PDA

View Full Version : Active crossover with Tannoy 15in Monitor Golds

montesquieu
02-03-2012, 13:17
Just posted this on the 'Wam, which is the main Hifi board I tend to post on having arrived there some time before finding AoS, but I thought my friends here might also be interested especially given the profile of Tannoys on the board .... hope the double post is OK. I'll try and get some pics together soon.

Anyone who has had big Tannoys, be they Monitor series, HPDs or even the later ones, knows how wonderful they are at big scale, filling the room with marvellous music of amazing weight and substance. They are fabulous at big 3D soundscapes, and have a wonderful full-bodied way with timbre. In horn enclosures like the GRF they also have a lot of dynamic punch, though they can be a bit flatter and more tubby sounding in small volume standard Lancaster boxes, the up side being deeper bass of course.

They do have their critics though and for some people, a slight coarseness detectable in the treble (with Golds and HPDs at least) is enough for them to pass on the whole Tannoy thing. I spotted this issue too (especially coming after the wonderful transparency of Quad ESLs), and put it down to the standard crossover on the Golds, which though being reasonably sophisticated, also uses some fairly cheap mass-produced components (mine were 45 years old to boot) On top of that, Golds aren't always the most intricately-detailed of speakers - musical yes, room-filing, yes, but detail-meisters, they aren't. Not in standard guise anyway. They also aren't the easiest to drive and get the best out of, needing a high damping factor to keep those 15in cones under control and not all boomy and soft, something that in my experience means a good PP amp with strong current delivery. I've never had much joy with SET despite trying half a dozen at least.

I've owned my GRFs for over two years now, picked up from Coco when he was fund-raising for his Voyd Reference. After a year or so, I had new crossovers done, with £400 worth of premium bits, which took away (as I had hoped) most of the slight throatiness, as well increasing overall refinement and detail, though enough of a gap between what I was getting and what I thought the potential was remained to keep me wishing for more.

Last autumn I took the cabs up to Russ Collinson in Barnsley for a full refurb. The cabs were of reasonable design but quite old and were built of thinner ply than would be used today, also there was little bracing on them so they did audibly resonate in places, creating a bit of bloom mainly in the upper bass. Russ went to town in the bracing department, putting multiple solid posts in to reinforce the folded horn section and bonded on sheets of plywood to kill panel resonance. He also got rid of the mahogany stain they were coated in and refinished in natural wood, and as a finishing touch made new grilles with vintage cloth. Now, the old girls look stunning.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/newtannoy1.jpg

At the same time he also made up new back plates with speaker posts attached hat enabled the two drivers to be directly wired. Suddenly bi-wiring, or even bi-amping (passive or active) was a possibility. Russ also did some lovely wood boxes to take the custom passive crossovers external. A wonderful job, as usual from Russ.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/newtannoy2.jpg

Ever since coming across this http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy86.htm in the Tannoyista site I've fancied a crack at taking them active. A try with a Behringer DCX 2496 was a bit abortive, mainly because of gain and sensitivity issues (in the GRF cabs they are something like 97db). I managed to pick up (from 'gjm' on the Wam) a 2A3 integrated that would be perfect to experiment with as second amp, while the Audion 300b PP amps (back in my posession after four years doing the rounds ...) have volume controls for variable sensitivity - ideal for level matching.

A conversation with Nick Gorham 'lurcher' resulted in him agreeing to build the circuit above - and last week it duly arrived. Very nice work - he had the boards run up after laying out the circuit for op amps, and added buffer stages to handle any impedance nasties with valve amps at input and output.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/activexover1.jpg

My idea had been to use PP Audion 300bs for decent bass from the 15in cones, and gjm's sweet little 2A3 for the 2in compression driver. People use a mix of drivers in horn systems all the time - why not in a GRF which is a mid-horn and treble horn in the one drive unit?

First listen, though, was disappointing. Bit of fiddling with level matching got the crossover element into the right ball park, but I felt the overall sound was a little course and sub-optimal. Just, not as musical as it should be, not gelling, while detail seemed to have gone a bit blurry and the lovely delicate sound from my valve pre and power amps had gone. It just sounded a bit - well - cheap and solid state. My first thought was that it was an issue with using two different amps - I went looking for a matching pair to try (I'm still hoping to do this at some point!).

