PDA

View Full Version : I Totally Lucked Out!

michaelhigh
26-11-2011, 01:43
There's ony so much one can do to improve SQ when operating computer audio without a DAC, and that's where I find myself right now. I hang out on a site called StumbleUpon that fires websites at you based on your favourite topics and subject matter, and I was Stumbling today when I came upon a great article. I was happy to get right into it, titled "Improve the sound quality of your PC". I started following the directions, good, concise ones too. They were really easy, step by step, even for a dummy like me. Among the tweaks suggested were turning off the fancy graphics, eliminating the system sounds, and various different things I can't specifically recall now. There were at least 10 or 11 things, and I did as many as I felt comfortable trying. I've gotten a bit frisky ripping out stuff before and found myself returning to my first day of ownership, having to start from scratch, losing my downloads and all! The first thing that happened upon reboot was a lot of air (really noticeable) total clarity around the cymbals and voices, and the bass tightened and really sounded better than I've ever heard my computer sound. I've always been impressed with the sound quality right out of the box, no tweaks, but on a whim I tried this and boy, did it ever improve an already great setup! Google "improve sound quality on my PC" and see for yourself! Amazing what a little poking around can do, especially for no cost involved! Brilliant.

Alex_UK
26-11-2011, 07:05
Nice one Mike - a link to the resource you used would be helpful, though, as it is not obvious even after I did as you suggested and googled ""improve sound quality on my PC." Cheers.

michaelhigh
27-11-2011, 07:17
Nice one Mike - a link to the resource you used would be helpful, though, as it is not obvious even after I did as you suggested and googled ""improve sound quality on my PC." Cheers.

Try StumbleUpon, it's a random web generator, and I happened onto the site by accident. You tell it your interests and it generates web pages to coincide with your likes. I'm sorry not to have any more specifics. It looked like a pretty generic set of tweaks, things a savvy PC audio aficionado would be instinctively doing anyway. I wouldn't put myself in that bracket...that's why I lucked out and got a extra burst of SQ...:)

Alex_UK
27-11-2011, 21:04
OK, Mike - that makes sense, thanks. :)

jorgea
29-11-2011, 23:10
Sounds like it was well worth all the tweaking. I am glad I found www.theartofsound.net

Marco
29-11-2011, 23:57
Hi jorge,

Welcome to AoS :)

Before you go any further, please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, as you were asked to do in your registration email - ta! :cool:

Marco.