PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Cave or not

Rare Bird
21-02-2012, 23:30
How many people actually have there own caves for the sytem & how many use the main living room

Reason i ask is the brainwaves some people have i wouldnt put on show in the greenhouse never mind the living room? :lol:

Marco
21-02-2012, 23:35
Lol... Man cave here, but Del often pops in, too, to listen to music. No way would we have room in the lounge for my system, along with all our furniture and antiques!

Marco.

Jac Hawk
21-02-2012, 23:48
seen as am on my todd at the moment my whole house is my man cave:eyebrows:

Dingdong
21-02-2012, 23:51
seen as am on my todd at the moment my whole house is my man cave:eyebrows:

+1

Marco
21-02-2012, 23:53
Yo, guys, party at Mark's and Mikey's! :mex: :glug: :glug: :drunk: :partytime:

Marco.

RichB
21-02-2012, 23:58
Both... the shared space living room, OH watches Eastenders with my main system for sounds whilst I sulk in the man cave (aka Huffy Room) with my ancient second system and collection of basses for company! All that money spent on hifi and it gets used for bloody soaps...i should coco!

Jac Hawk
22-02-2012, 00:00
and to top it off my neighbour is a sweet old lady who when she bakes always makes me something and leaves it on my kitchen table, ohh and she's deaf as a post :D life doesn't get much better :eyebrows:

Marco
22-02-2012, 00:01
You know what she's after, don't you? ;)

Marco.

Jac Hawk
22-02-2012, 00:05
You know what she's after, don't you? ;)

Marco.

not sure what you're hinting at Marco:eyebrows: you sick ba@Łard:ner:

Marco
22-02-2012, 00:06
:lolsign: :lol:

Watch out if she invites you over to hear her Gracie Fields records!

Marco.

Jac Hawk
22-02-2012, 00:10
seriously though as neighbours go she's a diamond, she watches the place when i'm away, looks out for the endless stream of delivery men dropping off even more crap from ebay for me, and as i said she's deaf as a post without her hearing aid, so i can have the windows rattling at 1am and it doesn't bother her:)

Jac Hawk
22-02-2012, 00:13
:lolsign: :lol:

Watch out if she invites you over to hear her Gracie Fields records!

Marco.

that's someone's grandma you've turned into some sex starved nymphet mate :lol::lol:

MartinT
22-02-2012, 07:22
My sitting room is my man cave, dedicated to music.

bobbasrah
22-02-2012, 07:34
How many people actually have there own caves for the sytem & how many use the main living room

Reason i ask is the brainwaves some people have i wouldnt put on show in the greenhouse never mind the living room? :lol:

Main living room for dedicated listening when circumstances permit, otherwise it reverts to media centre for group enjoyment.
Retreat to next door headphone/desk system is available as and when desired, so I guess that would be the cave....

jandl100
22-02-2012, 07:34
Man cave, here! :carrot:

Thing Fish
22-02-2012, 08:21
My whole house is my man cave as I haven't yet met a woman I love enough to give her half my house.

Covenant
22-02-2012, 08:29
I have got a small room that is my man cave. Stupidly I put ceramic tiles on the floor which don't improve things acoustically. But I like to get in there and stick my headphones on whilst Coronation Street or Emmy is on in the living room.

Beobloke
22-02-2012, 08:39
I have a dedicated listening room.

Mind you, there is also a system in the lounge.

And another in the dining room....

:D

jaym481
22-02-2012, 09:49
My whole house is my man cave as I haven't yet met a woman I love enough to give her half my house.

There's part of your problem: you think she'll only get half.

Lee Henley
22-02-2012, 11:23
I dont have a man cave myself I use the front room in our house which doubles up as a dining / sitting room

northwest
22-02-2012, 13:10
I have the top floor, the attic in most houses but my attic isn't that It is actually the top floor. Sounds grand but it is a small room with very uneven layout, acoustically great.
Perfect for my ESL 57's No other speaker has sounded so good in this room.

Haselsh1
22-02-2012, 13:16
It's definitely got to be a dedicated hi-fi room but I had to give mine up just before Christmas when the sprog decided yet again that she'd be better off at home. I don't know what the hell her boyfriend is up to but he needs to grow up and accept some form of responsibilty very soon. It is way past time they got their own place (purely selfish you understand...!!!)

Bluedroog
22-02-2012, 13:20
Living in London zone 2 and not being a banker my home is a pitiful size, I share a loft space studio conversion with my other half - it is my cave though, luckily doubles up a place to live too.

Haselsh1
22-02-2012, 13:26
Living in London zone 2 and not being a banker my home is a pitiful size, I share a loft space studio conversion with my other half - it is my cave though, luckily doubles up a place to live too.

I honestly do feel for you. I know what it is like from years ago. I'm not sure which I prefer; the solitude of being in the middle of nowhere or the hustle of a city.

Tarzan
22-02-2012, 13:34
Man cave in da house!:)

Joe
22-02-2012, 13:35
One system in our shared sitting room, another in the room at the top of the house which doubles as an office. The top room gets very cold in winter though.

Marco
22-02-2012, 13:40
Just switch on the heating and allow the room to warm up before going up there, no?

Marco.

Joe
22-02-2012, 13:43
Just switch on the heating and allow the room to warm up before going up there, no?

Marco.

No. It's very draughty in there, and the radiator's not very efficient. What I ought to do of course is move the valve amp upstairs, and warm my hands around its glowing tubes. Either that or invest in some double glazing.