I had a discussion with Nick and it transpired that in my conversations with him I'd described this as 'an experiment' - so he'd done his best to keep the cost minimal, including specifying some fairly cheap opamps. He proposed replacing these with OPA604AP. At more than £2 each (times 12) this was four times the cost of the originals, though still hardly a fortune. They duly arrived from RS components and I slotted them in (a new DIY experience for me but I managed ok quite chuffed with myself. 845 SET build here I come :) ). Instant revelation - much much clearer, and the music had returned. Not only that, I was getting the benefits of active coming through loud and clear, less background hash, more low-level detail, better layering in terms of soundstage, more punch and dynamics. It also became obvious that the tweeters were out of phase - duly fixed, this was a big improvement again. I had been worried about putting a bunch of opamps in between my valve pre and power amps, but I needn't have been concerned, this is now a pretty transparent piece of kit and there seems to be no detectable hit on the subtleties of my AN DAC, Nick-designed phono stage or SJS preamp.

I've left it on now for several days to warm up and burn in and it's been getting better and better. As it has settled in, more and more of the valve character has come back, all that lovely ambience and sweetness, without losing the punch and 3D layering. The soundstage has improved over what I had with the passives, as has low-level detail. The only quibble is a very slight comparative loss of focus around the point of the crossover frequency .. something I'm sure that was there before, but was covered up by other hash. And it is only slight, you have to be looking for it. The acid test - listening with the wife - was passed with flying colours. I got the 'now don't you dare go and change anything' lecture that I get occasionally when I do something very right.

Additional refinements remain possible, which I hope might just fix that slight haze around 1khz - improvements to PSU, or (according to Google) I could even spend £25 a pop (times 12 ...) on even fancier opamps. I will definitely go ahead with improvements to the regulation (as recommended by Nick), the opamp option remains on the cards but prohibitive in the short-term I think, I'd need to be really sure any gains would be worth it.

Also the 2A3 is used at max volume, but the Audions level match at around 11 o'clock on the dial - combined with the lowish output on my DAC that means I'm a bit short of gain on the DAC input (no probs on vinyl). So I may still experiment with a higher-sensitivity amp for the 2in driver. And I really ought to twist the arm of JP 'diceman' or Coco to come over with their measuring gear and make sure I've properly matched the levels (by ear it sounds good but measurement would take away any lingering doubt that I have it right).

Of course a valve version of the active crossover circuit would be intriguing as well - now we know it works accurately - and Nick has promised to take a look and see how it might be done ....

But for the moment I'm a happy bunny. I feel a springtime classical music day coming on to canvas the views of the usual suspects as well as some newcomers - will keep the board informed.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/newtannoy3.jpg

DSJR
02-03-2012, 19:17
Way to go sir - WELL DONE!!!!!! :respect:

Ali Tait
02-03-2012, 19:42
Aye, Nick is da man. Sounds like it might get expensive Tom!

jaym481
02-03-2012, 23:13
Damn your eyes! I was living in blissful ignorance with my passive Tannoys. Now I have the upgrade urge (albeit without the funds)

montesquieu
03-03-2012, 00:00
Pics added

Ammonite Audio
03-03-2012, 10:47
I look forward to hearing Tom's active setup. A long/medium term plan of mine is to do this digitally, using the crossover function in my Lyngdorf amplifier - I just need to keep eyes open for a Lyngdorf SDA-2175 amp to complement it.

The Black Adder
03-03-2012, 12:28
Superb fella... I was really hoping you would come back to us with this. My crossovers went back to Nick for a tweek a few weeks ago and the results are stupendously good.

These are really interesting and the first time I've seen any active Tannoy kit.

Many thanks!
Joe

DSJR
03-03-2012, 12:30
I should link this thread to the chap with the NAP500 and late passive 'Briks as proof..

BIG TANNOYS are FAR more efficient and more "alive" sounding than Isobariks irrespective of what they're driven with. The crossovers in this pair of Tannoys were upgraded significantly too, way beyond the already reasonable standard level.

Some might bemoan "all those op-amps" in the electronic crossover, but modern ones perform incredibly well and in all honesty, going to a valve based crossover may add colouration and charm but probably may not ultimately be as good if the op-amps are chosen and supplied with care. Nick will have a huge job to do a valve jobbie as elegant I reckon (Nick now will prove me well and truly wrong I'm sure :))

Seriously though, that electronic crossover, if priced realistically, could be the anser to many old DC owner's dreams I think. Used with a couple of, say, Quad 303's (for sonics and cost reasons), a pair of old HPD's or M Golds could be transformed at possibly lower cost than a full blown souped-up passive crossover....

montesquieu
03-03-2012, 15:38
I should link this thread to the chap with the NAP500 and late passive 'Briks as proof..

