PDA

View Full Version : A Sunny Day in Whitby...

Haselsh1
06-10-2011, 10:47
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/ADayOutInWhitbyNo2.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/ADayOutInWhitbyNo1.jpg

In May of this year during what seemed like a very long, hot spring, I decided to go to Whitby for the day on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The above photo's are a couple of what I took during that scorching hot day. As a bonus and by pure chance, I bumped into an old friend in Whitby so we had a really good chat and grumble about the state of things and digital photography. He had noticed that I was using a Nikon F5 with a Nikon 85mm f1.8 lens which is definitely a film camera and was interested to know what the fascination was with old technology. I then got onto vinyl and valves. ENOUGH...!!!

Rare Bird
06-10-2011, 11:11
Nice i like Whitby i go quite a lot..The remains of St. Hilda's Abbey is a great to go & see..there's no more snakes and serpents thats for sure

Jason P
06-10-2011, 22:25
Sunny day in Whitby? Didn't see any goths then?

Lovely pics, very atmospheric.

Thing Fish
06-10-2011, 22:47
All looks a bit grim to me...;)

Haselsh1
07-10-2011, 08:09

I'm looking forward to going again on Halloween this year when there will be a massive gathering of Goths. It's easy for me as it is just twenty eight miles down the road. As with most seaside places though, parking is a true nightmare. The last time I went in the car some geezer down by the quayside was trying to charge eight pounds for the day...! I've heard of entrepreneurs but that was just taking the piss.

I love the Goth scene in Whitby but I mostly love the old Victorian Goths with their highly elaborate costumes. I really don't like the punk Goth scene but then I never did like anything punk.

Rare Bird
07-10-2011, 11:06

Can i just say this cos i get hacked of with people around me saying the same. ''Goths'' never were in the UK Nor is it 240AD :lol:

WAD62
07-10-2011, 12:46
Can i just say this cos i get hacked of with people around me saying the same. ''Goths'' never were in the UK Nor is it 240AD :lol:

Ah, the 'VisiGoths' as opposed to the 'QuasiGoths'...;)

Haselsh1
07-10-2011, 14:58
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/ADayOutInWhitbyNo3.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/ADayOutInWhitbyNo4.jpg

Just thought I would add a couple more images from the same day.

Rare Bird
07-10-2011, 15:16
Ah, the 'VisiGoths' as opposed to the 'QuasiGoths'...;)

Yeh Quasi as in looking stoopid

Mark Grant
07-10-2011, 17:10
Nice arty pictures :)

The last time I went in the car some geezer down by the quayside was trying to charge eight pounds for the day...! I've heard of entrepreneurs but that was just taking the piss.

We generally park near the old abbey ruins, much more peaceful and quiet than near town and costs less than £8.

link to google maps:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=yo22+4jt&hl=en&ll=54.486064,-0.604624&spn=0.002537,0.004737&sll=54.488426,-0.609843&sspn=0.002536,0.004737&vpsrc=6&gl=uk&hnear=Whitby,+North+Yorkshire+YO22+4JT,+United+Kin gdom&t=h&z=18
(Zoom out)

postcode YO22 4JT would find it with satnav.

A nice walk through the Abbey ruins and down past St Marys church into town and maybe call in at the Duke of York pub :cool:
http://www.dukeofyork.co.uk/

Lots of steps on the way back up to the car park though :)

council car park website.
http://www.scarborough.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=15762

Vinyleyes
08-10-2011, 12:11
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/ADayOutInWhitbyNo4.jpg

Just thought I would add a couple more images from the same day.

I love the atmosphere captured in these black and white shots ... correct me if I am wrong but do you feel that actual real film is still superior for capturing the true "feel" of a shot ........ I have an old Pentax Spotmatic from the 70's I think that your shots here are inspiring me to get it out of the drawer and see what it can do .... What film would you recommend these days .. I am totally out of touch .. for both B=W and colour ?

Here are a couple of Whitby Abbey shots on a "proper" sunny day :-) I love Whitby and often have a drive up there for some fish & chips and a stroll along the pier ... ,, Those steps are a "bugger' now though, :cool:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6222863230_3c4df8c02c_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/6222345117_273d09d583_z.jpg

Haselsh1
08-10-2011, 13:51
Brian, the Pentax Spotmatic is a true classic and is now considered 'vintage'. I often use a Pentax MX with an 80-200mm zoom but regarding your reference to film, I would like to add; if you are looking for an 'old world' look to your photographs then look no further than Ilford FP4+ as this is effectively old technology film. If you require something rather more refined and showing extreme quality then it simply has to be Fuji Acros 100 as this is the very best that is available today. Be aware though that the resolving power of the Fuji film may embarass your lens. For the developing of either film I would recommend Ilford ID-11 diluted either 1+1 or for a much sharper result, 1+3. Higher dilution developers produce a much sharper image than 'straight' developer but only to a point. There are other factors to take into account but that may be far too technical for this forum.

I shall always prefer old world silver technology to digital as the depth of image and tonal gradation is far superior with film. Black and white digital is simply abyssmal with a very flat, grey image tone that does nothing to flatter whatsoever. If your images are then printed in a genuine darkroom onto chlorobromide photographic papers the results are truly worthy of any high class gallery in the world. This is simply not true of digital which to be perfectly honest, is merely a facsimile of the real thing. Digital is for convenience, photography is for art.

Jason P
08-10-2011, 14:28
I shall always prefer old world silver technology to digital as the depth of image and tonal gradation is far superior with film. Black and white digital is simply abyssmal with a very flat, grey image tone that does nothing to flatter whatsoever. If your images are then printed in a genuine darkroom onto chlorobromide photographic papers the results are truly worthy of any high class gallery in the world. This is simply not true of digital which to be perfectly honest, is merely a facsimile of the real thing. Digital is for convenience, photography is for art.

Whilst I agree that film will always have that certain 'something' especially with regard to tonality, I can't agree that all digital is bad. I've been more than impressed with the tonal range that the X100 offers in BW mode, and the low light performance leaves most film standing, grain-wise.

Jason

Vinyleyes
08-10-2011, 14:45

Funny .. I always had that impression too .. without being in any involved in photography since I was a youngster really .. I loved was it .. Henri Cartier Bresson's photos .. they always had just so much depth and atmosphere to them .. and ... Blimey ! .. I have a vintage camera now to go with my hifi ... hehee!
I guess you do all your own developng .. I never got into that so will have to find somewhere to take it.

Thanks for the info .......... :cool:

DaveK
08-10-2011, 15:14
Speaking purely as an ocassional 'snapper' these days I just love to see examples of photographs taken by experts - subject is almost irrelevant - but the pics in the above thread I could look at and enjoy any time .
For me, please feel free to post further examples of both your work to illustrate any ongoing discussion - and I'm sure I'm not the only one :) .
I also love to read exchanges of opinions and experience by folks who know their subject so keep posting, some of it might even 'stick'.
Cheers,
Dave.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-10-2011, 16:05
Whilst I agree that film will always have that certain 'something' especially with regard to tonality, I can't agree that all digital is bad. I've been more than impressed with the tonal range that the X100 offers in BW mode, and the low light performance leaves most film standing, grain-wise.

Jason

You won't convince him!
I also disagree ... But it's a view that doesn't stand round these parts!

The Vinyl Adventure
08-10-2011, 16:15
More reading, including a link to the last time there was a film vs. Digital argument on aos http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/310-communication-comparison.html enjoy...
I'm not getting involved any more than that as I just makes me angry having my job and hobby reduced to meaningless crap by Shaun :)

Haselsh1
08-10-2011, 16:53
having my job and hobby reduced to meaningless crap by Shaun :)

One photograph says it all really. The more photographs you show, the more they speak volumes, always assuming they are good enough of course. The proof of the pudding has always been in the eating.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-10-2011, 19:04
But its subjective ...
You think film is leagues better!
I think digital is capable of producing film like results ...
You disagree ... Really that's the end of it, I'll never prove anything to you especially via a digital medium like a forum ...
We have been here before ...

My reaction, this time and last is because of the tone of your comments about digital ... They make me as a majority digital photographer feel like you have beef, or at least look down on digital photographers as inferior! That's where my issue is ... Not with your opinion on digital, just the way you word it and the feeling it inspires in me!

I no longer have any desire to prove anything to anyone, I enjoy my job and hobby immensely, I enjoy both digital and film, am more confident in digital and so that's the medium I produce my work in... So far I've never had any complaints, so I'm happy at that really

and anyway everytime I have tried to prove or at least make points with my work before I have always felt like I have dirtied it and and up removing it from the thread again anyway ...

So both on a personnal note and technical note I will decline ...

As an aside to all this, and I do feel I should apologise for bringing negativity in to one of your photography threads (you just rub me up the wrong way ;)) have you ever tried 'Nik silver efex' it's a very good bit of b&w conversion software that you might enjoy playing with even if it doesn't change your mind!

This was edited in silver efex, I'm not trying to prove anything, just show you a photo edited in a particular bit of software...
Its got all sorts of filters, tint & film simulations, local adjustments ... I'd guess you would find it interesting if nothing else

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_EPS0033-Edit.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
08-10-2011, 19:10
I already feel I have damaged my feeling toward that photo ... Even posting it in a different context ...
I hate having or being involved in convos like this!
On my forum we have none of this "this is better" that's inferior" stuff ... We just get on with enjoying photography and trying to get better at it ... That really should be all it's about!

Rare Bird
08-10-2011, 20:30
I hate living in Yorkshire but it sure is the best place for country side

Alex_UK
08-10-2011, 22:04
Superb image, Hamish. :)