PDA

View Full Version : TransFi TURNTABLE PLATTER MAT...... THE 'RESO-MAT'

jandl100
07-12-2011, 14:47
Well, here's something interesting.

Adventurous as ever, this eBay item caught my attention, and for £35.00 UK delivered (with refund option) I thought I'd give it a go. :)

It's kind of odd and seems to hark back to the days of the old Michell turntables with their 'minimum surface contact' philiosophy - the opposite of what tends to be thought of as good practice these days. :scratch:

The LP is supported on 9 little black cones.

Mounted atop my well glued-down Funk Achromat on my Pioneer PL600X direct drive tt it's made a definite and worthwhile improvement in all areas.
The sound is faster, more open, more transparent. Everything sounds better defined and more articulate.

You can't use any clamping system, though, so warped records have to stay as warped as before.

Well worth exploring. :thumbsup:!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF7339.jpg

and a close up of the little support cones ...
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF7338-1.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TransFi-TURNTABLE-PLATTER-MAT-RESO-MAT-/180758760125?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item2a160fcabd

Marco
07-12-2011, 15:01
Never mind that pish, daftee (as interesting as it is), how does the Zu 103 sound? :eyebrows:

Marco.

jandl100
07-12-2011, 15:03
Never mind that pish, daftee (as interesting as it is), how does the Zu 103 sound? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Nya nya - ya missed it! :ner:

Check out my ongoing system thread in the Gallery section. ;)

... and thanks for moving the thread to the reviews section!

John
07-12-2011, 15:11
Its a really good Matt I found it to be very effective Jerry and even seems to help modern recordings.
I think the basic concept came from Mark YNWAN but develop to work across the whole record. Its a simple approach but seems to really help on a lot of platters

YNWaN
07-12-2011, 15:19
And the design it is based on:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/6-3.jpg

Marco
07-12-2011, 15:20
Nya nya - ya missed it! :ner:

Check out my ongoing system thread in the Gallery section. ;)

Ah, oi mished it, soz ah did... Had a quick squinto, looks like I was right again! :eyebrows:

Nice one - enjoy... Just popping out for a bit. I'll comment on your thread there later.

Marco.

keiths
07-12-2011, 15:24
I too have being trying the Reso-mat on my Lenco and I absolutely agree with Jerry - a big all-round improvement. 'Faster' is definately the first thing that you notice together with tighter bass and more detail.

I believe Vic intends them to be used without any other mat underneath so that the record is coupled directly to the platter via the little plastic cones - that's how I'm using mine. I was concerned initially that the mat wouldn't provide sufficient damping for the ringy platter, but those fears appear unfounded as I can't hear any ringing or other adverse effects.

Vic also recommends that suitable packing is used with platters with centre indentations - I used three circles of thin model maker's plastic card glued together (and glued to the platter with spray mount) on my Lenco platter.

Mine's the black mat with black cones - it's also available white on black, white on white and black on white.

http://www.simister.com/public/reso-mat.jpg

Very impressed with mine.

jandl100
07-12-2011, 15:26
Hmm. :hmm: Damn, maybe I should have got a black one?

Still, they all look the same when an LP is on top. :)

John
07-12-2011, 15:28
Yes heard this on a few Lencos now and seems to really help. Looks good in black
But nice to hear that it seems to work well with direct drives too

morris_minor
07-12-2011, 19:35
So is it best to closely couple your record with your heavy platter or virtually suspend it in thin air?

I vote this as the next question in QI for the "nobody knows" answer :lol: :scratch: :doh:

John
07-12-2011, 19:45
It goes against conventional wisdom but works well

Clive
07-12-2011, 19:52
Having tried loads of mats I wouldn't now use anything else. A lot of the conventional wisdom I feel is mis-guided. Mark's mat works very well, I feel Vic's copes better with troublesome records but relative to conventional mats they do similar things - they cut away bloom and colouration.

jandl100
07-12-2011, 22:40
Well, I thought the Funk Achromat was well and truly stuck to my platter so I had no choice but to use it as described.

However ... judicious and careful use of a screwdriver and off pops the Achromat! :) ... I'm currently having a first listen to the Reso-mat straight on to the platter, as recommended by the manufacturer .... even cleaner, less bloom to the sound, better focus, more explicit.

No doubt about it - the Reso-mat has been a substantial upgrade for my LP playback system.

jandl100
07-12-2011, 22:43
Actually, you can use a weight with the Reso-mat.

Not sure I want to though - it sounds a tad more open without one.

Tarzan
07-12-2011, 22:47
Oh no...... how many T/T mats do l need- well you cannot have enough can you;)

Marco
08-12-2011, 08:13
Nice find this, Jerry, although I knew of its existence, as people like John and Clive had been using it for a while, and also Mark with a similar design of mat of his own.

I can see it working in most set-ups, as its design principles are sound. I may try one at some point, as curiosity will likely get the better of me, but at the moment I'm absolutely delighted with the sound I'm getting from my Techy.

The 5mm Achromat I'm using interfaces superbly with my Funk Firm platter (as you would expect), as they were designed to work together, and there is real synergy in that respect, without any hint of bloom, lack of focus or detail whatsoever. Therefore, there is seemingly nothing really to 'fix'.

However, as I do enjoy experimenting with these things, because that's the only way you learn, it would be interesting to test the coupling method with vinyl (such as I adopt now, with the Achromat firmly bonded to my platter and a Michell record clamp close-coupling records to the mat), against the decoupling method offered by the RESO-MAT.

Perhaps we could try this at Scalford? :)

Marco.

Clive
08-12-2011, 08:48
Hi Marco, the Achromat was one of the mats I tried, I have two, I've had them since Arthur first introduced them. With my two decks the synergy wasn't there, I liked some of the things they did though. Here we have 2 different approaches, it's good to have clear differences, it makes choices easier. Whether the Reso-mat synergises with the Techie hopefully will become clear soon!

John
08-12-2011, 09:34
We could compare and contrast on the 1210 and Salvation it would be an interesting experiment on different approaches to platter design and what matt works best with each design

Marco
08-12-2011, 09:41
Good idea, John. Sounds like there will be quite a few fun comparisons to make at Scalford! :)

Clive are you coming this year, too? :cool:

Marco.

Clive
08-12-2011, 10:09
Clive are you coming this year, too? :cool:

Marco.
If I can work something with relatives close by I may well make it.

jandl100
10-12-2011, 10:14
Another couple of days' listening have gone by, and I'm finding the Reso-mat on the bare platter of my tt a bit tonally stark and the sound is less involving and interesting.

To be fair, the platter on the Jap direct drives that I love tend to ring a bit, and do need some damping. The Reso-mat does nothing in the way of platter damping.

So I put the Pioneer's rubber mat on with the Reso-mat on top of that. (And, yes, I always adjusted the VTA accordingly. ;))
Ah, that's better. :) Some platter damping with the Reso-mat on top and all is well again.

John
10-12-2011, 11:15
shame its not working for you but if under a week Vic will gladly refund money

jandl100
10-12-2011, 11:18
shame its not working for you but if under a week Vic will gladly refund money

Who me? :scratch:

It's working just fine for me, thanks! :thumbsup: - I just need to make sure that my rather 'ringy' platter is damped as well. :)

John
10-12-2011, 11:23
ahh sorry miss understood Jerry

jandl100
10-12-2011, 11:57
ahh sorry miss understood Jerry

No - easily done! I've modified my post #21 to make my thoughts clearer. :)

YNWaN
10-12-2011, 12:26
I'm not a fan of this layering of mats and certainly my own design is intended to make direct contact with the platter. Using a mat is not the appropriate way to damp a platter in my view, such damping is better placed under the platter, or preferably not required in the first place.

jandl100
10-12-2011, 12:34
Yes, I agree in principle, Mark - but, as they say, we are where we are. And I do currently have a tt with a platter that rings - and damping it is audibly beneficial. And placing the Reso-mat on top of a damping mat makes the sound better. Sort of 2 wrongs making a sort of right. :)
Would a better platter design be superior? I am sure that it would.

YNWaN
10-12-2011, 12:37
Can you not apply damping to the underside of the platter and do away with the rubber mat?

To be honest, I would say that your TT is an economy too far; no amount of mat experimentation will overcome its inherent limitations.

jandl100
10-12-2011, 12:45
Can you not apply damping to the underside of the platter and do away with the rubber mat?

Yes, I could look into that.

To be honest, I would say that your TT is an economy too far; no amount of mat experimentation will overcome its inherent limitations.

You would perhaps call it a mullet of a turntable.
But then that should go well with my mullet of a system. ;)

But I've recently owned a standard Techie 1210, and the Pioneer is certainly comparable with that in terms of sound quality.
And David Price likes it, too. http://twitpic.com/duwnc

keiths
10-12-2011, 13:17
I've been playing with various mats underneath my Reso-mat and, despite the ringy Lenco platter, I still much prefer to use mine directly on the platter. My Lenco's platter does have some additional damping in the form of 3 large rubber 'O' rings around its periphery.

YNWaN
10-12-2011, 14:14
You would perhaps call it a mullet of a turntable.
But then that should go well with my mullet of a system. ;)

Umm...well, now you mention it, yes I would probably refer to both the TT and the system in that way.

jandl100
10-12-2011, 14:18
Umm...well, now you mention it, yes I would probably refer to both the TT and the system in that way.

Damn - you can't give reps on AoS. :( ... but have a :thumbsup: for honesty.

I think that you and I will just have to agree to differ on things audio, Mark. :)

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 14:25
Very impressed with mine.

Suspending a record aint new..Not a million miles from The B&O Beogram '1200' idea or even the Transcriptor record support layout.

keiths
10-12-2011, 14:40
Suspending a record aint new..Not a million miles from The B&O Beogram '1200' idea or even the Transcriptor record support layout.

Yep, you're right André. I also remember Ken Kessler going on about using 3 watch winding crowns under the record label in the later 80's.

Clive
10-12-2011, 15:09
Here's similar mat + weight....$285.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/PHONOPHILE-Integrated-Record-Coupling-System/productinfo/IRCS-STAND/

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/images/IRC-IM.jpg

YNWaN
10-12-2011, 16:34
That last mat isn't quite the same thing though (it seems to me), the description suggests to me that the record actually rests on a 12" clear plastic disk that itself makes contact with the platter via 5 dots.

Most of the systems is the past used a compliant interface between the record (rubber nibs), I found that non-compliant nibs perform better. In addition, past implementations of point contact mats have also been associated with low mass platters and whilst low mass is a good thing (in my opinion), it will interact with motor stability. It was popular, for example, to add a glass mat to the Michell (I have one); however, I suspect that the subsequent increased mass of the platter had more to do with any perceived benefit that the record interface.

Anyway, that's enough promotion of other peoples products for me - I'll leave it that (no doubt I'll see the above quoted elsewhere in the future).

I think that you and I will just have to agree to differ on things audio, Mark. :)

Jerry, I came to that conclusion some time ago (and probably with regard to more than just audio).

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 17:03
It was popular, for example, to add a glass mat to the Michell (I have one); however, I suspect that the subsequent increased mass of the platter had more to do with any perceived benefit that the record interface.

Thats right i had a smoked glass mat that sat on the Michell 'Hydraulic'

Clive
10-12-2011, 19:38
That last mat isn't quite the same thing though (it seems to me), the description suggests to me that the record actually rests on a 12" clear plastic disk that itself makes contact with the platter via 5 dots.

I suspect they chickened out of a purist approach for doubters who worry about small contact areas touching the grooves. This could well be the result of productisation.

MWalt
26-12-2011, 19:44
The Technics SL-1200 version of this mat should be out soon. According to the vendor, it will be 12mm in diameter smaller, thus able to fit flat on the platter and avoiding the raised outer edge of the platter. I am buying one as soon as he puts them up for sale.

MCRU
27-12-2011, 18:48
This mat has been on this forum before, I bought one about 3 moths ago, its still in the box, it came out once and went straight back in, nothing of interest resulted on all my TT's, personally I would not call it a stroke of genius, sure it probably works well on some TT's but I could not detect any improvements at all in my system.

Clive
27-12-2011, 18:52
Interesting. Did it at least sound different to your other mats? What mats did you compare it with?

MCRU
27-12-2011, 18:57
Interesting. Did it at least sound different to your other mats? What mats did you compare it with?

Oyaide MJ-12, Blue Horizon, Herbies, Technics Felt Mat, Technics Rubber Mat, with and without weights on my 1210 and my 401 when it had its wooden plinth, I ran it on the top of the Oyaide for a while but did not think much of it.

As I still have it somewhere I may get it back out this week if I have time and try it straight on top of the SRM Tech arcylic platter to see if that does anything, I have been listening to that for quite some time and did not think to try the reso-mat on the Arezzo so that may prove interesting.

Clive
27-12-2011, 19:04
Oyaide MJ-12, Blue Horizon, Herbies, Technics Felt Mat, Technics Rubber Mat, with and without weights on my 1210 and my 401 when it had its wooden plinth, I ran it on the top of the Oyaide for a while but did not think much of it.

As I still have it somewhere I may get it back out this week if I have time and try it straight on top of the SRM Tech arcylic platter to see if that does anything, I have been listening to that for quite some time and did not think to try the reso-mat on the Arezzo so that may prove interesting.
Difficult for you to comment as you sell at least 2 of those mats and they are considerably more expensive than the Trans-Fi. If the Oyaide is any good I wouldn't expect another mat to be good on top of it, especially when it's something like 10 times the price of the Reso, and that's without the weight!

John
27-12-2011, 19:08
Dave just try it on the platter directly without other mats maybe it work maybe it will not

YNWaN
27-12-2011, 19:45
I suspect they chickened out of a purist approach for doubters who worry about small contact areas touching the grooves. This could well be the result of productisation.

Yes, that is also as I suspect - unfortunately, in attempting to produce something less 'challenging', I suspect they have also diluted the principles until there is virtually nothing of value left.

This mat has been on this forum before, I bought one about 3 moths ago, its still in the box, it came out once and went straight back in, nothing of interest resulted on all my TT's, personally I would not call it a stroke of genius, sure it probably works well on some TT's but I could not detect any improvements at all in my system.

As Clive implies above, I would take your comments more seriously if you didn't have a vested interest in promoting the mats you sell. I can't help but think that if it had Iridium plated points and random holes cut in it you would be proclaiming it as the second coming of the analogue Lord (assuming you distributed it of course). Perhaps if you removed some of the 'fancy' cables, doo-dads and other unnecessary ephemera from you system, the benefits would be more apparent?

For what it is worth, I genuinely have no financial interest in this mat - or any mat for that matter.

Clive
27-12-2011, 19:48
Yes, that is also as I suspect - unfortunately, in attempting to produce something less 'challenging', I suspect they have also diluted the principles until there is virtually nothing of value left.
Agreed!

WOStantonCS100
28-12-2011, 16:10
Generally, I get on with anything that Vic produces, great stuff. However, asthetically, this mat is a challenge I don't think I'll be able to overcome. Still, I understand the concept (I think). More "air" beneath the record, less contact with the platter, lessens the chance of the platter exhibiting it's character on vinyl playback. My own experiences using the stock Techy heavy mat with and without a felt mat in between have proven that to me. Without the felt in between the sound is "rubbery". That disappears with felt in between, even when using a record weight. This is where I suspect the Reso-Mat excels, doing away with the sonic signature of the platter during vinyl playback. Felt on a bare "ringy" platter, such as the Techies, doesn't work for me. I can certainly see where one might not prefer the Reso-Mat on a bare "ringy" platter.

I also, by listening, hear the other argument. A heavier weight vinyl (of the same pressing/same mastering) sounds, ummm, more robust and louder to me, if that makes sense. So, using a mat that matches the vinyl can play a sympathetic role as a heavy pressing. If it also damps a ringy platter at the same time, all the better, though a tougher task.

The only thing I've really come away with, after racking my brain about the whole "which mat to choose, if any at all" question is... ...if you like the way it sounds in your ears, it is the right mat (or platter). I don't think any manufacturer is going to prove theirs is best, on paper. Just my unnecessary two cents. :)

John
28-12-2011, 16:23
it will always come down to your system and how you enjoy hearing music
Personally I think with the money back offer there no harm in trying

keiths
28-12-2011, 16:30
I'm still lovin' mine - even on the 'ringy' Lenco platter with no other mat, it sounds better than any other mat or combination of mats I've tried.

I also like the way it looks (black mat with black cones), and there are no problems with it scratching records - and I tend leave the platter spinning when changing records.

jandl100
28-12-2011, 16:33
Simon / Griffo visited me in Jerry Towers today. :)

We did a mat comparison on my Pioneer PL-71 (sad folk that we are!).
Pioneer rubber-ribbed mat, Funk Achromat & Reso-mat.

Surprisingly, not much difference betwixt the Pioneer rubber job and the Achromat.
But we both felt that the Reso-mat was superior, and not by a small margin.

It definitely significantly narrowed the gap between the PL71 and Simon's Michell Orbe SE which he had brought along. I heard improvements in overall tonal balance (the Reso-mat giving a fuller, richer sound) and more realistic layering of images.

Hopefully, Simon will add some comments. :)

griffo104
28-12-2011, 23:10
first big thanks to Jerry for his kind hospitality today and for what are possibly the best speakers i've heard domestically. I loved to them.

As for the mats well i was surprised at the resomat. The track that tiggered it was art blakey's night in tunisia. On the pioneer it was far too forward with some of the insruments too far behind the mix. The achromat, imo, did nothing but the resomat really organised the presentation, more bass and it wad tighter and more of someone playing it while the instruments were more where they should be in the mix. Much better.

Poor Jerry seemed to be almost in pain first time through. Very impressed with the mat and if i had a deck needing a mat i'd be out buying one

chelsea
29-12-2011, 21:17
Did you use the reso straight on the platter or with a mat underneath the reso?

jandl100
05-01-2012, 07:49
Oops - just spotted this - straight on to the platter, Stu.

AudioFreak
06-01-2012, 19:41
I have been watching this thread for a while and thought I know I am new to this forum, but I feel I have to offer my findings.

I have one of the Reso-Mats on my Systemdek along with three Isolation spikes and shoes from the same guy.

I have found that the Reso-Mat improved the sound over the standard felt mat, though I have not tried any other mats on my turntable. With any changes I make to my TT I play various recordings that tend to show up any negative results, the best of which I found is Weather Reports Heavy Weather, with so many instruments playing as loudly all at once, if all is not good the music gets very muddy.

Overall it has improved the soundstage to a new level, the bass is tighter, treble is still a little bright but under better control, the mids seem to be where the main improvement has shown, any muddiness has all but disappeared.

I dare say that other mats would also improve the sound over the Reso-Mat, but for the price paid I doubt they could compete in value. :)

Alex_UK
06-01-2012, 21:42
I have been watching this thread for a while and thought I know I am new to this forum, but I feel I have to offer my findings.

Hi Gary - no need to feel that just because you are new you can't put your opinions forward - indeed it is positively encouraged -and it makes a nice change from the usual boring old farts! ;)

:lol:

AudioFreak
07-01-2012, 16:39
:lol: thanks Alex..... All opinions are valid in my book, I can be a boring old fart at times too ;)

worrasf
07-01-2012, 16:55
Just ordered one - will be interesting to see how it performs atop my Vanatage Audio platter avec et sans Achromat.

Steve

DSJR
07-01-2012, 17:30
Hi Gary and welcome :)

I'd rather have clarity and a little "brightness" on vinyl myself, than a dull and rounded presentation with emphasised bass (distortion). A personal matter of course and very much a matter of degree, but just my feeling..

John
07-01-2012, 17:52
The reso matt does not make the sound dull in fact it helps to ckear up distorations

jandl100
07-01-2012, 18:30
The reso matt does make the sound dull ....

Errr ... are you sure you meant to say that, John?! :scratch::eyebrows:

... or are you confussed again? :lol:

John
07-01-2012, 18:36
:doh:Opps

worrasf
11-01-2012, 10:23
My Resomat arrived very quickly - excellent customer service and communications from Vic.

First impressions are most favourable. I am using it directly on top of the Vantage Audio platter. So, in comparison to the Achromat bass is firmer and extends lower, more texture to kick drum and cello/double bass. Presentation is slightly forward with a sense of more space around instruments - perhaps a little more "zing" to cymbals/tambourine etc. I also think data retrieval is enhanced. On side 1 Floyd's DSOTM in the airport I'm pretty sure the announcement in the back ground says "follow the green line to customs and immigration" - I've never before been able to "decipher" the follow the green line bit. Of course I could be totally wrong and she is saying something totally different - I'm sure someone will comment :eyebrows:
Overall, I find the presenattion more pleasing with the Resomat than the Achromat (not necessarily better - but different). Before anyone asks/suggests I'm not going down the road of using both at the same time :)

The only downside I've noticed is that surface noise is more prominent with the Resomat.

For the next few weeks I'll leave the Resomat in situ then switch back to the Achromat to see if these initial impressions remain.

:idea: Update - just tried the Resomat on the TD150 which currently has a cork/rubber composite mat - again huge improvement in all areas. However, the aesthetics of the Resomat on the "vintage" TD 150 just don't cut it so I tried the Achromat and this also sounded much better than the cork mat - the difference between the Resomat and Achromat on the TD 150 were (to my ears) much smaller than on the Technics so i can live with the "compromise" of having the Achromat on the Thorens.

Steve

Steve

Marco
15-01-2012, 18:01
Hi Steve,

Interesting observations....

For the next few weeks I'll leave the Resomat in situ then switch back to the Achromat to see if these initial impressions remain.

That's *always* the best way to genuinely assess whether any improvements are genuine, imagined or otherwise, with any new 'tweak' carried out - and much more meaningful to an audio and music enthusiast than any amount of pointless (and fatally flawed) double-blind testing! ;)

Marco.

Nigel
15-01-2012, 19:28
Does the Resomat sound similar to the Ringmat?

John
15-01-2012, 20:27
nope a lot more open imho

worrasf
22-01-2012, 15:51
In a strange way I really didn't want to like the Resomat - it just seemed too flimsy - almost a joke in design philosophy and construction. Counter to all the other mats I've tried (Herbies, Achomat, cork composite, origin live, technics) with or without clamping - it's also IMHO aesthetically challenged. However, after a week or so in use my initial thoughts have been confirmed. It does sound better than the others I've tried on the Technics. It sounds so much more open and "airy" - the Achromatic in comparison sounds "boxed in and choked" -
Bass control and extension is better and there's more life and zing to percussion - its just so much more atmospheric - particularly evident on the LZ BBC sessions. What's "odd" is that I have not heard the same improvement on the Thorens where I've actually gone back to the cork composite mat which seems to give the best results so clearly there are compatibility differences depending on suspension/drive/platter types and what suits my Technics with the VA platter may not be others experience with different setups but I'm really pleased with the improvement and for now at least the Achomat is back in its sleeve.

I've asked Vic at Inspire if he can supply me a set of the acrylic cones as I'm minded to try them "bonded" (a dab of silicone should suffice and would beveasily removed) direct onto the VA copper platter. Theoretically should soundvthevsame as the Resomat but will allow the beautiful copper platter to be seen.
Steve

Spectral Morn
22-01-2012, 23:19
In a strange way I really didn't want to like the Resomat - it just seemed too flimsy - almost a joke in design philosophy and construction. Counter to all the other mats I've tried (Herbies, Achomat, cork composite, origin live, technics) with or without clamping - it's also IMHO aesthetically challenged. However, after a week or so in use my initial thoughts have been confirmed. It does sound better than the others I've tried on the Technics. It sounds so much more open and "airy" - the Achromatic in comparison sounds "boxed in and choked" -
Bass control and extension is better and there's more life and zing to percussion - its just so much more atmospheric - particularly evident on the LZ BBC sessions. What's "odd" is that I have not heard the same improvement on the Thorens where I've actually gone back to the cork composite mat which seems to give the best results so clearly there are compatibility differences depending on suspension/drive/platter types and what suits my Technics with the VA platter may not be others experience with different setups but I'm really pleased with the improvement and for now at least the Achomat is back in its sleeve.

I've asked Vic at Inspire if he can supply me a set of the acrylic cones as I'm minded to try them "bonded" (a dab of silicone should suffice and would beveasily removed) direct onto the VA copper platter. Theoretically should soundvthevsame as the Resomat but will allow the beautiful copper platter to be seen.
Steve

Interested to read how that works, interesting.

Regards D S D L

Clive
23-01-2012, 09:34

Steve
Experimentation is always worthy. It'll be interesting to know ow this works out. My expectation is that bonding the cones to a mat will couple them tightly and they will inherit most of the characteristics of the mat. The "flimsy" mat is intended to be loosely coupled. Maybe Vic can source a transparent sheet for the mat allowing you to see you copper mat?

jandl100
23-01-2012, 09:42
.... It does sound better than the others I've tried on the Technics. It sounds so much more open and "airy" - the Achromatic in comparison sounds "boxed in and choked"

Yup, that's what I find on my Pioneer PL-71

In fact I do wonder if Richard (Gromit) would have been quite so sure he wanted rid of the PL-71 if he'd heard it with a Resomat! :whistle:

.... I've asked Vic at Inspire if he can supply me a set of the acrylic cones as I'm minded to try them "bonded" (a dab of silicone should suffice and would beveasily removed) direct onto the VA copper platter. Theoretically should soundvthevsame as the Resomat but will allow the beautiful copper platter to be seen.
Steve

:D Amazingly good idea.

