PDA

View Full Version : eclipse cd101 mk11

farook
02-03-2012, 18:30
Just bought one of these for a tenner of a guy in bethnal green !
got it home,unplugged my kenwood cd player,and put this one in,well o.m.g
i cannot believe the sound difference !
It was cheap new,but for a tenner its superb,any thoughts views or any info on
this funny looking little thing,i am not kidding,there is a real difference
cant understand it?:scratch:

Alex_UK
03-03-2012, 07:18
Sounds a bargain John - they were pretty good "bargain basement" players in their day (Richer Sounds special, I think?) and a good introduction into what a "separates" player could do. Enjoy!

farook
03-03-2012, 15:26
Wonder if anyone knows what the "space" button is for on the front of this cd player?
i cant work it out,and cant find any info on the net?

Puffin
04-03-2012, 14:26
Is to give a larger gap between tracks when recording?

Mr Nad
04-03-2012, 14:37
My MD deck has a space feature (not a button, but an entry in the menu). It puts an additional gap between tracks during playback. I guess the eclipse will do something similar.

farook
04-03-2012, 23:34
Yes ,I think that is correct ! Took the plunge
And pushed the button ,it apears to pause for a few seconds
Between tracks,would that have been for home tapeing?

morris_minor
04-03-2012, 23:57
Sounds like a good tenners' worth! Googling it found this (http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/story.asp?file=/1997/12/25loeclip), from Singapore, I think. Good if you like ZZTop ;)

farook
06-03-2012, 08:30
Good article Bob
i like this little player,i love my vinyl,but equally
i have about a million cds ,and i do like to play them,as i am on a budget i thought this a good deal! saves me having to use the bose for anything except the radio now!

nat8808
11-03-2012, 17:06
Ahh... the Eclipse CD101..

Takes me back to our house-share system - Eclipse CD101 and Sony tape/vinyl/receiver entertainment system with some dynatron speakers.

I think the CD101 was considered something decent for original bargain basement Richer Sounds type purchases, like say a Cambridge Audio CD4

farook
12-03-2012, 18:50
Yeah,did sound lovely,alas its started to scuff and scratch,shame really
had a nice tone to it,have gone back to my kenwood cd player at the min,until i work out what to do with the little eclipse!
Just on the off chance any ideas what could cause this?,its not dirty and the disk is fine?

Marco
12-03-2012, 19:22
Hi Keiran,

Just a quickie, mate... Where on earth is "st pauls cray orp"? :scratch:

Marco.

StanleyB
12-03-2012, 19:39
Isn't that in Orpington?

Marco
12-03-2012, 19:53
Ah right, so that's what the "Orp" is for! I love it how people think that such places are so famous, everyone will automatically know where it is from an abbreviation... :doh:

;)

Marco.

StanleyB
12-03-2012, 20:27
Ever heard of AoS or AOS ;)?

Marco
12-03-2012, 20:30
Lol... I'm from Wrex, NW. Of course, everyone will know where that is! :eyebrows:

Marco.

freefallrob
12-03-2012, 22:17
Have you tried cleaning the laser lens? Try one of those CD's with little brushes on. Worked on mine. Or it could be the grease on laser 'sled' had gone sticky/goey with age.

Have you looked inside? It's not terrribly pretty but it works....

farook
12-03-2012, 23:31
Hi Marco!
sorry ,i was assuming everybody knows Orpington!
St pauls cray is on the river cray,and is named after its church,there is also a St mary cray!
we are under the Orpington postal district!
so sorry for the confusion!!!
Anyone know why the eclipse is playing up?

freefallrob
13-03-2012, 09:54
Have you tried cleaning the laser lens? Try one of those CD's with little brushes on. Worked on mine. Or it could be the grease on laser 'sled' had gone sticky/goey with age.

Have you looked inside? It's terrribly not pretty but it works....

Beobloke
13-03-2012, 10:23
Have you tried cleaning the laser lense? Try one of those CD's with little brushes on.

No, don't! They can scratch the lens and completely stop the player from working.

CDP laser lenses are best cleaned with a cotton bud and some IPA.

Marco
13-03-2012, 10:45
Hi Keiran,

sorry ,i was assuming everybody knows Orpington!
St pauls cray is on the river cray,and is named after its church,there is also a St mary cray!
we are under the Orpington postal district!
so sorry for the confusion!!!

Lol - I was mainly just pulling your leg, but there was a (slightly) serious point, too.

AoS is an international forum, thus we have members from all over the world. If I didn't know that the "orp" in your profile referred to Orpington, then I doubt that someone from, say, the US or India, would either ;)

Do you see where I'm coming from?

That's why we always ask members, when outlining their location, if they're putting what town or area they live in, to make it nice and clear, and if the town/city that they're living in is not a major well-known one, worldwide, like say, London, Birmingham or Manchester, to always put "UK" after it, for the benefit of our international friends.

This is why on my profile it says: "Wrexham, North Wales, UK", as I'm pretty sure that most people outside of the UK won't have heard of Wrexham, or indeed perhaps of St Paul's Cray, or even Orpington, as famous as it is!! :eyebrows:

Ya gets me? :cool:

Marco.

Marco
13-03-2012, 10:46
Oh, and on that note, Adam, I've been meaning to say this for a while, matey, you need to add your location details to you profile - churz! :)

Marco.

freefallrob
13-03-2012, 11:17
No, don't! They can scratch the lens and completely stop the player from working.

CDP laser lenses are best cleaned with a cotton bud and some IPA.

Oooh, didn't know that......:rolleyes: must admit I haven't had a problem, yet......

Beobloke
13-03-2012, 12:49
Oh, and on that note, Adam, I've been meaning to say this for a while, matey, you need to add your location details to you profile - churz! :)

Marco.

I haven't a clue where I am most of the time....

Marco
13-03-2012, 13:07
Lol, mate, same here, most of the time everything is just a grey haze :D

Marco.

farook
13-03-2012, 16:16
Marco
will amend my details! you are correct !
Rob,thanks for the advice,have cleaned the lens with ipa,that didnt help? it could be the sled? i noticed a lot of toffee like stuff on it,if i clean it all of,what do i re-grease it with,any ideas?
cheers(may get the old thing working !)

farook
13-03-2012, 16:22
And yes,it sounds really nice this little player,better than the kenwood,in fact there is an audible dif when you swap between the two? the kenwood is no where near as dynamic,not bad if you turn it up,but on low volume the eclipse beats it hands down,hope i can get it working,but i really think it could be something seriouse,sometimes it is very subtle and then you just catch it on a quiet passage of music grgrgrg!!!

farook
27-03-2012, 01:30
Oh well ,here I am sadly replying to my own post !!
It seems the old girl don't like playing cds over 74 mins long. !
App its out of its seek range ! This is seriouse cos I can't play my best of yes album !!!
Looks like more saving up to do ! Noticed the nice bangy cd p for sale !
But way out of my leauge ! Think I try find an old techie at some point!!
Cheers !!!!!