PDA

View Full Version : Our Kid: "Artofsound's excellent."

joethelion
26-02-2012, 17:18
Hi All :-)

Skip this if you don't have time to stop and get off a while. It's merely contemporary commentary and insight worthy of noting for posterity, in times of great change and uncertainty.

I've not researched HiFi for 30+ years. My lounge system is 30+ years old. I've not had HiFi in my lounge for 20+ years. I recently took it off the shelf and re-instated it ... :-)

Our Kid recommended AOS in my 'quest for the best'. I'm indebted ... :-)

He's long been a true 'High End' devotee. I guess he's invested several tens of thousands, total, over decades, yet he can't be very wealthy. Such sacrifice and magnitude of commitment has long puzzled me. He recently "got rid", without apparent need. I was concerned in these times of austerity.

From recollection, in his idiom as best I can represent it; this is what he had to say:

"Times have changed, big time ... in many ways ... and not just economic.

Keep experimenting ... I wish I'd had the time. No-one can really advise you best, now, around here. Try online, but most's like football chat-rooms.

Artofsound's excellent. You'll find great stuff there, at the right money ... so much better than flea-pay sites. There are a wealth of decent, expert contributors ... people who really know what they're on about ... people who like you, also play/write/produce ... went to good schools and do joined-up stuff ... who take pride in what they have to say ... and in how they say it. There's good trawling and reading, gathered over a long time, from very long-standing members, so you benefit from their accumulated experience and evolving views, as the industry and life changes. Join all the vintage sites. Most of the rest is just so dumbed ...

I got rid of the top end Naim and Mission, and boxed the Linn. Resale only holds up really well on precision-engineered turntables, vintage amps, and proper British speakers ... stuff with serviceable components and available spares ... stuff mainly for pro collectors and true enthusiasts. People are beginning to hoard now ... there'll be no new 'Vintage'.

Vinyl will endure and as good rare recordings/pressings become ever-scarcer, it will become more highly prized. Vinyl's still the best music experience on a good system, at least for my tastes. Most great back catalogue is vinyl, produced for vinyl on marvellous analogue gear by brilliant Producers and great Engineers, in acoustic hall studios; pressed on precision plant, at a time when mostly 'The Executive' and 'Management' did its thing quite wisely, with far greater regard for the long-haul. Most will not be re-mastered and digitised, at least not by Third Millenium Corporates.

The current mob would be doomed as Do-do's if not for their forebears' great foresight and commitment. They're Don't-don'ts. It seems they'd rather have the likes of us extradited for downloading tonight what we bought as kids, unless we could show a Judge a bona fide receipt from 1970. Even then, some smart-ass no-win/no-fee merchant would contrive what we then bought was merely a license to play only once. As if any of these people are poor ...

Technology's advanced so much, I now also want to be content with what I see, perhaps more so, than with what I hear. What we hear now is so very good, anywhichway, generally. When you've also had some of the best and have really known what that's like, somewhat lesser, now, doesn't seem to matter so much. We don't appreciate when we're younger, that both our hearing and our mind can be more readily satisfied in time. By the time most can afford/justify having anything like the best ... sadly, they're past their best listening. HiFi seems increasingly age-ist; punitively so.

I replaced it with Quad, which sits inconspiculously in the corner, doing all I want, well enough. It's discreet and quick, with a nice remote. It demands nothing and will hold up fairly well.

Usually, by the time the Naim warmed up, it was time for bed. Naim needs to be kept powered, or it sucks ... literally ... it's so hungry; it often tripped a dedicated ring on powering-up. It sounded crap for the first 1-2 hours ... then utterly divine. Best Naim is still best IMO, but I don't like to keep stuff on standby.

It all adds up ... TV, HiFi, PC, Lighting, H&V. It can't be good we're so wasteful ... and energy companies just take the mickey now, as a matter of course IMO. It's amazing how all these companies and institutions have suddenly become so apologetic. People have had enough. Taking the mickey has become endemic in our culture and those that whinge don't seem to understand people are the problem, not business, per se. Apple's done so fabulously well because they have classy, quality, competent, useful stuff. Apple Lossless is as good as the best digital, providing you can access the raw data. The differences all-round are so marginal now; I can't be bothered with my LP and CD collection any more. I can get all I'll ever want on a fifty quid thumb drive.

The worst with High End, these days, is if you really want better and different, the price just doubles at every stage ... you need Bankers' bonuses. It's become evermore about prestige and status. It's no longer an honest technical, design and fair value sell to well-informed enthusiasts.

