PDA

View Full Version : New/Old system.

jsj24uk
27-11-2008, 14:25
Hi All.

Just thought I'd stick a couple of pics up of my first proper system.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x122/jsj24uk/IMG_0030.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x122/jsj24uk/IMG_0029.jpg

Tiny by the very impressive standards on here but it's a start.

Jim.

Filterlab
27-11-2008, 15:22
Lovely stuff Jim, a good intro to hi-fi.

First and foremost, get the speakers on stands. It'll give them a sturdy base, it'll give them room to breath and it'll stop the vibration giving your CD player a hard time (plus you'll be amazed how good they'll sound!). :) I'd also be tempted to put the amp above the CD player to help it keep cool until you can get a hi-fi stand.

John
27-11-2008, 15:24
We all have to start somewhere what counts is that you enjoy the music I notice good CD selection in the background Yet again some very good advice from Rob

Filterlab
27-11-2008, 15:32
I notice good CD selection in the background

Aye, and let's not overlook the Bob Dylan poster of course. ;)

Yet again some very good advice from Rob

I thank yor! :)

Jim; good choice on the amp and speakers by the way, you have the ratio of spend bang on. Arcam and Mission have always seen eye to eye when it comes to component matching. :)

Steve Toy
27-11-2008, 16:51
Speakers on stands seconded. Also the rest of kit on some kind of stand so each component is not stacked on top of the other.

I agree with Rob about putting the amp on the CD player in the meantime.

Filterlab
27-11-2008, 18:17
Jim, you could, for the time being, pop your CD player in the cabinet where the Bose Musicwave thing is. What interconnect are you using between your CD player and amp?

I agree with Rob about putting the amp on the CD player in the meantime.

If the speakers are on stands, he has enough room to put the components side by side of course. Always a cool look. ;)

Beechwoods
27-11-2008, 21:15
I can see why you were drawn to that CD player, Jim. It's got a real old-school charm to it. They also weigh a ton! You were 8 in 1984? :) Apparently the 204 was Phillips second tray loading CDP, and their 7th ever... and the whole mechanism is in the tray :) This early stuff is really cool!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your system with us.