PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 01.11.2011: Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972 (Vinyl, CD)

SCIDB
02-11-2011, 04:35
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972 (Vinyl, cd)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510cBiPgbIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Fly_(soundtrack)

Spotify link:http://open.spotify.com/album/7E9l34w4W4R280AOaBwdqf

I'll start with a classic album. My choice is the 1972 offering from the late Curis Mayfield. This album was the soundtrack for a popular "Blakplotation" film, Superfly. The album set to capture a focus on poverty and drug abuse. He sets a story of "telling it like it is" around the characters in the film, telling a vibrant story without moralising.

This was one of the early Soul concept album, like Marvin Gaye's What's going on". It blends fine soul & funk with lyrical finesse.The album was a big seller in the USA, sporting the million selling singles, Freddie's dead & Superfly.

Curtis was a member of the big selling Soul group, The Impressions. The combined sweet harmonies with social aware lyrics. In 1970, Curtis went solo producing a range of fine albums blending soul & funk with political awareness, social comment on the situtation of the day. Superfly is one of his best albums and is still relevant today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_21?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=curtis+mayfield+superfly&sprefix=curtis+mayfield+super&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Acurtis+mayfield+superfly&ajr=1

Alex_UK
02-11-2011, 07:14
Great choice Dean, thank you. I've got it on CD, but might just have to seek out a vinyl copy.

John
02-11-2011, 07:27
I never listened to the album fully before but know a few of the tracks. I found the album easy to get into my only negatitive comment would be radio slots I could do without them.
I like Alex might purchase this on vinyl. I give it a few more plays before I decide
At the moment I give this a 4

Thing Fish
02-11-2011, 16:19
'Junkie chase' took me right back to the early cop shows of the 70s.

Great album and right in my teenage years bracket. Ultra mellow and relaxing especially with a bit of the old herb...;)

I just love 70s music...:)

A good 4/5 stars

SCIDB
02-11-2011, 18:30
I never listened to the album fully before but know a few of the tracks. I found the album easy to get into my only negatitive comment would be radio slots I could do without them.
I like Alex might purchase this on vinyl. I give it a few more plays before I decide
At the moment I give this a 4

Hi John,

The original version on vinyl has not got the the radio interviews on it. The album has been re-released a few times with extras added.

The 25th anniversary version has the most extras on it.

You should be able to get a vinyl version if you hunt around.

Bazil
02-11-2011, 18:55
Me no disco,funk,jive,soul - me hippy, prog, rock, indie.
But hang on Sloopy , the early 70's was my "time" and I may not have listened to disco, funk,jive, soul but my conscious must have because I have dropped right into this Superfly groove :booty:

4out of 5 :)

John
02-11-2011, 19:18
Hi John,

The original version on vinyl has not got the the radio interviews on it. The album has been re-released a few times with extras added.

The 25th anniversary version has the most extras on it.

You should be able to get a vinyl version if you hunt around.

Cheers Dean

Welder
03-11-2011, 20:00
While this is a good album I can’t help feeling it sells Curtis Mayfield a bit short.
You’ve got to love the Tabla and Bongo work on the album and the percussion in general.
Cool 70’s grooves that wont leave you with a headache but I wish I didn’t think of the film when I hear the music coz it was awful imo.
So Curtis, yep great, the album, because it’s a movie soundtrack, well, I’m not so sure.
3 out of 5 from me but not because of the musical talent but because it’s a soundtrack to a film.

The Grand Wazoo
03-11-2011, 20:37
Yet another interesting choice for Album Club.
I saw the film longer ago than I care to remember, but never really took much notice of the soundtrack to be honest. I've spun this twice so far this week & intend to spend a bit more time with it yet.
Pretty good so far.
Two things that I note:
1.The lyrics are pretty serious stuff.
2. For some reason I keep expecting to hear a soaring guitar solo from Ernie Isley, but never get one! Why the hell would I? He never went near the recording of this album!

Alex_UK
03-11-2011, 20:53
The lyrics are pretty serious stuff.

That's the only "problem" I have with Curtis Mayfield - the lyrics - not that they aren't good, but he does cover some serious ground, and not just with this soundtrack. Have to say he's unique, though - as soon as he opens his mouth on any record you instantly know it is Curtis.