I await with baited breath!
I must admit I am regretting a little going for the white mat. It seemed a neat idea at the time, but I'd go for the black mat if I did it again.
Actually, there's a slight Techie-style lip at the rim of the PL-71 platter and a Techie-sized Resomat might well sit a little better ... I understand these should be available shortly ... if so, I will defo invest in an all-black one. :)

worrasf
23-01-2012, 18:47
Yup, that's what I find on my Pioneer PL-71

In fact I do wonder if Richard (Gromit) would have been quite so sure he wanted rid of the PL-71 if he'd heard it with a Resomat! :whistle:

I must admit I am regretting a little going for the white mat. It seemed a neat idea at the time, but I'd go for the black mat if I did it again.
Actually, there's a slight Techie-style lip at the rim of the PL-71 platter and a Techie-sized Resomat might well sit a little better ... I understand these should be available shortly ... if so, I will defo invest in an all-black one. :)

Vic says yes and thinks should work the same - cones are on their way to me as I write - think ill use some double sided sticky tape to start with. Will report findings in due course.
Steve

chelsea
23-01-2012, 20:49
Will have to give one a try sometime on my pl 71.
Sounds promising.

YNWaN
23-01-2012, 20:49
I was about to suggest double sided tape instead of silicone.

worrasf
23-01-2012, 20:59
I was about to suggest double sided tape instead of silicone.

:hifives:

Steve

worrasf
24-01-2012, 19:59

Your breath baiting is at an end - it works a treat :)
All the sonic qualities of the Resomat and I can show off my lovely copper platter :cool:

I tried it with and without a record clamp/weight - definitely better sans clamp. Adding the clamp immediately choked the midrange and smeared the bass lines - night & day difference there.

Steve

Clive
24-01-2012, 20:16
Your breath baiting is at an end - it works a treat :)
All the sonic qualities of the Resomat and I can show off my lovely copper platter :cool:

I tried it with and without a record clamp/weight - definitely better sans clamp. Adding the clamp immediately choked the midrange and smeared the bass lines - night & day difference there.

Steve
Well done, a great result!

John
24-01-2012, 20:27
Looking good Steve

worrasf
24-01-2012, 20:30
Clive - John - thanks guys. Might not be the "well trodden path" but I'm convinced it works for me.

Next project - just acquired a pair of Rogers JR 149's for a good price - bound to need a bit of sorting before I'm happy :)

Steve

John
24-01-2012, 21:02
I usually prefer the path least taken too A good audio system should have bits of your personality in it

worrasf
24-01-2012, 21:24
Nicely put John. I think that's one of the reasons I turned away from my LP12/IttokTroika and Naim 32.5/HiCap/250 - truth be told it sounded bloody good but the world and his dog had the same kit and wobetide you if you deviated from Ivor's path to Nirvana
Steve

jandl100
28-01-2012, 19:40
A Reso-mat for Technics 1210/1200 is now available. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESO-MAT-TURNTABLE-PLATTER-MAT-TECHNICS-SL1200-GARRARD-401-/170773039621?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item27c2ddca05

Will have to give one a try sometime on my pl 71.
Sounds promising.

I'd advise these for PL-71 as well, Stu, there is a bit of a lip on my PL-71 platter.

MWalt
31-01-2012, 11:12
A Reso-mat for Technics 1210/1200 is now available. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESO-MAT-TURNTABLE-PLATTER-MAT-TECHNICS-SL1200-GARRARD-401-/170773039621?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item27c2ddca05

I'd advise these for PL-71 as well, Stu, there is a bit of a lip on my PL-71 platter.

I have been waiting for this to come out. I am buying one today for my SL-1200 MKII. I will report my findings over the stock rubber mat.

duo(2)
09-03-2012, 16:39
Hi

I have just recived my Reso Mat,
and it works VERY well on my TT, it made big improvements ind the deep tones
Its a real improvement- not something where i have to sit an A/B test to make shure that i´m really hearing what i think i hear :mental:

so absolutely worth the money

jandl100
09-03-2012, 18:00
Excellent, Nikolaj! ... that's a really nice tt you're using it on!

I'm still using my Reso-Mat - I wouldn't be without it! :)

duo(2)
09-03-2012, 21:27
Hi

Thanks, yes its a nice TT - i love it:bum:

Marco
25-04-2014, 15:32
Just a little update to this thread...

I recently bought a Resomat from Vic's shop on ebay (prompted by the results I'd heard with using one on Darren's modded Techy), and after some extensive experimenting with various other mats, on the Mike New platter of my Technics SL-1210, which normally the platter 'rejects', preferring instead to be left 'au naturel', without the use of any additional interfaces between the record and the platter, I can now categorically state that the use of the Resomat has further (and very notably) increased fidelity from my vinyl replay system - and in turn my musical enjoyment.

Such is its fundamental effectiveness, I'd find it hard to imagine how any well-sorted turntable (where the 'sonic signature' of the platter mat wasn't simply being used as a tone control/'bandage', in an attempt to ameliorate sonic aberrations inherent in the partnering T/T and/or system) wouldn't benefit from the use of a Trans-Fi Resomat, as the improvements it imparts across the board, sonically and musically, in my opinion are a total no-brainer.

The first thing one hears when using the Resomat is a notable increase in overall clarity, as a result of a muddiness or veiling (only realised as having existed once eliminated) being removed from the musical presentation, allowing information previously masked by what one can only presume was noise or distortion, to 'jump out' of the mix, and in some cases, shock you. High-frequencies are rendered as sweeter sounding, but with no loss of extension or impact, voices and acoustic instruments sound more convincing and lifelike, and bass is tighter, more tuneful and subjectively has greater extension - all of which quite clearly renders the sound produced by any other mat I've used until now as being artificial and musically inept.

For me, the decoupling method employed by the Resomat is a great success. It has converted me, unequivocally, from previously believing that it made more sense to tightly couple records to platters with the use of a clamp or record weight, especially when it is considered that the mat or platter material is a good impedance match with vinyl itself. Having now heard what the Resomat does, I firmly believe that the decoupling approach makes most sense and offers the most satisfying musical results. As such, the record weights I was using previously have now become redundant, allowing the Resomat to grace my turntable platter unhindered by any unnecessary fripperies.

In my opinion, the Trans-Fi Resomat acts less as a barrier between music that's contained inside the record groves, and what the listener hears at the end of the reproduction chain, than any other turntable mat I've heard to date - and I've been through most of them. In fact it is *so* good that it should almost be considered as the universal mat of choice for all fans of vinyl replay, if the goal is to extract maximum resolution from the format. This applies even to users of Mike New platters on Technics T/Ts, where previously the introduction of other mats was a retrograde step, sonically [Martin T, please take note!]

As such the Resomat deserves my highest recommendation, and at a cost of a mere £35 has to be one of the bargains of the century and cheapest ways of improving the performance from any well-sorted quality turntable. Honestly folks, if you want to hear your treasured black stuff at its best, the Resomat should be considered as a near-mandatory purchase! :)

For more info: http://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

Marco.

John
25-04-2014, 16:00
Welcome to the club
It is a bit of brain F--- when you first hear it.... As I was also brainwashed into thinking you had to have big heavy clamps but been happily using one since they came out

DarrenHW
25-04-2014, 17:46
Well I guess this has gone full circle now as I bought the mat on the strength of the posts on this thread and because it's a bargain and I'm a cheap pr*ck :). I guess Jerry (jandl100) and I have similar tastes as I think I now have one of his old CDP's?

shane
25-04-2014, 18:00
Reminds me of a brief fashion in the late 70s for putting three up-turned drawing pins on the platter so as to support the record at three points around the edge of the label. Users reported similar results to your experience, but the fashion died out for some unaccountable reason.

(For the benefit of our trans-Atlantic cousins, drawing pins are also known as thumb-tacks, I believe).

Marco
25-04-2014, 18:07
Cheers, John!

Hi Darren, yup, the first time when you loaned me your Resomat, I didn't get a chance to listen to it properly. It was only when I was at your place and we were comparing the Resomat with and without the use of my SRM Tech Revolution clamp, that I 'got' exactly what it was doing, which it subsequently also repeated in my system :)

I'm pretty convinced that the Resomat would significantly improve the sound of virtually any turntable.

Marco.

Audio Al
25-04-2014, 18:10
I'm pretty convinced that the Resomat would significantly improve the sound of virtually any turntable.

I have one somewhere :scratch:

Never tried it as it looks a cheap and nasty floppy plastic sheet

Will dig it out and have a go :)

DarrenHW
25-04-2014, 18:26
Reminds me of a brief fashion in the late 70s for putting three up-turned drawing pins on the platter so as to support the record at three points around the edge of the label. Users reported similar results to your experience, but the fashion died out for some unaccountable reason.

(For the benefit of our trans-Atlantic cousins, drawing pins are also known as thumb-tacks, I believe).

Getting "air" under the record was a B&O thing too which is where I was before joining AoS got me hooked on box swapping :). I had previously tried a DIY foam "spotmat" which worked well on other TT's but not so on the Techie.

Hi Darren, yup, the first time when you loaned me your Resomat, I didn't get a chance to listen to it properly. It was only when I was at your place and we were comparing the Resomat with and without the use of my SRM Tech Revolution clamp, that I 'got' exactly what it was doing, which it subsequently also repeated in my system :)

Hi Marco, I had a feeling you weren't done experimenting with the Reso Mat, you could have come round and borrowed mine (I've got enough stuff of yours!) but as you're happy with it I guess it doesn't matter :)

I have one somewhere :scratch:

Never tried it as it looks a cheap and nasty floppy plastic sheet

Will dig it out and have a go :)

Admittedly it's not the best looking mat but I believe the plastic just acts as a "jig" for the spikes (and I think early productions were card), they are available to buy separately I'm sure someone on here has silicone'd some to a copper topped Techie platter.

Marco
25-04-2014, 18:32
Forget about how it looks, Al (I actually quite like it in that respect) - the design is very effective :trust:

Marco.

keiths
25-04-2014, 19:39
Still using mine on my Lenco. Any other mat just sounds 'wrong' in comparison.

YNWaN
25-04-2014, 19:59
How entertaining - Marco, as you know, I have been using a similar minimum contact mat for many, many years and for precisely the reasons you have given. However, a clamp of the right design can enhance the performance of this kind of mat.

Marco
25-04-2014, 21:12
Lol - always pleased to learn, Mark!

Regarding clamps, so far I've found that the Resomat works best without them (at least on my T/T). What would you consider as the "right design"? :)

Marco.

jandl100
26-04-2014, 07:16
:lol: so Marco has finally caught up with me.

Only 2 and a half years late .... ;)

It works great on some decks, not so great on others ime. But well worth a try, cos when it works well it works really well!

YNWaN
26-04-2014, 09:55
Some decks require a bandage and some do not. As far as catching up Jerry, if Marco is 2.5 years late then you were only 5.5 years late yourself ;).

jandl100
26-04-2014, 10:02
Ah well, we get there in the end. :)

Nigel
26-04-2014, 14:07
I just purchased one on the strength of Marco's recommendations. Standard Technics platter, AO RB300, I'm going to be struggling for perfect VTA though. I estimate about 0.7mm short for the ideal. I realize this will entail a compromise but I guess some kind of cardboard might be the best solution. I'll see how it goes, surprised this thread hasn't generated more interest. When I read Marco's comments last night, I thought I had better get a mat to try damn quick before the guy sells out.

rubber duck
26-04-2014, 14:13
Someone please remind me again, is the Reso-mat meant to sit directly on the metal of the SL1200 platter or on whatever mat is already on the platter?

CageyH
26-04-2014, 14:34
So, if I get this right, you upgrade your platter to an expensive version, and then fit a reso-mat on top, completely making the upgraded platter redundant? :eyebrows:

Seriously though, does it really matter what platter this is fitted to, as the interface is now the cone supports?
Does it work just as well on the standard techy platter, and will it save me £500? That buys an awful lot of vinyl.

Nigel
26-04-2014, 14:39
I suspect it will always work better on a superior platter.

rubber duck
26-04-2014, 15:01
Someone please remind me again, is the Reso-mat meant to sit directly on the metal of the SL1200 platter or on whatever mat is already on the platter?

OK I should have read the Transfi website before asking. The mat is designed to sit directly on the SL1200 platter. But without the rubber mat the platter will ring. And will the removal of the rubber mat not reduce platter mass and affect speed stability?

Nigel
26-04-2014, 15:02
Incidentally, when using this mat, is it still necessary to stop the turntable in order to change LP's?

keiths
26-04-2014, 15:11
Incidentally, when using this mat, is it still necessary to stop the turntable in order to change LP's?

No - I always leave the platter running when changing records and haven't damaged a single one in nearly three years of using this mat. It's a bit scary the first time though!

DarrenHW
26-04-2014, 17:49
So, if I get this right, you upgrade your platter to an expensive version, and then fit a reso-mat on top, completely making the upgraded platter redundant? :eyebrows:

Seriously though, does it really matter what platter this is fitted to, as the interface is now the cone supports?
Does it work just as well on the standard techy platter, and will it save me £500? That buys an awful lot of vinyl.

IMO, it sounds far better on the Funk platter than the stock Technics platter (although a vast improvement over the stock Techie mat and the SP10 mat on the stock platter), to my (inexperienced) ears the platter noticeably reduces back ground noise, that's the best way I can describe it :scratch:.

CageyH
26-04-2014, 17:53
That's good enough for me. ;)

Wakefield Turntables
26-04-2014, 17:57
I think for £35 this little platter mat might be worth a pop.

Audio Al
26-04-2014, 18:58
No good if you want to use a carbon brush , The record stops when you apply the brush .:(

Wakefield Turntables
26-04-2014, 19:19
OK, purchased one for a laugh. Lets see if it can improve the 1210 setup.

Marco
27-04-2014, 18:43
Pic of my T/T with the Resomat and MN platter fitted:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/842/mlf6.jpg

Marco.

Audio Al
27-04-2014, 19:06

Marco.

I see you still have the " Audio Al " Sticker ;)

Marco
27-04-2014, 23:17
Lol - it's an Audio Origami one actually :)

Marco.

Theo
28-04-2014, 13:45
Like all things in 'tweakworld', there are no absolutes: I've bought (and sold) a Resomat as it wasn't the best solution on my t/t. I've tried it, YNWaN's (Mark) prototype (which I preferred), an Achromat, the Origin Live mat; the ones I have retained are the Trio ceramic mat and the Audio Technica vacuum platter, which is the best compromise (for me) in terms of least vinyl noise, detail retrieval, soundstaging and bass control. Mark's prototype, which worked on a similar principle but supported the LP under the label only, worked very well with the three-legged POD clamp, giving a calm, relaxed and detailed presentation. The ceramic mat has a real boogie factor on the L-07D, but loses out on the detail front.

At this level, it's all about the presentation you like. My AT is the one I like best on my t/t, but I like to have a variety of options to hand, especially with different arm/cartridge combinations.

Marco
29-04-2014, 06:53
Hi Theo,

Like all things in 'tweakworld', there are no absolutes, as it wasn't the best solution on my t/t...

Absolutely (no pun intended)! :)

Although, I don't think that any of us know which *anything* is ultimately the best solution on our T/T or system, mats or otherwise, quite simply because, with hi-fi, we're all on continual learning curve. Therefore 'best' is only applicable on a temporary basis until eventually something else supersedes that 'best'.

In terms of T/T mats, way back I used to think that a Sounddeadsteel Isoplatmat was 'best', then a Herbies Way Excellent, then a Blue Horizon, followed by an Achromat, and finally a Clearaudio Harmonicer - each one audibly and demonstrably superior on my T/T than its predecessor, by acting as less of a barrier between what was recorded in the grooves and what was heard by me, the listener - before settling on my current favourite mat: the Resomat, which in that respect takes things to a new level on my turntable.

However, as I'm sure you'd agree, the sonic optimisation of a turntable is a continually movable feast. Therefore in that respect, it's only natural our opinions will move in line with that, as we discover newer and better ways of doing things. I would say, though, that the Resomat is likely to improve the sound of most well-sorted turntables, where obtaining the highest resolution from vinyl is the ultimate goal.

Marco.

MCRU
29-04-2014, 09:36

Marco.

I thought you didn't own a camera dude, what's happening? :lol:

Marco
29-04-2014, 10:12
Lol - it's the same camera that's always been used for me posting pics here: DEL'S!

She was off last week on half-term (as she's a teacher), so had time to take the pics, and upload them from her digital camera onto my laptop, so try again, daftee!! :ner:

Marco.

Joe
29-04-2014, 11:08
Lol - it's the same camera that's always been used for me posting pics here: DEL'S!

She was off last week on half-term (as she's a teacher), so had time to take the pics, and upload them from her digital camera onto my laptop, so try again, daftee!! :ner:

Marco.

How can it possibly be half-term; they've only just gone back after Easter! I reckon she's playing truant.

Marco
29-04-2014, 12:04
Lol, sorry, Easter holidays or whatever else they're called! She was off work anyway for two weeks, and only returned on Monday :)

Marco.

CageyH
06-05-2014, 20:00
Any updates on your thoughts?

Wakefield Turntables
06-05-2014, 20:17
Well for what its worth this seems to work better on my 301 than my 1210, so if you own a 1210 with a Mike New AL/CU platter I would advise against buying one of these, I didn't notice much, if any improvement.

Marco
06-05-2014, 20:29
Lol - different strokes for different folks... In terms of the 1210, I couldn't disagree MORE!!!!

Marco.

Marco
06-05-2014, 20:31
Any updates on your thoughts?

What on - the Resomat? If so, yes, I consider it as the best T/T mat I've ever used - and by a considerable margin! :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
06-05-2014, 20:33
Lol - different strokes for different folks... In terms of the 1210, I couldn't disagree MORE!!!!

Marco.

No worries, but we also disagree on the types of platter we use! Perhaps the resomat and MN ETP are indeed an excellent match.

Marco
06-05-2014, 20:43
At the end of the day, Andy, it's all personal taste/system dependent :)

Marco.

mido
10-05-2014, 07:25
I have one of these mats. I think it is absolutely brilliant.

Agree wholeheartedly with this statement from Marco -

"I consider it as the best T/T mat I've ever used"

and keiths -

"Still using mine on my Lenco. Any other mat just sounds 'wrong' in comparison."

Wakefield Turntables
10-05-2014, 07:41
I have one of these mats. I think it is absolutely brilliant.

Agree wholeheartedly with this statement from Marco -

"I consider it as the best T/T mat I've ever used"

and keiths -

"Still using mine on my Lenco. Any other mat just sounds 'wrong' in comparison."

Different strokes for different folks. Don't forget we all have wildly different platters which will have a massive impact on sonic presentation.

mido
10-05-2014, 07:43
Different strokes for different folks. Don't forget we all have wildly different platters which will have a massive impact on sonic presentation.

Oh, absolutely, I wasn't arguing with anyone elses' findings in their systems and with their ears etc.

Simply stating that I am very happy with mine in my system.

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2014, 16:03
RIGHT, I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE....

I have been using the Reso-Mat for the six weeks and have to say that it's marginally better than my Acromat, so a worthwhile £30 upgrade. BUT, I hardly get any static or excessive dust building up on my vinyl so this has to be a massive bonus. :eek:

I'M CONVERTED!!

Ali Tait
01-07-2014, 16:52
Yep, agreed, sounds great n my 401.

Marco
01-07-2014, 17:05
RIGHT, I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE....

I have been using the Reso-Mat for the six weeks and have to say that it's marginally better than my Acromat, so a worthwhile £30 upgrade. BUT, I hardly get any static or excessive dust building up on my vinyl so this has to be a massive bonus. :eek:

I'M CONVERTED!!

