PDA

View Full Version : Beginners thread or sub-forum?

jazzpiano
26-11-2011, 19:43
Hello all,

Most of the posters here are very experienced and knowledgeable. I wonder if we should have a thread or sub-forum for beginners? I hate the term "high -end" becaus it sounds snooty, and I think all the details and the prices can intimidate those who would otherwise be good candiddates as enthusiats/music fans. If we could all only own say, a 1000-2500 pound system what would we own? how would we prioritize?

Other possible "beginner" questions: How to set up and isolate a turntable properly; How to site equipment for best sound/ to avoid hum, etc., Used vs. New; How important is the turntable relative to electronics, speakers?
What got me thinking about this is a neighbors interest and contemplation of buying a Bose set-up (just like the previously posted youtube animation).

~Barry :hifives:

The Grand Wazoo
26-11-2011, 19:53
These are all things that have been suggested as articles for the AoS Library. The Librarians have done a lot of work in getting the thing going and we do our best it to bring it to members' attention. However, we haven't exactly been snowed under with offers from people to write this type of article.

John
26-11-2011, 19:58
The Libary is a great place for members to write an article that might help new people

jazzpiano
26-11-2011, 22:19
Thanks John and Chris (It's so much more fun saying Grand Wazoo). I'll think about it and see if I can come up w/ something helpful for your approval.

Have a great weekend,
Barry

icehockeyboy
27-11-2011, 19:05
I don't think AOS actually needs a beginners section as the members here (well, most of them!) are not of the variety that snap peoples heads off for asking a simple, possibly naive question, not like a certain other forum I could mention!

Reid Malenfant
27-11-2011, 19:12
Good point Craig, in fact we probably encourage people to ask questions :eyebrows:

Makes sense really as it's all about getting people involved in discussions on here, rather than just browsing some set pieces of info & therefore not participating ;)

The forum is nothing without the members contributions after all...

DavefromDorset
27-11-2011, 19:32
I wouldn't class myself as a beginner exactly, having owned hi-fi for the past 50 or more years, but I do find that the pace of change in audio equipment, plus the continual finessing of parameters that affect good sound, mean that I'm effectively starting at the beginning every time I want to change something in my system.

So maybe we don't need a beginners' section as such, but enough people like me asking simple questions so the the forum reaches a critical mass of 'beginner' type threads that encourages more people to join and ask more simple questions.

Hope that makes sense - it was alright in my head, but on the page it kinda looks like an Escher painting.

Dave

Reid Malenfant
27-11-2011, 19:38
Hope that makes sense - it was alright in my head, but on the page it kinda looks like an Escher painting.

Dave
Perfect sense in all honesty (from someone who has completed a 1000 piece black & white MC Escher puzzle :eyebrows:).

The Grand Wazoo
27-11-2011, 20:06
A question leading to an informative (& fairly on-topic) discussion can be distilled down into an article for the Library with a little bit of cutting & pasting. That's kind of how this piece (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7659) came about, though Barry spent a lot of time on it, I believe, as is reflected in the quality of the final result.

jazzpiano
27-11-2011, 20:43
Hi Chris,

Thanks for leading to this article by Barry #1, and thanks Barry for a very helpful and informative article with great pics. I'm going to have to spend a little (a lot) of time in the library.

Best,
Barry

PS - Maybe "Beginners" is the wrong word, but I still think a "Basics - How to get it to sound good (not great) out of the box" type section would be helpful.

Dominic Harper
27-11-2011, 20:48
I have had in mind to do a turntable setup guide. If I get time of course and also if I get enough interest from members to encourage me to try and put one together.
Only trouble, it may end up being a lengthy post and may in fact discourage people to fine tune their turntables.
Let me know your thoughts.

MCRU
27-11-2011, 20:56
I have had in mind to do a turntable setup guide. If I get time of course and also if I get enough interest from members to encourage me to try and put one together.
Only trouble, it may end up being a lengthy post and may in fact discourage people to fine tune their turntables.

What did the man from Nike once say?

JUST DO IT

:):):):):):):):):):):)

Spectral Morn
27-11-2011, 21:08
What did the man from Nike once say?

JUST DO IT

:):):):):):):):):):):)

+ 1

Regards D S D L

John
27-11-2011, 22:25
Go for it Dom I am sure it will help people

The Grand Wazoo
27-11-2011, 22:31
Happy to work with you on this Dom - if you want someone to help you turn a stream of consciousness into a usable item for the library, then we're here for you. It can be broken down into bite-sized chunks if need be.

Alex_UK
27-11-2011, 22:33

That would be fab, Dom. You can always split into more manageable posts rather than doing it all in one. :)

worthingpagan
28-11-2011, 15:45
I don't think AOS actually needs a beginners section as the members here (well, most of them!) are not of the variety that snap peoples heads off for asking a simple, possibly naive question, not like a certain other forum I could mention!

I wonder which one you mean :lolsign:

Even though I've been flogged in public a couple of times by the mods, and the odd gang rape, (joking guys;)) this is by far the best forum i've come across

Marco
28-11-2011, 17:07
Even though I've been flogged in public a couple of times by the mods, and the odd gang rape, (joking guys;))

Yesh, but you just lurve baring your botty for a right royal rogering, doncha, you durty, durty, boy...... :bum: :goodfriends:

Marco.

Puffin
28-11-2011, 17:31
Having a sub-forum would suggest to me that those asking elementary (to some) questions would suggest that they are errr.....well...sub-standard and not to be taken seriously until they have reached some sort of level of competence of which no-one would be able to tell them when they had achieved that level.

I have learnt by my mistakes and the kindness of others. Let's keep it all one big happy family:lol:

Alex_UK
02-12-2011, 20:35
Having a sub-forum would suggest to me that those asking elementary (to some) questions would suggest that they are errr.....well...sub-standard and not to be taken seriously until they have reached some sort of level of competence of which no-one would be able to tell them when they had achieved that level.

I have learnt by my mistakes and the kindness of others. Let's keep it all one big happy family:lol:

+ 1,000,000 :)

Rare Bird
03-12-2011, 01:30
Just get stuck in Barry i personally wouldnt touch ''High-End' with a barge pole, i have no problems on here