PDA

View Full Version : "Tube Dampers for 12AX7/12AU7/EL84"

Audiocom AV
21-12-2008, 19:00
Hello All

I have been using sets of tube dampers for 12AX7/12AU7/EL84/6922, these are high mass rings that fit over the valve, 2 per tube. The results have been good and consistent, see here;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ies%26_fvi%3D1

Any other experiences with tube dampers?
I have previously used the Tubesox by Ensemble, another good product although they are considerably more costly. There are also a couple of sets of the higher mass SoniKLEER on their way to A/B against the standard version.

Best Wishes
Mark Bartlett

Mike
21-12-2008, 19:20
Hi Mark,

I'm currently using 'EAT Cool Dampers' on the small signal valves with good results, they also add a degree of screening. I use Pear valve coolers on the ECC83's in my phono stage with even better results with respect to screening, without these on the phono stage I can tell when I've got a mobile phone in my pocket if I get close!

Cheers...

jandl100
22-12-2008, 08:53
I wonder if I am suffering from early-onset hearing deficit?

I've tried tube dampers/rings several times over the (many) years - and could never hear any difference with them on. Those corrugated finny Pearl damper things might have kept operating temperature lower, I guess, so prolonging tube life ... ?

Any replies to this post, please speak up - it's me hearing, you know, it's not what it used to be in me younger days .... ;) Not that I could hear any differences then, either!

Audiocom AV
22-12-2008, 11:10
Hi Mark,

I'm currently using 'EAT Cool Dampers' on the small signal valves with good results, they also add a degree of screening. I use Pear valve coolers on the ECC83's in my phono stage with even better results with respect to screening, without these on the phono stage I can tell when I've got a mobile phone in my pocket if I get close!

Cheers...

Hi Mike

I had forgotten about the Pearl Coolers, and have not tried the EAT Cool Dampers, certainly more to experiment with.

Kind Regards
Mark

Mike
22-12-2008, 11:26
Personally I think the screening effect is more pronounced than the damping effect. Of course this may depend on several things, eg. how effective (or not) any equipment rack in use is at isolating vibration. And whether or not there are any screening requirements in the area the equipment is located.

Cheers...

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
22-12-2008, 11:54
Hi Mike

I would give these a try, have used them before and liked what they did. My last set went when I sold a Pre Power and forgot to remove them, big mistake. Will be investing in some more when I have the inclination to do so.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/index.htm (http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/index.htm)

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
22-12-2008, 16:34
Hi Guys

I must say that I like the Tube Rings that Pm Components/tube shop sell. http://www.tube-shop.com/uk/prod_tuberings.asp

Just ask for Steve Turner.

I previously used dampers by a company whos name I forgot ( I got them about 18 years ago). They were good but the Kevlar webbing inside the sleeve would stick to the body of the valve, so when you removed them you lost some of the Kevlar fabric. They both shielded and damped, as the body covered about half of a pre -amp tube (ecc 88, 83 etc ). Any one recall what these are. Black flexible sleeve ( tube) cut open so it can expand, and slide over the valve, with Kevlar webbing inside ?

Regards D S D L ---- Neil :)

jandl100
22-12-2008, 16:37
Everybody seems to imply that they make a worthwhle sonic improvement, but any description of same is lacking. Can someone give me a clue as to what I failed to hear?

Spectral Morn
22-12-2008, 16:48
Hi

IMHO I feel they give a little bit more focus to the sound. Its subtle most times but with some tubes the effect seems to be a little bit more obvious. Certainly with phono stages IMHE I feel that the noise floor is reduced a little bit. The Dampers that cover more of the tube are better at this as they both damp and shield. Some dampers also apparently ( ? ) act as a kind of chimney to take heat away. Or so I am led to believe, but have no experience with the Pearl dampers so I don't know if this is true or not. These ( design ) always looked very fiddly to me .

Keith of Purite Audio has a range from Allnic Audio that look very interesting. I think he's due to get them in soon.

http://puriteaudio.co.uk/ Keith's business.

http://www.allnicaudio.com/eng/products/list.htm?brandcode=003002000000 details of the Tube base dampers.

Regards D S D L ---- Neil :)

jandl100
22-12-2008, 19:05
I used the Pearl corrogatory rubbery things on eight 6550 tubes in my Lumley M120 monoblocks. Not cheap - and a total waste of money as far as I was concerned. :doh:

Have also used smaller rubber ring tube dampers on input valves - to the same devastating lack of effectiveness.

And those ceramic rings from Golden Dragon (?).

:scratch:

I must get my hearing aid looked at ... :)

Mike
22-12-2008, 20:53
I used the Pearl corrogatory rubbery things on eight 6550 tubes in my Lumley M120 monoblocks. Not cheap - and a total waste of money as far as I was concerned. :doh:

Have also used smaller rubber ring tube dampers on input valves - to the same devastating lack of effectiveness.

And those ceramic rings from Golden Dragon (?).

:scratch:

I must get my hearing aid looked at ... :)

I tried those too for a while on the KT88's. They went on to pastures new via fleabay. Didn't do anything really.

I don't think you need dampers if your rack does a good isolating job, I like them on my phono stage for the screening effect though. There's that much gain there that they seem to pick up RF very easily.

Ali Tait
22-12-2008, 21:22
Jerry I think these things would make a difference far more on things like a valve phono stage with it's huge step-up in amplification,where very low-level noise is a substantial consideration,rather than a power amp.May benefit on a valve pre though.YMMV.I've not tried them myself.Not felt the need.

Audiocom AV
22-12-2008, 21:48
Hi

I think the effectiveness of tube damping is going to vary from amp to amp and as rightly pointed out is likely to be more pronounced on a pre-amp or phono stage.

I have used various tube dampers on older Audio Research and Conrad Johnson pre-amps, I used an LS5 for a while which sounder far more focused, tighter bass, clearer mids to highs with Ensemble Tubesox on every valve.

I noticed how important they were on the LS5 when I removed them; they were promptly put back :)

Best Wishes
Mark Bartlett

The Grand Wazoo
23-12-2008, 01:10
I once had some Audioquest tube dampers made from Sorbothane.

I proceeded to discover that the melting point of sorbothane is below the envelope temperature of a GE 12BH7 !!

Big, big, big, mistake

Moral in plain English: keep such things away from the hot bits - even some of those little valves get really, really hot.

Repair bill received, lesson learnt!

jandl100
23-12-2008, 08:29
Hokey-Dokey .... I'm using a Pro-Ject Tube Box valve phono stage at the mo', perhaps I'll see if some damper things can be made to fit. Anyone with any loaners? ;)

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2009, 23:21
I just revisited this thread & while reading it remembered something I once read to illustrate that there's nothing new under the sun.

Apparently, years ago in the Forces, the signal guys used to put condoms on low level signal valves to cut down microphony.

True?

The Grand Wazoo
09-10-2011, 22:50
From The Grave

MartinT
10-10-2011, 06:26
I used tube dampers to great effect when I was running an EAR 834P valve phono stage many years ago. The aural effect was a little more clarity and insight throughout the frequency range.

John
10-10-2011, 06:31
On my SAC Glowmaster they seemed to help give bit more focus to the sound

Spectral Morn
10-10-2011, 07:22
I used tube dampers to great effect when I was running an EAR 834P valve phono stage many years ago. The aural effect was a little more clarity and insight throughout the frequency range.

I use them on all my valve gear on signal, regulator and power valves and the above is what I hear too.

Regards D S D L

camtwister
10-10-2011, 21:02
I've experimented with a set of four EAT Cool Dampers on the dual triodes of my Prologue Four power amp. I've rolled many a tube in this amp and my preference is to run without the dampers, after a trial of 12 months or thereabouts. I know this is an obtuse statement but I've convinced myself that there is a little more air when not using them, and my system needs this, or it can sound closed in.

Presently, I use 5751 valves in the line stages of my two Croft Micro 25s. The effect of Cool Dampers on these is less subtle and I prefer to run with them. They contribute positively and reduce microphonics.

Marco
10-10-2011, 21:22
As per usual, there is no universally 'correct' answer here... Tube dampers *can* work, on the right tubes, with the right equipment, and in the right system. So suck it and see :)

I've tried them on numerous occasions, and whilst often initially perceiving a sonic improvement, I normally end up removing them fairly quickly, usually after wondering why I've not been listening to music as much since fitting them....

The key lies in their description: tube dampers. Dampen things too much, and you can over-egg the pudding, and also 'dampen' the music - so be careful!

Marco.

DSJR
11-10-2011, 08:37
Presently, I use 5751 valves in the line stages of my two Croft Micro 25s. The effect of Cool Dampers on these is less subtle and I prefer to run with them. They contribute positively and reduce microphonics.

I think that might just be the last link in the Micro 25 chain :) Where's hifi dave when you need him. He MUST have a set of coolers-dampers-whatever somewhere in his drawers :eyebrows: