PDA

View Full Version : The Album Club: 10.01.2011: Propaganda – A Secret Wish 1985 ZTT Records

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 00:33
Album Club: 10.01.2011: Propaganda – A Secret Wish 1985 ZTT Records (CD, SCAD, Vinyl, Cassette)

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/p/propaganda/album-a-secret-wish.jpg

Spotify Link to original release http://open.spotify.com/album/20WvOLT4klgKqzYGJGFDMV

Spotify Link to 25th Anniversary version + extras http://open.spotify.com/album/6oxjHxb7XKRLsdCtVuB8z9

About Propaganda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_(band)

All versions of the album listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Secret_Wish

My exposure to this seminal slice of electronica came on a friend’s HiFi System (Philips CD Player, Musical Fidelity A1, Tannoy Mercury’s) and hearing it was as much an experience as was the system I heard it on; as this system was the first real HiFi I ever heard.

My early years in college, was truly a journey of exploration both from an academic and musical point of view. I was introduced by very good friends to a wide variety of rock music, from the prog of Yes, the pomp of Styx and Kansas and the melodic rock and metal of the day and everything in between but the black sheep among my friends was Alastair, who liked bands like Japan as well (boy I used to rib him about this) anyway one day while down in his house he played this album to me and it blew me away.

Frankly I had never heard anything like it before and it still stands tall as a fairly unique sample of Tuetonic electronic music with wee hints of prog and pop and the kind of experimental soundscapes that Art of Noise would record.

Propaganda’s soundscape fits into that of a cool industrial bleakness, dark smoky Berlin nightclubs and the darkness of the bdsm underworld (listen to their lyrics for wee hints of this). Their music is mechanical and as driven as the machine workshops of factories, but it is also very sensual, dark, erotic, exotic, gothic and in many, many ways very German.

This is at times an aggressive in your face and relentless album of 52.01 minutes duration with a pretty good level of sound quality throughout but in the wrong system it can become a bit wearing as at times it is a tad brightly recorded. Later re-masters and the SACD version are much more evenly balanced but don’t lose the, at times, punk attitude and aggression on some of the tracks. Amazingly while the vinyl version is mostly better than the first CD, taking into account early digital recording techniques it too can be a bit bright and forward.

Trevor Horn was to have produced this album but Stephen Lipson ended up doing the job and very well too I think.

Listening to this music with its swirling synths, driving percussion and the wonderful vocals of Susanne Freytag and Claudia Brücken opened my mind up to a whole new range of musical possibilities and types of music I had not considered before and this album very much laid the foundations for my getting into Dance music and electronica a few years later on.

A Secret Wish is an important album both musically and for me as it took me out of my rock/metal comfort zone and challenged me to broaden my musical tastes further.

All the tracks on this album are fabulous but the epic Dr Mabuse is simply stunning.

Various remix albums and rare versions of tracks compilations have been released over the years including:Wishful Thinking and Outside World. However the most complete version including a rare cassette only track was released a few years ago as the 25th Anniversary Edition.

After A Secret Wish.....

http://andthenthemorningwasadifferentplace.files.wordpres s.com/2007/08/r-727192-1159215701.jpeg

The follow up album 1234 could almost have been made by an entirely different group (both Brucken and Freytag had gone and were replaced by Betsi Miller on vocals) as it is warmer, less in your face and a wee bit more prog even featuring the guitar playing of David Gilmour. I like this album almost as much as A Secret Wish, but it is a very different beast but well worth checking out as well.

After Propaganda Claudia Brucken went on to record more music with a solo album, as part of a group The Act and on other various projects. You can read more about her work here, all are worth a look and listen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Br%C3%BCcken

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2012, 00:36
:rfl: Sorry Neil but you have a 10/10 already :eyebrows: I have the original Secret Wish cover Tattood on my right arm :) I also have the pic you have there of 1234 on my left arm :lol:

So where is the voting form?

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 00:44
:rfl: Sorry Neil but you have a 10/10 already :eyebrows: I have the original Secret Wish cover Tattood on my right arm :) I also have the pic you have there of 1234 on my left arm :lol:

So where is the voting form?

Ahhhhh good question Mark, Alex help?

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
10-01-2012, 00:45

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2012, 00:48
Damn I want the SACD! :eyebrows:

I don't need to listen to this as it's burned into me :D Or is that printed into me :rfl:

Neil, you couldn't have chosen virtually any album that would have appealed to me more than this one ;)

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 00:58
Damn I want the SACD! :eyebrows:

I don't need to listen to this as it's burned into me :D Or is that printed into me :rfl:

Neil, you couldn't have chosen virtually any album that would have appealed to me more than this one ;)

I love it and never get tired of it Mark

The SACD version is excellent a wee purchase made in the Fopp shop in Edinburgh a few years ago :D

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2012, 01:06
Ah, I thought I had a pic of it im my photobucket account... Unfortunately I could only find this :eyebrows:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Yello-1.jpg

You may know it, this is my left bicep :)

I'll get a pic of my right one tomorrow just to prove to you I'm not kidding :D & I'll get one of my left shoulder which is the 1234 album :lol:

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2012, 01:10
PMSL, yes, worth getting your body tattood! This has a solid 10/10 from me... Voted :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 01:12
PMSL, yes, worth getting your body tattood! This has a solid 10/10 from me... Voted :eyebrows:

I thought you might like that Mark :D

Regards D S D L

keiths
10-01-2012, 01:16
:clap: :yay: :more: :hifives: :cool: Great choice :)

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 01:39
:clap: :yay: :more: :hifives: :cool: Great choice :)

Thank you, its a long term fave of mine and deserves a bit of a plug.

Regards D S D L

AAshton
10-01-2012, 02:04
Only One Word - Excellent

Andrew

John
10-01-2012, 07:58
This is a really strange one for me some of it I actally like but at times its 80s pop style just turns me off I do not.really enjoy Electronic music it just not my thing. Like Neil I come from that pomp period of Kansas Boston and Rush but I moved in a totally different direction
I will comment more latter and listen a few times before I score it

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 10:51
This is a really strange one for me some of it I actally like but at times its 80s pop style just turns me off I do not.really enjoy Electronic music it just not my thing. Like Neil I come from that pomp period of Kansas Boston and Rush but I moved in a totally different direction
I will comment more latter and listen a few times before I score it

HI John

Yes there is an 80's electro pop aspect to this album but it is much darker, decadent, arty and aggressive overall compared to many of the other examples of Electro pop from the early 80's plus it has a depth of music that many of those other frothy examples are missing.

I came into music via Soundtracks, John Barry, John Williams etc and then the New Romantic vibe of Visage, Ultravox and then Hawkwind, Gong etc and American melodic rock but still this album was very different and helped/forced me to refocus, to be broader in my musical tastes than I was at the time I first listened to it.

Regards D S D L

John
10-01-2012, 11:20
I enjoy the darker aspects Neil

webby
10-01-2012, 11:42
I'm not part of the album club but I'm just popping in to say that this is a Great album!!

*quickly runs away :)

DSJR
10-01-2012, 12:35
Used to love both of them.. Forgive me if I don't post much for the next week or so, I have LOADS of new (for me) electronica to plough through (thanks Alex:)) and these two will have to have a long overdue outing :)

Alex_UK
10-01-2012, 21:15
I'm not part of the album club but I'm just popping in to say that this is a Great album!!

*quickly runs away :)

Excuse me young man - everyone is part of the album club - you don't have to get involved if you don't want to, but just dip in and out when you feel like it - I did remember you liking this album as we've discussed it before - definitely a classic, and a very welcome addition to Album Club. :)

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2012, 21:34
Just got reminded by Alex post to load these :eyebrows:

No I wasn't kidding....

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/ASecretWish-1.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/1234-1.jpg

:lol: I guess that means I'm the only person who can give it a 10/10 then :rfl:

Alex_UK
10-01-2012, 21:36
I think you have to give it 10/10 after that Mark! :)

Spectral Morn
10-01-2012, 22:52
Just got reminded by Alex post to load these :eyebrows:

No I wasn't kidding....

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/ASecretWish-1.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/1234-1.jpg

:lol: I guess that means I'm the only person who can give it a 10/10 then :rfl:

Indeed Mark, the only one; who can.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
10-01-2012, 22:57
Indeed Mark, the only one; who can.

Regards D S D L
And did :D

Bests to you Neil.

aquapiranha
10-01-2012, 23:53
I have given this a 7/10 as I think it is very good. I think it is really good 'pop' but is a bit more than that without wanting to sound critical. I will certainly have another listen.

Edit - Duel was a brilliant track!

webby
11-01-2012, 12:51
I once met Derek Forbes and Brian McGee at a gig in Swindon. They we playing in a band called the flys. Derek joined propaganda after he left simple minds in '85. I don't think he played on A Secret Wish but he played bass on the tour. Brian joined Derek in propaganda for the 1234 album. I remember reading at the time of 1234 that they were touting it as a kind of follow up to simple minds' new gold dream (now that's an album for the album club).

Anyway, Derek, who I was a big fan of (I used to play a bit of bass myself) told me how they recorded with propaganda; Although he wrote the basslines they just sampled his bass.

I love this album, particularly the relentless momentum of dream within a dream, the pure pop brilliance of duel and the crazy pop extravagance of dr.mabuse.

There are a bunch of remixes as well that are worth a listen, some of which are available on the deluxe reissue. I'm pleased that the analogue versions are included on there.

Spectral Morn
11-01-2012, 19:39
I once met Derek Forbes and Brian McGee at a gig in Swindon. They we playing in a band called the flys. Derek joined propaganda after he left simple minds in '85. I don't think he played on A Secret Wish but he played bass on the tour. Brian joined Derek in propaganda for the 1234 album. I remember reading at the time of 1234 that they were touting it as a kind of follow up to simple minds' new gold dream (now that's an album for the album club).

Anyway, Derek, who I was a big fan of (I used to play a bit of bass myself) told me how they recorded with propaganda; Although he wrote the basslines they just sampled his bass.

I love this album, particularly the relentless momentum of dream within a dream, the pure pop brilliance of duel and the crazy pop extravagance of dr.mabuse.

There are a bunch of remixes as well that are worth a listen, some of which are available on the deluxe reissue. I'm pleased that the analogue versions are included on there.

Thank you for that, very interesting indeed.

Regards D S D L

Bazil
12-01-2012, 11:28
Never heard of Propaganda lots of 80's stuff passed me by. Knew about ZTT and who in the world didn't know FGTH.
This is a very powerful album and of course I had heard Duel (hundreds of times). Like this quite a lot, wouldn't by it now though as it is a bit time locked IMO.
7/10

Pete The Cat
13-01-2012, 22:04
Good choice - a very strong record that I keep coming back to. "Dr Mabuse" made it into Peel's Festive Fifty that year, I saw them with Derek Forbes on bass at Nottingham RCH as well. Always liked their cover of "Sorry For Laughing" too...

Pete

Audioman
15-01-2012, 11:39
Better than I expected as electro pop was never my thing in the 80's. However contains a number of strong tracks especially the singles Dr Mabuse and Duel which I remember from that time. Gave it 6/10 for the original album. BTW MOV are going to reissue it on double 180g vinyl (I assume the expanded version). I much prefered the Analogue mixes from the 2011 reissue.

Spectral Morn
15-01-2012, 18:07
Better than I expected as electro pop was never my thing in the 80's. However contains a number of strong tracks especially the singles Dr Mabuse and Duel which I remember from that time. Gave it 6/10 for the original album. BTW MOV are going to reissue it on double 180g vinyl (I assume the expanded version). I much prefered the Analogue mixes from the 2011 reissue.

That's interesting, when they do perhaps you could post a link to the new vinyl edition here.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
16-01-2012, 01:01
Well, someone was going to have to give it a low score. That'd be me, I'm afraid! I can't be doing with this at all.

.......sorry.

keiths
16-01-2012, 01:24
Lovely album - probably my favourite "80s album by an 80's band". So I've given it an 8 out of 10.

Audioman
16-01-2012, 09:53
That's interesting, when they do perhaps you could post a link to the new vinyl edition here.

Regards D S D L

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140527438905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like it has 3 of the remixes and just the analogue album mix ? Released 1st April.

Alex_UK
16-01-2012, 23:51
I reckon this must be the best scoring Album Club choice so far, with only one person giving it less than 6 - and 81% of the vote to 7/10 and above... I gave it 8 - a favourite album of mine. Now off to dig out my vinyl copy of Wishful Thinking - the remix album, though not officially supported by the group I believe - http://open.spotify.com/album/75wUwdEehpxHNJGUcOpozp - (those of you like me who used to religiously watch the RAC Lombard Rally coverage on the BBC every year will recognise "Jewelled" the remix of Duel/Jewel.

Audioman
17-01-2012, 15:31
Some of those 'Wishfull Thinking' remixes are headache inducing - all drum and bass for effect.

Welder
19-01-2012, 00:11
I rather like this. Not my normal listening but I can see why it's a bit of a gem.

8/10