PDA

View Full Version : Audioquest noise stoppers

magiccarpetride
27-02-2012, 22:09
A chap in my neighbourhood is closing down his high end audio store, due to lack of interest (maybe bad location, or it's an ominous sign of the impeding doom of the hi fi industry?)

His last day is Wednesday (two more sleeps away), so I went in looking for deals. Almost all of his inventory's already been sold, only one case on the side still remains with some leftover do-dads.

One thing caught my eye -- the Audioquest noise stopper (http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-RCA-Jack-Noise-Stopper/dp/B00447ZOCE). Seems like a cheap way to try to eliminate some noise from my hi fi. Has anyone tried those and do they really work as advertised? The guy in the store told me that they do help prevent RFI and EMI from entering the components and muddying the sound. Are those worth trying out?

Please hurry with your replies -- I only have one more day to go!

Stratmangler
27-02-2012, 22:20
A chap in my neighbourhood is closing down his high end audio store, due to lack of interest (maybe bad location, or it's an ominous sign of the impeding doom of the hi fi industry?)

His last day is Wednesday (two more sleeps away), so I went in looking for deals. Almost all of his inventory's already been sold, only one case on the side still remains with some leftover do-dads.

One thing caught my eye -- the Audioquest noise stopper (http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-RCA-Jack-Noise-Stopper/dp/B00447ZOCE). Seems like a cheap way to try to eliminate some noise from my hi fi. Has anyone tried those and do they really work as advertised? The guy in the store told me that they do help prevent RFI and EMI from entering the components and muddying the sound. Are those worth trying out?

Please hurry with your replies -- I only have one more day to go!

What's the casework on your amplifier made of?

magiccarpetride
28-02-2012, 00:29
What's the casework on your amplifier made of?

Thick aluminum (or, aluminium, if I'm being a prick).

The Grand Wazoo
28-02-2012, 00:57
Blimey guv'nor , am I good to you, or what?
I've just spent ages looking for this thread for you:

Hi-Fi Jewellery (RCA Caps) (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9695)

jandl100
28-02-2012, 07:21
I've tried those type of caps in the past and they've never made any difference that I could hear.

I tried the ones with shorting pins as well, and had the same result.

But I am sure they are very system and environment dependent.

magiccarpetride
28-02-2012, 19:54
Blimey guv'nor , am I good to you, or what?
I've just spent ages looking for this thread for you:

Hi-Fi Jewellery (RCA Caps) (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9695)

Fantastic, and thanks! Send me the invoice.

magiccarpetride
28-02-2012, 20:04
I've tried those type of caps in the past and they've never made any difference that I could hear.

OK, I took the plunge last night and bought those noise stoppers (didn't take too much prodding, as they're selling for pocket change).

Did I have any expectation bias? I don't think so, as these caps don't look impressive at all, nor is there a reasonable explanation as to why would they work.

Did I hear a difference? Short answer: yes. OK, I'm now ready for your attacks, as I have just placed my finger on the Caps Lock key.

So what's the difference? Let's first talk about absence of claimed differences -- no, I haven't heard any 'blacker blacks' (which is what the sales dude promised; btw, I've never in my life heard those mystical 'blacker blacks' -- you?) Furthermore, I haven't been able to detect any change in the sound quality -- it all sounds the same as before.

So what's the change that I've heard? Simply put, more details. While everything else stayed the same, and the sound quality, or the character of the sound remained intact, I'm now hearing more details on the familiar tracks. Details such as previously unheard quiet scratches in the percussion section, longer shimmering of the cymbal decay, previously unheard smacking of the singer's lips, stuff like that. Also, any quiet strumming of acoustic guitars in the background are now somehow easier to follow.

Am I imagining things? Sure, that's always an option. But if I've ended up imagining that my system now delivers more music for a meagre pocket change, so be it -- it's an acceptable price to pay, for my money. Maybe my environment is poisoned by lots of RFI and EMI, and that's why these noise stoppers are doing it for me.

Caps Lock ON. BRING IT ON, MOFOS!

The Grand Wazoo
28-02-2012, 20:06
It's great that they worked for you Alex.

AlanS
29-02-2012, 13:14
So what's the change that I've heard? Simply put, more details. While everything else stayed the same, and the sound quality, or the character of the sound remained intact, I'm now hearing more details on the familiar tracks. Details such as previously unheard quiet scratches in the percussion section, longer shimmering of the cymbal decay, previously unheard smacking of the singer's lips, stuff like that. Also, any quiet strumming of acoustic guitars in the background are now somehow easier to follow.
Good result Alex. Seek and ye shall find an improvement.

Spectral Morn
29-02-2012, 17:53
I reviewed the Telos caps awhile back for Adventures in High Fidelity Audio and I heard a distinct improvement using RCA and XLR types; so no brickbats will be coming from my direction Alex.

Regards D S D L

realysm42
29-02-2012, 18:47
Are there different versions available for the different connections on an amp (I'm guessing yes by your comment Neil).

Is the idea to use them on every free connector?

magiccarpetride
29-02-2012, 21:37
I reviewed the Telos caps awhile back for Adventures in High Fidelity Audio and I heard a distinct improvement using RCA and XLR types; so no brickbats will be coming from my direction Alex.

Regards D S D L

That's very encouraging to hear, Dalek. At least I'm not going crazy, because the more I keep listening to music with these noise stoppers in, the more I'm amazed. And especially considering the pocket change price tag for these caps.

Can you send me the link for your review?

magiccarpetride
29-02-2012, 21:43
Are there different versions available for the different connections on an amp (I'm guessing yes by your comment Neil).

Is the idea to use them on every free connector?

Yes, and here is why: I've originally bought only a package of ten of those, but then realized that I still have 8 more open RCA connectors in my system. So yesterday I went back and bought some more, and lo and behold, after covering every available free connector in my hi fi, the sound got completely cleared of all the grime and grit. It's almost as if I've scrubbed and washed everything, so that the pristine sound can come out in full sparkle. The biggest improvement that I heard last night was in male choirs -- I can now easily single out every individual male singer, with his vocal peculiarities, in the crammed and jammed crowd of singers vying for my attention.

The final question I have is this: does it matter if a dozen more free RCA connectors on my TV are left open, even though the TV is not on while I'm listening to music?

realysm42
29-02-2012, 22:13
Okay,

Once again, I'm a little dubious about these tweaks but only too happy to be proven wrong (and so far, everything I've put faith in on this board has paid dividends) so I've bought a set of 12 :D

This will cover every RCA on my amp, I'll report back.

The Grand Wazoo
29-02-2012, 22:18

Sorry Alex, I thought that link was mentioned in the AoS thread above.
http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/20/07/2010/telos-audio-design-rca-and-xlr-caps-are-these-products-just-mere-audio-jewelery/

realysm42
29-02-2012, 22:23
BTW - I thought you might like to read some (admittedly basic) info I found on shorting pins, perhaps this is why you didn't get an improvement?

http://www.gcaudio.com/products/reviews/infocardas.html

(Please see halfway down the page to read about shorting caps)

magiccarpetride
29-02-2012, 22:25
Okay,

Once again, I'm a little dubious about these tweaks but only too happy to be proven wrong (and so far, everything I've put faith in on this board has paid dividends) so I've bought a set of 12 :D

This will cover every RCA on my amp, I'll report back.