John
03-11-2011, 21:00
Yet another interesting choice for Album Club.
2. For some reason I keep expecting to hear a soaring guitar solo from Ernie Isley, but never get one! Why the hell would I? He never went near the recording of this album!

:lolsign:

aquapiranha
03-11-2011, 21:50
Just checked and I only have the album 'Roots' so as soon as I get a chance, probably over the weekend, I will give it a go.

Alex_UK
04-11-2011, 10:57
If you've not heard the track that Bran Van 3000 did (with the blessing of Mayfield's widow) - give this a spin: http://open.spotify.com/track/5WdV3cj4TzwBIsKC6TdXyv

keiths
06-11-2011, 16:56
Really not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. For me, black music starts with blues and ends with jazz - I'm really not a fan of soul, funk or disco and found this very difficult to get through, especially given the nature of the lyrics.

I gave it "2" as I suspect it's good within its genre, but not something I'll be listening to again.

Audioman
06-11-2011, 21:53
I'm on the fence with this. I'm sure it sounds great on vinyl, the arrangements are well done and Mayfield had a great voice. I actualy quite like this orchestrated funk/soul from this period especialy The Temptations. This suffers from being a soundtrack to a film which never quite works as a stand alone album. I haven't seen the film but I understand its not good. Will give it benefit of the doubt so just makes a 3. Not for repeated listening though.

Marco
06-11-2011, 22:17
I really like this! Cool as fuck choons for cruising to in the car..... Some of it reminds me a bit of the kind of sounds that accompanied Starsky and Hutch! Yo' Huggy Bear... :eyebrows:

Track 11, the mix of 'Pusherman' is just boogietastic (as is the original 'Ghetto Child')... :dance:

Defo 4 out of 5 for moi. Some of you guys ain't go no soul, man!

Marco.

WAD62
07-11-2011, 10:21
An interesting choice...

Pusherman, Ghetto Child, and Superfly are the real standout tracks for me, the others are a little less engaging, I suppose I'm more enthused my the up tempo funky tracks.

I'm dithering between 3 & 4, I'll plump for 3...

Marco
07-11-2011, 10:42
For me, it's the up-tempo, funky, tracks that make the album. I'd buy if for those three tracks alone :)

Marco.

WAD62
07-11-2011, 11:04
For me, it's the up-tempo, funky, tracks that make the album. I'd buy if for those three tracks alone :)

Marco.

When Mr Mayfield does funky, he does it very well, the full 8 minute version of 'move on up' is still one of my favourites...:)

One of my mates does a rare groove funky DJ set, his first track on Saturday night was 'pusherman', I got some cool points for identifying and describing the whole superfly concept album...quite handy album club sometimes ;)

The CD came home with me too...just for archival purposes of course ;)

RichB
13-05-2012, 19:11
A 3 from me, you cant really knock Curtis... its not the type of thing I'd listen to on my own but could see this getting a spin at one of our Poker nights sometime soon. We tend to go for funk rather than the predicable blues!

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 16:41
Damn :steam: I just fancied a bit of this, but it looks like it's no longer available on Spotify :doh:

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2012, 16:50
It's on Grooveshark, Mark.
'ere tis (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Superfly/1470376)

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 16:56
It's on Grooveshark, Mark.
'ere tis (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Superfly/1470376)
Thanks Chris :youtheman:

:)

Think I'll have to join that as well & see what's on there :cool:

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2012, 17:01
No joining required, I don't think, just click the link & listen.

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 17:03
No joining required, I don't think, just click the link & listen.
Yes, that was certainly the case with Nicks album. Maybe you are right, but I'm sure I saw a place to log in or register, perhaps that is for something else entirely :eyebrows:

Once again thanks for the link though :)

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2012, 17:05
You're welcome.

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 19:08
Well that's a very solid 4/5 from me, really enjoyed it :eyebrows: Reminds me of oh so many films from the seventies & America as depicted in the movies.

I guess it was a hot summers day in San Francisco :D

I may well have to see if I can find this on CD, if it's at the right price then I'll be purchasing :cool:

Barry
25-10-2012, 23:47
I'm generally wary of 'soul-funk', however Mayfield is one of the better practitioners. Beautiful production - 4/5 from me.

I remember seeing Mayfield at the 1970(?) bath Festival.

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:26
Excellent album 10/10