PDA

View Full Version : The Whole Lot Off?

icehockeyboy
04-03-2012, 09:53
I know there have been many posts about whether to turn off amplifiers if not in use etc, but I was wondering if anyone turns off the whole set up, and why?

I do turn off the amp last thing, and now only turn it on when I am going to listen to music, whereas some time back I left it on 24/7.

The Theta doesn't have a switch so it stays on all the time, and I got to wondering if that is a good or bad thing?

Also, when I say the whole lot, I'm including the AV side too, TV, digi box, Blu Ray player, AV amp etc.

Your thoughts gratefully received! :)

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 10:00
I now turn all of my kit off because of one incident that set my speakers on fire at 1:45am... Great things them smoke alarms!

Before that I was very comfortable in leaving kit on 24/7.

Just take no chances, it really isn't worth it. I now feel that if an amp needs to be left on then there is something inherently wrong in the design if it sounds like utter gash when you turn it on from cold. I can accept it may sound a little creaky at switch on but after an hour it should be running perfectly be it most valve kit as well as Transistor.

Those days are gone for me.

Switch it...
http://www.solarelectricitybasics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/energy-conservation-switch-off-lights.jpg

DavefromDorset
04-03-2012, 10:24
I had left all my kit on for the past six years until I had a problem with the amp a few weeks ago. It went back to Arcam, who put in a new DSP board and changed a shedload of caps. Reading elsewhere, it seems that excessive heat may have been the problem so now, after a £300 bill, I'm turning it all off.

Dave

Mr Nad
04-03-2012, 10:26
I turn the whole kit off. All that remains on is the PVR, though goodness knows why - we record hardly anything these days thanks to iPlayer, and the endless repeats (how many times has Charlie and the Chocolate factory been shown in the last two weeks?!).

No point in using up expensive electricity.

I am proud to be tight-fisted.

Tim
04-03-2012, 10:28
All off, that's everything in the flat when not being used. If I am listening to music and the stereo goes on, it stays on all day until bed, as does my computer.

There was a time I left the stereo and computer on 24/7, but I am very concious these days about trying to be as green as possible. I bought a Watt-Meter a couple of years ago and went round every electrical appliance I owned to see it's consumption, both on, off and off a the wall - I got a shock :stalks:

I really try to use as little power as possible now, I don't have kids but the planet needs to be treated with care :D

realysm42
04-03-2012, 10:30
All off.

You wouldn't leave the heating on if you got no benefit from it.

I can never hear a difference in my hear hot or cold.

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 10:32
All off, that's everything in the flat when not being used. If I am listening to music and the stereo goes on, it stays on all day until bed, as does my computer.

There was a time I left the stereo and computer on 24/7, but I am very concious these days about trying to be as green as possible. I bought a Watt-Meter a couple of years ago and went round every electrical appliance I owned to see it's consumption, both on, off and off a the wall - I got a shock :stalks:

I really try to use as little power as possible now, I don't have kids but the planet needs to be treated with care :D

How's the 4.2ltr Jag running Tim? Did you sell the Range Rover?

:lol:

Only kidding but yes, that's another good reason to switch off. Energy prices are going mental and it makes sense too regarding the planet.

Going to hug my cheese plant now! :eek:

Wakefield Turntables
04-03-2012, 10:35
KIT OFF - My kit stabilises after 20 minutes so why bother leaving the thing on all night:scratch:

brian2957
04-03-2012, 10:39
I now turn all of my kit off because of one incident that set my speakers on fire at 1:45am... Great things them smoke alarms!

Before that I was very comfortable in leaving kit on 24/7.

Just take no chances, it really isn't worth it. I now feel that if an amp needs to be left on then there is something inherently wrong in the design if it sounds like utter gash when you turn it on from cold. I can accept it may sound a little creaky at switch on but after an hour it should be running perfectly be it most valve kit as well as Transistor.

Those days are gone for me.

Switch it...
http://www.solarelectricitybasics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/energy-conservation-switch-off-lights.jpg
Joe, I can't remember if it was your experience , or a similar experience from someone else , which led me to reconsider leaving my system on . I now switch everything off including the cable box . You're right , it really isn't worth it . I only switch my system on when I'm up and in the house . Good advice IMO .
Brian.

Tim
04-03-2012, 10:40
How's the 4.2ltr Jag running Tim? Did you sell the Range Rover?
:lol: . . . a Jag . . . I wish.

My trusty little 1.4L car is pretty good, I did 8,000 miles last year, with an overall MPG of 43.07 - I would say nearly all of that was driving to gigs. I walk whenever I can, the shops are 2 miles and work is 1 mile ;)

Welder
04-03-2012, 10:48
Off.

Bicycle.

jon1
04-03-2012, 10:58
Off as well;)

jon

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 11:09
Joe, I can't remember if it was your experience , or a similar experience from someone else , which led me to reconsider leaving my system on . I now switch everything off including the cable box . You're right , it really isn't worth it . I only switch my system on when I'm up and in the house . Good advice IMO .
Brian.

Yep, cheers Brian... A good idea indeed.

icehockeyboy
04-03-2012, 11:31
All off for me from now on then! (I'm sure there's an actress to the bishop joke there somewhere.........:) )

Spur07
04-03-2012, 11:38
when I had my Naim system is was left on 24/7, but now I'm entirely vintage it's switched off when not in use / end of the day.

If ever I get my hands on a pair of original Quad II's however they'll most definitely be turned off when there's no one in the room.

DSJR
04-03-2012, 11:40
Modern kit and properly designed old stuff doesn't need to be left on 24/7 - yup, even Naim with its reversed bias amp caps :eyebrows: and under loaded preamp caps too.

Just switch everything off when not in use!

bogle111
04-03-2012, 11:50
All Off inc. computers & PJs. Sleep better that way plus lower bills.

Have you seen the price of pyjamas?:mental:

technobear
04-03-2012, 13:18
Everything is turned off these days - even the Audiolab.

It might seem that these things don't use a lot of power but when it's on 24/7 it adds up to a considerable sum.

Spectral Morn
04-03-2012, 13:23
Unfortunately some of the gear I own needs left on to reach its full sound quality potential, so I leave some of it on 24/7.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
04-03-2012, 13:31
I have a serious OCD thing anyway, i switch mine off & come back check that ive done it around three time there after cos thats how bad my OCD is :lol:

ursus262
04-03-2012, 13:36
I turn everything off before I go to bed, and only re-awaken things when I get home from work the following day. To be honest, my Naim only needs a few minutes to warm up and it's wasteful to leave everything on.

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 14:33
I have a serious OCD thing anyway, i switch mine off & come back check that ive done it around three time there after cos thats how bad my OCD is :lol:

Did you turn it off?

Sure?

I think you had better check...

Rare Bird
04-03-2012, 19:16
Honestly Joe. I check the place before setting off to work, get a mile down the road i go blank & wonder if ive turned everything off! i go back & check all the same, even when i set off a second time i'm still wondering :mental: ..I think i need a check list to tick off..

Thing Fish
05-03-2012, 01:16
Off

The Black Adder
05-03-2012, 08:00
Honestly Joe. I check the place before setting off to work, get a mile down the road i go blank & wonder if ive turned everything off! i go back & check all the same, even when i set off a second time i'm still wondering :mental: ..I think i need a check list to tick off..

My friend has OCD, what he does is say what he's doing and repeats it. So if he turns a light off he would say or shout 'living room light' - off'.

Apparently it's to tell your brain that you have done it rather than just think it or say it in your head. It can be awful for some. I wasn't having a go at you btw, please don't think that. :)

The Black Adder
05-03-2012, 08:01
Off

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2010/11/29/1291057574667/Gordon-Ramsay-007.jpg

DONE! :) - Although in this case Gordon has obviously forgot to turn his oven off.

Rare Bird
05-03-2012, 08:33
Apparently it's to tell your brain that you have done it rather than just think it or say it in your head. It can be awful for some. I wasn't having a go at you btw, please don't think that. :)

Not at all, i know your a good person Joe..

Barry
06-03-2012, 21:01
The only components I used to leave "on" are my electrostatic speakers. Apart from two moves and a few power-cuts, these have been continuously powered up for the last forty years!

Since acquiring Mark Levinson preamps, which are designed to be left on continuously (they have no 'on/off' switch fitted), these too are left on, though they do get switched off if I'm away from home for long periods of time (weeks).

jandl100
07-03-2012, 10:06
Well, I've had some kit that is claimed to need to be powered up 24/7 for best sound quality, including my current main CDP. Meh ... it sounds fine from cold.
All off at night, for me! :)