I'd be really curious to hear your impressions. Also, make sure that any other RCS connectors in your system are covered. It should noticeably clear up your sound (of course, this is assuming that the sound in your system has been somehow dirtied up in your environment; mine seems to have been quite dirty for some inexplicable reason, because these caps suddenly brought in much needed law and order:)

magiccarpetride
29-02-2012, 22:37
Sorry Alex, I thought that link was mentioned in the AoS thread above.
http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/20/07/2010/telos-audio-design-rca-and-xlr-caps-are-these-products-just-mere-audio-jewelery/

Ah, gotcha! Sorry about the confusion. (btw, nice honest writeup)

realysm42
29-02-2012, 22:44
I'd be really curious to hear your impressions. Also, make sure that any other RCS connectors in your system are covered. It should noticeably clear up your sound (of course, this is assuming that the sound in your system has been somehow dirtied up in your environment; mine seems to have been quite dirty for some inexplicable reason, because these caps suddenly brought in much needed law and order:)

Yeah, this will cover all of my RCA inputs; I only use XLR's in my stereo.

The back of my amp also has RCA's if I so choose to turn it into a power amp. This requires internal modification (apparently) and so I'm thinking that bit may not need covering. And I'm too tight to splash out another £50 just to cover 4 more holes (using less than half the packet).

As I say, I'll report back :cheers:

The Grand Wazoo
29-02-2012, 22:49
....btw, nice honest writeup
Not guilty, that was yer man Neil (Dalek)

realysm42
29-02-2012, 22:50
Not guilty, that was yer man Neil (Dalek)

Found some links to some cool gear on that site.

Spectral Morn
29-02-2012, 23:22
That's very encouraging to hear, Dalek. At least I'm not going crazy, because the more I keep listening to music with these noise stoppers in, the more I'm amazed. And especially considering the pocket change price tag for these caps.

Here you go Alex http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/20/07/2010/telos-audio-design-rca-and-xlr-caps-are-these-products-just-mere-audio-jewelery/

Regards D S D L

Concerto Audio
01-03-2012, 11:51
Hi Martin
If you require only 4 rca caps i can post it to you for free. send me a pm :)

realysm42
01-03-2012, 11:57
You're a star - many thanks and PM sent!

Concerto Audio
01-03-2012, 12:13
No problem....will try to post it on Monday.

realysm42
01-03-2012, 12:15
Ps nice website, got some interesting bits on there.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 14:09
So I've receievd my Cardas noise stoppers and put them onto my amp, after a few songs, there's a notciable difference in sound detail (I don't know if this is the same as quality, but they are relatives of eachother for sure), so far I'm happy :D

I wasn't expecting this much of a difference - so thanks for bringing these to my attention! Just to add a little context, my source of audio is a big, loud (once powerful) gaming pc, that sits right behind my amp, so I'm sure there's all sorts of pollution leaking all over the shop with it, so I'm guessing with all things audio YMMV.

One thing I'm not happy about is the finish of the items, especially after having seen how nice other brands are. I've got other Cardas bits in my system and wouldn't change them for the world, but the finish on all of these are dodgy:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/realysm42/Image0720.jpg

I've emailed the vendor and await their reply, I'm thinking this is a set that just slipped through the net.

Once again, I'm very happy to have been proven wrong with this idea :)

MartinT
03-03-2012, 14:14
I bought a bundle of these from eBay and use them on all my non-connected sockets. If anyone has a source for XLR ones, do let me know.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 14:25
When you say source, are you finding it hard to find them? I saw several retailers stocking them.

Have you noticed an improvement with them?

MartinT
03-03-2012, 14:26
It's a small thing, but when you put around 20 on every disused socket it has a positive cumulative effect. I'll look for XLR ones too, as my system is predominantly balanced connected.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 14:28
I think I'm misunderstaning you, how can you put more than one cap on per socket?

Do you mean you've got about 20 sockets to cover and the more you do, the bigger the effect?

If so I get you.

I currently only use XLR's.

Question to all, is it more than just the amp you should be doing this for? Ie, would my dac benefit from this treatment too?

MartinT
03-03-2012, 14:33
Do you mean you've got about 20 sockets to cover and the more you do, the bigger the effect?

If so I get you.

I currently only use XLR's.

Yes - since I use XLRs, there are a lot of open phono sockets around the system!

Only my turntable uses phono cables. And the DAC, but that's just for AV use.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 14:35
Cheers for the clarification.

Do you reckon there would be benefit for blocking other units inputs, other than just the amps? I'm guessing yes, if the same logic can be applied.

MartinT
03-03-2012, 14:38
I block them all - SACD player, DAC, preamp, power amp etc. I still have a few spare.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 14:49
Now you've got me thinking.

One's work is never done :eyebrows:

***EDIT*** the more I listen, the more of a difference I hear with this, anyone in a similar situation to me, I could definitlely recommend trying this.

magiccarpetride
05-03-2012, 22:09
Cheers for the clarification.

Do you reckon there would be benefit for blocking other units inputs, other than just the amps? I'm guessing yes, if the same logic can be applied.

Yes, definitely block all the unused inputs. I was actually surprised upon discovering that even blocking the inputs on my TV helped clear up the sound, so don't be shy and go all the way:)

magiccarpetride
05-03-2012, 22:12
So I've receievd my Cardas noise stoppers and put them onto my amp, after a few songs, there's a notciable difference in sound detail (I don't know if this is the same as quality, but they are relatives of eachother for sure), so far I'm happy :D

I wasn't expecting this much of a difference - so thanks for bringing these to my attention! Just to add a little context, my source of audio is a big, loud (once powerful) gaming pc, that sits right behind my amp, so I'm sure there's all sorts of pollution leaking all over the shop with it, so I'm guessing with all things audio YMMV.

I feel gratified that you were able to confirm my findings. I sometimes stumble upon a tweak, such as this one, that makes such a hugely audible improvement in sound quality, that I begin suspecting my own hearing. Of course, the fact that people on this forum (and on other forums) enjoy ridiculing any such findings doesn't help. So it is always reassuring to hear that others have been able to detect a positive difference:)

realysm42
05-03-2012, 22:22
I hear you.

I come from a place of ignorance in that I know very little about the odd world of hi-fi, so I'm happy to keep an open mind and tinker with things. There's a lot I would have turned my nose up at but through asking people here about stuff I thought why not give it a shot and so far not been disappointed.

I will block every other redundant input on my system based on my findings :)

Macca
05-03-2012, 23:49
I bought a bundle of these from eBay and use them on all my non-connected sockets. If anyone has a source for XLR ones, do let me know.

Okay I am intrigued -are they expensive? If not I might give it a go. Never heard of this before.

MartinT
06-03-2012, 06:57
These are the kind, Martin. Not expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noise-Stopper-Gold-Plated-Copper-RCA-Plug-Caps-20-PCs-/270915962165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13d98535

Macca
06-03-2012, 09:11
19 bucks delivered - okay that's not expensive, I have ordered a batch, thanks for the linky Martin.

DaveK
06-03-2012, 09:52
I block them all - SACD player, DAC, preamp, power amp etc. I still have a few spare.

Martin,
Can I ask your opinion. If you can hear a difference that's good enough for me to give them a try. I've seen some advertised as 'short circuit' types in that they have a (removable) centre pin to connect outer and inner contacts. My natural reaction is not to short out the inner and outer contacts but can I ask what your opinion is on this?
TIA,
Dave.

MartinT
06-03-2012, 10:14
Dave, I use the non-shorting ones. The improvement is a subtle one so don't go expecting night/day differences. However, all those subtle improvements do add up.

DaveK
06-03-2012, 12:13
Dave, I use the non-shorting ones. The improvement is a subtle one so don't go expecting night/day differences. However, all those subtle improvements do add up.

Thanks Martin. As Mr. Tesco keeps telling us, "Every little helps." and it don't break the bank if I don't notice any benefits - worth a punt :) .
Dave.

Mike
06-03-2012, 14:35
I prefer these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-BRASS-GOLD-PLATED-Audiophile-RCA-SHIELDING-CAPS-/251003125254?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3a70f3be06

I've used them for years, the centre pin unscrews so you can use them to short inputs with the pin in place, or remove it to cover outputs.

DaveK
06-03-2012, 15:51
I prefer these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-BRASS-GOLD-PLATED-Audiophile-RCA-SHIELDING-CAPS-/251003125254?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3a70f3be06

I've used them for years, the centre pin unscrews so you can use them to short inputs with the pin in place, or remove it to cover outputs.

Good Afternoon (almost) stranger ;) ,
By a remarkable coincidence those are exactly the items I've bought - not because I thought that they were any better but just because I thought that they were more versatile. Thanks to you I now know to short out the inputs and just cover the outputs - many thanks for that :)

Marco
06-03-2012, 19:31
I use these Cardas ones to good effect, which look rather less blingy:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7539/cardasrcacsp350.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/cardasrcacsp350.gif/)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300661812664?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

You can also buy them in quantities of 4 and 6 for less :)

Marco.

P.S Hope you're keeping it together, Mikey... Good to see you here, dude! :cool:

DaveK
06-03-2012, 19:53
Why pay the extra or worry about the bling (or the name :) ) when the things sit behind the kit, usually with a wall behind them, and are totally out of sight in use?

Marco
06-03-2012, 20:03
You're quite right of course, Dave. I just have an aversion to anything that's gold, except of course the real stuff! ;)

Marco.

DaveK
06-03-2012, 20:29
You're quite right of course, Dave. I just have an aversion to anything that's gold, except of course the real stuff! ;)

Marco.

But Marco, oh ye of little faith, it is the real stuff!! ;) - the Chinese seller says so, so how could it be otherwise :scratch: ;) - it's just that there's not enough to cover a gnat's cojones in a very big box of them :lol:
Dave

realysm42
06-03-2012, 20:34
I use these Cardas ones to good effect, which look rather less blingy:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7539/cardasrcacsp350.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/cardasrcacsp350.gif/)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300661812664?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

You can also buy them in quantities of 4 and 6 for less :)

Marco.

P.S Hope you're keeping it together, Mikey... Good to see you here, dude! :cool:

I got the non signature, non shorting version of these, the finish was pants, so will be sending i tback to the shop, who've got a 30 day money back guarantee.

realysm42
08-03-2012, 23:33
Just took delivery of some gold Telos caps to replace my dodgy ones, although I got a pack of 10 (instead of the 12) I'd say the extra teflon in them helps a tad; I'm getting another pack to cover evrything :)

realysm42
15-03-2012, 21:02
Second pack's arrived today, everything's covered (amp and dac), I've got a big smile on my face right now :D

The original vendor has fucked me off though, they tried to tell me my Cardas caps should look like they do as all of their stock is that way; I told them none of their stock should look that way, according to what they've advertised on their website (with photos) so I contacted Cardas and put the question to them, they said no, it shouldn't look like the product I've received.

ADVICE TO VENDORS, IF YOU'VE GOT A CUSTOMER THAT'S TRYING TO MAKE A POINT, TRY SPEAKING TO YOUR SUPPLIER INSTEAD OF STICKING YOUR HEAD IN THE GROUND AND TELLING THE CUSTOMER THEY'RE WRONG!

I've not received a reply from this yet, I'll hold fire until then to see how they react.

realysm42
16-03-2012, 12:43
Right I don't know if I'm just ranting to myself here, but the vendor has asked me to remind them to do the refund when the person "who handles them" is back in the office and completely disregarded what I'd sent them, Hi-fi cables I won't be using you again.

MartinT
16-03-2012, 12:56
Never mind, Martin. Do the noise stoppers do it for you? I must say I'm quite pleased having used them liberally around my system.

realysm42
16-03-2012, 12:59
Actually yes they do, as I say I swapped the Cardas ones for Telos (which have Teflon in them as well) and I'm sure they're better. I actually took you advice Martin and have covered everything, I had a few left over so even covered some outputs lol.

