PDA

View Full Version : "TX2575 Naked Foil Resistors"

Audiocom AV
07-11-2008, 18:15
Hello

We are in the process of evaluating the range of TX2575 Naked Foil resistors from Texas Instruments to use in our modifications. It uses the top-secret Z foil provided by Vishay, Israel. Resistors made Z foil cost four times more than the naked C/K foil TX2352 resistors.

The datasheet of the TX2575 can be viewed here;

http://www.texascomponents.com/pdf/tx2575.pdf

The TX2575 could be the closest to the perfect resistor. Has anybody had experience with the TX2575 or similar? I would be interested to hear you comments on sound quality.

Best Regards
Mark Bartlett

Dave Cawley
07-11-2008, 19:19
What is the substrate? Are they really Texas Instruments ?? They look similar to http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2391948 and they are good.

Dave

Audiocom AV
07-11-2008, 19:54
What is the substrate? Are they really Texas Instruments ?? They look similar to http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2391948 and they are good.

Dave

Hello Dave

The substrate is a Z-Foil (bulk metal foil), there are C, K & Z types, the Z-foil is the highest grade. The link to the RS part is a thick film resistor, quite different to thin film or bulk metal foil. My experience with thick film is that they are poor for audio, too noisy.

Best Regards
Mark Bartlett

Mike
07-11-2008, 20:06
More here: http://www.vishay.com/docs/63113/z201.pdf

Audiocom AV
07-11-2008, 20:13
More here: http://www.vishay.com/docs/63113/z201.pdf

Thanks Mike

One point, the Z201 is with the plastic insulator, the TX2575 is naked; no plastic or dipped ceramic insulator.

All the Best
Mark Bartlett

Dave Cawley
07-11-2008, 22:27
The Vishay ones look good. But were those Texas Instruments?? Thick film, Thin Film ? Can you explain ?

Dave

leo
08-11-2008, 00:28
Never tried these but a I have read reports that they are good, only thing is they are quite delicate.
Would be interesting to try these in a I/V stage, maybe something to try in my TDA1541S2 dac sometime, I currently use nude Caddocks.

Audiocom AV
08-11-2008, 09:48
The Vishay ones look good. But were those Texas Instruments?? Thick film, Thin Film ? Can you explain ?

Dave

Hello Dave

Texas Components Corporation is franchised by Vishay to complete the manufacturing process on resistors using Vishay bulk metal foil resistive elements purchased from Holon, Israel.

There is an excellent page here which explains the differences between thick film, thin film, foil resistors; scroll down;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

Mike
08-11-2008, 11:38
They seem to be very accurate and very quiet. Think I'd like to try them in a phono stage. :)

Audiocom AV
09-11-2008, 10:54
Never tried these but a I have read reports that they are good, only thing is they are quite delicate.
Would be interesting to try these in a I/V stage, maybe something to try in my TDA1541S2 dac sometime, I currently use nude Caddocks.

Hi Leo

The TX2575 could well be the best solution for a passive I/V stage. Over the next few weeks I am going to be evaluating the TX2575 in a Sony DAS-R1 using a pair of TDA1541A S2 DAC's, I will report back.

What is the part # of the nude Caddock resistors you are using?

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

Ian Walker
09-11-2008, 11:17
Hi Leo

Over the next few weeks I am going to be evaluating the TX2575 in a Sony DAS-R1 using a pair of TDA1541A S2 DAC's, I will report back.

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

Would you like to use mine to try it Mark?:)

leo
09-11-2008, 11:22
Hi Mark,

They're TF020's , others I tried are Riken, Caddock MK132, Vishay S102, a few cheap ones was Dale RN60, Wellwyn RC55 (did not like the RC55)

The TF020's are pretty transparent and not bad priced

Just had a look at the datasheet, it seems their not classed as nude types

Cheers,
Leo

Audiocom AV
09-11-2008, 11:38
Would you like to use mine to try it Mark?:)

Hello Ian

Nice to see you here again. I have prepared the list of resistors for the DAS-R1 analogue stage and will be starting by testing between 2-4 signal resistors to perceive the changes compared to the existing Carbon type. Despite the fact that on paper Carbon resistors are nosier than other types, the higher quality Japanese type’s sound very good.

