PDA

View Full Version : Swan Lake

julesd68
05-12-2011, 21:04
I'm thinking I would like to get a vinyl copy of Swan Lake - should I go for a 3lp box set extravaganza or do the highlights suffice?

cheers.

jandl100
06-12-2011, 07:43
It's worth going for the fully monty, I think.

Lots of fab music that doesn't (can't) make it to the cut on a single disc.

But you will also get a fair number of sammizdat tracks that get a bit tired after a while.

Ideally you (we) need a 2 LP set with the surplus trimmed off!
... but then, I guess, different folks will have different ideas about which bits to trim!

Which set(s) are you thinking of?

I have a highlights LP ... Efrem Kurtz conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra on an ancient (but near mint!) HMV disc in excellent sound, and with Yehudi Menuhin incomparable (imo!) on the tracks with solo violin. :violin:

Of course, to do it 'properly' you need the full Audio/Visual experience ... I have a Russian version on DVD with the Kirov Ballet.
Lots of slim and fit young ladies prancing around with not much on ... :eek:

Thing Fish
06-12-2011, 09:25
I have a Russian version on DVD with the Kirov Ballet.
Lots of slim and fit young ladies prancing around with not much on ... :eek:

Is that the one where Ron Jeremy takes on the role of Von Rothbart...;)

julesd68
06-12-2011, 09:27
Well, the Bible (Penguin Stereo Record Guide) has the Fistoulari / Ricci set as numero uno. The wide-band cut-down goes for more money than I can pay, whilst the 3lp set ain't cheap either!

jandl100
06-12-2011, 10:05
Fistoulari - yes, excellent. :thumbsup: I used to have that one, in the days before CD. Ricci is a different kind of violinist to Menuhin, more fiery and less sumptuous.

julesd68
06-12-2011, 11:03
Seems like Karajan is also a contender - three top class lp's to choose from!
I can imagine him doing Swan Lake very well ...