PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 20.12.2011: Laura Nyro - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

Beechwoods
19-12-2011, 20:22
This week's Album Club feature is one of my top 3 albums ever. It happens to feature the word 'Christmas' in it's title, but it's not a Christmas album. It's an album of beauty and anger, and a multiplicity of musical dimensions.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/Laura_Nyro-Beads_of_Sweat_Cover.jpg

'Christmas and the Beads of Sweat' was Laura Nyro's fourth album, and the last of her 'Columbia Trinity' - the three albums she recorded for Columbia Records between 1968 and 1970, which are widely acknowledged as her masterpieces.

Of this trinity, 'Christmas' is often overlooked by the critics. Laura started as a songwriter, at a particularly young age (her first songs were published when she was just 16) and a number of her songs had been widely covered by other artists even before she'd achieved fame as a performer in her own right. But this is Nyro at her most accomplished; moving from her signer-songwriter beginnings and exploring new territory. She never reached further in subsequent albums, indeed I wonder if she actually scared herself with this. Her next album was a record made entirely of covers, and the one after that was a reissue of her first. It's almost like she knew she'd hit her zenith.

Possibly her most famous song was 'And When I Die', from her first album on Verve in 1967, and covered by Blood Sweat and Tears. For a songwriter by trade, it's ironic that her own biggest hit was a cover of 'Up On The Roof', the classic Goffin / King track originally performed by The Drifters, which appears on 'Christmas' as the closing track of the first side.

This album is a journey that deserves 45 minutes to savour. It's a difficult journey to describe, taking in the lush Brill Building arrangements in the opening two tracks, and the beauty of 'Up On The Roof' which will for me forever be the definitive version of an incredible song, with an intensity that really shows Carole King and Gerry Goffin's skill at distilling a feeling into a few words and a simple melody. The counterpoint to the previous track, 'Been On A Train' couldn't have been starker. The former about life, death and heroin.

The 'second side' or last 4 tracks are where Nyro moves it up a gear. The arrangements are extraordinary, with 'Map To The Treasure' moving into minimalist territory, highly reminiscent of Steve Reich's Piono-phase experiments.

The highlight for many will be the penultimate track, 'Beads Of Sweat'. Duane Allman's guitar drives a rock & soul track that shows how Laura Nyro could easily rock like Joplin when she chose to. Nyro was no goodie-two-shoes, she'd experimented with drugs, but she was a genuine believer, and the last track speaks of this. I have a privately released US Army album of Laura Nyro covers by a band that saw action in Vietnam; that always struck me as incongruous given Nyro's lyrics in this song: I love my country as it dies
In war and pain before my eyes...

Give this album a bit of your time, and you may find that it touches you like it has me.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/beechwoods/playlist/5A0GTCZ7fSGmbQ9bg2VV3s
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F22DA0DFF70BF66

The venerable Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Nyro

wzYzCq4-R2A RVYqR0bnoqQ TkYVsd7DZlI

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/LauraThousandMikes.jpg

Bazil
20-12-2011, 11:23
Great write up Nick, never heard of Laura Nyro but thats just me I'm a bit blinkered with female artists. I'll give this a 3 or 4 listens and report back in a few days.

Audioman
20-12-2011, 11:43
Nick. An inspired choice and not something obvious and mainstream. There was so much good music around this period I am still able to find more intesting material I passed on at the time or was unaware off than from that being released today.

Being a fan of female singer songwriters I don't quite know why I have failed to investigate Laura Nyro especialy as music fans and musicians have been recommending her for years. Of this album I have heard the last track before somewhere and the cover 'hit'. Also was aware she wrote 'Stoney End'. I think the problem may be her acclaimed music was released before album tracks became radio staple and just prior to my LP buying started.

Loved this especially the last 4 tracks. Great arrangements and production that would never be lavished on a low selling artist today. I will now have to seek out the original CBS LP. So it's got to be a 9/10 for me. Other Nyro albums are being reissued on vinyl but not this one so far.

keiths
20-12-2011, 14:12
Good choice. I've got a bit behind with Album Club having not got round to listening to last week's selection yet. Will hopefully catch up this week.

Beechwoods
20-12-2011, 20:48
Thank you guys, to be honest, it was an easy pick. I love this album, and it deserves to be heard. Laura's first 4 albums are all worth hearing, but this is her best. She's completely underrated and massively influential, her main weakness was her voice, which was raw and natural, but on this record she holds her own, and when you 'get' her voice, like Dylan, it doesn't matter because the quality of her words and music is far more important.

Laura Nyro died in 1997 aged 49. She died of ovarian cancer, a horrible disease, and the world was robbed of a fantastic talent... she never re-achieved the acclaim she was awarded in the late 60's and early 70's, but she has come to be appreciated as an artists' artist, it's a shame I never got to see her perform live. I remember reading of her death and being completely shocked - 49 is no age to go. What we need is a proper documentary on her life and times, there's so little footage of her circulating. It would be nice to see BBC4 do something.

keiths
20-12-2011, 21:43
I've just snagged a vinyl copy on eBay - so I'll delay listening to this until that arrives I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180773332559?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

John
21-12-2011, 20:25
I m listening to the album right now
Thde first thing I notice is the music very much of its time but what helps it is the lyrics and at times fragile and other times strong vocals not sure is it a 5 or 6 for me

Alex_UK
21-12-2011, 20:47
Not sure why I've never really "noticed" her before, but I haven't really! Played it once earlier, will need to give it a couple more goes but a couple of outstanding tracks already. :) Nice one, Nick.

royzak
23-12-2011, 14:23
Can not believe I missed this one.I own and love The First Songs,New York Tendaberry,Eli and the Thirteenth Confession and Nested.
So thank you for a great write up,have now got this on order and can't wait.:)

Alex_UK
23-12-2011, 17:57
Hi Roy - I'm guessing you are a "lurker" normally, but now we have coaxed you out of the shadows, it would be really great if you could do an introductory thread in the Welcome section, and tell us about your system and music tastes (in addition to Laura Nyro, of course!)

Pretty please, with holly sprig on top? ;)

Beechwoods
24-12-2011, 08:17
Can not believe I missed this one.I own and love The First Songs,New York Tendaberry,Eli and the Thirteenth Confession and Nested.
So thank you for a great write up,have now got this on order and can't wait.:)

I can't believe it either! I'm glad you've decided to treat yourself, it is a definite progression from the earlier albums, but on a continuum, no massive volte-face. Hope you enjoy it Roy!

royzak
24-12-2011, 08:34
I can't believe it either! I'm glad you've decided to treat yourself, it is a definite progression from the earlier albums, but on a continuum, no massive volte-face. Hope you enjoy it Roy!

Thanks again Nick,it will be worth it if only for that delicious cover.

Bazil
26-12-2011, 12:24
I've played this several times and its pretty good its really easy and pleasant to listen to. I don't like Map to Treasure with the piano doodling but this is offset with a fabulous cover of Up On The Roof. 6/10

keiths
26-12-2011, 16:17
I've had a couple of listens to this on vinyl now, but haven't really made up my mind. A few of the tracks on side 2 remind me a bit of Rickie Lee Jones but I think I need to listen a few more times to get more used to her voice before voting.

The Grand Wazoo
30-12-2011, 13:03
I like this a lot, thanks for bringing it to my attention Nick.
I have her first album but my appetite for exploring her music a bit more has been spoiled by the fact that 'Stoned Soul Picnic' and most of Eli and the Thirteenth Confession annoys the hell out of me! It sounds a bit too much like songs from a musical for my taste.

Anyway, this album really hits the spot for me & your descriptions are spot on. I notice more than a little hint of her in Kate Bush after hearing the last three tracks here.

Great album & an 8 out 0f 10 for me - I will be looking it out.
Thanks

Tim
30-12-2011, 13:07
I'm still mulling this one over before voting as initially it wasn't working - a bit too pop. However, it has led me to Mother's Spiritual which I really like :)

Alex_UK
30-12-2011, 13:13
Thanks for the reminder Chris & Tim that I hadn't voted... (Sorry Nick!)

Yes, I continue to enjoy it - and will be getting hold of a copy I think, and exploring her catalogue. I always struggle a little with sad artist stories and music, so I have to get over that not tainting my enjoyment of her music for what it is. (49 is no age at all - and I also read that her mother died at exactly the same age from the same disease! :eek:) Still, she left a great legacy.

keiths
30-12-2011, 13:26
Didn't quite do it for me, I'm afraid. Some very strong songs, but also some not in a style that I especially enjoy and I just can't make myself like her voice - too many not quite in-key high notes that grate a bit. Not unhappy that I bought a copy and will play it again every now and then, but can only score it 6 out of 10,

MartinT
30-12-2011, 14:36
I hadn't really ever listened to Laura Nyro before. Coincidentally, I have just watched BBC4's documentary on Easy Listening, which it would be easy to categorise this as - no insult, since the Carpenters were heavily featured.

However, further listening puts this into the singer/songwriter genre and she sounds a little ahead of her time to these ears. I would seriously love to get this on vinyl as it sounds like the perfect medium for her (I know Nick would say 'tape').

A solid 7/10 from me, and merits more playing time.

Reid Malenfant
13-01-2012, 21:25
Listened to this earlier & totally forgot to vote :doh: Gets a good 6/10 from me, though if the Spotify source had been better it may well have been a 7 :)

Not my normal cup of tea but thoroughly enjoyable none the less!

Glad you logged in Nick, you reminded me to vote after I listened earlier :eyebrows:

Welder
19-01-2012, 00:06
I've definitely got a soft spot for Laura.
Not my favourite album of hers but very listenable.

Got a bit behind with the listening; too much computers and not enough music :doh:

7/10 i reckon.

Barry
26-10-2012, 00:13
Laura Nyro was one of those rare artists that only come along once in a while. Passionate, soulful and with a distinctive singing style. Like Janis Joplin, she sadly died far to early. 8/10 from me.

This quote posted by someone on YouTube sums it up:

Where are the David Geffens of today...to find and shepherd through this crazy business, the artists who like Laura must be out there somewhere? Such a wonderful soul as hers and Joni's may never reach us today as they struggle against the tide of Lady Gaga and the host of circus clowns masquerading as "artists".