Cleaner and more presence is what I've detected. I'll actually take them off in a couple of weeks and see what happens, right now I'm betting I'll want them back on :)

Macca
16-03-2012, 13:20
Mine arrived today but will have to wait til I get home before I can try them out. Amazing what you can buy for a handful of magic beans these days...*

*except in Sheffield

MartinT
16-03-2012, 13:31
Three Martins happy :)

realysm42
20-03-2012, 09:45
Just in case anyone's read what I wrote about Hi fi cables; I received a call from someone there today to apologise and let me know that a refund has been given as well. They said the person that gave me hassle was pretty new there.

DaveK
20-03-2012, 10:34
Just in case anyone's read what I wrote about Hi fi cables; I received a call from someone there today to apologise and let me know that a refund has been given as well. They said the person that gave me hassle was pretty new there.

Forum power??

realysm42
20-03-2012, 11:24
I can't say for sure; I think the guy that rung me today must have seen the email chain and thought "Christ?!".

I'll try to be objective (which is hard as the customer) but the person I originally dealt with had a flippant attitude (I have a customer services background so know how to deal with issues) and whilst new, could probably have handled it better.

Either way they've apologised and refunded me (without me having to remind them lol) and accepted the product is faulty, so credit given where it's due.

sq225917
20-03-2012, 12:38
In Sheffield we use amps and sources designed with reed relays on all the inputs so that they are all shorted to gnd when not selected, no need for band aids. ;-)

realysm42
20-03-2012, 14:16
Why would that be something exclusive to the area of Sheffield?

DaveK
20-03-2012, 14:58
Why would that be something exclusive to the area of Sheffield?

They like to make it as idiot proof as possible for us! :lol: :lol:

realysm42
20-03-2012, 16:35
Lol :D

Chops
13-04-2012, 11:50
These are the kind, Martin. Not expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noise-Stopper-Gold-Plated-Copper-RCA-Plug-Caps-20-PCs-/270915962165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13d98535

This discussion spurred me onto place an order for some of these. Awaiting delivery.

In the meantime, I thought I would try something a little bit more 'Blue Peter' ;) I've got some Stillpoints ERS Fabric (http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillpoints/ers_specs.html, http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/stillpoints_ers_e.html) (http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/stillpoints_ers_e.html) lying about so with that, some electrical tape, a pair of scissors and a little of my time, I covered all naked RCA and XLR sockets on my DAC, pre and power amps with the stuff. Note, I already had two pairs of RA Shorties on on my pre amp.

And the result. Well, you know and think it helped just a little. A bit more sparkle (emphasis?) in the treble and a little more definition (more solidity) in the bass.

Looking forward to getting the caps. Should be a neater solution, although I suppose who looks at the back of my rack?

Chris

realysm42
13-04-2012, 12:03
Let us know how you get on with them; I've got the whole back of my amp and dac covered with them now and wouldn't think of removing them :)

Macca
13-04-2012, 12:30
I've used them on the spare inputs of my pre-amp but I'd be lying if I said I could hear a difference. Does look quite funky though.

Chops
13-04-2012, 13:12
Maybe not the thread to mention it, but the caps I've ordered via ebay are a supplier the Far East.

My understanding is that they won't incur duty/excise (and therefore addition delay) because they're less than about £20. Is that correct?

I would have ordered a few more sets (especially the XLR caps) but that would have blown the purchase price threshold with consequential costs and delays.

Chris

MartinT
13-04-2012, 13:20
The last time I checked £17 was the threshold, but it's lucky dip as to whether they charge you or not.

Macca
13-04-2012, 13:32
mine were from Taiwan but there was no duty

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2012, 16:44
The last time I checked £17 was the threshold, but it's lucky dip as to whether they charge you or not.
Last time I got charged, which was less than a month ago it was £15 :rolleyes:

MartinT
13-04-2012, 17:11
From the horse's mouth:

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty and Import VAT on top of the purchase price if the goods are above a certain value - though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty payable is £9 or less.

So it really is pot luck unless you buy a single low priced disc.

Chops
13-04-2012, 17:16
Thanks all.

Did a check using http://www.dutycalculator.com (http://www.dutycalculator.com/).