BIG TANNOYS are FAR more efficient and more "alive" sounding than Isobariks irrespective of what they're driven with. The crossovers in this pair of Tannoys were upgraded significantly too, way beyond the already reasonable standard level.

Some might bemoan "all those op-amps" in the electronic crossover, but modern ones perform incredibly well and in all honesty, going to a valve based crossover may add colouration and charm but probably may not ultimately be as good if the op-amps are chosen and supplied with care. Nick will have a huge job to do a valve jobbie as elegant I reckon (Nick now will prove me well and truly wrong I'm sure :))

Seriously though, that electronic crossover, if priced realistically, could be the anser to many old DC owner's dreams I think. Used with a couple of, say, Quad 303's (for sonics and cost reasons), a pair of old HPD's or M Golds could be transformed at possibly lower cost than a full blown souped-up passive crossover....

Actually I just picked up a second pair of Audion 300b monoblocks off ebay this morning. These are from the same era (also early models) and also PP, but are the point to point silver-wired version. All zero negative feedback.

I found the Audion 300bs were already a lovely match for the Tannoys, even used into the passive crossover driving both cones they were an improvement (with the GRF cabs at least) on the triode-strapped KT88 amp I was using.

So a Quad of matched 300b monoblocks is going to be quite something i think, this should also resolve my gain issue and make level matching a doddle.

Watch this space !!

montesquieu
08-03-2012, 01:12
An update on the four Audion 300b monoblocks ... changes the presentation quite a bit having another pair of PP amps driving the 2in, rather than the 2A3 SET.

The overall feel is much more robust and solid, not just up top but all the way across the range. Never heard 300b have such grip before.

The gain matching task goes away completely of course, which is a good thing, with the gain perfectly balanced on full output on both sets.

The jury is out though on whether I prefer this new arrangement to 300b PP bass /2A3 SET in the treble ... I'm sure I would if I was listening mainly to Rock or Jazz, but my listening is mainly classical so the more finely nuanced (some might even say coloured) approach fits the music better ...

The final answer might be to try a 300b SET in the treble and do some measurement to get the precise gain match.

stewartwen
08-03-2012, 01:28
Tom welcome to the "Active Society!"
Your comments about the change in sq are the same as mine. I have heard, and built, quite a few active l/s in my time and wouldnt go passive again. Although at the mo am running a pair of elderly IAS speaks which are passive, for now, until they settle down.
I also noticed an "opening up" of the soundstage................it got wider and deeper along with much better bass resolution, coupled with a smoother treble rendition.
I followed your progress and thought that your early trials were valuable, in that you made the same mistakes as I did some years ago. I found it VITALLY important to use Identical amplifiers, because of the phase differential. The amps you used are well respected, but they didnt work together.
Tannoy did, and will build to order, active crossovers for their cabs. I remember reading a paper written by them on this subject a long time ago, they discussed at length the type of pwr amps required. I can only assume that they didn't put this active crossover into mass production cos it was too expensive and too complex for the average consumer. At IAS we only made three cabs with active crossovers and amp packs, we thought that the market wouldn't stand the extra complexity.
Well done for your tenacity and enjoy the music!:)

montesquieu
08-03-2012, 01:47
Cheers Stewart and thanks for your input over the two years I've been pondering!

I have one more tweak to come - some newclass d regulators for the xover psu .. See how that goes.

That and a bit of attention to hum issues. I have four mono blocks, a pre, a phono stage, and a dac all valve in the room now plus xover, tt psu and transport, 10 boxes, have a mix of hum types to deal with. Usually goes away with perseverance!

lurcher
08-03-2012, 08:09
The final answer might be to try a 300b SET in the treble and do some measurement to get the precise gain match.

If its any use, I have a measuring mike and preamp you can use with a PC sound card to measure the speakers in room.

kininigin
08-03-2012, 10:11
Hi tom,

Active 15" tannoys :eek:,now that is something i would love to hear.

Hope you get them sorted.

montesquieu
08-03-2012, 10:49
Hi tom,

Active 15" tannoys :eek:,now that is something i would love to hear.

Hope you get them sorted.

Well you seem to be in Berkshire, I'm in Wokingham area so you can't be that far away! You'd be most welcome.

On another topic ... anyone know (or can lend :D ) a suitable solid state amp, with vol control for level matching, just to test out how that might work?

The forthright sound of a quad of 300b pp monoblocks is growing on me but it would be interesting to compare it to something completely different !

This could be a lot of fun ...:)

Ali Tait
08-03-2012, 10:54
An update on the four Audion 300b monoblocks ... changes the presentation quite a bit having another pair of PP amps driving the 2in, rather than the 2A3 SET.

The overall feel is much more robust and solid, not just up top but all the way across the range. Never heard 300b have such grip before.

The gain matching task goes away completely of course, which is a good thing, with the gain perfectly balanced on full output on both sets.

The jury is out though on whether I prefer this new arrangement to 300b PP bass /2A3 SET in the treble ... I'm sure I would if I was listening mainly to Rock or Jazz, but my listening is mainly classical so the more finely nuanced (some might even say coloured) approach fits the music better ...

I'd venture to suggest that the 2A3 SET (assuming it's a good amp) would have a better top end than a 300b. YMMV.

Ali Tait
08-03-2012, 10:55
To my ears, a 45 SET would be even better.

kininigin
08-03-2012, 11:02
Well you seem to be in Berkshire, I'm in Wokingham area so you can't be that far away! You'd be most welcome.

Thanks tom,most appreciated.Im on holiday as of next week,for a few weeks.I'll send you a pm,to see when would be suitable for you.

Im not far,i live in twyford :)

DSJR
08-03-2012, 11:23
Just a quickie for anyone else considering going active with old Tannoys - Having heard some IIILZ's yesterday, I'd say it's ESSENTIAL to get the cabs right before opening the aural window any more. The IIILZ has potential, but are totally hobbled by REALLY resonant cabs, their back panels flapping around accordingly and alarmingly on this pair at least.. Having heard what these little 12" DC drivers can do elsewhere, I think the cabinet quality MUSt be attended to first.

Again, using the original passive crossover, I found with this little driver (12" little? - well, it is in this company) the tweeter level should be set to -1 along with the rolloff control - sounded much less spikey to me, although on this model, the upper mid confusion and "glare" dominated the proceedings all too much...

Marco
08-03-2012, 11:27
Nice work, Tom. I'm sure that they sound stunning :)

Watch this space next year for bi-amped active 15" MG Lockwood Majors, driven by 50W Class A Copper amp monoblocks! :wowzer: :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

montesquieu
08-03-2012, 11:31
Thanks tom,most appreciated.Im on holiday,as of next week,for a few weeks.I'll send you a pm,to see when would be suitable for you.

Im not far,i live in twyford :)

2mins away I'm in winnersh ...:)

kininigin
08-03-2012, 11:42
2mins away I'm in winnersh ...:)

lol,close indeed.

Watch this space next year for bi-amped active 15" MG Lockwood Majors, driven by 50W Class A Copper amp monoblocks! :wowzer: :eyebrows:

;)

As in 4 mono's for each driver? You nutter :lol: :yesbruv: :youtheman:

Welder
08-03-2012, 11:48

;)

Marco.

I'll order you up some fire extinguishers then shall I Marco. :lol:

Marco
08-03-2012, 12:02
:lolsign:

Aye, only 'cos the music will be smokin'!!

:rave:

:hairmetal: :hairmetal:

Marco.

montesquieu
09-03-2012, 01:07

;)

Marco.

Quad of monoblocks can be cool .... or hot :cool:

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/audionx4.jpg

sq225917
09-03-2012, 08:23
There's some suitably over the topishness going on in this thread- congrats all round.

Marco
09-03-2012, 10:01
Lol - you're a very mad boy, Tom! Like Simon, I thoroughly approve :D

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
09-03-2012, 10:11
oh boy! I'm years behind when it comes to this valve thing! I've suddenly been bitten by the bug of valve and tannoy speakers. :eek:

DSJR
09-03-2012, 11:31
Well, you've got a proper amp for them, but vintage cabinets are cr@p with a capital C....

Marco
09-03-2012, 12:45
Lol - nowt wrong with the Lockwood ones housing my Tannoys! Be careful with those absolutist remarks, Davey-boy! ;)

Some vintage cabs are pish; some aren't...

Marco.

montesquieu
09-03-2012, 13:54
Well, you've got a proper amp for them, but vintage cabinets are cr@p with a capital C....

Before the refurb I might have agreed with you but Russ's work in bracing the folded horn elements and in bonding new panels to damp the main part of the cabinet has rather swung things in the other direction.

The Black Adder
09-03-2012, 17:16
oh boy! I'm years behind when it comes to this valve thing! I've suddenly been bitten by the bug of valve and tannoy speakers. :eek:

Good lad.... Now your in the club we need to take some of your brain tissue. :eek:

Marco
09-03-2012, 17:20
You'll have to find one first, lol!

;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
09-03-2012, 17:23

I agree, the kitchenettes were rubbish and those display cabinets that had hardboard sliding doors... Pah, pish n fiddles.

But Tannoy speaker cabinets are superb!... Like with all speakers it depends what you have in em and what system you have on em, and then there's your room, square, oblong, high or low ceiling. Then there is your ears, do people with big ears hear better than persons with small?

Personally, I love me Lancasters and they sound superb with the correct speaker inside them, they are great but obviously the Lockwoods or Westies would have more purchase.

Do you like peas?

I do.

Reid Malenfant
09-03-2012, 19:30
It's about time that someone did this :D Just looked at the circuit diagram & there is more to come if someone fits a small delay circuit to the bass driver output. You see the tweeter voicecoil is behind the bass voicecoil & at 1KHz which I believe is the crossover frequency as standard they simply won't be in phase. All that's needed is an all pass phase shifting network that gives the required delay at 1KHz & Bobs your dads brother. It would probably boil down to an extra op-amp per channel & a few passive components :)

;)

Marco.
Yes, it was only a question of time :eyebrows:

See how all these good ideas gradually filter down to others & get accepted :ner: :rfl:

Ali Tait
09-03-2012, 19:42
Or use a Behringer, which will do that for you.

Reid Malenfant
09-03-2012, 19:49
Or use a Behringer, which will do that for you.
Yep, I just mentioned that the other circuit could have it added just in case anyone was interested :)

However, I'd go for the Behringer like yourself :D Just need one more pristine example myself & I'll be laughing. I already own five but one is dog rough & as such isn't fit to go into the rack along with the others.

Five xovers for five x four way active speakers :) Coming sooner rather than later I hope...

Ali Tait
09-03-2012, 20:43
Sounds like that'll be quite a system!

Dunno what you're wanting to pay mate, but they are on Amazon brand new for £210-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-DEQ2496-Ultracurve-Precision-Mastering/dp/B000CCN152/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331325710&sr=8-3

Reid Malenfant
09-03-2012, 20:54
That's the DEQ2496 Ali... Cheers for the thought though :)

I have been very lucky & got 3 brand new DCX secondhand for about £160 each. Bought by others & unused, still with the little tag on the rack handles & plastic covering on the displays, boxed, manual etc.

Only bought one new myself & was going to have a crack at another secondhand but I just noticed the seller has ended the auction on fleabay this evening :rolleyes:

I'm patient :lol:

Ali Tait
09-03-2012, 21:14
Oops! too many beers..

One here only four quid more-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-DCX2496-Ultradrive-Loudspeaker-Management/dp/B000NJ3YI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331327601&sr=8-1

Reid Malenfant
09-03-2012, 21:27
Cheers Ali, that's better than on the bay :) I'll keep an eye on it, though as I say I'm not in too much of a rush I still might just go for that :)

Ali Tait
09-03-2012, 21:32
Aye, I've seen used ones go for more on the bay. Madness. :mental:

montesquieu
16-03-2012, 15:15
Interesting development last night ... just picked up a pair of Lockwood Universal cabinets (similar or identical perhaps to the Major cabinets with their two chambers) up in Marlow last night. Not bad nick either.

I had been tempted to have a copy of these made but will be very interesting to compare back to back with the GRFs.

They've had 15in Reds inside previously so hopefully won't be too difficult to fit my 15in Golds ... need to order up four pairs of binding posts, I already have a spare set of Tannoy plugs ... need a bit of help though as I'm utterly hopeless when it comes to tools ....

If they are an improvement on the GRFs (I suspect 'different' rather than better ... anticipate trading more extended bass for that lovely midrange punch of the GRF mid-horn) I'll have the outsides done either in veneer or perhaps even Formica to keep them closer to original! Will also fit some castors as I've found them to be essential for the GRFs (they boxes look very similarly sized and the Majors may even be a bit bigger. They are considerably heavier than the GRFs though).

They are actually in quite nice shape for their age, the grill cloth and chrome surround are lovely.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/SAM_0606.jpg

Marco
16-03-2012, 21:03
Oooh, very interesting, Tom - keep us posted on what you think! :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
16-03-2012, 21:05
He thinks they look like biggish speakers with snazzy chrome bezels :D

:lol: