PDA

View Full Version : The mother of all bake-offs?

Steve Toy
21-11-2008, 12:22
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32902&forum_id=1

I think this seems like a good idea if anyone here is interested. I can confirm that Marco has been talking to Roy Bird/Chestergroup* and the invitation has also been extended to AOS and its members :)

I like the idea of the Midlands...

*It was thanks to Chestergroup that AOS was launched at the Manchester Show in January this year. A little AOS flyer appeared in every goody bag handed out to punters on entry.

Filterlab
21-11-2008, 12:24
Sounds like a good day out.

John
21-11-2008, 18:36
Sounds like a good idea

Dave Cawley
21-11-2008, 19:06
Count me in!

Dave

Primalsea
21-11-2008, 19:10
This sounds like a good idea for a couple of reasons (in my mind anyway)

The exhibitors have noting to lose or gain except their heads swelling to fit their expanding ego if they get some praise. So that means none of that My Way Is Best & Everything Else Is Shite attitude.

You won't be greeted by people that either see you as a walking wallet or a waste of their time.

What follows probably seems a little opposed to the idea but there are some good guys trading out there who are one man bands or produce DIY kits that I imagine most forum members would be interested in, World Designs, Audio Origami, Beresford etc. As these people tend to have a welth of info and experience they often give for free could we have some limited trade exhibitions that are more tailored to the gear in a enthusiasts set up.

Mike
21-11-2008, 19:44
Stupid phrase though...'Bake Off'! :doh:

I wonder who thought that one up? :scratch:

:lolsign:

Ian Walker
22-11-2008, 10:13
Stupid phrase though...'Bake Off'! :doh:

I wonder who thought that one up? :scratch:

:lol::lol::lol:.

Mike
22-11-2008, 11:55
Should we all bring cakes? :)

Ian Walker
22-11-2008, 19:23

Marco
26-11-2008, 14:38
Could people please have a serious think if they would like to participate in this event and if so inform us accordingly with what equipment they will be taking?

Otherwise, AOS will be occupying only one room with a system comprising of equipment belonging to the mods and admin team, and the rest of the rooms being occupied by people from Wigwam, pfm, Zerogain, which is fine but we need to know.

Cheers! :)

Marco.

Mike
26-11-2008, 16:46
Where/When?.... I can't be bothered reading through the link. :dummy:

John
26-11-2008, 17:46
I will not be taking equipment but interested in visiting the Mother of all bake offs and maybe if I am lucky finally hearing Marco 1210

Primalsea
26-11-2008, 20:14
would love to do it but it depends on where and when. I would be happy to use my complete system or mix and match with someone elses.

I live near Cambridge and if its miles away I probably would not go.

Gerry
26-11-2008, 21:46
I'd be interested in joining in...date and location dependent.

I would bring some equipment if required....some of it is large and heavy so really needs to be ground floor.

Regards
Gerry

SPS
27-11-2008, 09:13
i would bring my kit ...if that is ok..

depends on the costs/ dates/ and a reasonable sized room etc

Marco
27-11-2008, 09:53
Thanks for your input, guys. We'll let you know when things are going ahead. The proposed date is sometime around Jan/Feb next year and the proposed venue is a hotel somewhere in the Midlands (a 'halfway house' geographically, so to speak).

Any comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Marco.

johnrtd
27-11-2008, 10:03
I'm surely interested. The newest set of kits is very light weight (with the exception of the SL-1200) so I could do with the top floor.

John

Marco
27-11-2008, 10:30
Hi John,

That would be excellent! So you're willing to travel to the UK and bring your gear?

Marco.

johnrtd
28-11-2008, 09:25
Yep! And to be honest I've got 5 different gears.

John

Marco
28-11-2008, 09:53
That would be great, John. Apart from anything else it would be good to meet up and I've always wanted to hear your equipment :)

As soon as we know where and when the event is taking place we'll let you know.

Marco.

Ian Walker
28-11-2008, 16:46
What about this for a venue :)

http://www.thorntonmanor.co.uk/

Marco
28-11-2008, 16:51
Fantastic, but perhaps less so in a geographical sense for our more Southern friends ;)

Marco.

John
28-11-2008, 18:27
If you want me to bring along my phonostage let me know but will not be bringing the turntable amp or speakers as far to hard to transport
I come along if Journey is less than 130miles

johnrtd
29-11-2008, 09:17
That would be great, John. Apart from anything else it would be good to meet up and I've always wanted to hear your equipment :)

As soon as we know where and when the event is taking place we'll let you know.

Marco.

The mentioned 5 gears are in my car! I would also like to do this together with the help of some (local?) dealer. I would also like to show some surround audio but it would be good if someone could supply a HD beamer and a screen.

John

Colin
18-01-2009, 16:19
It seems its happening, Ist March in Melton Mowbray, (pies all round then)

Marco
18-01-2009, 16:26
So I heard, Colin. We'll be publishing details of how AOS will be participating in the event sometime in the coming week :)

Stay tuned, folks!

Marco.

griffo104
19-01-2009, 14:42
Is it just me who sees this as either a hiding to nothing or a serious circle jerk ?

I've been to many bake offs and rarely have I come away thinking 'I need to change my system'. This is going to be open to the public and they are going to be charged about £10 an entry. Are you speaking on behalf of the manufacturers ? Can they public take your advice seriously ?

what ahppens, as did with me, when somebody plays a cd that sounds dreadful on your prie and joy ?

What happens if you give bad advice and someone decides to take you at your word ?

How much insurance are you going to need to take out ?

As much as I wish this would be a good thing the only thing I can see happeneing is alod of forum members going to catch this and deciding it's the best hifi show ever as no manufacturers, dealer, distributors and press were involved.

I took my TT to a bake off a few years ago, the guy set up 2 systems that day and most ended up listening to the TT based system, which trounced the CD based one. This involved WAD electronics and cheapo speakers (relatively speaking). There's been a bit of bad blood ever since.

I have to say if I head all the way that way I would be much more interested in pork pies than hifi :lol:

there just seems something wrong about this. A bunch of hifi buyers who already think they know better than the reviewers, dealer, distributors, etc.. being smug and trying to prove it.

there's nothing worse than having to go around someone's house and listen to their pride and joy and pretend to enjoy. I know - I've done and I know it's been done to me.

this just seems a little weird to me. Most of us love our systems, playing our music in our rooms, doesn't mean that will translate to a crappy hotel room. Something the hifi trade have had to deal with for years but there's nothing 'personal' in it with them - it's their job.

It's like going down to southend seafront, where I live, and seeing all the souped Corsas believing they have outdone Porsche ot Zonda with there clever tweaks - it's all a bit sad.

Maybe I'm being a bit wary, a bit wrong. But would you charge people to come round your house to listen to your system and music ????????

Sorry for the negativity - maybe it's just me.

snapper
19-01-2009, 15:18
Is this the one you're referring too?

Well it's on! The HifiWigWam show, sponsored by Chester Group is go!

1st of March in Melton Mobray

Scalford Hall http://www.scalfordhall.co.uk/ beautiful!

I wasn't aware that it was a "HifiWigWam show".:confused:

aquapiranha
19-01-2009, 16:50
I am surprised that chester Group are having anything to do with it really as there will be no retailers present (as far as I am aware) and plus the majority of kit on display is likely to be out of production / modified /DIY. So it must be more of a social even then?

Owston etc on the other hand are aimed squarely at one thing, DIY and this means that there is real effort and talent on display, as opposed to purchasing power.

shahsy
19-01-2009, 22:59
ummmm forgive my ignorance but is this private exhibitors or private AND trade?

Just in case I run out of snake oil LOL

s

pure sound
20-01-2009, 09:59
I think the rooms are all taken by private exhibitors. It'd be a shame if a few of the vinyl, CD (& even accessory) sellers weren't there too. It's to be £10 admission to hear 50+ rooms filled with enthusiasts systems (hopefully people who really care about the result, unlike at some shows!) I think the idea is that as many people tell as many other people as possible about it. I'd like to see it catch on. DIYers should be encouraged to take part. The commercial shows as they are aren't really serving anyone at the moment.
This is giving it back to the enthusiast. I'll certainly be paying to go in.

Marco
20-01-2009, 10:38
Yep, I completely agree with Guy. You can pick holes in anything, but I feel that overall this event has got much more going for it, from an enthusiast's point of view, than against it. The only thing that slightly concerns me is that I sincerely hope that it doesn't turn into a 'willy-waving' session and about whose system can make the loudest noise... That is most certainly not why we will be attending. Anyone visiting our room will hear a wide variety of music being played, quite an eclectic mix, (hopefully to a high standard, sonically) at a reasonable volume.

I'll be having a chat with Roy this week to finalise things in terms of our requirements. After having giving it some consideration, the thinking is that we'll just be having one room with an AOS-represented system in it, as we feel this is the best way of attempting to demonstrate what we consider 'the art of sound' is about (note the non-use of capitals as I'm talking about the process of such when building a system, not the forum itself).

With that in mind, we're quite happy to give up the remainder of the rooms in the hotel to the folks on Wigwam, TXN, pfm and Zerogain and allow them to do their stuff :)

We will of course, as per normal in these events, provide quality photographs and a full write-up of the event for members who unfortunately will be unable to attend. Once I have more information to add including what system will be used on the day I will return and do so. In the meantime, it would be a good idea if members who intend to visit and pay on the day to supply their name here so that Roy can get an idea of the numbers of visitors AOS will be bringing.

I would also just like to say thanks to Roy Bird on behalf of the Admin team for organising this event in such a beautiful location, which is far nicer, and I feel will have better sounding rooms, than in any bland and non-descript airport hotel. Let's all try and repay him by making it an event to remember and proving that successful shows like this don't necessarily have to happen within the boundaries of the M25 ;)

Marco.

shane
20-01-2009, 10:41
Who will be responsible for safety? Home made valve gear running hundreds of DC volts does not mix well with the inquisitive general public!

Marco
20-01-2009, 10:49
Hi Shane,

I'll ask Roy that question and let you know later :)

Marco.

Mike
20-01-2009, 14:37
I'll probably wander along for a look around. It would be nice to know whats going to be there. Might even bring a couple of 'passengers'.

Cheers...

Marco
20-01-2009, 15:34
Nice one, Mikey :)

Who else is likely to be coming?

Marco.

Mike
20-01-2009, 20:27
Andy (SDDW) might be coming along.

Colin
26-01-2009, 22:48
I'll probably wander along for a look around. It would be nice to know whats going to be there. Might even bring a couple of 'passengers'.

Cheers...

If you have a look on the spreadsheet from here (http://hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=35234&forum_id=37), the systems are listed.

decent mix of vinyl, CD. and streaming front ends, good range of valve and SS middle bits, and some interesting noisy bits at the end.

Mike
27-01-2009, 06:36
Thanks Colin. :)

Marco
27-01-2009, 19:24
Just to let everyone know, I've spoken with Roy and it's now official - we'll be taking one room for the event and putting a system together comprising of a selection of the equipment belonging to the members of admin, details of which will be published soon.

My modified 1210 will definitely be featured though, so for anyone who's always wanted to hear what it sounds like, get down to the show on 1st March! ;)

I look forward to meeting a few of you and putting faces to usernames, so let's support this event as much as possible :)

Marco.

Mike
27-01-2009, 19:27
Great!... I'm not going now I know that!

There's always someone to lower the tone! :(

Marco
27-01-2009, 19:30
Aye, are you bringing the bevvy or shall I? :cool:

Marco.

Mike
27-01-2009, 19:33
You can if you like... I'm driving! :(

Marco
27-01-2009, 19:44
We can raid the mini-bar in the AOS room. I'll make sure that I leave some Champers in there from my stay in the room the night before ;)

Marco.

Mike
27-01-2009, 19:54
Okey-dokey... I'll bring ya a wee scotch egg. :eyebrows:

Primalsea
27-01-2009, 23:14
Looks like I'm not going overseas until April now so I can go, yipee!!

Marco
28-01-2009, 00:05
Nice one, Paul. It would be good to meet you :)

Marco.

Colin
28-01-2009, 21:19
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/show/

Beechwoods
28-01-2009, 21:58
Tis my hope to be there, despite the drive ;)

Marco
28-01-2009, 22:17
Nice one. I'm sure we'll have a giggle, Beechy! :gig:

Marco.

jandl100
31-01-2009, 10:16
I'll be there with my tt rig (Denon DP-62L dd tt / DL-103 cart & Whest TWO phono stage) sharing a couple of rooms (one at a time!).

Look forward to meeting some of you folks there. :)

Marco
31-01-2009, 17:18
Nice one, Jerry. Make sure you come to our room and say hello :)

How's that Denon of yours doing? I'll look forward to hearing that. It looks like a serious bit of kit!

Marco.

alfie2902
02-02-2009, 21:07
Are AOS still having a room at this bake off?
Theres no mention on the spread sheet over on Wam!
Was hoping to hear your KAB/Technics SL-1210, DL 103SA & Auditorium 23 MC step-up transformer Marco!

Marco
02-02-2009, 21:35
We'll be there, Alfie, as will my Techy and all its bits :)

Fret ye not - the spreadsheet doesn't include us at the moment, mainly as we're just taking the one room. I'm dealing directly with Roy regarding our participation in the event.

The full system will be as follows:

Sources

Heavily modified Technics SL-1210MK5G with KAB PS-1200 PSU/Jelco SA-750D/Denon DL-103SA.

Bel Canto CD2 (as transport) powered by Tube Distinctions bespoke off-board PSU through Audiocom-modified Sony DAS-R1 DAC.

Apple Macbook with Apogee studio DAC / Beresford TC-7520 DAC (playing fully lossless and database corrected music files).

Preamps

Heavily modified Croft Charisma-X fitted with high quality NOS valves throughout.

Tube Distinctions grounded grid valve preamp, again using high quality NOS valves throughout.

Poweramps

Tube Distinctions KT88 30W pure Class A Copper amp, using high quality NOS valves including GEC KT88 output valves valves and NOS bespoke components throughout.

Tube Distinctions (heavily modified Puresound A30) 30W pure Class A valve amp, using high quality cryo-treated Svetlana KT88s, NOS Mullard GZ34 rectifier valves and NOS JAN Philips 6SN7 driver valves.

MC step-up transformer

Auditorium A23.

Loudspeakers

Heco Statements (large 'no compromise' floorstanding designs).

Audio Supports

Quadraspire Reference (or possibly Revo?) acrylic stands.

Mains set-up

MusicWorks ReCoil power leads and ReFlex mains block, coupled with Tube Distinctions bespoke mains filter. Examples of mains block and stands shown here:

http://musicworks.theaudioworks.co.uk/mwpricelist.pdf (Note the block we will be using will be the original ReFlex block (not the plus).

http://www.theaudioworks.co.uk/?p=6

Cables (analogue & digital)

Mark Grant professional broadcast quality Belden-type interconnects.

Green Home Electronics 'Black Mamba' speaker cable, Coherent Systems Jumper leads between HF and LF terminals on the rear of speakers.

Marco.

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 21:49
Bring it on!

Marco
02-02-2009, 21:53
It should be fun :)

Did you know we're all coming in fancy dress?

Marco.

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 22:20
:uhho: is that my initiation? :lol: :ner:

Marco
02-02-2009, 22:25
Indeed - we've allocated you a 'special' darkened room with soundproofing and padded walls with chains attached... Mike will be administering the 'treatment' in his cerise and lilac gimp suit. We'll all be outside going "mmmm", sweating profusely in our leather shorts, and watching it unfold on camera :eyebrows:

Make sure you're wearing clean underpants and practice how to bark like a dog ;)

Marco.

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 22:28
You are a very sick man Marco :lol: Squealing like a pig is more my style.

alfie2902
03-02-2009, 15:33
Great guys, thats some lovely kit your taking:eyebrows:

I shall pop in for a listen:gig:

It will be nice to put some faces to names too or at least coloured gimp masks:lolsign:

Mike
03-02-2009, 16:34
Indeed - we've allocated you a 'special' darkened room with soundproofing and padded walls with chains attached... Mike will be administering the 'treatment' in his cerise and lilac gimp suit. We'll all be outside going "mmmm", sweating profusely in our leather shorts, and watching it unfold on camera :eyebrows:

Make sure you're wearing clean underpants and practice how to bark like a dog ;)

Marco.

No, I've changed my mind... I'll be wearing my 'WWF' wrestling costume complete with gold hotpants! :eyebrows:

Beechy will need to supply the Goose fat.

Beechwoods
03-02-2009, 16:44
No problem, Mike. Marco will have to apply it though. I'm not going there...

Mike
03-02-2009, 16:59
Yeah, that sounds like a plan!... I'm already suppling the cable ties and crocodile clips! ;)

About time he got his hands dirty! :lol:

Filterlab
03-02-2009, 19:46
Did you know we're all coming in fancy dress?

Oh no, not that bloody horse costume. Do I have to be the arse again this year?

Marco
03-02-2009, 21:41
Hehehehe... Actually, I had you down as the 'middle leg' :lol:

Hey, at this rate, folk will be frightened to come into the room at all for fear of being mentally scarred for life! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Filterlab
03-02-2009, 23:00
....at this rate, folk will be frightened to come into the room at all for fear of being mentally scarred for life!..

I've a feeling that was the general consensus before the horse arse / middle leg thing. :doh:

Marco
03-02-2009, 23:04
Tee hee... <Snigger>

Marco.

Beechwoods
04-02-2009, 07:20
I'm sure that curiosity will get the better of them, once they hear all that squealing :)

John
04-02-2009, 07:30
I be up for going if someone in London area also wants too and is willing to pay half petrol costs
PM If you interested

Marco
09-02-2009, 21:11
Chaps,

Weather permitting I'm going down to the hotel tomorrow to check out the room we'll be using for the show. I'll get an idea of the dimensions and layout, etc, and also be finalising all the necessary arrangements so that things go smoothly on the day.

Once I've got all the info I'll come back and post it here :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
09-02-2009, 21:16
We want pictures and measurements, plus full floorplan! In 3D.

Marco
09-02-2009, 21:27
Aye, ye can want! ;)

Mikey's asked me to find out what the maid's uniforms are like, but I'm not sure if it's for him to look at or squeeze into... :lolsign:

Marco.

Mike
09-02-2009, 21:40
It's for YOU to put on for our entertainment. I'll be supplying whips and paddles to paying punters!

I'm sure you can imagine the rest.... :eyebrows:

Beechwoods
09-02-2009, 21:47
Should make for a robust and spirited exchange of opinions, eh Mike?! :lolsign:

Mike
09-02-2009, 21:56
I'm sure it'll make for a long and happy queue of people willing to pay good money to give Marco's ass a damn good paddling! :smoking:

Beechwoods
09-02-2009, 21:58
All for a good cause, needless to say :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
10-02-2009, 00:19
Hi Guys

If this oversteps the AUP just delete.

This was the safest image....there was a better one but I decided against it.:lolsign:;)

MARCO TAKES HIS PUNISHMENT......

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/Jenpurr/Bettie%20Page/BettiePage16.jpg

Regards D S D L---Neil ;)

Steve Toy
10-02-2009, 09:31
Neil, I have restored the image in the interest of the forum. It is not as though she is naked or anything.

AUP, what's that?

Marco
10-02-2009, 09:35
LOL! :eyebrows:

Unfortunately, chaps, Roy has been informed me that there is severe flooding in the area of the hotel so the trip has been cancelled. It will however be rearranged for sometime next week.

I'll keep you posted :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
10-02-2009, 09:38
if it is tuesday news week i can go.

Marco
10-02-2009, 09:39
I shall find out later.

Marco.

Mr. C
10-02-2009, 21:14
IT is a nice place guys, providing a great back drop.
Should be fun, microphany and all !

Marco
25-02-2009, 18:09
Guys, as the event draws ever closer, can I get a rough idea of numbers? Shout "Yo, big man" if you're coming to the show on Sunday and if you're bringing anyone with you :cool:

Just to recap after the recent deletion of the forum by a mindless moron, we're in the Rutland suite on the ground floor of the hotel where our system will be demonstrated. Let's all have a fun time and support the event as much as possible!

Marco.

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 18:14
Yo, big man :lol:

John
25-02-2009, 18:14
Would like to come but do not want to make the journey by myself so not able to make it; have fun!

Marco
25-02-2009, 18:19
No worries, John. If I lived nearer I'd give you a lift no problem. Btw, I'll be doing your usergroup thing later for music room mod :)

Marco.

Marco
25-02-2009, 18:20
Yo, big man :lol:

Are you coming alone or are you bringing your boyfriend, too? ;)

Marco.

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 18:24
Oooooooooooh. You rotter.

I'll be on my own. I wouldn't want to make you jealous!

Marco
25-02-2009, 18:46
Hehehehe... Remember you've still got to complete your 'initiation' into the AOS management team. We'll attend to that little ceremony in the basement around 3pm :eyebrows:

Marco.

Covenant
25-02-2009, 19:09
Yo, big man
I shall be bringing my good lady wife who will expect a high quality lunch from me for having to put up with me listening in rapture to various boxes.

baron
25-02-2009, 20:10
Yo, big man. May bring a friend.

Mike
25-02-2009, 20:36
Yo little woman (that's right isn't it? :eyebrows:)

I think Andy's coming along with me. WD88 might be there too (if there's likely to be any 'playtime')...

Marco
25-02-2009, 20:39
Haha, aye! :lolsign:

Good stuff, chaps, let's keep it coming. We'd like as many people to attend as possible :)

When else will you get the opportunity to meet a genuine celebrity (me) and hear an outstanding system? :lol:

Marco.

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 20:47
Remember though, numbers will be limited once Marco and his bloody big head are in residence :lolsign:

Mike
25-02-2009, 20:50
When else will you get the opportunity to meet a genuine celebrity (me) and hear an outstanding system?

I've told you before, that's the wrong spelling...

L-U-N-A-T-I-C ....... You should be able to manage that by now! :confused:

Steve Toy
25-02-2009, 20:57
The system is a collaborative effort - a kind of 'dream team.'

Mike
25-02-2009, 20:58
The system is a collaborative effort - a kind of 'dream team.'

Plenty of those around here! :lol:

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 21:01
I'm the dreamiest though :eyebrows:

Marco
25-02-2009, 21:22
Remember though, numbers will be limited once Marco and his bloody big head are in residence :lolsign:

Hehehe... You're gonna love chewin' real hard on that snooker ball, bubba :eyebrows:

Marco.

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 21:27
:eek:

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
25-02-2009, 21:28
Yo little woman (that's right isn't it? :eyebrows:)

I think Andy's coming along with me. WD88 might be there too (if there's likely to be any 'playtime')...

Yep - Looks like I can get there ok, no extra shifts looming at the mo.
Mike will sort stuff out with you later.

Andy - SDDW

Primalsea
26-02-2009, 12:24
I will be there and with luck will have a friend with me.

I'm fairly certain he's real too!

Beechwoods
26-02-2009, 12:42
Paul if you want to hold on to that attenuator set til Sunday you could pocket any postage :) I'll buy you a lemonade too ;)

EDIT: Just got home and your package arrived today. I'll still get you a can of pop when I see you on Sunday :lol:

Primalsea
26-02-2009, 19:07
I expect feedback of the non hifi kind:)

Marco
27-02-2009, 08:56
Looks like we'll have a reasonable crew there, chaps :)

The more the merrier, though, so if there's anyone else considering coming let me know!

Marco.

Gromit
27-02-2009, 09:14
See you all there chaps. :)

I was bringing my kit but had a late-allocated gig in Manchester come in for this saturday night so had to bail out. Getting back to London at 2-3am and then loading the car up at 5am to travel up to Melton just wasn't going to be on the cards I'm afraid, apart from which I haven't got guaranteed use of the car anyway. :(

Anyway - really looking forward to popping up as a visitor, so if you see some big bloke wandering around in motorcycling gear, looking knackered it'll most likely be me. :)

Marco
27-02-2009, 09:49
Nice one, Richard. I look forward to seeing you there. I expect you'll be along to check out the Techy ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
27-02-2009, 10:25
Yo big boy. Just me, Esther is off to a HUGE market in Vauxhall for the day. :)

WikiBoy
27-02-2009, 11:49
Nice one, Richard. I look forward to seeing you there. I expect you'll be along to check out the Techy ;)

Marco.

If I decide to come I will bring one of my 4 :eyebrows: (I am cornering the spares market) PL-71s, completely unmodded straight out the box circa 1974 with bog standard DL103. Just to show what a real DD does.

jandl100
27-02-2009, 12:11
If I decide to come I will bring one of my 4 :eyebrows: (I am cornering the spares market) PL-71s, completely unmodded straight out the box circa 1974 with bog standard DL103. Just to show what a real DD does.

Bring it up to my room, Richard - 2nd Floor, S18 - let's see if it beats the pants off my Denon dd tt like I think it would!

Marco
27-02-2009, 12:12
Richard,

You are most welcome to come. It would be nice to say 'hello' :)

I hope you do because I'd love to hear the PL-71 and indeed had hoped that Gromit would have brought his, although unfortunately as he's explained that won't be the case.

