PDA

View Full Version : oppo 95

jon1
07-12-2011, 20:33
Oppo 95 is their any body getting one besides mark and myself?..or has any one got one now?:eyebrows:

jon

guyb
07-12-2011, 21:05
What is the Oppo 95 like for CD and SACD (stereo & multi-channel) playback?

Vinyleyes
08-12-2011, 05:36
I have the 95 ... I never played SACD yet .. but I am even using it now to act as a music server .. it sees everything off my NAS and you can control content off it using the TV with the Oppo remote. CD replay is more than acceptable .. and it plays just about everything .. see this thread as well.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9154&highlight=oppo

:cool:

jon1
08-12-2011, 19:41
What is the Oppo 95 like for CD and SACD (stereo & multi-channel) playback?

Guy I will let you know when i get it:eyebrows:

jon

Reid Malenfant
08-12-2011, 19:56
Guy I will let you know when i get it:eyebrows:

jon
Likewise, but I think some rewiring is going to be in order :scratch: I'm going to use the balanced stereo outputs for CD & SACD in stereo & the single ended outputs for multichannel.

Luckily I can have them all on the same input (multi 3 on my ARC MP1) & simply swap over from the balanced to unbalanced inputs using the remote ;) I just means I turn less power amps on when listening to SACD in stereo..

Handy system as all the stereo inputs (& one multichannel) can select balanced or single ended, which effectively means I have double the number of inputs :eyebrows:

I'd have thought we'd both receive them on the same day John :cool:

jon1
08-12-2011, 20:58
MG.... have you got some pics of the internals of the oppo 95?;)

jon

jon1
08-12-2011, 21:01
Likewise, but I think some rewiring is going to be in order :scratch: I'm going to use the balanced stereo outputs for CD & SACD in stereo & the single ended outputs for multichannel.

Luckily I can have them all on the same input (multi 3 on my ARC MP1) & simply swap over from the balanced to unbalanced inputs using the remote ;) I just means I turn less power amps on when listening to SACD in stereo..

Handy system as all the stereo inputs (& one multichannel) can select balanced or single ended, which effectively means I have double the number of inputs :eyebrows:

I'd have thought we'd both receive them on the same day John :cool:

I will be using the same as you mark the two stereo out puts in the mutichannel setup:eyebrows:

jon

jon1
08-12-2011, 21:04
Mark did MG get back to you about decoding in the oppo 95?...Not seen it on the thread:eyebrows:

jon

Reid Malenfant
08-12-2011, 21:14
Mark did MG get back to you about decoding in the oppo 95?...Not seen it on the thread:eyebrows:

jon
I'm surprised that Mark hasn't posted it up in all honesty, but yes the 95 decodes DTS-MA & Dolby True HD fully ;) Not just the lossy bit of the codecs. Apparently Mark checked with the technical people at the factory to establish this :) Also a good deal of so called AV amps also don't decode the whole lot, only the lossy core of the codec :rolleyes: Brilliant, it's a minefield out there :steam:

I could post up the PM (quoted) I received but it just isn't the done thing to do. So you won't be seeing that :eyebrows:

jon1
08-12-2011, 21:25
I'm surprised that Mark hasn't posted it up in all honesty, but yes the 95 decodes DTS-MA & Dolby True HD fully ;) Not just the lossy bit of the codecs. Apparently Mark checked with the technical people at the factory to establish this :) Also a good deal of so called AV amps also don't decode the whole lot, only the lossy core of the codec :rolleyes: Brilliant, it's a minefield out there :steam:

I could post up the PM (quoted) I received but it just isn't the done thing to do. So you won't be seeing that :eyebrows:

I hope not:lolsign: maybe MG will post about the decoding?;)

jon

MartinT
08-12-2011, 22:23
I'm going to use the balanced stereo outputs for CD & SACD in stereo & the single ended outputs for multichannel.

Careful Mark that the Oppo can drive both the single ended and balanced outputs simultaneously. Many machines can't and must not have both sets of outputs connected at the same time.

Reid Malenfant
08-12-2011, 22:39
Agreed Martin :)

There will be none though, this is what I'm attempting to say ;)

I'll use the single ended 5.0 out for multichannel audio (no sub selected ;)) as the Oppo doesn't have 5.1 balanced outputs doing 5.1.

I can select balanced inputs on one 5.1 channel on this pre amp :) So if I switch over to the balanced inputs it's a totally different circuit & relays switch over to the balanced part of the circuit, an XLR :)

I simply use less power amps in stereo mode :) There is no conflict :cool:

jon1
09-12-2011, 21:46
Mark..nothing from MG yet?:scratch:

jon

Reid Malenfant
09-12-2011, 21:51
Too early, they should be here by the 16th I think ;) Maybe a day or so earlier at the most...

Patience is a virtue :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
09-12-2011, 23:20
I have the 95 ... I never played SACD yet .. but I am even using it now to act as a music server .. it sees everything off my NAS and you can control content off it using the TV with the Oppo remote. CD replay is more than acceptable .. and it plays just about everything .. see this thread as well.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9154&highlight=oppo

:cool:

Brian, are those FLAC files? Didn't know one of these could work as a streamer.

slate
10-12-2011, 14:46
My OPPO 93 happily plays my FLAC library and the 80-100 MP3 files that found in various corners of my drive.
It uses the DLNA server part of Windows Media Player in Win7
or using the DLNA server plugin of my SqueezeBox Server aka Logitech Media Server nowadays... version 7.7 or higher.
And yes it can also play movies via DLNA.

The internet functionality is a bit limited in the EU version. In the US they have access to various movie services etc...

jon1
10-12-2011, 17:05
Too early, they should be here by the 16th I think ;) Maybe a day or so earlier at the most...

Patience is a virtue :eyebrows:

What is patience mark?:eyebrows:

jon

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 17:10
Obviously something that I possess that some people on here have never heard of :ner:

:eyebrows:

Keep it up & you'll be a gibbering wreck by the time Friday comes around :facepull:

:D

jon1
10-12-2011, 17:18
Obviously something that I possess that some people on here have never heard of :ner:

Keep it up & you'll be a gibbering wreck by the time Friday comes around :facepull:

:D

I what it NOW:steam::trust:

jon

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 17:21
I what it NOW:steam::trust:

jon
It'd be fun, I could stick Tiesto on the PJ & go mad :eyebrows: But that'll be end of this week to the beginning of next. Just depends when Mark gets his stock in & then contacts us :cool:

jon1
10-12-2011, 17:25
It'd be fun, I could stick Tiesto on the PJ & go mad :eyebrows: But that'll be end of this week to the beginning of next. Just depends when Mark gets his stock in & then contacts us :cool:

I you will be able to hear it all it's glory DTS MASTER for once..it rocks:eyebrows:

jon

Mark Grant
10-12-2011, 18:10
Just depends when Mark gets his stock in & then contacts us :cool:

As far as I know they are in the country today at a port :)

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 18:16
As far as I know they are in the country today at a port :)
So I was right then :eyebrows: It depends on when you get them & contact us :lol:

Hey Mark, don't forget to have those 5 x 1.5M G1500HD ready to ship as soon as the players get there :cool: Ta!

If you haven't still got my phone number let me know fella ;)

jon1
10-12-2011, 20:48
So I was right then :eyebrows: It depends on when you get them & contact us :lol:

Hey Mark, don't forget to have those 5 x 1.5M G1500HD ready to ship as soon as the players get there :cool: Ta!

If you haven't still got my phone number let me know fella ;)

Next week then?;) x mas coming early..by one week:lolsign:

jon

jon1
11-12-2011, 16:46
Mark your avatar will it a be pic of you connecting the oppo 95 next week?:lolsign:

jon

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 16:50
Nooo, that'll be me next year putting in my new high power mains spur :lolsign:

jon1
11-12-2011, 16:53
Nooo, that'll be me next year putting in my new high power mains spur :lolsign:

:eek::D

jon

Mark Grant
11-12-2011, 17:14
MG.... have you got some pics of the internals of the oppo 95?;)

jon

Yep :)

Audio board and one of the PSU's removed to allow fitting of the Pro Mod kit:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/oppo-95-boards-removed-IMG_9740.jpg

----------------

Mod kit installed, PSU and audio board not back in yet )
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/Oppo-95-mod-kit-IMG_9743.jpg

---------------------------

Left hand side of the back panel:
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/oppo-95-IMG_9762.jpg

--------------------
Right hand side of the back panel:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/oppo-95-IMG_9763.jpg

-------------------

I will take some more :)

Ali Tait
11-12-2011, 17:17
Has anyone compared one of these as a streamer with the Squeezboxes?

jon1
11-12-2011, 17:49
very Nice pics mark:eyebrows:

jon

jon1
12-12-2011, 19:33
Mark are you doing a small review of the oppo 95?:eyebrows:..You will have yours before i get mine;)

jon

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2011, 19:37
How did you work that one out? :scratch: You psychic or something, or skint :D

jon1
12-12-2011, 19:39
How did you work that one out? :scratch: You psychic or something, or skint :D

Skint :lolsign:..no i will be collecting mine:eyebrows:

jon

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2011, 19:44
I see, well I guess it depends on what day Mark gets them etc as to who gets them first. But if I do then you might get a few words ;)

I guess I could spin a CD, then an SACD & then stick on Tiesto :D At that point you may well hear me saying OMG at the DTS-MA & you'll likely not hear from me again until the next day :eyebrows:

jon1
12-12-2011, 19:47
I see, well I guess it depends on what day Mark gets them etc as to who gets them first. But if I do then you might get a few words ;)

I guess I could spin a CD, then an SACD & then stick on Tiesto :D At that point you may well hear me saying OMG at the DTS-MA & you'll likely not hear from me again until the next day :eyebrows:

YES..YES:rave:Are you sure we will get this review?:lolsign:

jon

jon1
12-12-2011, 19:51
Mark your are in for a shock:eek:That tiesto bluray does rock:stalks:..It really thumps;)

jon

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2011, 19:54
Actually assuming it gets here at any reasonable hour it'll be wired in straight away (after allowing it to warm up to room temperature). I can't resist something new so I'll no doubt be playing all sorts of stuff on it including DVDs to see how well it upscales compared to the Panny DMP-BD80.

Luckily for me I'll only need to remove the cassette deck & Panny BD player as well as Denon DVD2930 & these are all at the top of the rack, I reckon I can get it wired properly inside of 3/4 of an hour.

So you may well get a bit more of an in depth review than OMG :eyebrows:

jon1
12-12-2011, 20:00
Actually assuming it gets here at any reasonable hour it'll be wired in straight away (after allowing it to warm up to room temperature). I can't resist something new so I'll no doubt be playing all sorts of stuff on it including DVDs to see how well it upscales compared to the Panny DMP-BD80.

Luckily for me I'll only need to remove the cassette deck & Panny BD player as well as Denon DVD2930 & these are all at the top of the rack, I reckon I can get it wired properly inside of 3/4 of an hour.

So you may well get a bit more of an in depth review than OMG :eyebrows:

Ex speck a big sound stage on DTS MASTER & TRUE HD;)..true lossless:cool:..I do not think we will hear from you all night:lolsign:

jon

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2011, 20:05
I still need my AoS fix ;) So I'll be about somewhere...

jon1
12-12-2011, 20:09
I still need my AoS fix ;) So I'll be about somewhere...

I watching tiesto:D

jon

jon1
13-12-2011, 18:37
MG any news on the oppo's?:eyebrows:

jon

Mark Grant
13-12-2011, 18:42
Oppo are despatching the new delivery to dealers from tomorrow onwards so sometime this week :)

Reid Malenfant
13-12-2011, 18:43
Oppo are despatching the new delivery to dealers from tomorrow onwards so sometime this week :)
You've got my phone number haven't you Mark ;)

jon1
13-12-2011, 18:45

So it is looking good for the back end of this week mark?:eyebrows:

jon

jon1
13-12-2011, 18:47

Mark you do not miss a thing:lolsign:BTW he has mislaid you phone number:ner::D

jon

Mark Grant
13-12-2011, 18:55

Not sure, are you looking to buy something :scratch:

jon1
13-12-2011, 18:58
Not sure, are you looking to buy something :scratch:

Mark did you say all the oppo 95's are spoken for?:violin:

jon

Mark Grant
13-12-2011, 19:03
Just messing, everyone waiting will get there Oppo before Christmas.
:)

jon1
13-12-2011, 19:04
Just messing, everyone waiting will get there Oppo before Christmas.
:)

2011 or 2012:lolsign:

jon

Reid Malenfant
14-12-2011, 18:50
I received your PM Mark, I can't reply as you need to clear some space :eyebrows:

I'm in so phone away :)

Mark Grant
15-12-2011, 14:17
Despatched :)

Reid Malenfant
15-12-2011, 18:44
Despatched :)
:cheers:

