PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player

RochaCullen
11-11-2011, 14:41
Hi All,

I have the option to get myself a second hand Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player for €500. Do you think it is worth it?

My current home cinema kit is very basic. Plus I've not so far contracted the Hi-Def bug when it comes to movies. I have a HD box for normal TV, but DVD does me fine for films at the moment.

Given the quality of the amp my gut is telling me it would be a good purchase.

Any thoughts?

Nathan

jon1
11-11-2011, 19:26
Hi All,

I have the option to get myself a second hand Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player for €500. Do you think it is worth it?

My current home cinema kit is very basic. Plus I've not so far contracted the Hi-Def bug when it comes to movies. I have a HD box for normal TV, but DVD does me fine for films at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Nathan

For both it is a good price:eyebrows:to upscale your dvds through the player looking at it dvi-d connection..I think you can get a cable with HDMI at one end..go for it ..;)

jon

Reid Malenfant
11-11-2011, 19:35
Hi Nathan, the DVD player was exceedingly expensive when it was made & is in fact a universal player if my memory is correct :eyebrows: It'll play SACDs & quite possibly DVDA as well.

A quick look online reveals that a certain Mark Grant may well be able to supply you with an HDMI output board for the DVD player, that is unless I'm seeing things on another forum. As it is though the component outputs will be top notch & if you plug them into the back end of your TV & let the TV scale up I think you may well be quite surprised at the resulting picture quality as you'll be feeding it a top notch progressive signal. There are quite a few converters that will accept component video & output HDMI as well now I think about it :)

It's built like a tank & would probably make a superb CD transport if used with an external DAC such as a Caiman... That's just the DVD player...

As for the amplifier, well seven channels of 125W RMS of power doesn't come cheap & imho if you think the amplifier is quality I'd think that the DVD player is higher quality than the amplifier at the end of the day ;)

It's certainly worth the money if that's the route you want to take, in fact I'd do similar in the way of the amplifier as I don't want my AV video going through the amp via HDMI, I punt it straight off to the display....

Obviously even thought the DVD player is an older top notch bit of kit I'd find it harder to let it sway me as I spin lots of blu rays, but if you only spin DVDs etc then you won't find much better.

Make an offer & flash the cash & see what happens is what I would do if in your situation ;) Always try & beat em down :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
11-11-2011, 19:37
For both it is a good price:eyebrows:to upscale your dvds through the player looking at it dvi-d connection..I think you can get a cable with HDMI at one end..go for it ..;)

jon
Damn, I forgot about the DVI-D connection :doh: Jon is right, you just need a cable with HDMI one end & DVI-D the other :cool:

Even better..

Spectral Morn
11-11-2011, 19:56
The amp is a no brainer, even at £500 with an FOC high end DVD player. Just shows how much AV gear loses its value :doh::(

I use a Denon AVC- A1Se and its brilliant with all my video connections direct to the TV (still CRTV)

I compared this amp to a Yamaha top of the range AV (2500) amplifier about 4 years ago and the Denon destroyed it sonically and that despite the fact the Yamaha had all the latest sound processing tech (at the time anyway, no idea what's top now)

Regards D S D L

jon1
11-11-2011, 20:01
We all agree then:eyebrows:.GO FOR IT nathan

jon

Mark Grant
11-11-2011, 20:38
I would also say buy them :)

http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/amplification/denon-avc-a11sr-av-reciever/

http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/avca11sr/index.htm

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=HomeTheatre&SubId=BlurayUniversalPlayer&ProductId=DVDA11

http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dvda11/

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?48989-Denon-Dvd-A11-high-end-Dvd-Cd-Sacd-player

When new the RRP was something like £2000.00 for the amp + £1700.00 for DVD.:eek:

jon1
11-11-2011, 21:11
I would also say buy them :)

http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/amplification/denon-avc-a11sr-av-reciever/

http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/avca11sr/index.htm

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=HomeTheatre&SubId=BlurayUniversalPlayer&ProductId=DVDA11

http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dvda11/

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?48989-Denon-Dvd-A11-high-end-Dvd-Cd-Sacd-player

When new the RRP was something like £2000.00 for the amp + £1700.00 for DVD.:eek:

A shockingly good bargain mark:eyebrows:

jon

RochaCullen
12-11-2011, 09:41
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I guess I just needed that extra push before I went and made the purchase. I've spoken to the guy and I am going to go for it.

So I assume the DVI-D to HDMI goes straight from the DVD player to the TV?

What other connections would you guys recommend?

Thanks again,

Nathan

Reid Malenfant
12-11-2011, 17:30
So I assume the DVI-D to HDMI goes straight from the DVD player to the TV?
Yes, spot on :) The cables are easily available with a DVD-D on the one end & HDMI on the other. They are entirely compatable bar one single thing - DVI will not carry audio, it's video only but digital video which will give you the best picture. If for some reason you can't locate one then adapters are available to convert from DVI-D to HDMI which would go on the end of a DVI-D cable.

I wouldn't mind betting that the DVD player will have some kind of upsampler built in so you may be able to output either 720P or 1080i as per the Denon DVD2910. Your TV could then de-interlace it to produce 1080P. If it doesn't then I'm sure the TV will do as good as it can at doing the same trick.

You'll need to connect from the stereo outputs to an auxiliary socket on your TV & asign it to work with one of the HDMI inputs (shouldn't be to hard).

Meanwhile that leaves you the full surround stuff to go to the AV amp as there is usually a seperate stereo output for two channel. As an alternative you could use one of the digital audio outputs & feed that to the AV amp, or do both - in which case you could listen to the TV speakers or turn them down & give it some with the AV amp in stereo.

The world is going to be your oyster :eyebrows:

RochaCullen
13-11-2011, 09:13
Yet again, great info, thanks Mark.

:)

Yes, spot on :) The cables are easily available with a DVD-D on the one end & HDMI on the other. They are entirely compatable bar one single thing - DVI will not carry audio, it's video only but digital video which will give you the best picture. If for some reason you can't locate one then adapters are available to convert from DVI-D to HDMI which would go on the end of a DVI-D cable.

I wouldn't mind betting that the DVD player will have some kind of upsampler built in so you may be able to output either 720P or 1080i as per the Denon DVD2910. Your TV could then de-interlace it to produce 1080P. If it doesn't then I'm sure the TV will do as good as it can at doing the same trick.

You'll need to connect from the stereo outputs to an auxiliary socket on your TV & asign it to work with one of the HDMI inputs (shouldn't be to hard).

Meanwhile that leaves you the full surround stuff to go to the AV amp as there is usually a seperate stereo output for two channel. As an alternative you could use one of the digital audio outputs & feed that to the AV amp, or do both - in which case you could listen to the TV speakers or turn them down & give it some with the AV amp in stereo.

The world is going to be your oyster :eyebrows:

jon1
20-11-2011, 13:58
Hi All,

Any thoughts?

Nathan

Have you collected the pair yet Nathan?:eyebrows:

jon

RochaCullen
20-11-2011, 14:14
No, not yet. A friend of mine was meant to pick it up, but was not able so I am going to have to wait a little while for it. Its up in dublin, and I will be making the trip up myself come the end of the month.

Nathan

Have you collected the pair yet Nathan?:eyebrows:

jon

jon1
20-11-2011, 14:22
No, not yet. A friend of mine was meant to pick it up, but was not able so I am going to have to wait a little while for it. Its up in dublin, and I will be making the trip up myself come the end of the month.

Nathan

Can you wait that long?:eyebrows:

jon

RochaCullen
21-11-2011, 13:10
Unfortunately John, I will have to. However, the fact that I have put off the purchase of the denon set means I can make the other major purchase that I have been eyeing up for the last while, which is a proper preamp for my 2 channel system.

jon

RochaCullen
07-12-2011, 09:55
Well they have finally arrived. And oh my goodness they are huge. Some serious work had to be done to get them into the house.

I have them set up in my study at the moment blasting out a bit of Tears for Fears.

Will have to do a bit of doctoring of my TV unit to allow these things to fit in. So it will be a day or two till I can watch a film using them.

jon

jon1
07-12-2011, 17:50
Well they have finally arrived. And oh my goodness they are huge. Some serious work had to be done to get them into the house.

I have them set up in my study at the moment blasting out a bit of Tears for Fears.

Will have to do a bit of doctoring of my TV unit to allow these things to fit in. So it will be a day or two till I can watch a film using them.

I bet their was sum tears lifting them in to your study?:lolsign:

jon

RochaCullen
26-01-2012, 12:08
Hi All,

I've been meaning to take a couple of shots of the amp and player in situ, but not really had access to a decent camera of late.

When you do finally see a photo you will see that both items fit in very snuggly. It almost looks like the Unit was made for them, that is until you see that I had to cut the back off the TV unit so their backsides could hang out. :lol:

I've not been overly impressed with the picture quality, but I suspect that is because I am using them with an older HD-ready LG unit.

One problem I am having now however is that while CDs fire up immediately, a DVD might take a couple of goes before kicking off. Does this indicate the lens needs a clean, or something more drastic.

The amp is a joy. I've yet to properly sit down and go over the manual and get things configured correctly, but the jump in sound quality from my old yamaha AV rig is very clear. Even with my bog standard jamo compact surround speakers things are sounding pretty good. I've been thinking about getting some proper speakers for the amp, but given that I already have one man cave, I don't think it would be appreciated if I started putting big speaker boxes in our sitting room too.

I promise, some photos to come!! :)

Macca
26-01-2012, 13:30
I've noticed that current cheapo DVD players have a bettter picture than old expensive DVD players, mainly I think because the chips have improved so much over the years. Your Denon is what, 10 years old? Try a current range supermarket special player on the same telly I'll be very surprised if it doesn't beat the Denon for picture quality.

RochaCullen
26-01-2012, 14:02
I've noticed that current cheapo DVD players have a bettter picture than old expensive DVD players, mainly I think because the chips have improved so much over the years. Your Denon is what, 10 years old? Try a current range supermarket special player on the same telly I'll be very surprised if it doesn't beat the Denon for picture quality.

Where were you when I was thinking of buying the thing??? :doh:

Macca
27-01-2012, 08:51
Where were you when I was thinking of buying the thing??? :doh:

I thought you were going to use it for music....;)

dantheman91
06-01-2016, 12:47
Bought a Denon AVC A11SR

Ouch talk about the weight and i cant believe the price i got it for :eek: also has the remote.:)

Seems to be working :eyebrows:

Might need a larger rack....:doh: And a larger room the walls are closing in with gear at present i sold a lot bought a lot more...:doh: