PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 27.09.2011: Judie Tzuke - Welcome to the Cruise (1979) (Vinyl, CD, MP3)

Audioman
27-09-2011, 10:34
I picked this as it is a rather different style of music than the previous selections and is a recording that should appeal to audiophiles.
Very successfull album in it's day but now rather neglected. Contains 'Stay With Me Till Dawn' the only Judie Tzuke track that's ever played on radio unless you listen to Bob Harris.

This like the 'Dire Straits' album was a success against the background of New Wave and Disco music popular at the time. An excellent recording that makes the most of multitracking and lush orchestrations to produce complex sound textures. The song writing by Tzuke and Paxton is also consistent. An album with hardly any filler. This one should have had an audiophile release but was beset by licencing problems through the years.

The original LP release was on Elton John's Rocket Record Company label (Train 7) and I believe there was a later CD release before going out of print for some years. There are plenty vinyl copies for sale on ebay.

It has been available again on CD exclusively through JT's Big Moon web site for nearly 10 years but a new release on the Wrasse label can be purchases on Amazon and I presume any brick and mortar stores still existing. In fact Judie is a bit of a pioneer in managing her music via the net having her own studio and releasing all new material this way since 1996.

I think this one may be another that divides opinion. :sofa:

http://open.spotify.com/artist/7eo4Kn4hJuwXKCD6nOl2Kh

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welcome-Cruise-Judie-Tzuke/dp/B003E6YBDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317118977&sr=8-1

http://www.tzuke.com/cruise.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records-/306/i.html?_nkw=tzuke+welcome+to+the+cruise&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Records&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Cruise

MartinT
27-09-2011, 10:56
Excellent choice, Paul. I'll pull out my vinyl copy and have another listen.

keiths
27-09-2011, 11:20
I remember listening to this at the time, but don't now seem to have a copy on any format. I have ordered it on vinyl off eBay.

John
27-09-2011, 12:10
I have a good listen to this on Wednesday I remember seeing Judie play live and being quite entranced by her I think it was at the Mean Fidler in Harlesden I never got round to getting albums by Judie generally abit to light in my musical prefences but I am looking forward to hearing Judie after all these years

Tim
27-09-2011, 12:16
Lol, another of my favourite albums from my youth! I have this on both vinyl and CD and was only playing it a few weeks ago. Another easy 5 stars from me - I love it, even on Spotify :)

WAD62
27-09-2011, 14:01
This is something I disliked at the time, and a re-listen on spotify has merely confirmed my original opinion.

I think the phrase 'bland MOR' pretty much covers it for me, 'Bring the rain' & 'new friends again' at least got a full play, but the rest required a FFWD, in fact the spotify adverts came as a welcome relief after some tracks. ;)

Not an album I'll want to hear again...

1 star

aquapiranha
27-09-2011, 15:21
Fantastic album. I have been a fan of Judie Tzuke for many years (her daughter can sing too!) and once was lucky enough to see here in concert, a good few years ago now in Liverpool at a very small venue on Hanover St.

Quite apart from her beautiful and haunting lyrics, the musicianship on that particular album is first class too and I often enjoy chilling out to it in the evening.

:)

Bazil
27-09-2011, 18:03
For some reason I don't buy or listen to female artists, the odd record I hear on the radio I like but would never buy the album.
I remember the single "..till dawn" of course and it had a nice haunting chorus but I'm afraid the album does nothing for me, sorry.

Bazil
27-09-2011, 18:03
Don't know why double post, only clicked once?

MartinT
27-09-2011, 18:14
Judie Tzuke takes me back to student days and being at each other's houses playing music all night. I have always had a soft spot for her. Her singing range is actually quite narrow but it's the songwriting that wins through and the style of her backing on this album. I hope Bailey gets a proper break as her singing is even better.

I was lucky enough to see Judie and Bailey in concert this year and she hasn't lost her magic at all. 5 stars from me.

Thing Fish
27-09-2011, 18:38
Well its a nice album with nice songs. Afraid it doesn't really get me in any shape or form although I did remember buying the single when it came out and I recognised 'For you' as being the B side.

Although it was 1979 it still has those horrible 80s drum sounds and why put flange on her voice? Either that or she was singing next to a wendy cabinet?

I don't hate it per se but I wouldn't buy it.

DSJR
27-09-2011, 18:50
Went to see her live, recording a BBC radio gig at the Paris Studios in Regent St thirty years or more ago. Lovely lady and lovely music IMO...

The first CD issue on Rocket Records spoiled it for me, because there was a tape drop-out right in the middle when she wants to "break out and SAA*?*!AAAyaaaay. This track on a compilation CD I have somewhere doesn't do this, so either a different tape was used, or the original may have just suffered on that one pass - there is a problem with many masters that the oxide comes away from the backing due to normal humidity and tapes have to be baked for a while to enable them to be played - once only I understand.

Anyway, Judie has a way with her singing that I find quite enchanting and as for her wonderful album "Left Hand Talking" from 1994(edit - 1991, was it really that long ago?).................... :peace:

Joe
27-09-2011, 19:01
As the mighty HMHB sang:

There are questions in corners of my mind that lurk
Like how do the road gritters get to work?
Answer me that and you could win a cruise
Here’s Judie Tzuke to take us up to the news

Half Man Half Biscuit: When The Evening Sun Goes Down

I didn't get the Cruise/Tzuke reference till now!

Audioman
27-09-2011, 19:26
Went to see her live, recording a BBC radio gig at the Paris Studios in Regent St thirty years or more ago. Lovely lady and lovely music IMO...

The first CD issue on Rocket Records spoiled it for me, because there was a tape drop-out right in the middle when she wants to "break out and SAA*?*!AAAyaaaay. This track on a compilation CD I have somewhere doesn't do this, so either a different tape was used, or the original may have just suffered on that one pass - there is a problem with many masters that the oxide comes away from the backing doe to normal humidity and tapes have to be baked for a while to enable them to be played - once only I understand.

Anyway, Judie has a way with her singing that I find quite enchanting and as for her wonderful album "Left Hand Talking" from 1994.................... :peace:

I think this was a Rocket Record error in transfering to digital. The latest 'Moon on a Mirrorball' compilation is free of errors. I believe the tapes were good when Elton finaly and generously handed them to Judie. 'Left Hand Talking' is 1991. I have the rare vinyl. It's a pity this and others did not receive the necessary record company promotion to be a success. This album is now available on Cherry Red label but Judie appears to have no access to the material, none of which is included in the above compilation CD.

MartinT
27-09-2011, 20:33
I've just been listening to 1989's Turning Stones on vinyl and Judie still does it for me :)

DSJR
27-09-2011, 21:21
I think this was a Rocket Record error in transfering to digital. The latest 'Moon on a Mirrorball' compilation is free of errors. I believe the tapes were good when Elton finaly and generously handed them to Judie. 'Left Hand Talking' is 1991. I have the rare vinyl. It's a pity this and others did not receive the necessary record company promotion to be a success. This album is now available on Cherry Red label but Judie appears to have no access to the material, none of which is included in the above compilation CD.

Thanks for the correction - I first heard this album on vinyl and the emotion and wash-of-sound production brought tears to my eyes on so many tracks. My CD had the "Belt" treatment done to it by Jimmy, so there's bits of foil and all sorts on it - sounded "better" to me afterwards, but it's ages since I played it last - now that reminds me.....

John
28-09-2011, 17:56
I found this a patchy affair their at times when I totally seduced and times when it just has me wanting to move to the next track
Sorry

Thing Fish
28-09-2011, 17:59
I'm sure I gave this album 3 out of 5 but its not showing up on the poll...?

Audioman
28-09-2011, 18:43
I'm sure I gave this album 3 out of 5 but its not showing up on the poll...?

Looks like you accidently gave it 5 or 2 judging from votes v posters. :)

Thing Fish
28-09-2011, 18:47
I must have been on planet mong...:lol:

Reid Malenfant
28-09-2011, 18:52
Nice vacation, i know it well ;)

:smoking:

Vinyleyes
29-09-2011, 03:44
This one not for me ... did not involve me at all at the time .. and things have not changed.. far too MOR.

I never saw her live but I am sure that would have been much better than this album at any rate ......... and I respect her as a sterling and honest performer over the years and so will give it a 3.

:cool:

WAD62
29-09-2011, 08:49

You can tell what vote you gave, as that key to the voting histogram will be in italics for that selection...;)

SCIDB
29-09-2011, 21:54
Hi,

I remember the the track "Stay with me till dawn" from back in 79. I was a song that was played at some of the discos I went to. It was one of tunes for the last dance. Not bad.

I have of this album knocking about some I gave it spin. I have to admit that only the well know track stands out for me. There are alright tracks but nothing that grabs me much.

It's not awful but it doesn't do it for me. I can see why people like Judie's songs & singing. Her voice isn't too bad at all. Some of the tracks are "middle of the road" to my ears.

Dean

The Grand Wazoo
29-09-2011, 23:15
I have none of her albums & have never really listened to her music at all, despite having a mate who used to play it quite a lot - I heard it, but never listened - there's a big difference!

So before I came to listen to it this time around, I tried to assess why this was. I came to the conclusion that possibly, at the time, I may have been a bit blinkered about music and had subconsciously decided that I shouldn't like it. Therefore, I probably never gave it a chance.

I've now listened to this album twice and I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that my earlier attitude was probably as a result of simply being bored by what I heard. It's not a sound that will ever make the hairs on the back of my neck stick up.

It's fantastic that some folks like it & get real enjoyment from it, but it's not for me I'm afraid. Maybe I still am just a teeny bit blinkered, eh?

Welder
29-09-2011, 23:27
I really like Judy Tzuke’s voice.
To add to the problem I think I should like Judy Tzuke; she’s pretty enough, she can sing, she hasn’t done the big commercial bit, she alternative and folksy, everything that should give mega music cred and deserving of my support in the pursuit of “proper” music.

Trouble is there are only about 4 tracks in the stuff I have of hers that I listen to.
So all the right attributes but not the right tunes and none of the tunes I like are on this album.
I would like to be able to give a 2.5 vote here but I cant give this album 3 even if Judy herself deserves the marks.

Audioman
30-09-2011, 07:10
I thought this would divide opinion and it has. I can understand some will find it is not edgy enough but it is a super sounding record. I also note some like Judie but not this material. Perhaps I should have picked her later more obscure stuff but it's not on Spotify. The album is not 80's sounding as someone suggests -try 'Turning Stones' for that. Judie's music is not MOR perhaps folky/soft rock here.

Some of the later output is closer to Dance music and she uses more electronic sounds. For an overview of her career I would recommend the recent Moon on a Mirrorball compilation which is equaly split between the 80's material and her more recent independent releases. She has also written for various contemporary 'pop' acts such as Lucie Silvas and guested on the last Morcheeba album.

The Grand Wazoo
30-09-2011, 07:46
Judie's music is not MOR perhaps folky/soft rock here.
MOR/folky/soft rock?

MOR has been used to describe so many different types of music as to make it almost redundant as a useful description.
I try not to use genres too much, but I'd put this closer to Fleetwood Mac circa 'Rumours' than, say, Joni Mitchell circa 'Blue'.

On the second listening, I noted at times, a kind of flatness to her voice that stops it from really soaring. It's kind of hard to describe this - I don't mean she's singing flat but it's something in the actual sound of the voice. It's most pronounced in the 'oo-oooh's' towards the end of 'Ladies Night' and it kind of sounds to me like she's done too many takes and she's just a bit bored with it all. I'm playing that track again now to check I'm not imagining it & I'm not!

Looking at the poll, its good that all of the people who seem to like it really, really like it!

Audioman
30-09-2011, 09:07
MOR/folky/soft rock?

MOR has been used to describe so many different types of music as to make it almost redundant as a useful description.
I try not to use genres too much, but I'd put this closer to Fleetwood Mac circa 'Rumours' than, say, Joni Mitchell circa 'Blue'.

On the second listening, I noted at times, a kind of flatness to her voice that stops it from really soaring. It's kind of hard to describe this - I don't mean she's singing flat but it's something in the actual sound of the voice. It's most pronounced in the 'oo-oooh's' towards the end of 'Ladies Night' and it kind of sounds to me like she's done too many takes and she's just a bit bored with it all. I'm playing that track again now to check I'm not imagining it & I'm not!

Looking at the poll, its good that all of the people who seem to like it really, really like it!

I think what you are saying is this album is overproduced. It's pretty obvious that in places Judie's vocals are overdubbed multiple times which would have involved many takes. To me it's overproduced in a good way and I am a sucker for good rock with string arrangements - Paul Buckmaster of Elton John fame being used here. It's the type of production that unfortunately disappeared soon afterward with the wide use of keyboards and synths. If you prefer Judie unadorned in a band setting the 'Road Noise Offical Bootleg' album may be the place to start.

keiths
30-09-2011, 15:10
Alarm bells were ringing a bit with this one for me as I clearly remember hearing it on release - a friend was pretty keen on her (not sure if he was keen on the music or just on her to be honest) at the time - but the fact that I had never bothered to acquire a copy of it, on any format, in the intervening 32 years, struck me as a tad suspicious.
Anyhow, I have picked up an excellent vinyl copy on eBay and given it the required couple of spins before now commenting and voting.

The first thing that struck me was what a nice-sounding recording it is and that Judie's voice is very pleasant throughout. The arrangements are pretty good, though some are bit dated with the many overdubbed vocal lines etc. The main problem I had was (other than Stay With Me 'Till Dawn) the songs didn't seem that memorable and on the second play through I found my attention wandering.

So I've given it a 3 - better than I was expecting and am happy to add a copy of this LP to my collection.

The Grand Wazoo
02-10-2011, 23:26
I think what you are saying is this album is overproduced.

No, I'm saying that I think that maybe she bit off more than she could chew with the songs.
Or that she did a lot of takes on the vocal tracks and they chose the wrong ones.

Spectral Morn
03-10-2011, 11:02
One of my favourite Judie Tzuke albums and Stay with me till dawn is one of my favorite songs of all time, I never fail to get goose bumps listening to it.

The Cat is Out, would be my next favourite which is more of an electronic AOR album. Never seen her live and would love to and I agree her daughter has a bright future ahead.

Regards D S D L

Barry
25-10-2012, 23:36
Judging by the poll it seems to be a 'one size fits all' recording. I have, or used to have, a couple of Tzuke LPs. Hearing her again was rather nostalgic.

I used to like 'I am the phoenix', but I can't seem to find the LP (which probably says I wasn't that keen on Tzuke after all). Nonetheless 3/5 for the trip down memory lane. :)