PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 24/01/2012: Mazzy Star – So tonight that I might see (1993)

aquapiranha
23-01-2012, 21:08
http://www.amazonka.pl/photo/so/-t/so-tonight-that-i-might-see-99900087606_7982532_300.jpg

http://open.spotify.com/album/5K18gTgac0q6Jma5HkV1vA

I thought for a good while choosing what to put on the album Club. I suppose some would choose a classic album that many will have heard already, and others might go for something a bit more obscure, perhaps in the hope of spreading the word about one of their favourite artists. I hope that I have found a middle ground and something not too niche, and an artist many of you will have heard before.
One of the reasons I chose this album is because for a long time it was the soundtrack to my life, and it holds fond memories for me. Another reason is that I think it has a magical, haunting quality to it that is neither too twee nor too mainstream. Anyway, I have waffled enough; here is some history about the album copied without apology from elsewhere...

“Hope Sandoval was born June 24, 1966 and grew up in east L.A. with her Mexican-American family. She started her career together with her friend Sylvia Gomez in a band called "Going Home", a folk duo formed in 1986.
Hope had admired Kendra Smith as a teen-age Dream Syndicate fan. Sylvia Gomez handed Kendra Smith a demo tape which was comprised of Hope Sandoval on vocals and Sylvia on guitar. David Roback offered to produce some recordings for them and they went into the studio and recorded an album that to this day is yet to be released.
Hope and Sylvia played gigs in California throughout the mid '80s, and stayed friends with both Kendra and David. During the Opal tour in December '87, Kendra left the band and disappeared. David called Hope to see if she would be interested to take Kendra's place in Opal. They found Kendra and had some discussions. They did two more shows together but then she flew home. Keith Mitchell flew home and the next day he flew back with Hope. After that tour Opal became Mazzy Star.
To date, Mazzy Star has released 3 albums: She Hangs Brightly (1990), So Tonight That I Might See (1993), and Among My Swan (1996). Two new songs will be released October 31, 2011: "Common Burn" and "Lay Myself Down".
Hope writes almost all the lyrics for Mazzy Star. Hope is a very shy and private person. "For me recording is better," says Sandoval. "Live, I just get really nervous. Once you're onstage, you're expected to perform. I don't do that. I always feel awkward about just standing there and not speaking to the audience. It's difficult for me."
In 2001, Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions released Bavarian Fruit Bread and toured the US and Europe in the fall of 2002. Two EPs were also released: At The Doorway Again and Suzanne.
In addition to Mazzy Star and The Warm Inventions, Hope has collaborated with a variety of artists including The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Chemical Brothers, Death In Vegas, Bert Jansch, Richard X, Air, Vetiver, and Le Volume Courbe. In 2008, Hope had a song, "Wild Roses", on a compilation CD from Air France titled In The Air.”

I hope you enjoy my choice, please feel free to recommend other artists you think I might like to sample.

Steve.

:)

royzak
23-01-2012, 21:45
Time to fall in love all over again,I have all three albums on vinyl from when they first came out.Have had a few Stellas so seems a good time to re find that time and swoon gently,thank you.

Alex_UK
23-01-2012, 22:20
Good choice, Steve - and thanks for being early!

I only properly discovered this album and Indeed Mazzy Star due to AoS, a couple of years ago. At the time, a vinyl copy was into 3 figures, though I guess the 180gm reissue will have stabilised prices to a degree. Although I know this album pretty well I'll do the usual and give it a spin or three with fresh ears before voting. :)

The Grand Wazoo
25-01-2012, 01:06
Thanks for alerting me to this album Steve.
I have just listened to it on Spotify (just the one time), then gone immediately off to elsewhere on the web to buy it & I wasn't even able to listen properly & give my full attention to it.
I've never heard them before & though I know of them, I think I must have assumed purely from the name that they sounded like something I wouldn't like. How wrong could I be?! George Michael was right - 'Listen without prejudice'.
I'll be reporting in full when my copy arrives & I've been able to give it some twisty on the volume knob on the main system.

Thanks

aquapiranha
25-01-2012, 11:56
That is great news Chris, I am so glad you like it. Please do report back when you have had a proper listen.

Alex, I never realised it was that expensive for the LP, another nail in the coffin for vinyl for me I am afraid, I doubt I will ever go back to it now sadly.

Roy, I am glad you enjoyed it too :)

Alex_UK
25-01-2012, 12:06
Had another spin today - a very solid 8 from me. (10 for Fade Into You) :)

Bazil
25-01-2012, 15:26
I've vaguely heard of Mazzy Star but no idea about there type of music. Played it once and I like it. The girl's voice reminds me of a track which I like on a Chemical Brothers album I have, can't think of the name but Noel Gallagher is on it.
Shall play this a few more times as usual and vote later.

keiths
26-01-2012, 14:02
I'd never heard this before (though I'd heard of Mazzy Star, but for some reason never checked them out - maybe because the name makes them sound like a funk or reggae outfit) and must say that after the first couple of listens am enjoying it very much. Some of it reminds me a bit of Cowboy Junkies (though not the singer's voice) and I'm sure I recognise "Into Dust" from somewhere?

A solid 8/10 from me. I'll buy it (maybe splash out on the 180g vinyl re-issue) and will check out their other albums.

Great Album Club choice Steve :clap:

RochaCullen
27-01-2012, 15:46
Mad timing,

I've had the Mazzy Star album "Among My Swan" for a number of years, and only last week did I buy this album and "She Hangs Brightly".

I love her style and the quality of her recordings. Great albums.

The Grand Wazoo
28-01-2012, 12:05
The postie was good to me this morning & the CD plopped through our letterbox.
It went straight into the CD player.
No regrets, it's a really good album. I'm not going to vote yet, as I haven't decided on an 8, 9 or 10. A few more plays will no doubt sort that out.

What do I hear?
A melting pot filled mostly with ingredients from The Velvet Underground and Cowboy Junkies. But it really reminds me of the Snakefarm album 'Songs From My Funeral' which I love.
Oh, and an Arthur Lee cover - can't be bad!

The Vinyl Adventure
28-01-2012, 12:11
Great album, one of Hannah's faves!

Bazil
29-01-2012, 18:38
I mentioned in my earlier post the singer (Hope) reminded me of a Chemical Brothers track I liked, just read the OP in full (sorry Steve) and yes it was she.
The opening track I really like but the rest I can take or leave, not bad , something different.
6/10.

MartinT
29-01-2012, 20:09
I liked it so much that I accidentally bought it twice! Lovely, ethereal singing with a hint of widescreen cinematic backdrops. Love it! 8/10.

The Grand Wazoo
30-01-2012, 23:21
I went for an 8/10 in the end but I suspect that a few more plays would have me giving it a 9.
Once again Steve, thanks for giving me the opportunity to finally get around to hearing what I've been missing out on.

colinB
31-01-2012, 23:11
Lovely album. The new single isnt bad too.

Welder
03-02-2012, 16:14
Oh dear, what happened to Mazzy?
I’ve got She Hangs Brightly and bits of it get played every now and then.
Mazzy on SHB brought to mind some elements of Nico and Velvet Underground.
Unfortunately it sounds like someone told her she had real talent and could get away with a Leonard Cohen style drone along.

I struggled to stay awake. I’m afraid it goes on in “wouldn’t pollute my hard drive with it” category.

I realise some may say “you need to listen to it a few times and it will grow on you”.
They also say if you rub eggshell on your fingers you’ll get warts; rather have the warts tbh.;)

Alex_UK
03-02-2012, 20:26
I so love how you sit on the fence all the time John! :lol: Still, it would be a boring old world if we all loved the same. :)

Pete The Cat
05-02-2012, 17:49
I seem to recall that Hope Sandoval was actually Willian Reid (of the abovementioned Jesus & Mary Chain)'s better half for a while...

Pete

RichB
13-05-2012, 18:41
This is another one i got off the bay for quid, yes I've went with the consensus and given it a reasonable 8. Its suitable for late night listening and reminds me a bit of Broadcast (from Warp Records) a bit, or is that Broadcast sound like Mazzy Star who came before them.

I think their sound reflects their Californian origins, a bit hazy like the weather there...could see myself chilling to this by a pool in Palm Springs.

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 16:46
Well I enjoyed this, I'd have given it 6.5/10 going on the 6/10 not too bad & 7/10 good.

It started off really well but my attention started to drift a bit towards the end of the album. Must say that it sounded very good indeed though via Spotify :D

6/10 :)

Tim
28-05-2012, 16:53
How did I miss this one :scratch:

I love this album and first discovered it whilst traveling in Cuzco. I found this great backpackers chill out bar run by a German couple and they use to play it a lot. 'Fade into You' seemed to spin every time I went in there, so it stirs powerful memories for me.

I am playing it now, but it gets 8/10 from me as I really like it.

(thanks Mark for the reminder)

Barry
03-02-2013, 01:34
Sorry, I missed this Album Club submission.

8/10 from me. Hope Sandavals' voice reminds me of other 'Valium'-reverbed contenders such as Margo Timmins - very atmospheric, but sustainable? Possibly not.