PDA

View Full Version : Will's 401

Will
11-12-2008, 23:05
Thought I would post a pic of my deck seeing its appeared in a couple of posts.

Slate deck and a Shroeder type 12" arm.
Phono stage is a modified Bench 5842 design with choke loaded first stage and parrafeed output.
Pre Amp uses 210LF valves with parrafeed out, Power Amp is a 26 driver IT coupled to either a VT52 or 801a.
Speakers are Jericho Horns using Fostex FF225 and a Visaton horn tweeter.

Marco
11-12-2008, 23:08
Nice, Will! What about the cartridge? ;)

I loved your deck at Owston, as did many others.

Marco.

Will
11-12-2008, 23:20
Cartridge is 1970's SL15 ELL it has a higher output than the SL15 0.125mv and tracks at 1.5-2.0 gram imp 4 Ohms.

Marco
11-12-2008, 23:26
Will,

It's a pity the one Colin sent me wasn't a high output version... With the low output SL-15 I just couldn't get past the lack of gain and incorrect loading and impedance with my SUT into the MM phono stage of the Croft.

If I'd had the high output version I could have tried it straight into the MM phono input and it might have been a different ball game...

If you ever come across another high output version of the SL-15 let me know :)

Marco.

Will
12-12-2008, 00:31
You need the Ortofon 2-15k stepups they work into a 47k phono stage.
If you still have the SL15 I have the stepups (I dont use) if you want to try them.

Marco
12-12-2008, 09:48
Shit, I wish I'd known that before sending the SL-15 back to Colin! :doh:

I'll PM you my details and if you can send me the step-ups that would be great :)

Meanwhile I'll contact Colin again and ask him to send me the cartridge back...

Marco.

Marco
12-12-2008, 11:00
PM sent :)

Marco.

SPS
12-12-2008, 23:16
looks good Will, and it sounded very good at Owston,

i was very impressed.... i like the sound of the cartridge..
do you have it angled (the extra 5deg) in the arm..?

Did you get that shure?.. if you did, i've got some stylus's that seem to work well at 2-3 grams...
i've seen 4 styles/types of cartridge so far,and i'm onto my 5th make of stylus..
some are not very good.. and all vary.. but i find the sound quite addictive

steve

Will
13-12-2008, 00:08
Hi Steve
no didnt get that one, another sold for lots over £100.
Last night I read a post where up to 100k load and 150pf
total cap's vastly improved the sound of MM.
Also some have rec'd 100k loads.
He also had a list, how about a Astatic or Acutex.
I need a new computer.
Will.

John
13-12-2008, 00:29
I really like the 401 it must really sound great

Ali Tait
13-12-2008, 09:34
It does,especially in the slatedeck plinth.Will's was sounding superb at Owston,along with all his other own-built kit.

SPS
13-12-2008, 12:07
Hi Steve
no didnt get that one, another sold for lots over £100.
Last night I read a post where up to 100k load and 150pf
total cap's vastly improved the sound of MM.
Also some have rec'd 100k loads.
He also had a list, how about a Astatic or Acutex.
I need a new computer.
Will.

Will..
they are sometimes quite expensive they seem to go more in the states than the uk, one with a new shure stylus when for £70 to russia, i picked one up for £44 two weeks ago.. and there such a mixture of opinion, they are hard to implement and get them working correctly.. there's no chance with the low compliance sylus types, 5-6 grames vtw to play everything correctly put most off.. but the softer stylus is much better
it beats my MC in every respect now..including the bass.. not what i'd expect from an mm. its so musical..
mind you.. not every one may agree with what i like
they rarely do

the angle...
i was not aware that pre and post late sixty's lps where cut different
the early lps are 15deg and modern lps are 20 deg, lifting the arm by about 3 deg has improved the sound of the bass.. it sound less, but cleaner.,. its removed the plummy sound and tightened the rest of the range up, by some margin. it sounds more detailed too, but still retaining the qualities i liked

The full 5 deg added to the arm went the wrong way.. looking at the quality control of the stylus's show some variations. in both angles and cantilever length.. so the arm needs setting for the particuler stylus being used.

the VTW on the stylus changes that angle somewhat too as you know,so vtw and arm hight need to be ajusted together, a degree don't make that much difference...thats what some of my not so flat lps vary by, when playing

The otofons, when they changed from sl15's to mc20's.. that's the angle...

i'm very much learning..

increasing the load will make it brighter i believe.. with the standard stylus and and a sytem of average resoloution i can see that been taken as an improvement.. i wonder though.. it hard to evaluate what people are doing without knowing the rest of their kit.. any distortions are there to be heard with mine.. as you heard at owston...
it sounds so much different now, to even a few weeks ago

steve