PDA

View Full Version : R.I.A.A Crossover information on a record sleeve?

The Black Adder
12-02-2012, 16:04
Hey chaps.

I'm currently selling a rare copy of Buffalo Springfields album on ebay and on the back of the record sleeve there looks like to be information for the crossover to be used for playback of the album.

I've not come across this before.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Records_02/ResizeofDSC05725.jpg

Barry
12-02-2012, 22:01
Nothing out of the ordinary there - I've several LPs which have the same information printed on the rear cover.

The Black Adder
13-02-2012, 08:05
oh.. sorry it wasn't that which made it rare, it was just unusual I thought

Barry
14-02-2012, 00:13
Hi Joe,

Apologies if I appeared 'dismissive'. You are right, the recommended equalisation information is not that rare, but it stopped appearing on most records after the late '60s. The records to which I referred were all American imports of the '60s. (Some Atlantic but a couple of Verve and Capitol)

The RIAA curve was introduced in in 1954, but took some time for it to be universally adopted by all the record companies. There are some who claim that some of the older recording characteristics were still used by some record companies up until the '90s, or rather earlier recordings were not re-equalised for later pressings.

What is unusual is Springsteen recorded in the mid '70s and by then most companies, if not all, had adopted the RIAA curve. Perhaps Atlantic were slow to remove the information.

Regards

keiths
14-02-2012, 00:18
I think Steely Dan's 'Katy Lied' has something like "Observe the RIAA curve" on the back (not at home at the moment, so cannot check ). That's mid-70s - but suspect it was a deliberate anachronism. I've several late 50s and early 60s jazz albums that have similar on them.

Barry
14-02-2012, 00:34
I think Steely Dan's 'Katy Lied' has something like "Observe the RIAA curve" on the back (not at home at the moment, so cannot check ). That's mid-70s - but suspect it was a deliberate anachronism. I've several late 50s and early 60s jazz albums that have similar on them.

Yes, your quite correct Keith. I have just had a look at my American pressing on MCA 1975 and at the end of the technical blurb it says: "For best result observe the RIAA curve."

Other Dan recordings I have are UK pressings, 'Can't Buy a Thrill' on ABC (1972) through the MCA recordings up to 'Gaucho' (1980) and none of these refer to equalisation.

Perhaps I shouldn't be quite so dogmatic though. :scratch:

Regards