PDA

View Full Version : Denon DVD-2930

Canetoad
02-12-2011, 15:15
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of these 2nd hand. I have noticed some advertised saying that there are problems with loading DVDs on them. Does anybody know if this is an easy or difficult problem to rectify? Would it require a replacement laser to fix?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reid Malenfant
02-12-2011, 17:40
Nice deck, I should know as I own & use one :eyebrows:

I can't guarantee it but seeing as it's a DVD player & that is what is likely to be spun most I'd guess that it's probably either a mucky or duff laser, yes.

I haven't taken mine to bits so I can't tell you how difficult it would be to fit a new mech in it. However, I changed the mech in a Marantz CD63 in about a half hour & in reality there won't be massive differences.

I guess it depends on how much it is going to cost & if you can source a new or good secondhand mechanism for it as to whether it's worthwhile buying it.

Nice kit though as already stated ;)

Canetoad
02-12-2011, 20:34
Hi Mark,

I did see these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350463774706?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I must admit that I was thinking of getting one to play DVD-A and SACD.

I'm just wondering if a faulty one is worth a punt. :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
02-12-2011, 20:39
Well if the mech is that cheap & that is cheap to, then it depends on the cost of the unit.

Put it like this, if it's £150 or less I reckon you couldn't go wrong :)

SACD performance is pretty stunning & so is DVDA while I think about it :eyebrows:

I bought mine new & it was a reduced price, ironically just before I bought a blu ray player & if I remember right it was about £450 :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
02-12-2011, 20:46
Just had a thought... Do you only want this thing for SACD & DVDA playback?

If so I might have just the thing for you :lol: I have a 2910 which has a faulty DVI-D & HDMI output, but the component video works fine & it plays everything...

Well those were faulty last time I tried it...

Make me an offer if you want ;)

Macca
03-12-2011, 10:15
Just had a thought... Do you only want this thing for SACD & DVDA playback?

If so I might have just the thing for you :lol: I have a 2910 which has a faulty DVI-D & HDMI output, but the component video works fine & it plays everything...

Well those were faulty last time I tried it...

Make me an offer if you want ;)

I might be intersted Mark if Bernie does not want it, what sort of price did you have in mind?

Canetoad
03-12-2011, 12:02
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the offer but I would prefer to get a fully working model if I could. It's going to be a toe in the water for DVD-A and SACD for me. Backup will be as a DVD player for my son to use in his room. :eyebrows:

I've already bought a Panasonic Bluray player on your feedback and now I'm looking for a Denon DVD-2930 as well. Maybe you should be in sales! :ner::lol:

Reid Malenfant
03-12-2011, 16:41
I might be intersted Mark if Bernie does not want it, what sort of price did you have in mind?
Well the bottom has dropped right out of the market on DVD players :doh: Just looked at some prices :eyebrows:

Let me check that everything works that should, I'll check the HDMI output as well before I give you a ballpark figure :eyebrows:

I may still have the box & packing material & manual, definately have the remote so let me gather it all up & then I'll get back to you Martin ;)

Macca
04-12-2011, 11:01
Well the bottom has dropped right out of the market on DVD players :doh: Just looked at some prices :eyebrows:

Let me check that everything works that should, I'll check the HDMI output as well before I give you a ballpark figure :eyebrows:

I may still have the box & packing material & manual, definately have the remote so let me gather it all up & then I'll get back to you Martin ;)

Okey dokey - I only want it for 2 channel SACD and DVD-A playback anyway so not bothered about the other outputs:)