If the PL-71 is better than I will certainly acknowledge it as so, although I doubt I would go out and buy one myself (should any be available) as I prefer to have a T/T that I know has new parts inside and is 100% serviceable, not to mention most importantly, that I'd have no idea how the Pioneer would perform in my system at home. There are simply too many variables involved.

Marco.

WikiBoy
27-02-2009, 12:51
Richard,

You are most welcome to come. It would be nice to say 'hello' :)

I hope you do because I'd love to hear the PL-71 and indeed had hoped that Gromit would have brought his, although unfortunately as he's explained that won't be the case.

If the PL-71 is better than I will certainly acknowledge it as so, although I doubt I would go out and buy one myself (should any be available) as I prefer to have a T/T that I know has new parts inside and is 100% serviceable, not to mention most importantly, that I'd have no idea how the Pioneer would perform in my system at home. There are simply too many variables involved.

Marco.

No body has asked you to buy one, you do what you want. Anyway the whole point in getting all these wrecked ones from the US is to look at the possibilities of putting the basis of it back into production. I am looking into it at the moment. The electronics and the plinth / physical side are easy, the two expensive problems are the platter and most of all the motor. Nothing is impossible, it is if I want to spend the time and the money doing it.

Marco
27-02-2009, 12:59
I hope you're successful in putting the Pioneer back into production - that would be most interesting.

I was simply outlining what I would do in the scenario of the Pioneer on the day being better than the Techy. I've got no idea what the outcome will be as I don't know what to expect from the PL-71. It'll be fun finding out though :)

I think what's important to remember is that this is primarily a fun day out and a social exercise, not a 'competition' :cool:

Marco.

Steve Toy
27-02-2009, 13:26
At the top of tha agenda is definitely FUN. This is a day for enthusiasts.

Filterlab
27-02-2009, 14:34
At the top of tha agenda is definitely FUN...

Is that some kind of weird acronym for an unusual game you play involving vegetables and lube?

Marco
27-02-2009, 14:46
If you notice him walking funny it'll only be because the cucumber he's got stuffed down his absorbent crinoline jogging bottoms is chaffing against the nylon of his panty girdle ;)

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Beechwoods
27-02-2009, 18:49
Well I'll definitely be wearing the stainless steel safety pants my mum had permanently installed on me when I hit my 18th birthday. It may offer scant protection against whatever initiation you've got planned for me but I'll take my chances.

alfie2902
27-02-2009, 20:49
Yo, Big man, i will be there, i'll come for a listen.
I'll be on my own though as my better half says "She's seen enough speakers & bits of wire to last a life time":lolsign:

John
27-02-2009, 20:52
Have fun everybody

Beechwoods
27-02-2009, 20:57
Cheers John! It's a shame you can't make it but hopefully we'll get to meet up and say hello properly at some future event closer to your end of the world :)

John
27-02-2009, 21:10
Yes would love that really looking forward to sharing a few drinks and talking music

SPS
27-02-2009, 21:38
I'll feel quite at home i would guess as my room is next door to the AOS room..
i'm possibly on my own for the day.. so i may not make it out of my room

if any one fancies little baby sitting my system?..

see you all sunday...

Marco
28-02-2009, 08:23
Nice one, Steve. I didn't know you had hired a room - I thought you were just coming as a visitor! :)

We'll have to put my p/p amp on your Lowthers at some point and rock da hotel :guitar: :fingers:

Marco.

jandl100
28-02-2009, 12:03
I'll feel quite at home i would guess as my room is next door to the AOS room.

I reckon you'll spend most of your time banging on the adjoining wall and shouting "turn that bloody racket down!" :lolsign:

SPS
28-02-2009, 19:31
I reckon you'll spend most of your time banging on the adjoining wall and shouting "turn that bloody racket down!" :lolsign:

i can you see where your coming from.. but i dont think the aos room will sound that bad

only joking....

muffinman
01-03-2009, 07:31
happy bakeoff you guys - look forward to the reports

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
01-03-2009, 07:40
My dirver for the day will be arriving shortly ( Mike Homer )

Look forward to seeing you all there, should be great fun :)

Andy - SDDW

jandl100
18-03-2009, 08:02
I see from the Wigwam forum that everyone was sufficiently pleased with the Show that a return in 2010 is being actively planned.

Will AOS be there too? :)

Marco
18-03-2009, 13:34
Yes, definitely - more on this later! :)

Marco.