PDA

View Full Version : Quad ESL 57s

combwork
20-11-2008, 11:30
For sale, a pair of Quad ESL 57s, serial numbers 9348 and 9309. According to Quad, they were manufactured in 1963. There is some history with these speakers. They were bought new by the owners of a famous Scottish whiskey distillers, then when they moved house they were stored away in an attic for many years, so they have not had much use. Condition is very good; a few small scuffs on the bronze grills (not noticeable unless you know where to look), and a couple of marks on the edge of the black wood behind the speakers. Quad recommend that these speakers be left powered up at all times; if you do this they are absolutely silent. The room they are in is slightly damp; I've found that if I leave them unplugged for more than a few hours, when powered up the one nearest the wall (damp?) gives a slight hiss for about four minutes.

They sound absolutely superb; I have never heard speakers with such clarity. I am selling them because there is just no way the room they are in can be turned into a proper listening room, and they deserve this. Included in the sale are mains leads with Bulgin plugs, some rather nice silvered speaker cables (can't remember the make but they were not cheap), a pair of ceiling hanging frames from the music department of Keele University, and an original Quad Electrostatic Speaker Instruction Book.

These speakers are totally original; their condition is due to them being stored away for so long.

Price £525 ONO. If you agree to collect, you can hear them before committing to buy. If I have to I can arrange delivery, but only by Shore Porters (Aberdeen). They are used to handling antique furniture and know how to blanket wrap. Having said that, the grills are very fragile, so risk of damage and transit insurance has to be the new owners responsibility. Anyone interested can give me their address including postcode and I'll get a delivery quote.

PS. Don't be frightened by the price; I'd rather they went to someone who can appreciate them than haggle over the last £1.

PRICE CUT TO £400 No Offers. Listed at this price for one week only. If not sold by November 30th, please consider them as withdrawn from sale.

Steve Toy
25-11-2008, 20:37
Bump!

combwork
27-11-2008, 19:19
I don't mind a deal that completes after November 30th as long as it's in place by then. What I don't want is a long string of maybe's/could be's that goes nowhere. I have as they say "been there before" with other equipment.

I have a little more information. On the speaker with the slight hiss on cold startup, the felt baffle appears loose at the bottom at the back. On another forum/thread I've read that this is a known cause of 'start-up hiss'. It's easily fixed, but to do so the back has to come off the speaker. I don't want to do this, I like listening to them too much plus I don't know what the safe discharge time is. The baffle appears to be a kind of close weave felt; when running I can hear no difference to the sound between each speaker.