PDA

View Full Version : Disused Airfields

Haselsh1
10-10-2011, 10:13
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/RAFWombletonNo1.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/RAFWombletonNo2.jpg

I've put up two photographs of an old disused RAF base fairly close to were I live as being a photographer, I have a passion for the vast disused spaces. The first image shows a huge thunderstorm racing across the North Yorkshire Moors in the distance whereas the second image shows the intersection of the main runways and some rather attractive summer clouds. Needless to say, the images were shot last summer, not this summer.

synsei
10-10-2011, 15:46
I can almost hear the Skylarks singing away in the bottom pic Shaun and the first is full of menace. Excellent shots sir!!! :clap:

Gromit
10-10-2011, 16:44
I can almost hear the Skylarks singing away in the bottom pic Shaun and the first is full of menace. Excellent shots sir!!! :clap:

Agreed. :)

Where we live in mid Lincs there are almost countless old WW2 RAF bases, in fact there's a chap who does day-long cycle tours (you cover about 35 miles apparently) around them. I really must get on one some time as a couple of mates at Cranwell have done the day and found it fascinating.

Jason P
10-10-2011, 22:19
Nice shots. I particularly like the tonal symmetry in the first one.

The Grand Wazoo
10-10-2011, 23:29
I used to manage some woodland that was planted around an airfield in South Yorks. It had been a relief runway for Bomber Command's RAF Finningley (now Doncaster airport). There was quite a bit of it remaining if you knew where to look.
We had an area called Bomb Dump - a section of the forest that was planted in 1956. There was a perimeter track and an internally concentric one running in a big arc. Between the two tracks were low brick & earth constructions with iron rings set into them where bombs were stored on carriages ready for loading onto aircraft bomb bays, the idea being that if one went off, the force of the explosion would be directed upwards by the infrastructure rather than out to the other stored munitions.
The old control tower had been destroyed but there was still an old range remaining for sighting guns and a large circular concrete pad where planes were tethered down so that engines could be tested. The officers tennis court became a tree nursery!

Despite finding all of this very interesting, in the 11 years that I managed the place, I never felt sufficiently moved by it to take too many photos.