PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 31.01.2012: Tunng - ...And then We Saw Land (2010)

griffo104
31-01-2012, 11:32
Ok bit of a quick one so apologies for the messiness of the layout here.

Tunng - ...And Then We Saw Land (2010)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HqsdzPBdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/5ljoeuKu39p0kDXuBgIWaj

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-We-Saw-Land/dp/B0035LXVI4/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328009152&sr=1-4

Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunng

I've chosen a very recent album here by a band I've enjoyed each release by but this latest, imo, is not only the best but also their most accessible.

enjoy :)

Alex_UK
31-01-2012, 15:14
Interesting, Simon. I have never heard of them - I like it when that happens with Album Club!

I've given it one spin - it's certainly foot-tappingly jolly, isn't it?! :) It reminds me in places of "I'm From Barcelona" and their rather magnificent 2006 album "Let Me Introduce My Friends (http://open.spotify.com/album/0zbZ29KUQGBXvv8RpeXP3L)" (although that is more sickly!)

I certainly enjoyed it enough for it to make it to a second listen, but too early to tell if it will get added to the Amazon Wish List... :)

griffo104
31-01-2012, 15:48
A beardy folkie guy on the wam recommended the band to me a very long time ago now and I've always found them interesting.

Thanks for tidying the OP up for me Alex, trying to do an album club while trying to sort out production abends isn't a fun juggling act :D

Spectral Morn
31-01-2012, 16:08
I think I have this :scratch: one of those purchases along with their first album I have still to get round to listening to. I will have a look as I think its on vinyl rather than CD.

Regards D S D L

griffo104
03-02-2012, 10:32
WOW - the silence here is deafening :lol:

Alex_UK
03-02-2012, 10:35
:scratch: Indeed, Simon!

I'll add it to my listening list for another go today and then the scores on the doors... :)

The Grand Wazoo
03-02-2012, 10:55
I'd never heard it, or anything by this band. I've played it three times now. First of all, I found it slightly annoyingly breezy, but I think it's growing on me now!
I'll be reporting back later - I think it deserves a bit more of my time.

Bazil
03-02-2012, 12:26
Really can't decide whether I like this or not, I do tend to switch off when listening to it but then again when I give it my attention I quite like it.
Think I'll give it a 7.

griffo104
03-02-2012, 14:19
Really can't decide whether I like this or not, I do tend to switch off when listening to it but then again when I give it my attention I quite like it.
Think I'll give it a 7.

I'm a bit like that with it myself. It's easy to dismiss when it's on in the background as nice and light but sit and give it your full attention then you tend to pickup on the all bits going on in it.

It's been very popular at my place over the last couple of months, which is a fair few months after I bought it :D

DanJennings
03-02-2012, 19:25
Oh no!

I love Tunng, but I really struggle with this album, it's too twee.

My favourite album by a long way is 'Comments Of The Inner Chorus'

I will give it another go and report back nonetheless

The Vinyl Adventure
03-02-2012, 20:09
Oh no!

I love Tunng, but I really struggle with this album, it's too twee.

My favourite album by a long way is 'Comments Of The Inner Chorus'

I will give it another go and report back nonetheless

I knew when I saw this thread you would have said this!

I like this album, 'comments of the inner chorus' and 'good arrows' are possibly better albums, but this is much easier to get on with!
It's the loosing of that funny way of putting vocals quite wide in te soundstage that I sometimes can't get on with in the earlier albums!...
It's doesn't ruin them by any stretch, it's just a bit off putting if your in the wrong mood!

Alex_UK
03-02-2012, 20:24
I gave it another listen - and without realising it, agree that it doesn't hold your attention if you get distracted (although what does?) - Still not decided - I like it - but quibbling between 6 , 7 & 8 at the mo... :)

DanJennings
04-02-2012, 08:45
It's the loosing of that funny way of putting vocals quite wide in te soundstage that I sometimes can't get on with in the earlier albums!...

I LOVE that!

John
04-02-2012, 09:19
I give it a 5 at the moment cannot make up my mind about it, but thanks for sharing and taking a chance

Alex_UK
07-02-2012, 10:36
7, in the end - "not too bad at all" - I will probably get a copy if I can find one cheap enough, and enjoyed it enough to want to check out their earlier work, so thanks for introducing this one to us Simon. :)

keiths
07-02-2012, 10:46
It's growing on me too. I want to listen to it a couple more times before voting.

griffo104
07-02-2012, 15:15
7, in the end - "not too bad at all" - I will probably get a copy if I can find one cheap enough, and enjoyed it enough to want to check out their earlier work, so thanks for introducing this one to us Simon. :)

Very a happy to oblige. not a classic but something new and quite pleasant. Not sure my Godflesh rec over on the Wam had the same positive outcomes as this one :lol:

Welder
07-02-2012, 22:25
Okay, I'll fez up. I've got this album but I'm not sure why.
It's okay but I think this probably sums up my feelings about Tunng......

TybFyhlwdvU

keiths
11-02-2012, 15:40
Yep - I like it. So I've given it 8 out of 10 and will be checking out their other stuff too.