If it was, there'd be too few around to do that sell well enough, leastwise in these parts. I had to look pretty hard for decent demos accompanied by honest, expert advice. Too many think your money's for the taking, simply because you walk through the door, looking like a C2 with some plastic. Whilst that's true, like Weller, I still have integrity. They just never learned better. They were never shown better. Leadership all-round in our country is appallingly bad, top to bottom, and has been for 30+ years.

Few know anything of music, per se, in shop retail. Most stuff called HiFi, is actually what I call AV, now. Avoid most, unless they're Old Skool. At least they know what they're talking about. Usually, they've actually done their homework well and served their time. They seem to take real pride in what they do and actually understand you. Some can actually play something other than a mouse. My only interest in Surround now, is in better decoding to stereo. The Onkyo went too.

Don't get suckered by High End myth, nor by valve and Vintage, per se. Some of the old Jap SS amps are marvellous though; better than much prized British stuff, £/£ ... Pioneer, Technics and Rotel, in bright ally will be even more highly prized once everyone finally tires of black.

You'll do well to greatly improve on the setup you have £/£, on a budget. Try a Rega and stick with British speakers. Anything big and boxy, 70's, KEF-based ... will be good well off the floor ... and fine for your tastes. You're British 4/5 piece pop/rock ensemble; guitar and synths. You don't listen to 128 piece classic orchestral, or choral. If you want that, you'll still get great sound from your old Technics tuner. FM stereo will be broadcast for years."

Blimey, Our Kid ... Didn't know you cared :-)
jtl

RichB
07-03-2012, 21:09
all well said there, a lot of sense...

most importantly though is that much like our tastes in music, our tastes in equipment will change and evolve over time, sometimes we will even redisover old gear we had previosuly discounted in favour of the new and shiny (not necessarily better). For me, this is what AoS is all about, not fashion, brands, or showing off... although i do enjoy a good bit of hifi pron as much as the next man:eyebrows:

AoS is where folk will enjoy a good yarn about an old pair of speakers cheaply acquired as much as peering under the bonnet of the latest shiny toys. Long may it continue.

joethelion
13-01-2015, 14:07
I'm so glad I wrote this up and posted my baby Brother's thoughts for all to see.

It serves as a small memorial to a big man.

Jon died 21Aug2014, only 51.

He battled occupational lung cancer most courageously, whilst sacrificing greatly for vital research in his final years.

:)

Ali Tait
13-01-2015, 14:30
Sorry to hear that. I know what it is to lose a brother.

struth
13-01-2015, 15:19
condolences. and a nice epitaph...enjoyed the thoughts

Andrei
16-01-2015, 01:26
Nice post jtl. I hope his gear finds a good home.

Spectral Morn
16-01-2015, 07:17
I'm so glad I wrote this up and posted my baby Brother's thoughts for all to see.

He battled occupational lung cancer most courageously, whilst sacrificing greatly for vital research in his final years.

I am very sorry to read that, tough, sad times.

Regards and best wishes

Neil

anthonyTD
16-01-2015, 09:09
:(

The Barbarian
16-01-2015, 14:38
Big Man! jeez my mate who passed away used to call me that, now a lad at work calls me the same, which was spooky

welcome jtl

Floyddroid
21-01-2015, 06:15
As said above, a fine epitaph and a very interesting take on the values of someone with very similar views to myself. I am very sad to hear that your brother is no longer with us. I lost my mum to lung cancer last June so i know the hole that it leaves in peoples lives. I intend to read your letter again to remind me exactly what it is i am searching for. I hope you stay around here and contribute to AOS. It's a great place in the aether.

Big Man! jeez my mate who passed away used to call me that, now a lad at work calls me the same, which was spooky

welcome jtl

Floyddroid
21-01-2015, 06:21
BTW, being a prog head i can firmly confirm your late brothers views with regards to vintage British box speakers. every time i hear a classic Prog album on a pair i have to grin!:)

Mrmb
11-03-2015, 02:42
Very interesting and insightful commentary....thanks!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Although obviously not the same, I can certainly relate. My sis left us at 56, following elective hip replacement surgery.

As a neophyte member from the U.S., I'm enjoying this site immensely. It is a wealth of information!

Gazjam
11-03-2015, 03:49
Good write up fella,

A warm genuine read and agree with a lot of what you say.
Sorry about your Brother, life really is too short.

Your in good company here at AOS, been here a while and I can say that apart from being a treasure trove of information it genuinely is a community.

Get stuck in: it's a blast. :)