PDA

View Full Version : The activation email

keiths
07-02-2012, 19:36
As more and more new members fail to follow the request made in the activation email, maybe it needs to be worded a bit more strongly. Here's my suggestion:

|+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|
| P L E A S E - R E A D - B E F O R E - Y O U - M A K E - Y O U R
| F I R S T - P O S T - T O - T H E - F O R U M!
|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

| V E R Y - I M P O R A N T
|
| Thank you for registering with The Art of Sound
| We think we are more than just a just a forum; The Art of Sound
| is a proper community of real people and we'd all welcome the chance to get to
| know you a bit better.
|
| So...
|
| *** YOUR FIRST FORUM POST M U S T BE MADE IN THE WELCOME AREA ***
|
| where we would like you to say 'hello', giving your proper first
| name, basic location, something about your system
| and something about your favourite music.
|
| You will be assured of a warm and friendly welcome!
|
| *** ANY POSTS YOU MAKE BEFORE YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR
| *** INTRODUCTION POST IN THE WELCOME AREA WILL BE REMOVED
| *** BY ONE OF OUR FORUM LEADERS!
|
| Thank you!
|

Beechwoods
07-02-2012, 19:38
Thanks for your suggestion Keith. Its interesting that it irks you like it irks us! I wonder what everyone else thinks?

Roy S
07-02-2012, 19:40
Don't think it's too much to ask given how useful & entertaining the forum is

Alex_UK
07-02-2012, 20:09
Thanks for this Keith. As you will have gathered from me posting it earlier, it is a tedious job being a first post policeman, so anything we can do to improve matters (without scaring off genuine enthusiasts, of course!) is needed, I think.

MartinT
07-02-2012, 20:22
It's only common courtesy, but some new 'members' dive into the sales areas in their first post, ignoring the activation message and without so much as a hello :steam:

The Grand Wazoo
07-02-2012, 20:25
When writing those posts you have to tread such a fine line between grumpiness & friendliness! It's tricky.

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2012, 20:42
When writing those posts you have to tread such a fine line between grumpiness & friendliness! It's tricky.

+1 but the rules of the forum are the rules of the forum. If people wish to join they should read and accept the rules. If they cant be bothered to follow suit like the rest of us then they dont belong. This is great for autoregulation of the forum.

keiths
07-02-2012, 21:35
Couldn't the vbulletin software be the policeman?

Create a usergroup "New Member" for all newly registered users. Set vbulletin to promote members from "New Member" to "Junior Member" when their post count equals 1. Ban members of "New Member" group posting on all forums other than "Welcome".

Assuming of course that vBulletin can do this :scratch:

Beechwoods
07-02-2012, 21:51
We've had that same discussion behind the scenes Keith! We do a similar thing to restrict PM functionality below a certain threshold of posts, to avoid Spamming and the like.

Something like what you're suggesting is being worked on, though maybe not quite so draconian ;)

bobbasrah
08-02-2012, 11:17
We've had that same discussion behind the scenes Keith! We do a similar thing to restrict PM functionality below a certain threshold of posts, to avoid Spamming and the like.

Something like what you're suggesting is being worked on, though maybe not quite so draconian ;)

A LOUDER welcome email encouraging or forcing me to go toward the Welcome area would have probably drawn my attention to the requirement rather than skim over it IMHO.
However much I might object to being channeled, if it is clearly a prerequisite, it would not irk any more than realising my own stupidity after NOT complying....

Restricting capability to post a message until that is done, if technically easy to apply, would reinforce the point TBH.:doh:

Then all you are policing is the detal, such as why Mickey Mouse is living in Pseudopolis, with a passion for playing vinyl via cryogenically treated metal to glass tubes to Triffids, and other such improbabilities....:mental:

DaveK
08-02-2012, 11:45
Surely this is a simple software problem? - I am no expert on PCs but I find it difficult to believe that posting in the rest of the forum cannot be disabled until after a post of a minimum number of words has been posted in the Welcome area.
Alternatively is AoS too big to allow this to be manually controlled by the Mods/Duty Mod (if such a position exists).
If all else fails build in some sort of delay between Welcome post and next post to allow the mods to authenticate - it might restrict the flow of members but it would do a bit to encourage only serious members to get involved, rather than 'serial enrollers' (zero posters, of which AoS does seem to have rather a lot IMO?)
Dave.

MartinT
08-02-2012, 11:51
Alternatively is AoS too big to allow this to be manually controlled by the Mods/Duty Mod (if such a position exists)

One of the issues we're trying to avoid, Dave, is polluting all manner of threads with polite reminders to go to the welcome area, which is what currently happens.

Clive
08-02-2012, 11:53
I too think using the forum itself to police this is better, eg making profile fields mandatory and placing a min number of characters if possible.

I bet most people don't even read the automated email on joining.

synsei
08-02-2012, 13:41
It might be helpful to place a message on the registration splash screen stating this requirement, that way you catch those who don't bother to read the email ;)

synsei
31-05-2012, 19:27
I know this is an old chestnut but the message in the welcome email requesting that members introduce themselves etc, etc is clearly not getting through. I have been monitoring the situation for months and the failure rate is far too high to suggest the problem is with the newly registered members themselves but is actually a systems failure. Isn't there a way to direct new members into a group which only gives them posting access to the Introductions thread, then upon posting an introduction they are then automatically transferred to the members group?

Beechwoods
31-05-2012, 19:40
We could do that, but it's a bit draconian... I see the current policy operating on a 'gentleman's honour' basis, and to be honest, I think most new posters do now work with it rather than against it; we have a healthy number of new members 'Welcome' posts each day, with a minority who ignore the policy or forget in the excitement of wanting to pop their forum cherry!

synsei
31-05-2012, 19:56
I hear you Nick. Not sure which is worse to be honest, plonking them in a separate group until introductions are posted or the constant "Would you mind awfully popping into the Welcome section and telling us a little about yourself..." routine. Both methods smack of a parent berating a mischievous child. Perhaps an automatic reminder PM would help along the lines of:

"Welcome to The Art Of Sound. Don't forget to introduce yourself and tell us a little about your system and taste in music here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) before you sample the delights of the forum... :)"

Tim
31-05-2012, 20:01
I think the ones who mainly seem 'to forget' are those that just pop in to either try and sell or buy something. It amazes me the lack of tack some folk have and that they feel totally comfortable doing this. I don't think you will ever got these people to comply and once they have what they need, you never see them again.

synsei
31-05-2012, 20:07
I think the ones who mainly seem 'to forget' are those that just pop in to either try and sell or buy something. It amazes me the lack of tack some folk have and that they feel totally comfortable doing this. I don't think you will ever got these people to comply and once that have what they need, you never see them again.

Which is where my initial suggestion might work because most of them won't bother going any further... ;)

Beechwoods
31-05-2012, 21:09
It's a good idea, and one that merits some discussion. We did think about the reminder PM thing, but we have PM'ing deactivated until a member has posted a few times to avoid spamming / other mischievousness, so that meant new members couldn't get a reminder PM!

I'd be interested in what the general opinion was on making the board 'read only' to new members until they've posted in the Welcome area. It could be done easily.

Perhaps some newer members will have a view? How did they feel about our 'Say Hello in the Welcome Area' policy? What about those who had to be reminded? How did that make them feel? Did they mind?

Tim
31-05-2012, 21:11
I'd be interested in what the general opinion was on making the board 'read only' to new members until they've posted in the Welcome area. It could be done easily.
I think that's a good idea Nick.

Reid Malenfant
31-05-2012, 21:15
I think that's a good idea Nick.
Likewise :)

Apologies as you appear to be asking newish members this question ;)

It's not rocket science, asking for some kind of introduction before going headlong into the forum isn't asking very much imho :cool:

Beechwoods
31-05-2012, 21:28
No apology needed Mark! I'm interested in longstanding members' opinion as well.

My only concern is that it might discourage members from jumping in and then scuttling off to do their duty in their second or third post. Don't won't to have active membership stagnate by being overly controlling. That's why I'm interested in new members' views as much as older ones.

synsei
31-05-2012, 21:41
This sounds like a better solution Nick. I think in general the only people who will be put off are those who are looking to jump in to buy or sell stuff.

Barry
01-06-2012, 00:24
I too have noticed an increase in 'reminders'.

Apropos those who join simply to buy items Members have advertised, well this has happened to me on at least three occasions. In all cases I had to send the 'newbie' an e-mail requesting they introduce themselves before I could consider their interest. And in all cases I had to go through the preamble of "...AoS is more than just a Forum, it is a community...." and "... we think it 'bad form' to join just to take advantage of the items for sale ." etc. etc.

In all cases the miscreants followed my request and bought the item. However despite my request that they let the Forum know how they got on with whatever it was they bought, I never heard from them again.

I don't think allowing new members viewing rights only, would be see as being too heavy handed. Introducing yourself is not too difficult to do, nor is it too much to ask.

Marco
01-06-2012, 06:41
Yes, let's get some views on this, and if most people are in favour, we could trial it and monitor the impact :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
01-06-2012, 07:01
I'd be really interested to hear from some new members who got 'the treatment' from the First Post Police and are still with us. Did they think we were being heavy handed or displaying a light touch?

I've got to say, with the best will in the world, it's hard to display a light touch to the ones who rock up on a for sale ad for their first post. - easy to lose your patience when it's the second or third one in a day.

michaelhigh
01-06-2012, 12:18

BUT... having newbees do this separates The Art Of Sound from all other fora, in that it shows a genuine attempt to personalize the experience! I think it is a rather endearing aspect of our community. Word it as strongly as necessary, and watch as it takes on a personality all its own, like many areas of the forum.:D

Puffin
01-06-2012, 21:00
Yes, let's get some views on this, and if most people are in favour, we could trial it and monitor the impact :)

Marco.

In favour.

Reid Malenfant
01-06-2012, 21:15

Marco.

I'd be really interested to hear from some new members who got 'the treatment' from the First Post Police and are still with us. Did they think we were being heavy handed or displaying a light touch?

While I'm not a new member I do think that we still tend to ask for a new member who has missed the introduction to post one, I can't recall any posts demanding it except a certain member who managed to post about seven posts before Marco got a little stroppy, I can't blame him in all honesty :eyebrows: Yes it'd be nice to hear from someone new, but I doubt they'd be put off by it as they woudn't have posted an introduction if they felt offended in any way. Just the way I think.

In favour.
+1

DaveK
01-06-2012, 22:46
+1 from me too. I liken it to gate crashing a social gathering, helping yourself to drinks and canapes and then moving on without a word to the host or anyone else. We are, or think of ourselves as, a sort of community, not a walk-in centre and making some little effort to acknowledge that you accept the ethos of the place and are inclined to 'fit in' doesn't seem too much to ask, to me anyway :) .
Or perhaps I'm just an old dynosaur from a bygone age?:lol: :scratch:
Dave.

Mike A
01-06-2012, 23:41
As a new member I was actually surprised, after reading the activation mail, that it was possible to post anywhere else then the welcome area.
There are plenty of fora out there that have posting requirements of new members, so I don't think it would be a problem if the rest of the forum was read only until after your first post.

Darren
01-06-2012, 23:43

Don't worry Wazza you don't come across as grumpy. Cantankerous, maybe but certainly not grumpy!

YNWaN
02-06-2012, 07:49
I think the problem with the activation email is that many do not read it, it's as simple as that. The truth is that most forums have a very generic 'joining regimen' and the AoS is unusual in requiring the first post to be about oneself and ones system; I'm not saying this is a bad thing.

The fact that people fall fowl of this initial post requirement suggests, to me, that they have not read very much of the forum before deciding to join. I would also say that I think that some definitely do join just to use the opportunity to do some free advertising and I would agree that this is poor form. On some other forums access to post on the classifieds section is restricted to those who have 100+ posts and I would endorse this policy. I wonder if the same technique could be used to ban a first time poster from posting on anything but the welcome section of the forum for their first post?

synsei
02-06-2012, 08:30
We need to look at this from a Mods perspective too. Sometimes it is hard to be polite when you have posted your umpteenth "Could you please... blah-de-blah" message of the day. As has been amply demonstrated in this thread and in general, this forum has a distinct community oriented flavour so if you wanna join then you are going to have to abide by the rules and those rules aren't exactly facist in nature... :lol:

DaveK
02-06-2012, 08:50
Unless it's policed 24/7 - unlikely - there's nothing to stop a first post being anything but an introduction, just to get full access to the forum.
Are we getting too many new members to have a seperate 'New Members' are which is the only place where new members could post?
If this is feasible, perhaps a simple 'Application Form' could be devised requiring responses to the sort of information requests that we like. Not running to a 30 page life story, just the basic stuff we like to see in first posts in the Welcome area.
Until a mod has read it and deemed that it tells us what we like to know the potential member is restricted to 'Read Only' privileges.
Such membership requests do not need to be responded to immediately, they could just be looked at say once every 24 hours, and if they begin to pile up another mod could be asked to pitch in to help.
Alternatively, a member in good standing with more spare time than perhaps the mods may have, say a retired or housebound (ish) member, could be made Honorary Membership Secretary?
Just a thought.
Dave.

Rare Bird
02-06-2012, 11:33
I don't believe they don't see the activation mail..I blame the 'Private Exhibition' section for most new members that have one intention hence never stick around. This section certainly needs to be out of bounds for newbies..

Marco
02-06-2012, 11:57
I don't believe they don't see the activation mail..

I agree, dude. How can you miss this:

|
| P L E A S E R E A D F I R S T !
|

|
| Before posting in the main areas of the forum, please pop into
| the Welcome area and say 'hello', giving your proper first
| name, basic location, something about your system
| and something about your favourite music.
|
| You will be assured of a warm welcome, it helps us get to know you,
| and it's part of what we think makes The Art of Sound a
| proper community.
|
| Thank you!
|

??? :scratch: :scratch:

Bullshit. 'Missing it' is simply down to a mixture of laziness and apathy!

I think that undoubtedly some adjustment is needed, in terms of how we handle the situation.

I blame the 'Private Exhibition' section for most new members that have one intention hence never stick around. This section certainly needs to be out of bounds for newbies..

Yup - but what we need to do is agree on when a 'newbie' is no longer a 'newbie', and thus gets access to the classifieds. Should it be after 10 posts, 20, 50 or what? :)

Marco.

synsei
02-06-2012, 12:03
I think 20 posts is sufficient to determine whether somebody is here just to buy stuff or not ;)

Reid Malenfant
02-06-2012, 12:05
Yup - but what we need to do is agree on when a 'newbie' is no longer a 'newbie', and thus gets access to the classifieds. Should it be after 10 posts, 20, 50 or what? :)

Marco.
Maybe make it the same as the PM facility & possibly up that to ten posts ;)

That way we'll at least know they are being more serious about making themselves part of the community before trying to grab something :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
02-06-2012, 12:07
I think 20 posts is sufficient to determine whether somebody is here just to buy stuff or not ;)
The number isn't the problem, but imo it must be the same as the facility for sending PMs :) If it isn't then you'll get them doing the deed via PM first :rolleyes:

Macca
02-06-2012, 12:34
I'd question the use of the word 'pop' in the introduction e-mail - this is a very British colloquial expression that does not translate well, even to Americans. Given the multinational nature of the membership you could probably do with changing that to something more universally understood.

Marco
02-06-2012, 13:23
Good point, Martin. We'll look into that :)

Marco.

Puffin
02-06-2012, 16:23

When I listed stuff for sale recently I said that anyone who had less than 100 posts should not PM me about the kit. I did in fact sell the Gfiffins to someone in the trade who said they knew Marco, but only had a few posts. Guess what, they never even confirmed that they had received them from me! Still I got me money:)

Rob.

Reid Malenfant
02-06-2012, 16:26
I'm pretty sure that they'd have soon gotten back to you if they hadn't received them Rob :D Safe to say that they probably did...

However it is nice to have it confirmed at the end of the day :cool:

Spectral Morn
02-06-2012, 17:52
When I listed stuff for sale recently I said that anyone who had less than 100 posts should not PM me about the kit. I did in fact sell the Gfiffins to someone in the trade who said they knew Marco, but only had a few posts. Guess what, they never even confirmed that they had received them from me! Still I got me money:)

Rob.

Being rude seems to be the norm these days, lots with no manners at all. Sad state of affairs but par for the course.

I am a member of an American book related forum and one has limited access to it until you are involved for awhile and have contributed. One then progresses to further levels by the amount of contribution and involvement and this isn't just by high post numbers but by the actual quality of the posts.

I am not suggesting this for AOS but frankly the number of rude folks joining just to sell or even just to try and buy is high and still high and I am one of those who polices this a lot. I feel the introduction of a streaming system, that forces the first posts to be in the Welcome section is not a bad idea and I would be in favour of this. Folks don't read so this forces the issue and streams them into doing it. Put it this way if they want to be a part of this community then as this is part of that I feel they will accept it. Those who don't are imho probably not going to be missed.

Rare Bird
03-06-2012, 09:22
I think 10 posts is too low a number, anyone can go round the forum posting any old crap within a day to make up that number.

Another issue (but not related to this) is i think it's about time that some trade members actually started contributing to AOS in the form of general posting, instead of using it a a free advertizing zone!

Macca
03-06-2012, 09:32

Another issue (but not related to this) is i think it's about time that some trade members actually started contributing to AOS in the form of general posting, instead of using it a a free advertizing zone!

In fairness, a lot of them already do.

Rare Bird
03-06-2012, 09:40
Thats right some do & some don't

Marco
03-06-2012, 10:02
I think you make a good point, Andre, which in an ideal world would definitely be what we'd like to happen. However, the reality is that most dealers these days just don't have time to post on forums.

I know quite a few registered here, personally, and having visited their premises on numerous occasions, I can tell you that they're working all the hours under the sun just to try and make ends meet, with 12-13 hour days, currently not being uncommon...

It's really tough out there at the moment, as people just don't have much money to spend.

Therefore, you can appreciate that, for many dealers, whenever they get some free time, posting on forums won't even register a flicker on their radar....and so we're more than happy to support them, by allowing them to advertise here, without expecting too much in return :)

Marco.

Darren
07-06-2012, 06:43
I think we should try very hard to be as welcoming as possible. People jumping in to bag bargains is a fact of life.But how many items are actually sold to newcomers? Not many I bet. I think a good balance is already struck by the mod team lets not have change for change's sake or start to construct a them and us scenario.

Barry
07-06-2012, 18:11
I think we should try very hard to be as welcoming as possible. People jumping in to bag bargains is a fact of life. But how many items are actually sold to newcomers? Not many I bet. I think a good balance is already struck by the mod team lets not have change for change's sake or start to construct a them and us scenario.

Virtually everything I have sold on the Forum has been to newcomers. And in most cases, I have had to ask the newcomers to introduce themselves before I would consider their interest.

Having done so, and having bought the items, they all then "buggered off" and were never heard of again!

Darren
08-06-2012, 07:23
Fair play Barry. I stand corrected. Good to have shifted the stuff though eh?

Barry
11-06-2012, 10:03
Perhaps the solution to the problem of people joining the Forum simply to take advantage of items for sale, or to use the Forum as free advertising, might be to have the Private Exhibitions thread visible only to established members.

The Library is made invisible to non-members, could not the same be arranged for 'Private Exhibitions'?

Beechwoods
15-06-2012, 15:35
*Something* will be done. I need to agree what that is with the rest of the team.

I'm tending towards the idea of making the forum read only except the Welcome area, for the first post, and see how that goes for a while.

MartinT
15-06-2012, 17:16
It would certainly get my vote, Nick.

serendipitydawg
16-06-2012, 21:56
The Steve Hoffman Music Forum where I also appear from time to time, restricts all
access to buying and selling threads until you have 50 posts.

That might deter all the pesky varmints who pop up and snaffle all the bargains without posting a single syllable about anything else.

YNWaN
04-08-2012, 11:37
I just thought I would resurrect this thread as there does seem to be a significant number of new members who either don't read, or choose to ignore, the requirement to start their AoS posting history by first making an introduction post. In addition, I see that there are a number of recent 'introductory' posts that have taken the instruction to 'pop into the welcome area and say hello' rather too literally - saying virtually nothing else but 'hello'; which has little, if any, value.

I know that it is possible to limit users access on forums such as this. This is usually done so that moderators can have a private section, or for trade members. However, in this case, I suggest that the default for all members limits access to just the 'new members' section and that a pro-forma structure is provided with headings for the expected information. Hopefully, this would stop 'hi, I'm here' first posts. Once the moderation team are satisfied with the 'first post' content, they can (quite easily) activate access to the rest of the forum.

I would also say that, in terms of forums in general, a significant number of people join solely to make use of the free advertising of the classifieds. Indeed, at least one forum I can think of now exists primarily as a vehicle for said section of the forum (although that is not its intent) with very little activity in any other part of the forum.

MartinT
04-08-2012, 11:55
I'm still all for Nick's post #55.

YNWaN
04-08-2012, 12:11
Yeah, sounds OK - though will that stop people from posting just 'hello'?

Joe
04-08-2012, 12:23
Hello.

Beechwoods
04-08-2012, 14:46
I'm still all for Nick's post #55.

A good reminder... leave it with me :)

sq225917
04-08-2012, 17:07
New members are either ignoring, or not reading, or not understanding the email.

1. Change the email subject line so it is more compelling, in the literal sense. "You must do this before you make your first post"
2. Shorten the email content to remove 90% of what is there currently, less is more. Keep in to one simple instruction/request.
3. Choke new accounts so that their posts have to be approved, only approve them once they comply.
4. Maybe think about including this with the 'confirm your details' email. Everyone knows that they have to read that one.....Supply them a URL link to help them find the right spot to make the first post. The topic area names on AOS are somewhat less than helpful to newbies.

I only send 4 mail shots a month at work and they only reach about 200,000 customers, and my bounce rate is less than 5%, so I could be full of shit. But simple is best, the shorter the better. If you haven't explained the gist of it by the 5th word of the email subject line then you've failed. 90% of people won't even read the email content, I know I'm one of them.

-------------
Oh and it's about time you had a 'subscriber button' so people who give care can donate a nominal amount for the sites upkeep and in return get to show a little badge that they are suck-ups. ;-)

Beechwoods
04-08-2012, 17:14
The current plan is to make the forum read only, with the first post only allowed in the Welcome areas as a New Thread. We're just ironing out the details, but this will be accompanied by a sitewide notice to all 0 Post Members signposting this :)

archiesdad
04-08-2012, 18:59
As anew poster here I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect people to follow a simple request upon membership activation, but, as with most males, who reads the feckin instructions? none of us. So it would seem some kind of forum trickery may be required to get the first post in welcome before leaping into the general chat, lightning strike from the enter key perhaps?

Joe
04-08-2012, 20:29
All new entrants should be required to submit a closely-argued case, of no fewer than 5,000 words in classical Greek, with illuminated capitals, for why they should be permitted to participate in the Art of Sound.

If this submission is found to be of acceptable quality, the next stage is a comprehensive questionnaire covering all aspects of applicants' musical tastes, hifi history, sexual preferences, make of car, amount of annual income from all sources, parentage, and opinions on whether things are what they used to be, or not. A single incorrect answer will result in rejection.

Only in this way can the Art of Sound retain its edge over other, commoner, forums.

Beechwoods
04-08-2012, 20:35
Good suggestion Joe. Arbitrarily it would also make sense for existing members to go through a similar exercise, at the discretion of the forum Admin, natch. We could offer it like traffic cops can offer a roadside caution. Should sort out any troublesome tendencies :lol:

Macca
04-08-2012, 20:39
All new entrants should be required to submit a closely-argued case, of no fewer than 5,000 words in classical Greek, with illuminated capitals, for why they should be permitted to participate in the Art of Sound.

If this submission is found to be of acceptable quality, the next stage is a comprehensive questionnaire covering all aspects of applicants' musical tastes, hifi history, sexual preferences, make of car, amount of annual income from all sources, parentage, and opinions on whether things are what they used to be, or not. A single incorrect answer will result in rejection.

Only in this way can the Art of Sound retain its edge over other, commoner, forums.

:lol:

They should also have to pass an initiation ritual that involves running 5 laps of Tesco car park in their underwear whilst being blasted with a fire hose. This will be filmed and AOS will reserve the right to post it on U-Tube...

MartinT
04-08-2012, 20:41
Well, that should reduce the AoS membership pretty sharpish. Last one out, turn off the lights ;)

Joe
04-08-2012, 20:46
I suppose we could allow Church Latin as an alternative for those of humbler origins who wish to better themselves.

Beechwoods
04-08-2012, 20:47
We could always give more self-conscious members the Waitrose option!

Barry
05-08-2012, 11:23
Good suggestion Joe. Arbitrarily it would also make sense for existing members to go through a similar exercise, at the discretion of the forum Admin, natch. We could offer it like traffic cops can offer a roadside caution. Should sort out any troublesome tendencies :lol:

A bit like re-sitting the driving test at age 70! Those with more than 7,000 posts must apply for renewal of their membership, with the rest of the AoS membership voting. For their membership to be renewed, they must receive 75% 'pro' votes.

MartinT
05-08-2012, 11:24
Funny how you picked the figure '7000', Barry ;)

Barry
05-08-2012, 11:34
It was quite arbitary Martin, I had no-one in mind.

Thinking about it - maybe there should be an especially rigorous re-application test made for those having posted more than 30,000 posts! :eyebrows:

MartinT
05-08-2012, 11:44
LOL - I thought you could do the 'toad who hops half as much distance each time' and gradually reduce your postings so that you never quite reach 7000 :lol:

Barry
05-08-2012, 11:47
LOL - I thought you could do the 'toad who hops half as much distance each time' and gradually reduce your postings so that you never quite reach 7000 :lol:

Now there's a thought. :rolleyes: