PDA

View Full Version : Speakers with removable front baffles?

Spur07
08-02-2012, 13:37
Hi guys

Once again looking to tap into the vast experience store that is the AOS community :)

I'm on the look out for some cheap speakers to modify the cabinets. can anyone recommend an old, sturdy mid-size speaker that I can pick up for next to nothing and has removable/screwed front baffles? I want to insert my own baffle, preferably 3/4" thick or similar.

Alternatively, if anyone has got any unwanted cabinets/speakers as per description please drop me a line - eternally grateful and all that.

bobbasrah
08-02-2012, 13:57
I'm on the look out for some cheap speakers to modify the cabinets. can anyone recommend an old, sturdy mid-size speaker that I can pick up for next to nothing and has removable/screwed front baffles? I want to insert my own baffle, preferably 3/4" thick or similar.

Would it not be easier to get some mdf cut up locally to suit Paul?
Perhaps a joinery yard would have some 22mm offcuts available as they tend to come in big sheets etc...:scratch:

PS - Or is it a set of FINISHED cabinets you are after?

Spur07
08-02-2012, 14:22
Would it not be easier to get some mdf cut up locally to suit Paul?
Perhaps a joinery yard would have some 22mm offcuts available as they tend to come in big sheets etc...:scratch:

PS - Or is it a set of FINISHED cabinets you are after?

Yeah, its some finished cabs i'm after where I can replace the front baffle with my own - I got some birch ply off cuts left over. Its only a temporary measure. I'm happy building basic OB constructions and cut outs, but my woodwork skills don't extend to accurate cutting, straight planed edges, etc, required for building sturdy basic cabs. Apart from anything else it'll take me forever to do something like that anyway.

I've noticed some of the older EMi speakers I collect have removable front and back baffles usually fixed with screws, just wondering if anyone knew of any other old speakers with similar set up. :)

Dingdong
08-02-2012, 15:15
I've got a scruffy pair of B&W Dm2 cabinets you can have. Save me taking them down the tip.

Spur07
08-02-2012, 16:56
Thanks Mark. PM sent.

P