If you are interested in the TX2575 for your DAS-R1 the upgrades could be arranged for your DAC once I have established performance, quantities and pricing.

Before embarking on the TX2575 route I fiercely recommend a Bybee purifier upgrade. The Bybee purifiers have served to take the DAS-R1 to new heights and have vastly improved all areas of sound well beyond expectation. The Bybee's have currently been installed for the AC input, secondary transformer supplies, +/- 15V analogue supplies, analogue output.

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

leo
09-11-2008, 11:46
If you like carbons Mark the Rikens are pretty good, unfortunately I think they maybe now discontinued
It seems a lot of the decent parts that are not ROHS complient are being dropped

Bybees, hmm, never tried those in anything yet, I've a lot about them

Audiocom AV
10-11-2008, 09:02
Bybees, hmm, never tried those in anything yet, I've a lot about them

Leo, I fiercely recommend you try the Bybee purifiers; they are an essential part of getting the best from digital and very effective in phono stages, amplification & loudspeakers. Ideally, start with one on the digital input of your DAC.

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

promachos
13-02-2009, 11:24
Does anyone know what's inside a Bybee purifier ?

promachos
13-02-2009, 11:36
Does anyone know what's inside a Bybee purifier ?

I found this "useful" piece of information whilst researching the Bybee device.

Quote-I actually use one with my toaster. I was having problems with evenly toasted bread. The quantum purifier resulted in a perfectly toasted slice every time regardless to whether it is a thick or thin slice, one slice or two, or even what the light/dark adjustment is set to.

promachos
13-02-2009, 11:51
And this snippett !

"And there's nothing superconducting at all about the Quantum Purifiers. Inside of them is a conventional 0.02 ohm metal film resistor and the devices measure... 0.02 ohms."

:lol::lol::lol:

Marco
13-02-2009, 15:12
Promachos,

Is there is any reason why I shouldn't delete the above three posts and then ban you?

Either use this forum to contribute sensibly and constructively to discussions or........

I think you get the picture!

Marco.

Steve Toy
13-02-2009, 17:14
Warning signs are there - no self introduction in the welcome area. A brief pm exchange with me which turned out to be useful, contents of which stay private as is good form but the existance of such exchange itself completes the picture of this guy and his intentions here.

Promachos, we need a genuine intro in the welcome area as we need to eliminate the possibility of trolling.

Mike
13-02-2009, 17:32
Before anyone gets 'trigger happy'... I've heard similar things too.

It could still be bollocks though.

Steve Toy
13-02-2009, 17:46
Aye.

leo
13-02-2009, 18:37
I can understand why some mock Bybee's, physically they do just look like painted low ohm resistors.
I've never tried them myself but after some more reading about them (filter through the BS) I've an idea what their actually supposed to do, I think theres more to these things than meets the eye;)

One thing I've learn't in this hobby, never judge a book by its cover

purite audio
13-02-2009, 18:47
Hmmmmm!

Marco
13-02-2009, 18:50
I admire your open-mindedness, Leo, and for 'thinking outside of the box' - a sure sign that you will always get the most from the equipment you use :)

Marco.

Mike
13-02-2009, 18:51
Anyone know where these Z-foils are available from yet?

Marco
13-02-2009, 18:59
Before anyone gets 'trigger happy'... I've heard similar things too.

It could still be bollocks though.

Mike,

Observe the posts of 'Pre65' and the second of 'Scotmoose' here (scroll about three quarters of the way down):

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Coincidence or not?

Regardless, it's yet another example of these idiots stirring the shit and slagging us off! Why can't the just ignore AOS and stick to their own forum? :mental:

Marco.

leo
13-02-2009, 19:13
I admire your open-mindedness, Leo, and for 'thinking outside of the box' - a sure sign that you will always get the most from the equipment you use :)

Marco.

I can't claim they actually work BTW, as said above I've never tried them personally.
I just wish people would do a little more homework before easily dismissing something :) tbh I think a lot of BS usually used for advertising this sort of stuff is one of the main reasons for all the mocking

Marco
13-02-2009, 19:31
That's true, but sometimes you have to brush that aside and use an open mind to ascertain the potential viability of a product or not. I never form conclusive opinions in hi-fi without listening to the product in question first or the effect an add-on component or accessory is supposed to have.

Only by having practical experience of using something can you comment with authority on its efficacy or otherwise.

I just wish people would do a little more homework before easily dismissing something.

Indeed!!

Marco.

promachos
13-02-2009, 19:34
Promachos, we need a genuine intro in the welcome area as we need to eliminate the possibility of trolling.

Sorry,i'm not sure what "trolling" means !

I am very sceptical of devices that use the sort of techno gobbldygook to baffle people that they,for one, use.

I admit i have not tried one,but i have to go with my "technical" knowledge that has been accumulated in a lifetime working in electronics.

At the end of the day i respect the opinion of those who say they work,but i am still a non believer.

If this forum is against free opinion,then i will leave of my own accord,just let me know.

Colin.

Marco
13-02-2009, 19:53
I admit i have not tried one,but i have to go with my "technical" knowledge that has been accumulated in a lifetime working in electronics.

At the end of the day i respect the opinion of those who say they work,but i am still a non believer.

That's fine, and I'm glad you added that last sentence, but in my experience it pays never to arrive at a definitive conclusion about anything in hi-fi until you've tried it first yourself. Scepticism is healthy, cynicism isn't.

If this forum is against free opinion,then i will leave of my own accord,just let me know.

Not in the slightest, but we ask you to observe 'Our Ethos'. Have you read it?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17

We also ask our new members to pop into the welcome area and introduce themselves, tell us what system they're running, a bit about the music they like, and generally make themselves known to the membership. You have still to do this, so I would respectfully ask you to comply with our wishes before posting further in the main sections of the forum.

We value transparency here, Colin, not anonymity - I'm sure you respect that :)

Marco.

Mike
13-02-2009, 20:25
Mike,

Observe the posts of 'Pre65' and the second of 'Scotmoose' here (scroll about three quarters of the way down):

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Coincidence or not?

Regardless, it's yet another example of these idiots stirring the shit and slagging us off! Why can't the just ignore AOS and stick to their own forum? :mental:

Marco.

Probably... Like I said,
I've heard similar things too

This sort of 'chat' has been around a while about the Bybee's in DIY circles. I've commented neither for or against them as I've never even seen one, let alone heard whatever effect they my (or indeed, may not) have.

So.... Back to the naked Z foils, eh? ;)

Can they be bought anywhere yet? :confused:

Audiocom AV
13-02-2009, 21:11
Hello

I am currently making further evaluations on the TX2575 in our reference DAC, a modified Sony DAS-R1. A pair of these Z-Foil resistors replaced the Japanese carbon type used in the output coupling stage. The improvements here surpassed any expectation. I had anticipated improvements in clarity, transparency, but these 2 resistors have improved the overall spectrum from lowest bass to treble. Resolution has also improved. Not only are the TX2575 incredibly transparent, quiet, they are very musical, natural sounding, and appear to exhibit no sonic character of their own; the closest I have heard to a ‘piece of wire’.

Best Wishes
Mark /Audiocom

Mike
13-02-2009, 21:31
Mark...

Stop bloody teasing and SELL the little sods!!! :eyebrows:

I know a fair number of guy's looking around for an outlet.

Audiocom AV
14-02-2009, 08:07
Mark...

Stop bloody teasing and SELL the little sods!!! :eyebrows:

I know a fair number of guy's looking around for an outlet.

Hi Mike

To start with we are including them in our higher level modifications, then the more commonly used values, 100R, 22R, etc, will be available from our web store.

Thanks for your interested

Mark/ Audiocom

Mike
15-05-2010, 15:39
Here's some naked Z-Foils if anyone is interested...

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/car_resistors.html

Pricey but not ridiculous, especially when compared to the cost of audio caps.

Cheers.