PDA

View Full Version : Avondale audio

Covenant
15-02-2012, 17:02
Croft equipment gets a lot of coverage on this forum but Avondale is hardly ever mentioned yet it's highly thought of on other forums. Is it any good?

DSJR
15-02-2012, 17:09
In a word, YES!

However, potential customers deal directly with les, unless I'm very much mistaken - or possibly Zener if you're down south..

There is a basic preamp based on the well received 822 boards, but by the time you've added the dedicated supply, the costs are climbing, but that's just penny-pinching old me. I've had a "ZAP250" style project on the back burner for a while, but funds permit me following through on this right now :(

Artifolk
15-02-2012, 17:35
I would agree with Dave, i had an AAA5 from Avondale years ago, in fact i wish i still had it... superb upgraded player.

Defiantly worth a look IMO.

Marco
15-02-2012, 17:44
Yes, Avondale equipment is SUPERB - definitely another one of my maximum 'SPPV' favs! Highly recommended!! :)

Marco.

DSJR
15-02-2012, 17:45
.. and with the best performing mech Philips ever made, IMO. Not as solid as the CDM1 or 4, but better tracking (amazingly so in the Arcam implementation for some reason).

Welder
15-02-2012, 18:02
Didn't think this would ever happen; agreeing with Marco and Dave (DSJR) in the same thread. :eek:

Avondale, excellent products, innovative engineering, high construction quality standards.
I particularly like their power amps. My next choice down if I cant have a Stellavox. ;)

jostber
15-02-2012, 18:41
Does Avondale only work with Solid State or are they also working with valve equipment?

I like their philosophy:

http://avondaleaudio.com/custom-audiophile-amplifiers/

Marco
15-02-2012, 18:48
SS only, unfortunately Jostein. But, Avondale equipment does not sound typically solid-state, in the sense of it sounding 'grey/lifeless' and 'dynamically flat', like SS does, when done badly.

Marco.

chris@panteg
15-02-2012, 20:25
I had Concordant Exemplar many years ago , it was a 100 Watt ss , designed and built for Doug Dunlop by Les ! Doug loved it and he was no fan of SS , says it all really.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-02-2012, 20:36
Nearly went down this road post naim/pre valves
Had a few chats with that Zener chap, he seemed a top bloke, very helpful, and willing to bend over backward for me!... To the point I actually felt pretty bad when I ha to rind and say I was getting the valve monster!

DSJR
15-02-2012, 20:49
The NCC200 boards do seem to be amongst the best versions of the RCA circuit that apparently many makers used in the early 70's (I believe), not just Naim.

northwest
16-02-2012, 00:16
Speaking with Les the other day and word is his new tone arm is going into production.

:stalks:

oh, and I have an AAA5 and it will not be coming up for sale anytime soon.

chris@panteg
16-02-2012, 00:42
Speaking with Les the other day and word is his new tone arm is going into production.

Les did have a turntable design some years back called the Gemeni ? On which the Voyd and Valdi TT's were based upon I believe.

jostber
16-02-2012, 07:37

That tonearm seems interesting, will be looking out for that.

sq225917
16-02-2012, 08:36
The two 'Guys' designed the Voyd stuff, Les played a part in helping them early on but it's not right to claim they were based on the Gemini. Les has made a surprising number of firsts in his time though.

chris@panteg
16-02-2012, 10:34
The two 'Guys' designed the Voyd stuff, Les played a part in helping them early on but it's not right to claim they were based on the Gemini. Les has made a surprising number of firsts in his time though.

Cheers , I think the Gemeni actually came after the Voyd :doh: , but the original idea of twin motor drive was by Les , Guy Adams took it further , much further with the Voyd ! :)

jostber
16-02-2012, 12:00
That tonearm seems interesting, will be looking out for that.

An intriguing post on the Avondale tonearm here by this not too prolific poster:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=132382&postcount=278

Dominic Harper
16-02-2012, 12:10
I have had the pleasure of meeting Les, and he is a very knowledgable guy. Dom is currentlt helping Les with the development of the arm and he has the 12" version here at the moment, but it is still prototype as yet. But it is looking very good.

Natalie;)