PDA

View Full Version : No music

John
06-12-2008, 07:45
I changed my preamp sold it a few weeks ago. Been waitig for my new amp which is an active tube based preamp. Just got it yesterday and no sound have to send it back to the maker means at least another two weeks without music apart from my walkman and hd595
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh so frustrating so sorry if I have been a bit ratty lately surffering withdrawel symptons
At least they paying for postage

Beechwoods
06-12-2008, 08:27
That must be a major frustration, given how into your vinyl you are! Which portable do you have? I have a Cowon iAudio M5 that handles FLAC, Shorten and all the big lossy formats (I'm using it with the Rockbox unofficial firmware) and it's got all my favourites on it. I think it'd keep me going for a while if I didn't have the rest of my system. The quality is excellent a portables go. I picked the Cowon for it's decent D-A's and headphone output reproduction. It takes the knocks as well, with a proper Aluminium case and small functional display that isn't prone to getting cracked in your pocket.

I enjoy listening to stuff on my headphones. I've only got entry level Sennheiser cans, but for portable use and when I'm at my computer they're great.

I've occasionally threatened to stick a comp of stuff onto 3 3/4 ips tape and take my Uher out on the daily commute, but I think that might be going a bit far :)

John
06-12-2008, 08:35
Thanks for making me smile the thought of u taking out the Uher
Use the Walkman it has better sound than the Ipod more dynamic so the HD595 works really well but no LP and music for me is also a part body experience Like to feel it in me
Anyone know a relly good repair guy in London not sure if I can wait another 2 weeks

Neil McCauley
06-12-2008, 09:38
Phone me John. I'll lend you something. Howard.

Primalsea
06-12-2008, 09:39
As you live in Cricklewood does this mean you are near Cricklewood Electronics?? Maybe they will know someone who could fix it.

Marco
06-12-2008, 09:43
Phone me John. I'll lend you something. Howard.

Top stuff, Howard. That's why you're so well respected here :)

John, I hope your amp get sorted soon.

Marco.

John
06-12-2008, 16:42
Wow Howard what can I say I owe you big time We have to have that meal sometime

Neil McCauley
06-12-2008, 18:04
How about a STAX 12s Class 'A' preamp? Full range of line inputs and outputs. Quite neutral. Should do the trick. Yours until whenever. I'll phone you on Monday. You can have this on Monday night if you wish. Best. Howard

StanleyB
06-12-2008, 19:37
Sorry to hear about your problems John. If your weekend is completely spoiled until you get the loaner from Howard, you can call me and jump in your car and get down my place. Just 5 minutes up the road;). I have a Pioneer C73 waiting to go on eBay as soon as I can figure out where out where I put the side panel screws. Dunno if I got a loaner DAC at hand though:scratch:.

Stan

Marco
06-12-2008, 19:58
It just gets better and better... We have some fantastic people here on AOS. Top man, Stan! :cool:

Marco.

John
06-12-2008, 20:18
All I can say is a big thank you to everyone Howard Stan you guys are amazing Really feels like a community its interesting going back to the thread around Forums and seeing the other side to them one of people really reaching out and helping

Neil McCauley
09-12-2008, 23:54
John - how are you getting on with my very old, rather tatty and much loved STAX SRA-12S?

Best

Howard