On a positive note : "The duty and VAT results are nil because the total value of the products is less than £15.00":thumbsup:

And on the flip side: "Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee":rolleyes:

I've bought stuff from abroad before but much higher value and just took the hit. I'll wait and see. If its seamless and the product is good, I'll put a few more small orders in and take the hit on P&P. Barmy :mental:

Chris

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2012, 17:16
Ah, different kettle of fish innit :D VAT is chargable on anything over £15 (as printed on some CDs I imported from USA - which I had to pay VAT on :() - must get this right :doh: Customs duty, at least on the CDs that I imported from USA comes in at about £150.

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2012, 17:18
Chris, you are far more likely to get away with zero charges if you import stuff from the far east :) They really seem to be on the ball with stuff from USA & Canada unfortunately :rolleyes:

MartinT
13-04-2012, 17:20
Yup, I've noticed that disparity too.

Chops
13-04-2012, 17:28
Chris, you are far more likely to get away with zero charges if you import stuff from the far east :) They really seem to be on the ball with stuff from USA & Canada unfortunately :rolleyes:

My previous imports were from USA, but a few years ago. A pre-amp (a very nice Sonic Euphoria PLC, since moved on) and some more modestly priced s/h Linn Aktiv cards. Both incurred a variety of charges, which reflects your comments. I remember the handling fees being a bit steep:steam:

Chris

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2012, 17:36
I imported a load of CDs as previously mentioned. Each pack was just over the VAT limit so on the 5 different shipments I had to pay approximately £15 in VAT, which isn't too bad :)

It was the £8 handling fee from Royal mail for EACH package that frankly took the p*ss :steam: It did kind of get my goat as all the packages where rubber banded together, so as I received only the one letter informing me of these packages I was severely p*ssed off at the RM charges :steam:

Robbing b'stards :rolleyes:

Chops
13-04-2012, 17:59
Could someone confirm whether these caps (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noise-Stopper-Gold-Plated-Female-XLR-Plug-Cap-x2-pcs-/300648296703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460008f0ff) can be used to cover XLR outputs?

The description states "Cover all the unused XLR inputs in your system ..." and "This Noise-Stopper caps are grounding plugs ...".

Sorry, bit ignorant of XLR stuff. Probably no SQ value but will look nicer than electrical tape.;)

Thanks...Chris

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2012, 18:05
Inputs only for male chassis sockets by the look of them ;)

Nice find by the way!

Chops
13-04-2012, 18:17
Thanks Mark. Looks like the tape will stay. At least I can use the male plugs for the inputs on the DAC, pre and power amps.

T'was MartinT what pointed us in their direction (earlier in this thread). They look remarkably like the Telos Audio Design caps and they just happen to be based in Taiwan as well. They sell a variety of caps ([/URL]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Audio-Lab/Noise-Stopper-Caps-/_i.html?_fsub=433223219&_lns=1&_sid=314713499&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Audio-Lab/Noise-Stopper-Caps-/_i.html?_fsub=433223219&_lns=1&_sid=314713499&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322)). These are made of "brass copper" whereas Telos quote copper. Not sure whether it would make a difference.

Chris

[URL="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Audio-Lab/Noise-Stopper-Caps-/_i.html?_fsub=433223219&_lns=1&_sid=314713499&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322"]

realysm42
13-04-2012, 18:24
They're for the male parts of the stereo/dac/whatever, so they'll work on that part of it.

Chops
13-04-2012, 18:32
They're for the male parts of the stereo/dac/whatever, so they'll work on that part of it.

Sorry Martin. Just to be clear, my input sockets all seem to be female therefore requiring male plugs.

Chris

MartinT
13-04-2012, 19:42
Confirmed, XLR outputs are male, inputs are female.

Griffy
21-04-2012, 16:06
I fancy trying these, but need 20 of the little buggers!

