PDA

View Full Version : Attaching 10 small speakers on 1 long line

nicholasbrittain
19-02-2012, 02:02
Hey all!

So, I'm working on a piece, and I bought a bunch of 1.5" 8 ohm speakers (don't know the wattage) to wire in a line as if coming out of 1 channel. I've been reading a good bit about keeping ohms in check but the articles are always about car stereos or something with a different idea in mind.

~Here are the speakers~ (http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18577)

Basically, I'd like to place one of these small speakers on the back of everyone's chairs in a 30 person audience. Ideally, I'd like to do it with 10 speakers in a line coming from one mono channel, which would connect to some sort of amplifier.

I don't know if this is even possible without a special 10+ channel amplifier, but I wish I could have my Motu 828 running into a normal home stereo amplifier with RCA outs.

I've seen large installations with small speakers all over the cieling of an art gallery, so I know it's possible. I just wonder if I can do it on a students budget and average equipment. I know they won't sound great, but I'm going for a glitchy sound anyway.

Can anyone give me any advice or instructions on how I might go about accomplishing this?

Thanks to any, and all in advance for the help!

The Grand Wazoo
19-02-2012, 02:10
Hi Nicholas,
I'm afraid there's a little housekeeping for you to attend to before we all get stuck into helping you out with your question.

Please would you do as you were requested in your email from AoS & start a new thread in the Welcome section (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) in order to introduce yourself to the community? If you tell us a little about yourself, your system & the music you like, you'll be sure of a warm welcome. This is a prerequisite for new members.

Thanks a lot in advance.

nicholasbrittain
19-02-2012, 02:12
Certainly! I apologize. I'm on such a short time schedule to do this that my mind is a mess. I'll head over now.

Cheers!
Nicholas

The Grand Wazoo
19-02-2012, 02:16
Much appreciated.

twelvebears
19-02-2012, 13:45
All you need to do is to keep the resistance of the array balanced by using a combination of parallel and series connections.

A pair in parallel will be 4 ohms, in series 16 ohms, so to connect four and two parallel pairs linked in series, and you're back to 8 ohms again.

To end up with a 8 ohm array, you could 12 drivers in 4 sets of 3. Each set of 3 would be 2 ohms, 4 sets in series and once again, you're back to 8 ohms.

8 ohm power handling would be a multiple of any single driver.

Used to do this kind of thing to build up multiple driver arrays of Rockford Fosgate in-car speakers many years ago.