PDA

View Full Version : A thumbs down for the World's largest high-end show

Neil McCauley
12-12-2008, 15:19
Said Lyngdorf today:

"We have decided not to participate at CES in Las Vegas in January. First of all, placing the ‘High Performance Audio’ part of the show at the top floors of The Venetian makes access to the show floors very difficult. Furthermore, we are not permitted to play at realistic levels (read: loud). We felt it would be difficult to demonstrate one of our advantages: That we can play dynamic music at a loud level in difficult acoustics – in genuine audiophile quality. Finally, we expect attendance to be quite low this year. Don’t look for us in Las Vegas, as we have no exhibit."

Filterlab
12-12-2008, 17:28
That's a shame, I read plenty of similar opinions about the recent Heathrow show too.

Spectral Morn
12-12-2008, 18:39
Hi Howard

Talk about little info. Which show are lyngdorf unhappy about ? :confused:

Its hard to offer any comment. And I would like to but need more info.

Are we talking about CES ?

Regards D S D L ------ Neil :)

Neil McCauley
12-12-2008, 18:59
Yes, as you can see in the original blue text it is CES

Prince of Darkness
12-12-2008, 19:00
"We have decided not to participate at CES in Las Vegas in January
Howard just beat me to this:lolsign:

Togil
12-12-2008, 19:11
Howard, I'm glad you've added Class D to your portfolio.

Neil McCauley
12-12-2008, 21:35
And so am I.

I'm now convinced. Moreover the Lyngdorf RP-1 is without doubt the most effective 'tool' I've discovered since the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. By effective I mean quite simply the ability to quickly and I do mean quickly bring a broad grin to the stony grimace of even the most hardy audiophile sceptic. One home demo = one confirmed sale. Simple as that.

Spectral Morn
13-12-2008, 10:55
Firstly sorry.

I must have had a not seeing the wood for the trees moment as I did not see the blue text/ nor read it, obviously.

I suspect this decision has more to do with cash flow than sound at hotels. Lets be honest the sound at hotels used for shows is always a very hit and miss thing, with more instances of miss. I know it is a tough call for any company at the present time to know where to put their limited resources and it maybe that the states is not the best place for Lyngdorf at the present time. I had heard of issues with the hotel CES is now using, but again I would say, that few if any are suitable. Perhaps CES is now not the best venue for promoting your wares to a wider world market ? If not then where, Munich ? Certainly Munich has taken over from the London shows as the European venue of choice( a very sad state of affairs, but hi-fi News had almost totally stuffed it up and the Chester Show was not a big help ; exception the first one they did perhaps) .

Just as an aside, why do companies insist on putting ridiculously over sized speakers in tiny rooms at shows ? I know they want to show their wares of to the best but it would make more sense to me to put these on static display and use speakers that suit the room and thus get a better level of sound. However it is sadly the case that these audio pro's keep making the same mistakes over and over again. So we end up hearing shit sound. A bad room is a bad room but why make things worse for yourself ?

Regards D S D L ----- Neil :)

tfarney
13-12-2008, 11:11
Howard, what Lyngdorf products, other than the RP-1 are you representing and what are your impressions?

Tim