:mex:

jon1
15-12-2011, 19:14
:cheers:

:mex:

Mark you are doing the first review:eyebrows::D

jon

Reid Malenfant
15-12-2011, 19:16
Just for you John :D

jon1
15-12-2011, 19:20
Just for you John :D

Stick the tiesto elements of life on:eyebrows:the get back to me:D..BTW ENJOY;)

jon

jon1
15-12-2011, 20:01
Mark you can get it up graded here..http://www.russandrews.com/product-Russ-Andrews-OPPO-BDP-95EU-Upgrade-8604.htm

jon

Reid Malenfant
15-12-2011, 20:10
DIY matey, besides which the Oppo on its way to me (probably the one you are getting to) already has the zone free mods ;)

I don't need any kind of funky mains filtering as I already power the front end via a PS Audio P600 & then into Belkin PF40s to isolate & filter everything from each other.

So it looks like just capacitors are the order of the day, well how about regulators as well after the warranty expires... That's two years away though :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to live with it :rfl:

jon1
15-12-2011, 20:14
DIY matey, besides which the Oppo on its way to me (probably the one you are getting to) already has the zone free mods ;)

I don't need any kind of funky mains filtering as I already power the front end via a PS Audio P600 & then into Belkin PF40s to isolate & filter everything from each other.

So it looks like just capacitors are the order of the day, well how about regulators as well after the warranty expires... That's two years away though :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to live with it :rfl:

I don't think you are missing much mark;) the mods dvd only for me..not bluray:eyebrows:..no region ones

jon

Reid Malenfant
15-12-2011, 20:22
You sinner :whippin:

Ah well, more region A BDs for me on fleabay going cheap, well me & Martin (MartinT) :rfl:

jon1
15-12-2011, 20:25
You sinner :whippin:

Ah well, more region A BDs for me on fleabay going cheap, well me & Martin (MartinT) :rfl:

I can take it:spank::D

jon

MartinT
15-12-2011, 20:55
Ooh, I wouldn't buy any machine without regions A/B/1/2 these days. So much stuff available in the USA and I like buying when I'm over there.

jon1
15-12-2011, 21:01
Ooh, I wouldn't buy any machine without regions A/B/1/2 these days. So much stuff available in the USA and I like buying when I'm over there.

Martin i had plenty of region A... bluray films when i had the oppo 83;)..But sold it and the films went with it:eyebrows:..i will just stick to region B for now

jon

Reid Malenfant
15-12-2011, 21:11
I must admit I don't get over there too often, read never :eyebrows:

Martin i had plenty of region A... bluray films when i had the oppo 83;)..But sold it and the films went with it:eyebrows:..i will just stick to region B for now

jon
Well I keep picking up some bargains... One of the last BDs I purchased was for 99p ;) Hurricane Season (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172998/) with Forest Whitaker (one of my favourite actors) & region A only.

You might be able to take it John, I still feel your pain though :violin:

jon1
16-12-2011, 18:18
Well mark first impressions:eyebrows:Give

jon

Reid Malenfant
16-12-2011, 18:35
It sounds like a pretty expensive CD player, though I'm using the balanced outputs for two channel audio. I reckon it'd give a £700 CD player a good run for it's money, might even show it a clean pair of heals :eyebrows: Incredible soundstage, I think you'll be quite gobsmacked - I know I am!

SACD playback is outstanding & frankly makes mincemeat of my Denon ;)

It sounds excellent spinning MP3 CDs, again far better than the Denon or Panasonic did - looks like the Sabre DAC is doing the business.

DVD upscaling is better than anything I have seen excepting very expensive video scalers.

Blu ray is staggering in all honesty :eek: You'll marvel at the colours that this player can put out, be they on DVD or BD. It looks to be very well set up straight out of the box so I'm not sure how much in the way of alterations I'll need to do to the TV to calibrate it? :scratch: Not a lot I don't think...

It's not just the colours either, the picture quality is the best I have seen from blu ray. I honesty didn't think it would make much difference, but I'd have been happy with the increase in picture quality for the money :eyebrows:

I haven't spun Tiesto yet as I'm having a lot of fun with everything else.

Dead easy to set up to, I just took a glance through the manual & haven't refered to it since. Superb GUI makes things so easy it's unreal ;)

These things are a serious bargain at the price :rfl:

jon1
16-12-2011, 18:39
It sounds like a pretty expensive CD player, though I'm using the balanced outputs for two channel audio. I reckon it'd give a £700 CD player a good run for it's money, might even show it a clean pair of heals :eyebrows: Incredible soundstage, I think you'll be quite gobsmacked - I know I am!

SACD playback is outstanding & frankly makes mincemeat of my Denon ;)

It sounds excellent spinning MP3 CDs, again far better than the Denon or Panasonic did - looks like the Sabre DAC is doing the business.

DVD upscaling is better than anything I have seen excepting very expensive video scalers.

Blu ray is staggering in all honesty :eek: You'll marvel at the colours that this player can put out, be they on DVD or BD. It looks to be very well set up straight out of the box so I'm not sure how much in the way of alterations I'll need to do to the TV to calibrate it? :scratch: Not a lot I don't think...

It's not just the colours either, the picture quality is the best I have seen from blu ray. I honesty didn't think it would make much difference, but I'd have been happy with the increase in picture quality for the money :eyebrows:

I haven't spun Tiesto yet as I'm having a lot of fun with everything else.

Dead easy to set up to, I just took a glance through the manual & haven't refered to it since. Superb GUI makes things so easy it's unreal ;)

These things are a serious bargain at the price :rfl:

One happy camper mark?:eyebrows:Mark what is the sound stage like on dvd&blurays?..better than the panasonic?

jon

Reid Malenfant
16-12-2011, 18:41
It is on SACD 5.1 yes, can't tell you about DVDs or BDs yet as I haven't tried it with surround sound yet. When I watched the DVD & BD I used the TV speakers :eyebrows:

jon1
16-12-2011, 18:45
It is on SACD 5.1 yes, can't tell you about DVDs or BDs yet as I haven't tried it with surround sound yet. When I watched the DVD & BD I used the TV speakers :eyebrows:

I will have to try sacd 5.1..got war of the worlds coming 5.1 sacd;)....Let me know in a weeks time about dvd&bluray:D..in your setup

jon

Reid Malenfant
16-12-2011, 18:48
That SACD isn't very good for 5.1 sound John. In a way it sounds worse than a CD :(

Play it in stereo & all will be well.

Get yourself DSOTM m8 & then your talking! That really is something to behold :D

Why do you want to know about sound quality of DVDs & BDs in a weeks time? :scratch:

jon1
16-12-2011, 18:56
That SACD isn't very good for 5.1 sound John. In a way it sounds worse than a CD :(

Play it in stereo & all will be well.

Get yourself DSOTM m8 & then your talking! That really is something to behold :D

Why do you want to know about sound quality of DVDs & BDs in a weeks time? :scratch:

When you get round to testing one properly:eyebrows::D..BTW dark side of the moon?

jon

Reid Malenfant
16-12-2011, 19:02
Yes, the 30th anniversary SACD. Highly recommended, you'll probably pick one up off of ebay for around £7 if you are lucky or patient...

:doh: Forgot, you don't do patience :eyebrows:

By the way, HDCDs sound superb :D

jon1
16-12-2011, 19:06
Yes, the 30th anniversary SACD. Highly recommended, you'll probably pick one up off of ebay for around £7 if you are lucky or patient...

:doh: Forgot, you don't do patience :eyebrows:

By the way, HDCDs sound superb :D

Just had a look on ebay;)

jon

Reid Malenfant
24-01-2012, 16:21
Something else I have noticed about this player that is rather handy :) With the Panny if it was playing a DVD or BD that happened to be a 4:3 frame it'd put up a grey splash screen either side of the 4:3 picture that'd fill in up to the 16/9 frame - which was damn annoying :steam:

I think this is set to auto detect the frame size (pretty sure I left it that way in the settings) & it thankfully leaves things black out of the 4:3 frame :D

Much improvement :eyebrows:

It was kind of doubly worse with my TV as it's 21/9, so it'd throw up the 4:3 pic, grey either side of that to 16/9 & then black bars either side of that to 21/9 :rolleyes: :mental:

MartinT
24-01-2012, 17:18
Mark - grey is often used for this function as it is mid-brightness and therefore neutral, to prevent screen burn (especially with plasma sets). Harsh black borders, if viewed frequently, could cause nasty visible lines down your screen when viewing full 16:9 material.

Reid Malenfant
24-01-2012, 17:21
On a plasma yes, must admit I didn't think about that as I have an LCD jobby :D

Good point, give me black though ;)