Lol... Is that "better" with your 401 or Techy - or both? :)

Marco.

CageyH
01-07-2014, 17:24
There are none listed on eBay. You buggers have bought them all.

Marco
01-07-2014, 17:56
Hi Kevin,

I'm sure that Vic will have plenty available for sale if you contact him directly: http://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

:)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2014, 18:14
Lol... Is that "better" with your 401 or Techy - or both? :)

Marco.

It's better on the 1210, it seems to dig a little more detail into the mix but this is only marginal but worth the £30. The jury is still out with the 301, I think I can notice an improvment but this may be due to the fact it increases the VTA of my 3012 and this seems to be improving what I'm hearing. This tells me I may have a problem with the VTA level :doh: I think it's going to be another few weeks of listening before I can make a true assessment, but TBH the good old garrard rubber mat seems to work as well as most things!

Marco
01-07-2014, 18:18
It's better on the 1210, it seems to dig a little more detail into the mix but this is only marginal but worth the £30.

That's cool, Andy. You're not using a clamp or weight with it are you?

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2014, 18:22
That's cool, Andy. You're not using a clamp or weight with it are you?

Marco.

No just like yourself I'm clamp (yes I did say clamp and not clap :lol:) free. The michell now sits on the 301. I'm in a quandry now because I'm debating using a 2mm cork + garrard mat combo versus the acromat versus resomat in a bake-off to see which mat now plays best on the 301..... this hobby can be frustrating sometimes. :)

Marco
01-07-2014, 18:40
Lol.... From experience, the Garrard is pretty 'mat agnostic', but you might get some subtle improvements by trying different ones. Glad you're not using a clamp or weight with the Resomat, as they kill the extra detail and musicality it brings.

Marco.

YNWaN
02-07-2014, 09:27
I use a kind of clamp with a Reso style mat and believe it is an improvement.

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2014, 09:52

Elaborate please! How do you think the clamp works with the resomat? Are you thinking that a downwards clamping force on rigid points of the resomat will improve the resomat's ability to nullify resonance getting up into the vinyl :scratch:

Marco
02-07-2014, 09:54

Yup, but on a totally different T/T to what Andy and I use... IME, on a Technics SL-1210, with a Resomat in the equation, say :no: to a clamp or weight.

Marco.

YNWaN
02-07-2014, 10:53
Yes, on a quite different deck - but a Technics with a different bearing, platter etc is a quite different deck to a standard Technics or a Garrard etc.

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2014, 11:17
No elaboration?

YNWaN
02-07-2014, 14:37
Yeah, there is an elaboration, will write it all out later when I have a bit more time.

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2014, 14:51
:thumbsup: Ok, that sounds good.

Marco
02-07-2014, 14:52
Yes, on a quite different deck - but a Technics with a different bearing, platter etc is a quite different deck to a standard Technics...

Indeed, although Andy (whom I'd been chatting with about the subject) doesn't use a standard Technics... In fact, few of us here do.

Marco.

YNWaN
02-07-2014, 15:43
I thought a Garrard was mentioned though and although there aren't many entirely standard Technics', many seem to have very different levels of modification and/or replacement bits.

Marco
02-07-2014, 17:03
Yup, Andy owns a (heavily modded) Techy and a 401. The former he considers benefits from the use of a Resomat, but the jury's still out on the latter.

In any case, as is usual with these things (mats, record weights, etc), there are no absolutes, no matter what turntable is used - it's case of 'suck it and see' :)

Marco.

CageyH
02-07-2014, 18:05
Hi Kevin,

I'm sure that Vic will have plenty available for sale if you contact him directly: http://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

:)

Marco.

I have contacted Vic, and I await a response.

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2014, 18:43
I thought a Garrard was mentioned though and although there aren't many entirely standard Technics', many seem to have very different levels of modification and/or replacement bits.

Yep thats my 301. I wonder if the Resomat works best on techie's with just the mike new bearing or similar replacement?

Yup, Andy owns a (heavily modded) Techy and a 401. The former he considers benefits from the use of a Resomat, but the jury's still out on the latter.

In any case, as is usual with these things (mats, record weights, etc), there are no absolutes, no matter what turntable is used - it's case of 'suck it and see' :)

Marco.

Marco, its a 301 and not a 401 . It will be some time before I start comparing mats on the 301 simply because that bloke Stan from Beresford hifi fame has produced a f'kin awesome DAC and I cant stop listening to CD's now. :doh:

Marco
02-07-2014, 19:56
Ah - thanks for the correction! :)

Marco.

John
02-07-2014, 20:03
I have contacted Vic, and I await a response.
You have to wait a few weeks as away

CageyH
02-07-2014, 20:12
Thanks.
He has replied, and said he will be back in a few days...

CageyH
03-07-2014, 17:29
He's back.

Marco
21-07-2014, 18:12
Did you get one, then? :)

Marco.

CageyH
21-07-2014, 18:37
Yes.
It's not too shabby. ;)

Marco
21-07-2014, 20:54
Cool - told ya! :)

Gives a bit more detail and clarity than normal mats (and removes a 'bloom' from proceedings you didn't realise was there), doesn't it?

Marco.

CageyH
08-08-2014, 12:43
I have just stuck my achromat back on, and that is pretty good too.
A slightly different sound, but good all the same.

I have also stuck my AT150MLX back on after a while with the 2M and it seems to be giving me a little more bass. I know the 2M is a difficult cartridge to set up, and maybe I didn't get it quite right.

karma67
17-10-2014, 09:37
just ordered one of these mats. sould be better than the standard felt one on my turntable.

choirboy
11-01-2016, 03:10
Has anyone had a problem with the rubber rings perishing around the little cones on their RESOMAT? 5 or 6 cones have this problem on mine. One of them has perished completely in fact and when that happens the cone can just fall out.

I 'm wondering whether I have one from a faulty batch or something? Had it for around 4 years probably, it's been hardly used just placed on my deck and not kept in direct sunlight/damp conditions or anything.

YNWaN
12-01-2016, 20:54
Neoprene O rings will perish in this manner.

karma67
12-01-2016, 21:39
that reminds me,i must get the doll serviced!

guy
12-01-2016, 22:23
that reminds me,i must get the doll serviced!

Are you sure that it's not all the "servicing" that made the rubber perish :D

AudioFreak
27-02-2016, 11:28
I have had some of the 'o' rings perish with the reso-mat. As said before the rubber will perish over time, silicone 'o' rings would have been better. I do not use the Reso-Mat now as I have since replaced the Systemdek that it used with.