PDA

View Full Version : Goodmans Graduate speakers?

Beobloke
04-11-2011, 12:47
OK then chaps and chapettes, I need to draw on the collective knowledge of the AoS!

As some may know, I used to work for Goodmans and have devloped a fascination (obsession?!) with the positively gargantuan range of models they produced over the years. I thought I knew most of them until yesterday when I was leafing through a recently acquired A5 size Hi-Fi Choice from the early 1980s, testing loudspeakers.

In the pages was the Goodmans Graduate loudspeaker, tested on its own and without its matching "Graduate Alpha" subwoofer module and this is a model I've never heard of before and neither, it appears, has the internet!. Intriguingly, retail price of these was £529, compared to the £130 of the Mezzos also tested, so I'm wondering if these were an unsuccessful attempt at moving the Goodmans brand a little bit upmarket (unfortunately, the HFC reviewer said he preferred the Mezzos!)

Any information gratefully recieved, to sate my curiosity!

spendorman
04-11-2011, 13:49
No clues from me I'm afraid. Bit of useless info, I used to work in the Factory opposite Goodmans in Lancelot Road Wembley.

Oldest Goodmans I have are a pair of the original Axiette 8's, with Alnico magnets. Quite nice sounding.

I think mine look like these:

http://www.vinylconnections.co.uk/axiette.htm

Beobloke
04-11-2011, 14:30
Wembley was before the Graduates' time I'm afraid! They were made in the early 1980s, when Goodmans were at Downley Road, Havant.

spendorman
04-11-2011, 14:32
Wembley was when they made real speakers!! lol