PDA

View Full Version : What is the greatest Christmas song ever?

Mudbug
25-11-2008, 20:11
What is the greatest Christmas song ever?

John Lennon, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Fairytale Of New York, The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Bruce Springsteen, Do They Know Its Christmas, Band Aid or something else?

This Day in Music have launched a poll to find out what your favourite Christmas songs are.

What song would you pick? You can see a full list of songs and vote on http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Beechwoods
25-11-2008, 20:45
All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey :)

Filterlab
25-11-2008, 23:08
All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey :)

Have you seen her lately though? Poor girl, looks like she's stuffed full of botox, she could hardly move when she was on X Factor a couple of weeks ago. (Ok, I admit it, I was following Laura White - she's an amazing singer and deserved to go so much further, can't believe she was voted off! :wah:)

Anyway, back to the subject in hand.

I like Fairytale of New York by Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues, brilliant track. I also like Happy Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon, lovely as is usual for Lennon. The one Christmas track I will happily listen to over and over again though is I Was Born on Christmas Day by Saint Etienne, just love it - although not many folk know it to be honest. Just importing Saint Etienne's album at the moment as it happens. :)

Beechwoods
26-11-2008, 09:12
I must admit that I missed the X Factor, it's not a show I make a date with unfortunately! But MC has a great voice... it's kind of mean to knock her for getting older :)

Christmas is a great time for cheesy music and some not so cheesy. 'White Christmas' by Wham is a great track. One of my favourite things each Christmas is putting together comps of cover versions. Metallica did a great instrumental christmas carol one year, but I can't remember which one.

Cassetteboy did a great 18 minute Christmas cut-up of songs, samples and other Chismassy stuff called 'Festive Christmas' which is well worth trying to get hold of. Their reworking of Cliff Richard's 'Mistletoe & Wine' is worth the price of entry alone.

And don't forget 'Merry Christmas' by Wesley Willis.

Filterlab
26-11-2008, 13:30
But MC has a great voice... it's kind of mean to knock her for getting older :)

I'm not knocking her for getting old, but it's this obsession with trying to stay 25 that I don't understand. She has an AMAZING voice and when one sees shows like The X Factor it becomes apparent just how amazing true professionals like her really are. She doesn't have to stay a babe to remain a fantastic artist. It's a shame that modern music seems to demand that artists look perfect and ageless. Just 20 years ago it was a very different story; The Pogues, Happy Mondays, The Proclaimers etc etc - none could be blessed for their looks but it didn't stop their music selling. On the other hand, I'm sure very few blokes would kick her out of bed! :)

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/mariah_carey_07.jpg

Anyway, back to Christmas songs....

Beechwoods
26-11-2008, 14:45
Top pic, Rob!

Filterlab
26-11-2008, 15:32
Yeah, I had fun searching for that! ;)

Mike
26-11-2008, 16:43
I'd have to say that, by and large, Christmas songs are loathsome things that should never have been invented. So there! :ner:

Bah Humbug!!!.....

Beechwoods
26-11-2008, 17:32
To coin a phrase:

:uhho:

Beechwoods
09-12-2008, 21:02
Festive folks may want to check out the Myspace Player on Cassetteboy's official page... some new edits of old stuff and some completely new stuff for even jaded fans like me :)

http://www.myspace.com/bloodycassetteboy

Peter Stockwell
19-12-2008, 08:25
I'd have to say that, by and large, Christmas songs are loathsome things that should never have been invented. So there! :ner:

Bah Humbug!!!.....

I harrumph that!

Chris Rea's "Songs of Christmas" might be considered ok, tho'. If you can stomach Chris Rea.

Dave Cawley
19-12-2008, 10:41
The Tornados - Telstar (1962)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwYrSt1Pko8&feature=related

Dave

MartinT
14-12-2009, 10:22
Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas

Although I do agree that most Christmas songs are loathsome.

Themis
14-12-2009, 10:43
euuu... Know your enemy - RATM ? :scratch:

:lol:

chris@panteg
14-12-2009, 11:36
Its got to be either Bing ' or Cliff for me

White Christmas or Missletoe and wine :scratch: ;)

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 12:23
Well having assisted TGW Chris with the grave robbing this week, I had better post on the subject, hadn't I?!

I'm definitely in the camp that supports The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairy Tale of New York - but I think that it has come from being a cult track to over played in the last few years.

Sadly, I am also of the age where Wham - Last Christmas has very fond memories, having bought said single on 7" for a devoted Wham fan who's affections I was also seeking... Unsucessfully, unfortunately...

I'm not a huge Elvis fan - but this is one great bluesy Christmas Track - Merry Christmas Baby - http://open.spotify.com/track/2Hxvl0ZZcKbfCi1W5gtGfp - or how about the original by Charles Brown - (just love the way it breaks into jingle bells in the middle 8!) http://open.spotify.com/track/7kBPXZ0CMtwU4GGBlW66Bx

(http://open.spotify.com/track/7kBPXZ0CMtwU4GGBlW66Bx)

NickB
14-12-2009, 13:36
Dave

The Tornados - Telstar (1962)

That is amazing - Ali and I were just listening to that in Spain in the pouring rain as I read your post.

But for me its Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry

Nick

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 13:43
But for me its Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry

When I was 12, I went on a school trip for a week in Normandy, staying near Rouen, in a cheap but chearful hotel with 30 other school kids - every meal time (and I mean EVERY meal time!) they had Stop The Cavalry on 7" single on continuous repeat (must have been a Dansette record player or similar) - I figured it was probably the only English record they had, which was ironic as it was a French field trip! It has taken nearly 30 years for me to be able to appreciate that song! (Oh, and it was April when we went!)

DanJennings
14-12-2009, 13:45
tEe55NxFSSU

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 13:56
Dan wins :)

DanJennings
14-12-2009, 14:07
Here's another couple of great songs to spoil the mood at christmas!
(Have I misunderstood this thread?) ;)

PewKtLL9nJA

tSkOMU_4suQ

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 14:08

:respect:

It was actually recorded long before it's single release & release on ELP's 'Works Volume Two' album. It wasnt meant to be an happy cheer Christmas song it was written by Greg to highlight his annoyance with the commercial Christmas..

FqOfXumI18A

Joe
14-12-2009, 14:12
The correct answer is of course:

'All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit' by Half Man Half Biscuit.

There was one in the gang who had Scalextric
And because of that he thought he was better than you
Every day after school you’d go round there to play it
Hoping to compete for some kind of championship
But it always took about fifteen billion hours to set the track up
And even when you did the thing never seemed to work

It was a dodgy transformer again and again
A dodgy transformer again and again
It was a dodgy transformer again and again
A dodgy transformer that cost three pound ten

So he’d send his doting mother up the stairs with the stepladders
To get the Subbuteo out of the loft
He had all the accessories required for that big match atmosphere
The crowd and the dugout and the floodlights too
You’d always get palmed off with a headless centre forward
And a goalkeeper with no arms and a face like his

And he’d managed to get hold of a Dukla Prague away kit
‘Cos his uncle owned a sports shop and he’d kept it to one side
And after only five minutes you’d be down to ten men
‘Cos he’d sent off your right back for taking the base from under his left winger
And come to half time you were losing four-nil
Each and every goal a hotly disputed penalty
So you’d smash up the floodlights and the match was abandoned
And the dog would bark and you’d be banned from his house
And your travelling army of synthetic supporters
Would be taken away from you and thrown in the bin

Now he’s working in a job with a future
He hands me my Giro every two weeks
And me I’m on the lookout for a proper transformer

DanJennings
14-12-2009, 15:11
Ah but what about
'It's Cliched To Be Cynical At Christmas' by HMHB

DSJR
14-12-2009, 18:14

Although I do agree that most Christmas songs are loathsome.

That song is totally the opposite of what many people expect for a Christmas song.

"...Halelujah Noel, be it heaven or hell. The Christmas we get we deserve....."

Along with Andre (thanks for the video link) - :respect:

One track that takes me back to my babyhood is "Mary's Boy Child" by Harry Belafonte. I think I still have this on 10" 78rpm, 7" 45rpm, LP and I think it's on one of our CD compilations as well...

Joe
14-12-2009, 18:20
Ah but what about
'It's Cliched To Be Cynical At Christmas' by HMHB

That's a cracker too (no pun intended) but Dukla Prague wins on points.

Barry
14-12-2009, 22:24
One track that takes me back to my babyhood is "Mary's Boy Child" by Harry Belafonte.

Gosh that takes me back! Used to have a copy but seem to have lost it.

Apart from that, I guess my favourite is Lennon's 'Happy Christmas, War is Over'. I quite like 'Fairytale of New York', having had it rammed in over the last few years.

Have just played both of them to try and get me in a Christmas mood. Actually it has been a bit of a tradition chez nous to play carols sung by the Choir of King's College, Cambridge (Decca 'The World of Christmas' (groan!), Argo SPA/A 104). Clichéd maybe, but I like 'em.

I also like Slade's Christmas song, though its spoilt by Noddy Holder screaming "It's Christmas" at the end. Probably in a minority of one - I'll get my coat.......

Spectral Morn
14-12-2009, 22:52
My wife likes

Driving Home for Christmas---Chris Rea

Little Town of Bethlehem, O come all ye Faithful, Silent Night and Emmanuel.

Me

Chris Squire--- Run with the Fox

And Silent Night.

Just bringing the thread to the true meaning of Christmas.

Regards D S D L