Chops
21-04-2012, 19:55
Well, I've placed 3 separate orders now for one lot (20 caps) of RCA caps and two lots of XLRs (2 caps each) at just a bit over £10 per order including carriage. Hope this will avoid any issues with import as mentioned above. Still waiting for the first order to arrive but I'll post some impressions when they arrive.

Chris

Griffy
09-05-2012, 18:16
Got mine today, 20 of them from Taiwan. No import duties or hassles, nice and cheap!

Chops
10-05-2012, 20:12
Got mine today, 20 of them from Taiwan. No import duties or hassles, nice and cheap!

Got mine last week plus 2 pairs of XLRs. Just got round to a short comparison. The QBD76 DAC has 2 AES balanced XLR inputs, a spare BNC SPDIF input and a BNC word clock input. You can see a pic of all the sockets here http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/files/QBD%2076%20manual.pdf if you're interested. Anyways, I capped the lot using cheap BNC to RCA converters from Maplins. I also capped all spare RCA inputs on the EAR 868 pre-amp and the XLR inputs.

I didn't have too much time to see what the differences were so I've only tried with and without on the DAC. Result was a small but clear lowering of the good 'ol noise floor. The guitar work on the left channel of Nick Drake's Three Hours (from Five Leaves Left) sounded more detailed with more texture and a possibly a little more prominent with the caps. Bass was slightly more recessed in the balance. Didn't detect any other changes particularly.

For what they cost, I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Don't expect night and day changes. And they keep the dust off.

Off to check out improvements to pre-amp.

Chris

Reid Malenfant
10-05-2012, 22:06
No idea why but this thread just triggered either the most insane or sane idea I have ever come up with :eyebrows:

I just don't know why it never occured to me previously :doh:

Mark is going to find out how much blue "fridge" paint he has left & if it's still usable :D

Chops
10-05-2012, 22:16
Mark is going to find out how much blue "fridge" paint he has left & if it's still usable :D

:scratch:

Paint?

Reid Malenfant
10-05-2012, 22:18
:scratch:

Paint?
:lol: Don't worry, this is something peculiar to my rack that holds the equipment ;)

DaveK
10-05-2012, 22:22
+ 1 wot he ^ said :scratch: :scratch:
Dave.

Reid Malenfant
10-05-2012, 22:28
Ok, briefly, I wonder why I didn't turn my rack into a Faraday Cage when I built it :doh:

We are on about screening & reducing noise after all... So maybe I have enough paint left over to repaint it after I cover the whole thing in aluminium foil :eyebrows:

MartinT
11-05-2012, 05:43
Ah, glad about that. I thought you were going to paint your noise stoppers blue :lol:

Chops
11-05-2012, 08:35
Very pleased with the caps that I bought. :D

Just placed an order for another pair of XLRs, which will give me a full complement.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300659829334?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Chris

Chops
11-05-2012, 08:38
Ok, briefly, I wonder why I didn't turn my rack into a Faraday Cage when I built it :doh:

We are on about screening & reducing noise after all... So maybe I have enough paint left over to repaint it after I cover the whole thing in aluminium foil :eyebrows:

Mark, what about some nice wallpaper instead of messing about with Al foil and paint? You like snowflake? :lol: http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/

Chris

Reid Malenfant
11-05-2012, 17:47
Mark, what about some nice wallpaper instead of messing about with Al foil and paint? You like snowflake? :lol: http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/

Chris
Damn I don't like the previous priced stuff @ £500 a square meter :eek:

At Ferrus Power they made a EMC/RFI test room by literally covering the walls with aluminium foil. It's all you need, not some fancy pants stuff.

Good for up to a couple of hundred MHz at the very least, a damn sight cheaper to I might add :lol:

Chops
14-05-2012, 07:52
For what they cost, I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Don't expect night and day changes. And they keep the dust off.

Off to check out improvements to pre-amp.

Similar results from the EAR 868 pre-amp. It has one pair of XLR inputs and a bunch of RCAs. Just a little more detail and texture. On that guitar work of the Nick Drake track, a range of harmonics are more apparent.

Chris