PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 28.02.2012: Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

Alex_UK
28-02-2012, 15:39
Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D6KQCSSSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/6lo0ndbssQu7cPHIYFclvk

Wikipedia Links: Jeff Buckley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Buckley) - Grace - The Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_(Jeff_Buckley_album))

This week, we are using the "reserve-reserve" - unfortunately Will (WAD62) is incommunicado at the moment, and the first reserve is unavailable, too - so we've fallen back to an absolute classic which has been waiting in the wings for such an occasion - and not a moment too soon in my opinion!

Here's what Caitlin Moran has to say about Grace:

Here's what they say about Jeff Buckley: "He died too young". Here's why they say it: Grace is simply one of the most amazing things you can do with your ears and a little digitally-encoded disc. He inherited the voice of his father, the legendary Tim Buckley--seven octaves, each of them only just enough to cram his big feverish dreams into--but his music was all his own. Think Van Morrison's Astral Weeks on drugs--but then drugs could give some kind of comfort, and there's no comfort in Grace; just constant flux between crippling despair and an almost violent joy. When "Last Goodbye" unfolds it's third different middle-eight of Bollywood strings and Buckley's ecstatic scatting, it's hard to believe an ordinary human could have had a hand in something so extraordinary.

Regularly featuring in "top albums of all time" lists, many people define this as an absolute classic album - and I am sure many of you know it intimately - however with this week's album club, here is an opportunity to revisit and comment on Jeff Buckley's only completed studio album, and perhaps reflect on his legacy and the tragedy of his loss. If you don't already know this gem of an album - then you could be in for a treat! Enjoy!

:)

RochaCullen
28-02-2012, 16:41
Like a lot of folk, I love this album.

One funny thing I did with this album was give it to each of my serious girlfriends, and based on their reaction to it, I could see how the relationship was going to pan out. I was in love with the album during my early twenties, and I had a hunch if she, whoever she was, loved me, she would at least give it a good listen.

keiths
28-02-2012, 16:51
Oddly enough, I've not played this one for ages :scratch:

Rather looking forward to re-visiting it :)

sparrow
28-02-2012, 17:08
I have it but believe it or not have never played it..will do that this week.

Alex_UK
28-02-2012, 17:22
I have it but believe it or not have never played it..will do that this week.

:eek:

Alex_UK
28-02-2012, 17:24
Oddly enough, I've not played this one for ages :scratch:

Rather looking forward to re-visiting it :)

Funny how some albums go that way. Mind you, Hallelujah is one of my "hifi test tracks" and as I'm always farting around with something or other it gets a lot of plays!

Alex_UK
28-02-2012, 17:26
One funny thing I did with this album was give it to each of my serious girlfriends, and based on their reaction to it, I could see how the relationship was going to pan out. I was in love with the album during my early twenties, and I had a hunch if she, whoever she was, loved me, she would at least give it a good listen.

I reckon I'd still be single! :lol:

baron
28-02-2012, 17:28
I like this album, not played it for a while. Will get it out now.

John
28-02-2012, 17:43
This album has been with played hundreds of times in my system, for me a classic and has been in my all time favourite albums ever since I heard it
For me you can hear the fragile nature of Jeff on the album, but also because of this you hear so much emotion. His choice of covers are great giving his own stamp to them but his own songs you hear him exploring his thoughts and emotions dealing with his manic depression and father, yet somehow within that pain there is always hope and beauty

Bazil
28-02-2012, 19:22
A classic album I have only recently discovered.

aquapiranha
28-02-2012, 21:18
Like a good few others, I love this album. 8/10

Alex_UK
28-02-2012, 21:40
Nice one Steve. (Although 8 out of 10 might not quite read the same as it did earlier when the poll was set up, due to a little bit of judicial editing by a certain someone... :lol:)

Welder
28-02-2012, 22:15
I can see myself being a minority of one yet again.
I bought this when it first came out. Played it, took it back.
A few years later a friend was browsing my collection and mentioned with some concern that I didn't have Jeff Buckley Grace.
I gave my usual kind of comment about what i thought of the album and got told I was a deaf tosser and needed to give it another try.
A few days later my friend turned up with the CD, thrust it in my hand and said "have another listen".
Managed a couple of tracks and put it in the local charity shop.
I tried again last year when it arrived in a batch of CDs I bought; it went straight in the resell pile.
So, basically i just don't get it. I appreciate a vast number of music lovers think its a truly great album but there are one or two others of the same reputation I wouldn't just cant stand.
What can I tell you ;)

MartinT
28-02-2012, 22:55
I had a hunch if she, whoever she was, loved me, she would at least give it a good listen.

Did you generally do well from this hunch?

MartinT
28-02-2012, 22:59
It's a great album and stands repeat listening very well. Mind you, I still prefer Cohen's own performance of Hallelujah. 8/10.

Tim
28-02-2012, 23:23
Well I don't really have to listen to this album, as it's played so often. I have the standard copy on CD as well as the 2 disc Legacy Edition. It was one of my favourite albums from it's first hearing and remains so to this day and that is unlikely to ever change - a timeless classic for me, 10/10 and it would most likely be going to a desert island.

I think every track is a winner TBH, but Lilac Wine, Dream Brother and Hallelujah and favourites and then there's Last Goodbye, which moves me as only a handful of songs are capable of.

If folks here are new to Jeff and they enjoy Grace, give Live at Sin-é a go. It might be a little raw for some, especially if you don't enjoy live music as much as studio. It is however a very personal recording, which IMO really highlights what a musical genius Jeff was.

Great choice Alex :youtheman:

Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é (http://open.spotify.com/album/3w2tUtd7xCmJw8ly1uwErs)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-02-2012, 23:31
When I first heard this I was very dubious ... Bought it on a recommendation without hearing it...
Listened to it at a mates in town first, we turned our noses up a bit at it.
I then left and went to get the bus home and realised I had it in my head and realy wanted to listen to it again.
Got home, put it on, loved it since!

Marco
28-02-2012, 23:42
Nice one Steve. (Although 8 out of 10 might not quite read the same as it did earlier when the poll was set up, due to a little bit of judicial editing by a certain someone... :lol:)

Gosh, what rotter could have done such a thing?

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
29-02-2012, 00:33
A quick reminder from an old Spinning Today posting tells me that I last listened to this on Sunday. I bought the album on it's year of release 1994 - in fact Mrs Wazzles & I each bought a copy for the other for Christmas of that year, just out of curiosity on the strength of the music that his Dad had made.

It's remained a constant fixture in our listening habits & I'm sure it'll remain so for a long time to come.

I think it's put together so well and works fantastically as a piece. Look at the contrast provided by the matching of the 'Corpus Christi Carol' followed by the sudden impact, dynamics and growling bass guitar of 'Eternal Life'. I nearly crapped myself the first time I heard that - it was playing loudly!

I also love the rich, chocolatey thick quality that the mix has - you can't fail to be engulfed in it. Fantastic album - 10/10 from me.

Werner Berghofer
29-02-2012, 08:02
Alex,

many people define this as an absolute classic album

I know, but personally I’m still not able to connect to the music on this album. Inspired by this thread, yesterday evening I gave it another try, but after the seventh track (“Lover, you should’ve come over”) I eventually switched to Jan Garbarek’s album “Rites”, which has been a constant source of joy for me since its release in 2007.

In my opinion songs with a complicated structure are not necessarily better with communicating emotions and feelings. While listening, most of the time I wanted to hear the raw power and simplicity of Patti Smith’s songs from “Horses”. Of course Jeff Buckley’s voice was very impressive and the musicians knew very well how to play their instruments, but I fear the only song from this album I enjoyed was “Lilac wine”.

Werner.

John
29-02-2012, 08:38
Its interesting how music causes so much differences in taste
I think if you look at the legacy of Grace and how many musicians loved this album says it all for me.
Music is truly personal and like Tim this will be in my Desert Island discs

RochaCullen
29-02-2012, 11:12
Did you generally do well from this hunch?

I did generally. Really, the effect was that it would quickly tell me who was closed minded or only willing to give time to their own interests, and who was more open to new things and willing indulge in one or two of my interests. You could have used a thousand things to find out such information, it just happened with me that it was this album.

griffo104
29-02-2012, 11:49
As far as I am concerned a perfect album. A wonderful voice, great playing from a tight band, good choice of songs, even the covers.

I well remember listening to this for the first time many years ago and thinking it was ok, couldn't see what the fuss is about, all those years later this is a regular on the turntable (thank you Simply Vinyl).

It rocks on the odd track and then it can by a simple gasp of breath, sad and lonely, on another song. Beautiful.

My first 10/10 album club.

sparrow
29-02-2012, 15:42
Can't find my copy...........:scratch:

DanJennings
29-02-2012, 19:57
yep, I'll have a listen to this tomorrow.

I do love this album, it's so fragile in places and his voice is just amazing.

personal highlights would be: Grace, So Real, Lover You Should've Come Over.

Hamish played me this album round his place when I didn't know him very well, I'd never heard it before, but I loved it straight from the off!

Bazil
29-02-2012, 21:01
A very unique album there is no common sound almost a collection of covers as it where.
Really like some not keen on others but a definite 8/10.

keiths
06-03-2012, 18:21
I settled on 8/10 in the end for this. I need to be in the mood for it, but when I am, then it tends to be played several times in succession. I don't like every track on it, but Mojo Pin; Lilac Wine and Lover, You Should Have Come Over are practically perfection. I mentioned this on another thread, but it always upsets me thinking about how good the music he still had to come would have been.

Jac Hawk
11-03-2012, 21:22
Well guys i gave it a listen again, i heard it years ago and it just didn't impress me then, anyway it's an album i can take or leave, nothing on it really gets the hairs standing up on the back of my neck, but neither does it offend 6/10 for me

Barry
26-10-2012, 00:24
It's not until I get to the track 'Hallelujah' (and all the following tracks) does the album come alive for me.

Despite that I do have a copy and will give it 7/10.