PDA

View Full Version : Lid Scratches

flaxman
13-12-2011, 11:59
Anyone know a good substance to remove scratchs from my record deck lid? Many years ago whilst serving in the RAF we used Goddards Plastic Polish to remove scratchs from the aircraft canopy, however I can't seem to locate the plastic polish version anymore.

jostber
13-12-2011, 12:13
Those aquarium owners often have this problem, and their fishes is demanding their view to the world to be clean and pure, so something like this might help?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_Acrylic_Scratch_Removal_Kit_7200 0_Tank_Cleaning_Kits_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB1551-FIMTCK-vi.html

Light Capture
13-12-2011, 12:26
The best product I know of is Novus plastic polish and scratch remover. They make a kit with #1, 2, and 3, but all you really need is #2. It works on all plastic and polycarbonate, and even works on eyeglasses lenses. It is available in many places and on line too. I bought mine at a local motorcycle dealer.

TBL
13-12-2011, 16:36
You could try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350508219015

not used it myself but I know others who have and say its not bad for light surface swirls but no good for deep scratches (but I suspect nothing is)

julesd68
13-12-2011, 19:18
There is this stuff aswell, but not tried it -

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=2890

Reid Malenfant
13-12-2011, 19:24
I always used to use Brasso, you may well find that T-Cut does the job just as well to ;)

Put it like this, I always use Brasso on unplayable CDs & DVDs & I have never failed in getting them playing & rid of scratches yet :)

flaxman
13-12-2011, 20:16
I always used to use Brasso, you may well find that T-Cut does the job just as well to ;)

Put it like this, I always use Brasso on unplayable CDs & DVDs & I have never failed in getting them playing & rid of scratches yet :)

Thanks for your input, I'm flabbergasted that Brasso helps CD's and DVD's play again...amazing; you learn something every day.

Reid Malenfant
13-12-2011, 20:21
You have to be careful & make sure you polish backwards & forwards from the edge to the centre & back, gradually working round the CD/DVD whatever :)

Any abrasive will put miniscule or microscopic scratches into the plastic, so as long as you polish from the centre to the outside & back the microscopic scratches introduced by the polishing will be at a roughly 90 degree angle to the laser travel & result in less errors.

Just make sure you support the CD or DVD on some solid flat surface when doing this. I mean solid to! I generally use an offcut of 18mm MDF ;)

RochaCullen
20-12-2011, 15:28
You have to be careful & make sure you polish backwards & forwards from the edge to the centre & back, gradually working round the CD/DVD whatever :)

Any abrasive will put miniscule or microscopic scratches into the plastic, so as long as you polish from the centre to the outside & back the microscopic scratches introduced by the polishing will be at a roughly 90 degree angle to the laser travel & result in less errors.

Just make sure you support the CD or DVD on some solid flat surface when doing this. I mean solid to! I generally use an offcut of 18mm MDF ;)

I am going to give this a go this evening on a few of my more badly off CDs.

Nice one.

sq225917
20-12-2011, 15:48
Meguires plastic polish from Halfords, about £10 for a 150ml tube and it'll polish, acrylic, polycarb, pretty much any optical polymer and it's less abrasive than Brasso and also doesn't contain VOC's unlike Brasso.

Reid Malenfant
20-12-2011, 17:42
Cheers for the heads up Simon, I'll have to get some of that stuff & try it out. May well be good for finishing the job off to get a smoother finish :)

RochaCullen
12-01-2012, 18:01

Well I gave it a shot, and for the first time in years I was able to listen to Massive Attack's Mezzanine in its entirety.

Thanks Mark! :cool: