PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus software

Spectral Morn
03-12-2008, 23:08
Hi guys

I know that, many of you are computer experts. If you were getting Anti-virus soft ware what would you get ? Is there anything good thats free ? if you had a choice of AVG or Norton which would you get ?

Regards D S D L ------ Neil:)

Primalsea
03-12-2008, 23:14
Neil,

I have found Comodo to be very good and its free. With a resonably fast machine you can run the firewall, active scanner and anti virus with llittle drop in performance.

On my 800mhz laptop with Win2k it works very well also but I had to turn off the active scanner bit as it hogged resources.

Dave Cawley
03-12-2008, 23:25
Norton, Norton or Norton, your choice?

Dave

StanleyB
04-12-2008, 06:14
Avast. It is superior to Norton and AVG.

Filterlab
04-12-2008, 09:58
Never touch anything other than Kaspersky. Norton has continual update issues and is a bugger to remove, McAfee simply doesn't work and AVG is like walking through treacle.

Alternatively buy a Mac. ;)

Spectral Morn
04-12-2008, 14:44
Hi Fliltelab.

I know very little about this so any and all help is very welcome. However Kapersky (I know the spelling is wrong), a number of sites such as ad aware and Spy bot say this suggestion is no good, why ? Frankly I don't know what to do. I know about the issues with Norton but I am going to have to pay soon for AVG 8 (free trial is over soon). And As I am out of work paying is not something I want to do, if free options exist which are as good or better than AVG 8, thats what I am interested in.

Avast and Comodo may be good but can I have some more info, please. Any Pros and cons on options.

Thank you in advance for your help. Buying a Mac is not an option, sorry.

Regards D S D L ------ Neil:confused:

alb
04-12-2008, 16:39
AVG is free for personal use.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/2129071/avg-antivirus-free-edition

You must have downloaded the wrong version.
Its looked after my computer for several years with no problems.

Mike
04-12-2008, 16:51
I use AVG8 (free vesion) without any problems.

I used Norton for many years too but the regular 'subscriptions' got on my nerves and it did cause occasional problems. And it's an arse to remove.

Sid and Coke
04-12-2008, 17:34
NOD 32 fantastic AV software, not obtrusive at all unless it snags a problem , then it lets you know . It doesn't clog up your system. Just sits in the system try quietly doing its thing. I have version 2 of the software installed on this machine, it was a 28 day free trial version that i found a fix for to extend this to 16 million days.... :D

My own experience of using Norton AV products are that they are such resource hogs, obtrusive and meddling that i sometimes wonder whether installing it is actaully worse than the nasties it is supposed to be preventing.

Beechwoods
04-12-2008, 19:27
it was a 28 day free trial version that i found a fix for to extend this to 16 million days....

I'd be wary of tricks like that when it comes to software like antivirus stuff, simply because the 'fix' could be allowing malicious stuff to go on without you being aware - like allowing through a few viruses when the fixer feels like it.

If you worry about viruses I reckon it's worth investing rather than relying on workarounds :)

But I have a Mac so I don't need to worry... yet ;)

Primalsea
04-12-2008, 20:33
I cant comment on programs I haven't used but Norton & McAfee I have used and they are not good at all.

Comodo I have found to be very good and its absolutely free. I recently installed it on a netbook I bought for my daughters. It runs really well in the background and the PC is by no means a performance machine by any standard.

Comodo is also easy to set up.

Spectral Morn
04-12-2008, 21:05
Hi guys thanks for the comments keep them coming. I guess I am looking for a consensus on what to go for.

I may indeed have downloaded the wrong AVG. Its a miracle I was able to do anything at all.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil

Prince of Darkness
05-12-2008, 09:41
AVG do make the free version harder to find than they used to.;)

Clive
05-12-2008, 10:08
Both my kids got similar viruses, they were trojans presenting persistent adverts. AVG did not stop them and could clean them up, however I don't know if other anti-virus s/w would have done any better. One laptop had to be reinstalled from it's backup. The other took a lot of fixing.

StanleyB
05-12-2008, 11:26
I have been using AVAST for 10 years now and I can't remember the year when I last had a virus or trojan attack that brought my PC to its knees. As a business user I get on average 5 attack attempts each day amongst the 100+ junk emails. So I am quite satisfied that my virus checker is bullet proof:).

Clive
05-12-2008, 11:34
I have been using AVAST for 10 years now and I can't remember the year when I last had a virus or trojan attack that brought my PC to its knees. As a business user I get on average 5 attack attempts each day amongst the 100+ junk emails. So I am quite satisfied that my virus checker is bullet proof:).
The killer seems to be Limewire.

StanleyB
05-12-2008, 11:39
The killer seems to be Limewire.
I plead the 5th on anything other than logging on to AoS and the BBC news pages:eyebrows:. But I do have a 20MB broadband connection for good reason;).

Clive
05-12-2008, 11:55
I plead the 5th on anything other than logging on to AoS and the BBC news pages:eyebrows:. But I do have a 20MB broadband connection for good reason;).
Point taken, I'll try it out!

Spectral Morn
05-12-2008, 12:05
If AVG free is hard to find do you mind sharing where it can be found ?

Regards D S D L----- Neil:)

Prince of Darkness
05-12-2008, 12:36
Try this.:)

http://free.avg.com/

Spectral Morn
05-12-2008, 13:35
Thank you Kevin

Regards D S D L ------ Neil :)

Spectral Morn
09-12-2008, 00:43
I just want to thank everyone who has been so helpful