PDA

View Full Version : Cover me in Jam and call me Susan!

rusty bearing
22-02-2012, 23:02
Well I said something like that last Sunday when I sold an item on 'an auction site'.
The item? A Linn K9 MM cart that I've had and only used as spare so very low hours, offered it to someone on here for £12 posted as they were asking for a cheap MM for their spare TT, but never heard 'owt so hence to auction.
I wasn't too unhappy when someone bid £30 for it but when it sold for £60:rolleyes: my flabber was totally gasted I can tell you!

Did I just strike lucky or has anyone else watched in amazement as the price went up an up?

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2012, 23:18
Well Susan,
That seems like a pretty good deal for you. I have the packaging for a K9 (I never owned one but another cartridge I once bought in the late '80's came packed in it) & it still has the price sticker on it. Guess what it says? Yup - £60!

Here, have a tissue.

chris@panteg
23-02-2012, 08:55
Take the money and run lol

rusty bearing
23-02-2012, 08:58
I will, as soon as I've cleaned down with the kindly proffered tissue :)

chris@panteg
23-02-2012, 09:22
I will, as soon as I've cleaned down with the kindly proffered tissue :)

:lol:

Don't forget though that a K9 in an Ekos will outperform a Koetsu in just about any other arm :eyebrows: so you may regret this sale :rolleyes:

Haselsh1
23-02-2012, 10:35
Hartley's OK...? I'll get the blackcurrant variety if that's OK...?

With toast...?

jostber
23-02-2012, 12:05
Smack my... http://www.chilliworld.com/SP6.asp?p_id=43

Marco
23-02-2012, 13:34
I think I'll buy some of that for a mate - looks like a real botty-burner! :eyebrows:

Marco.

freefallrob
23-02-2012, 13:37
Oh i've got a K9 somewhere, off to the well known auction site!;-)

rusty bearing
23-02-2012, 14:04
:lol:

Don't forget though that a K9 in an Ekos will outperform a Koetsu in just about any other arm :eyebrows: so you may regret this sale :rolleyes:

Nah :lol:, I'll just save the pennies and console myself with a nice arm and MC cart for a GL75 thats about to undergo a refurb.
Suggestions wil be sought from the good folks here.............:)

Marco
23-02-2012, 14:17
It's astonishing what people will pay for a 'glorified' Audio Technica, simply because of the lure of the Linn badge and the bullshite which went with it, in order to brainwash people into believing that a K9 was anything other than grossly overpriced shite! :mental:

The only 'K9' worth owing is the one that was featured in Dr Who!!

Still, it's always rather fun lightening the wallets of these blinkered idiots :D

Marco.

Ali Tait
23-02-2012, 17:50
Almost looks like a cartridge. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-3-DR-DOCTOR-K9-ACTION-FIGURE-/270914266769?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionF igures_JN&hash=item3f13bfa691

Marco
23-02-2012, 17:57
Hehehe... I wonder how much the real one is worth?!?? :eek:

Marco.

technobear
04-03-2012, 17:26
I've been trying to understand ebay but I think I may give up. I see stuff go for crazy prices the whole time - especially as I know how old some of it is and remember what it cost new.

A case in point, a Rega Planar 3 in nice condition with an RB300 and I forget the cart but a good one. At auction it went somewhere north of £200.

At the exact same time there was an equally nice identically specced Planar 3 on buy-it-now for £165. It was up for 9 days and ended unsold.

Bizarre!

Perhaps people who watch auctions don't watch BIN's and vice versa?

My best bargain so far is an Ariston Excel turntable which obviously wasn't fitted with the standard Ortofon cart and the seller wasn't sure what it was or about the condition of the stylus. Turns out it was an AT110E and the stylus is just fine, tracks beautifully and sounds great. It was local and cost me £7 :D

DSJR
04-03-2012, 20:00
I find I have two K9's, both sadly with "yellow" styli. One has all but collapsed (normal for early K9's and mk1 K18's) but the other is serviceable.

What does it sound like (for those that "weren't there" at the time ;))? Well, like an AT95E with a better diamond - so less noise and clearer treble, which is really what it is underneath. It doesn't have the PC_OCC wires of the AT110E but it's real secret ISN'T the metal mount - more later - but the rather splendid "Vital" diamond fitted..

Back in the day, I remember thinking I preferred the K5 plastic mount/body to the metal K9 one, using the same K9 stylus. The Linn guys laughed at me, but guess what? Some years later, the K9 became a K5 body with a K9 stylus and the price went up to around £120 - the Goldring made? replacement was around £200 from the off.......