PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back NAD

Mr Nad
17-02-2012, 17:12
After an interesting day, I've decided to plumb my NAD 302 back into the main system, and reserve the Mini-Ts for secondary systems in the study and bedroom.

The Mini-Ts rock, they really do. But. BUT... but today I witnessed them choking where the NAD sang.

A friend of mine has some home-built TL speakers. The bass units are Kef drivers (can't recall the precise model, but they are about 20 years old), and the tweeters are ribbon tweeters. Anyway, these TLs produce the most phenomenal bass I've ever heard. However, connected to the Mini-T, there was nothing. At first I thought I'd connected them out of phase, but no, there really was absolutely no bass at all. And the treble was lacking.

Connecting up the NAD, and what an amazing difference. Rich bass, crisp treble, clear midrange.

My friend and popped along to a local music shop that also deals with second hand hi-fi. We tested an old NAD 3240PE and the Mini-T wired up to a pair of JBL speakers. Again, the difference was stark. At louder volumes the Mini-T was strident, the bass wasn't as deep. However, it did sound better (to my ears, and the demonstrator's) than the Musical Fidelity Elektra E30/E20 combo.

So, this experience has prompted me to plumb back in my old, faithful NAD.

As I mentioned, the Mini-Ts are great devices that given their price are marvellous. Mine will be put to good use - as another hobby of mine is filmmaking, they'll be used to help me mix the soundtracks. They'll be great with my sons' music making antics too.

Ali Tait
17-02-2012, 17:22
The problem with chip amps IMHO is they only sing with speakers that are a kind load. given that, they can sound very good.

Mr Nad
17-02-2012, 17:30
My Tannoys are 90db/w/m. No idea what my friend's are. Being home-build, and being quite old (I've known him for 20 years, and he had them before we met), I'd imagine they are a hard load to drive.

It was a great experience being able to test the amp out 'exotic' components. At last, I was able to translate all those numbers into real-world experience.

I'd like to listen more to others' set-ups so that I can get a better idea of what real hi-fi is to different people. Shops are not the place to find out.

Ali Tait
17-02-2012, 18:02
No, it's good to other folk's gear, gives you a better handle on how your own sounds.

synsei
17-02-2012, 18:44
Yup, I'd agree with that. Listening to Mark's (Dingdong) system which is also driving DM2's helped me to identify the weak link in mine. Taking the Hafler over to hear it hooked up to his setup has since confirmed my suspicions...

DSJR
17-02-2012, 20:14
Older Tannoy DC's (classic 10-12 and 15 inchers) were around 11 ohm average and a very benign load I believe.

I've recently seen some pics of "proper" T amp designs, and they don't use one a side either - more like several to a dozen and a large bank of supply caps per channel. More than enough power with these I reckon :)