Marco
22-02-2012, 13:44
Call me eccentric, but my money's on the latter option being more effective. Fitting a better radiator, too, might also be fun! ;)

Marco.

freefallrob
22-02-2012, 13:59
At the moment it's our lounge (front room) unfortunately and we live in a semi-detached so big bass and high levels are not on.

In time we hope to have an extension, and that will include a man cave, oh yes.....

For instance most of the 'set up work' for Scalford is being done at my Dads place, he does have a man cave, level/mess (and lack of small children!) are no problem.

:)

northwest
22-02-2012, 16:32
I honestly do feel for you. I know what it is like from years ago. I'm not sure which I prefer; the solitude of being in the middle of nowhere or the hustle of a city.

There is no contest. Middle of nowhere wins every time. I am in the very (un) fortunate position of being in both at one time or another during he week and I can tell you which I prefer!

baron
22-02-2012, 17:06
I have a Man Cave,

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9275

and a dedicated room:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403

and a living room system, (see below)
but I'm very very lucky:)

Jonboy
22-02-2012, 18:50
I have a man cave which is a garage i built (with help) at the bottom of my garden, downstairs is my workshop and where keep my old engines and upstairs is my office come hifi room which is heated :D, i normally have my main system indoors but we are doing some work on the house at the moment so its stuffed in the office/cave.

I'm very lucky to have it and have done a lot of the building work myself keeping costs down and also swap skills with mates, i do a day or so for them with my digger and they come and spend a day or so laying bricks (better and faster than me) which is a good way of getting things done is this climate with no money changing hands ;)

Marco
22-02-2012, 18:56
There is no contest. Middle of nowhere wins every time. I am in the very (un) fortunate position of being in both at one time or another during he week and I can tell you which I prefer!

Well away from every annoying fucker is always best! :exactly:

Besides, I have an aversion to inhaling the fragrant tang of (sweaty) bods on tube trains! :nono:

Marco.

RichB
22-02-2012, 19:08

Just find a woman you hate and buy her a house, saves a lot of time and effort:lol:

Alex_UK
22-02-2012, 23:11
Main system in the (lilac) living room - though there is also a lesser system in the dining room. Oh, and two of the spare rooms. Then there's the system in the summerhouse. And the kitchen. And garage. And enough in the loft to put another system together in the ensuite but the wife drew the line there! ;)

Plans to build an extension, but wife would rather move, so who knows - but it would be great to have a dedicated music and movies room one day.

goraman
23-02-2012, 04:01
My man cave went away when Conner happened along,now the whole house is his! Nosheen and I are here just to clean up after him and cook.
Kids huh...

jandl100
23-02-2012, 06:03

Give me the solitude of being in the middle of nowhere, anytime! :thumbsup:

bobbasrah
23-02-2012, 06:13
My man cave went away when Conner happened along,now the whole house is his! Nosheen and I are here just to clean up after him and cook.
Kids huh...

As my grandfather said to my father when he was complaining about something I had done as a kid "The first 65 years are the worst...."
:D

WOStantonCS100
23-02-2012, 07:12
I used to have a dedicated listening room. In fact, we had the house built specifically with an extra room just for that purpose. However, my 2nd daughter and 3rd child ended that. It's still a mancave; but, it's my son's mancave, now, having been booted from his room by the little miss. Off to the living room went a down sized system and 4,000 LP's. :( Everyday that goes by, the garage (as a place to store vehicles) is looking less and less necessary. ;) The down side would be moving all that vinyl, again and the conversion cost. The plus side would be that it's a bigger space than the original mancave and the countless hours of enjoyment (even at 3 a.m.). :)

hoopsontoast
23-02-2012, 08:45
I have a man cave atm, but moving into my own house (just spit up with the gf from a joint house) so I will have my main system in the spare bedroom, and also, need to build up a new system for the living room which should be fun!

isuckedmandelsonslemons
23-02-2012, 17:54
Oh, I have three man caves.

1. Posh man cave which other people sometimes walk into. Houses main system which must look nice and all match for the missus.

2. Work man cave. I don't do much work so this doesn't get much use.

3. Training man cave. An elaborate gym with instruments of physical torture and an amp that goes up to 11. I find that loud music dulls the pain of pushing my creaking old body to the limits.

I could also call the kitchen my man cave as only me does any cooking and I don't think anyone else realises we have a dishwasher.

Marco
23-02-2012, 17:59
Ever think of trading her in for a better model, Harry? And I don't mean the dishwasher!!! ;)

Marco.

northwest
23-02-2012, 18:53
I don't think anyone else realises we have a dishwasher.

I know that feeling only too well. Even when the daughter person remembers she still only just manages to squeeze stuff at the front - which requires even more effort on my part to sort it out.
Could be worse and she could be out larging it up but as that's the only complaint I have I keep schtum!

isuckedmandelsonslemons
23-02-2012, 18:57
Ever think of trading her in for a better model, Harry? And I don't mean the dishwasher!!! ;)

Marco.

Marco, that woman is a saint and I doubt I'd get a better model. Now, a younger model I could cope with. Perhaps two 25-year-olds instead of a 50-year-old?

Ashmore
23-02-2012, 21:39
You'd be dead within a week ;)

WOStantonCS100
23-02-2012, 21:56
You'd be dead within a week ;)

:lol:

Wakefield Turntables
23-02-2012, 21:56
+1 for the mancave. Its got virtually every bit of kit I own in it apart from my Quad ESL57's which sit in another room.