bon Maman is very good, and in France there are all sorts of unusual varieties available, such as fig and greengage, which you don't get in the supermarkets here.

In terms of butter, our tastes are obviously different, but then I think that's likely because you're an Englishman living in France, with essentially English tastes, hence the love of salt.

For me (and Del) that lovely creamy unsalted butter, which usually comes wrapped in white paper (which incidentally is also available in the likes of Italy and Germany), and hence often referred to as 'continental butter', is much more to out palette, as we're essentially continental people living in the UK, with continental tastes! ;)

Marco.

BTH K10A
15-02-2015, 15:40
Putting a large slice of homemade bread on the end of a toasting fork and holding in front of the fire is one of the best things about winter. Lashings of salted butter on the toast is all you need. :D

It has to be white bread though as toast made with brown bread is only good with pate.

struth
15-02-2015, 16:14
Been back on the bread again this time with bramble preserve:eyebrows:

Marco
15-02-2015, 16:31
Putting a large slice of homemade bread on the end of a toasting fork and holding in front of the fire is one of the best things about winter.

I know what you mean - it's one of the many advantages of coal fires!

It has to be white bread though as toast made with brown bread is only good with pate.

Or better still, melba toast (with pâté, that is). In some ways, they did things right in the 70s! ;)

Marco.

southall-1998
15-02-2015, 17:27
My Irish father sometimes does Soda Bread. Agreed, very nice with Strawberry Jam!!

S.

RichB
20-02-2015, 18:42
Today it's a back of the fridge curry as I call it, chicken bits from the freezer, daal lentils, some limp spinach and a load of random spices Mrs B fetched back from her last trip to Nepal. A bit of powdered coconut and we're in for a feast!

Marco
20-02-2015, 18:55
Sounds good to me, Rich! ‘Leftovers’ can sometimes combine to make the tastiest meals :)

Marco.

struth
20-02-2015, 19:33
always used to make stovies with the leftover roast beef and gravy...it was yummy.

struth
24-02-2015, 15:19
Just out of the oven...looks delish:eyebrows: took 5 mins tops to make..30 min in oven. couldnt be easier
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/07c0bcced1994ea6bd0d9b20b928f2d7.jpg

Marco
24-02-2015, 15:27
Looks great, Granty! Wotcha gonna have it with?

As it’s freezing cold outside, my vote would be cut into wedges with lashings of tasty butter spread on top, and then dipped into a nice piping-hot bowl of home-made Cock-a-Leekie soup (and no, I’m not referring to your ‘waterworks problem’) :eyebrows:

Comfort food, par excellence! :exactly:

Marco.

Haselsh1
24-02-2015, 15:32
Never tried the stuff but I would like to vary things a bit bread-wise. My favourite is home made Focaccia which my other half makes really well. Goes lovely with olive oil and Feta and lots of nice Amerone.

struth
24-02-2015, 15:42
Looks great, Granty! Wotcha gonna have it with?

As it’s freezing cold outside, my vote would be cut into wedges with lashings of tasty butter spread on top, and then dipped into a nice piping-hot bowl of home-made Cock-a-Leekie soup (and no, I’m not referring to your ‘waterworks problem’) :eyebrows:

Comfort food, par excellence! :exactly:

Marco.

first slice will be the thick end piece with lashings of marg(cant afford butter.me poor):eyebrows: and jam. tomorrow as you say itll be dipped in soup..whatever comes to hand. think theres some tatty in freezer

Marco
24-02-2015, 15:42
Respect on the focaccia, Shaun!

Try it with loads of quality rock salt ground on top, together with fresh rosemary sprigs, all sprinkled with the finest extra-virgin olive oil you can find. The idea is to fill the little ‘pockets’ on the focaccia bread with all three items, so that when you bite into the bread, you get the crunch of the rock salt coupled with the smoothness of the ‘squidgy’ olive oil and the pungent flavour of the rosemary.

For added decadence, finish by placing some strips of Parma ham on top - yum, yum!

Oh, btw, it’s Amarone, not Amerone ;) Personally, however, as lovely as that is, it’s a little bit heavy with focaccia, IMO. My preference would be for a nice Chianti DOCG or Montepulciano D’Abruzzo :cheers:

Marco.

struth
24-02-2015, 15:47
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/fcf81d755b21efc21a21c5f66d670699.jpg

Yum

struth
24-02-2015, 15:56
Respect on the focaccia, Shaun!

Try it with loads of quality rock salt ground on top, together with fresh rosemary sprigs, all sprinkled with the finest extra-virgin olive oil you can find. The idea is to fill the little ‘pockets’ on the focaccia bread with all three items, so that when you bite into the bread, you get the crunch of the rock salt coupled with the smoothness of the ‘squidgy’ olive oil and the pungent flavour of the rosemary.

For added decadence, finish by placing some strips of Parma ham on top - yum, yum!

Oh, btw, it’s Amarone, not Amerone ;) Personally, however, as lovely as that is, it’s a little bit heavy with focaccia, IMO. My preference would be for a nice Chianti DOCG or Montepulciano D’Abruzzo :cheers:

Marco.

when i made it it was much like that except it was oregano i. think...i used paul holywoods book

datdad
24-02-2015, 16:27
One of the joys of this Forum is the wide range of items covered, this Bread 'stream' when first read on the 15th and now makes my mouth water with each contribution especially with the photos of bread & jam. Here's mine. I made 4 Soda bread loaves yesterday for a meeting. The first two were made from an Irish Soda bread mix (Sainsburys Camden Town) and came out just fine from our slightly wonky ancient oven, grey, crusty and scrumptious - the loaves not the oven or me. The second two were made with a flour called 'Village Flour' from a Cypriot mill in Famagusta (turkish owned shop in Archway, N. London). This flour is a very fine white Durham wheat flour and seemed not to bake in the time usually given for Soda bread some 40 minutes. After some 40 minutes and then another 15 minutes back in the oven it seemed not to be cooked in an acceptable way. Not a flour to be used for this I feel.
The recipes over the last couple of days in this thread seem worth trying especially the gluten free one, I had two "Gluten Free' committee members yesterday & had to pop out to buy oat meal biscuits to go with the Minestrone while the regulars just tucked in with the thick slices of regular Soda bread & butterly like marge. I'm with the 'no butter' here. Anyway I must stop, I may start dribbling again.

Marco
24-02-2015, 16:42
when i made it it was much like that except it was oregano i. think...i used paul holywoods book

You could use oregano, I suppose. Paul Hollywood? The recipe I use is my mum’s - and she got it from her mum...! ;)

Marco.

Audio Advent
24-02-2015, 16:52
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/fcf81d755b21efc21a21c5f66d670699.jpg

Yum

Oh... Sometimes photos of food don't come out as appetising as you might hope! hehe.

I've been eating a lot of sourbough bread - is it pretty much the same thing?

Marco
24-02-2015, 16:53
Hi Huw,

One of the joys of this Forum is the wide range of items covered, this Bread 'stream' when first read on the 15th and now makes my mouth water with each contribution especially with the photos of bread & jam. Here's mine. I made 4 Soda bread loaves yesterday for a meeting. The first two were made from an Irish Soda bread mix (Sainsburys Camden Town) and came out just fine from our slightly wonky ancient oven, grey, crusty and scrumptious - the loaves not the oven or me. The second two were made with a flour called 'Village Flour' from a Cypriot mill in Famagusta (turkish owned shop in Archway, N. London). This flour is a very fine white Durham wheat flour and seemed not to bake in the time usually given for Soda bread some 40 minutes. After some 40 minutes and then another 15 minutes back in the oven it seemed not to be cooked in an acceptable way. Not a flour to be used for this I feel.
The recipes over the last couple of days in this thread seem worth trying especially the gluten free one, I had two "Gluten Free' committee members yesterday & had to pop out to buy oat meal biscuits to go with the Minestrone while the regulars just tucked in with the thick slices of regular Soda bread & butterly like marge. I'm with the 'no butter' here. Anyway I must stop, I may start dribbling again.

Glad you’re enjoying the forum - we aim to please, especially our fellow ‘foodies’ :)

Soz, I don’t dig marg… On the few occasions I have butter, it’s got to be the tastiest, creamiest type available, usually the Jersey farm variety, or similar. For me, good food is all about maximising flavour! I don’t do bland :nono:

Marco.

struth
24-02-2015, 16:54
Im a first generation bread maker and italian food maker Marco. i was brought up on mince and tatties:eyebrows: which i still love. lol but i try to learn new food tricks so i poach recipies :)
going to have a go at that tort in broth one soon although i will of couse cheat a bit

Marco
24-02-2015, 17:01
Nothing wrong with mince and tatties, done right.

As I said, it’s all about maximising flavour, so for me you want to use the best, leanest beef mince you can get (and that’s a butcher’s, not a supermarket job), and get those mashed tatties nicely soft and buttery, so you can mix them in with the mince a create a lovely mince & tattie ‘paste’ - oh yes! :exactly:

Marco.

struth
24-02-2015, 17:15
Nothing wrong with mince and tatties, done right.

As I said, it’s all about maximising flavour, so for me you want to use the best, leanest beef mince you can get (and that’s a butcher’s, not a supermarket job), and get those mashed tatties nicely soft and buttery, so you can mix them in with the mince a create a lovely mince & tattie ‘paste’ - oh yes! :exactly:

Marco.

and lashings of pepper....................................then pour a tin of beans over it:eek:

Marco
24-02-2015, 17:19
I’m with you on the pepper… Beans, mmm… Maybe! Sometimes, less is more ;)

Marco.

struth
24-02-2015, 18:30
I’m with you on the pepper… Beans, mmm… Maybe! Sometimes, less is more ;)

Marco.

Funnily I am infact having mince and tattie the night.....its called shepherd pie but thats a fancy name for M&T:eyebrows: and not a bean in sight; after all Beans, beans, the magical fruit the more you eat the more you toot

archiesdad
24-02-2015, 21:19
Mince and tatties wi' loads o thick gravy, which, you mop up using soda bread, sorted.
OK Then, butter, salted or not? Salty for me since it's about the only way I can get salt without disapproving looks.

User211
27-02-2015, 12:36
I'd been meaning to make some for a while, but Struth's soda bread thread tipped me over the edge:D

So here we go - I doubled up on the recipe pictured. 500g white flour (actually about 350g Canadian Strong with 150g plain flour - just what I had to hand), 8g bicarb soda, 2 teaspoons salt. I used 260g buttermilk and 260g plain milk. Didn't realise I needed so much buttermilk. Actually from the results I don't think you do.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1sytPM_ekJE/VPBitEiVngI/AAAAAAAACeY/OuDtXJB_lSE/w898-h506-no/dsc01802-qpr.jpg

Here's what I did.

Mix dry ingredients first.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nGzYTLpIIV0/VPBipn9rY0I/AAAAAAAACeI/6c9t-vgp3q0/w898-h506-no/dsc01796-qpr.jpg

The add milk and buttermilk and stir, dump on floured surface.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eEBUi79lzVQ/VPBipuA6EmI/AAAAAAAACd8/JDpHnVsnqkg/w898-h506-no/dsc01798-qpr.jpg

User211
27-02-2015, 12:38
Kneed a tinsy bit and fold over itself a few times and shape into ball. Get a bread knife and slit it on top twice.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-enAh-ZRd2jU/VPBipwKb-KI/AAAAAAAACeE/hvzJfrKTrDw/w898-h506-no/dsc01799-qpr.jpg

User211
27-02-2015, 12:40
Dump into cast iron pot that has been in the oven at 200 deg C for 10 minutes. Be very careful here. Do NOT forget it is hot, LOL.

Put the lid on and put in the oven for 20 minutes.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cSHJfloe9zQ/VPBisBqakxI/AAAAAAAACeQ/50vF1raVCn4/w898-h506-no/dsc01800-qpr.jpg

User211
27-02-2015, 12:42
Take the lid off after 20 minutes and it should look like this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J8Z5nQ-UqWc/VPBit0dYgiI/AAAAAAAACeg/EJgtVTqhuU4/w898-h506-no/dsc01804-qpr.jpg

20 minutes later like this.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b_4GLsCFL6I/VPBixe7w-PI/AAAAAAAACew/PTljfD8Tqis/w898-h506-no/dsc01805-qpr.jpg

Here it is after 50 minutes in total. Maybe 40 would have been better.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--cjVnbykYWo/VPBiwQ1A_UI/AAAAAAAACeo/B0wLPimr4GE/w898-h506-no/dsc01806-qpr.jpg

User211
27-02-2015, 12:44
I did it for 50 because of this.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9QG5fyEmv8A/VPBi1u7n97I/AAAAAAAACfI/DS0vaYe50Cw/w898-h506-no/dsc01809-qpr.jpg

It doesn't get hot inside like real bread, which is only cooked when it hits 90-95 deg C. That's a coffee milk frothing thermometer BTW.

User211
27-02-2015, 12:47
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Vr6InmZXWQU/VPBi0MkJ0UI/AAAAAAAACe4/kD6U9C64CM8/w898-h506-no/dsc01811-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uLo73Jw1Zkg/VPBi1fIQHfI/AAAAAAAACfE/GUJ-w1RWrDQ/w898-h506-no/dsc01812-qpr.jpg

It probably looks brown at the bottom because of the extra 10 minutes. It tastes fine, really a jam bread I think.

I'm not mad on it TBH but if you are a jam lover definitely try it:) It tastes a little sweet and is quite light in texture. It is good toasted.

It really is super simple to make.

User211
27-02-2015, 12:59
TBH real bread is not much harder to make - you just have to wait 12 hours for the yeast to do the work. Pot baking is an excellent way of getting a good, consistent result in a domestic oven without ending up with a burnt mess.

Marco
27-02-2015, 13:10
Looks great, Justin, and I’m sure tastes it, too! :)

It’s probably sweet because of the buttermilk added, which I’m sure will contain sugar. Is it necessary to add buttermilk?

Marco.

struth
27-02-2015, 13:53
not necessary re buttermilk but you will need to add another acid like cream of tartar. temp wise the first 10 to 15 mins it should be very hot then rest at mediun..takes 30 mins. i test it at 30 mins and in middle it is usually around 80 c. the rise only happens for 5 mins during the soda and acid reaction. i wouldnt use strong flour as you are not looking for gluten. softest plain flour is best. irish if you can source it is the best. it shouldnt be overly sweet though.

looks nice.good job. wrapping it when out of oven in a clean tea towel helps stop the crust getting too hard. might try doing it in a pot myself

User211
27-02-2015, 14:20
Well St. Ivel don't fess up to added sugar, but it looks to contain around 7g of sugars for the 260g I used.

Iteration 2 will defo not use buttermilk. It doesn't taste very sweet but there is a trace there I personally don't appreciate.

I used Canadian strong because that's all I had left in white. Actually the recipe says use it, but others I have seen say use plain. Might try an Irish style next. I have tasted commercial sodas that don't taste sweet at all. There is hope yet:eyebrows:

User211
27-02-2015, 14:22
I'll maybe post how to make proper bread easy styleeee. It is very similar to the above.

struth
27-02-2015, 15:39
popped a big one in a pot :eek:

Marco
27-02-2015, 15:45
So have I (a pointed curly one), but I haven’t been baking any bread! :eyebrows:

Marco.