PDA

View Full Version : Caiman + Mini T amp problem.

Bonky
21-09-2011, 20:38
All units were functioning OK together last week. All that I have done is to use a Belkin PF30 mains conditioning unit and tidied up the wiring a bit.

Everything is again working well except for the Caiman+ Mini T.
The outputs from the Caiman work OK into my 2 amps (obviously I never have both amps on at the same time) as long as only one set of leads (from the caiman to the mini T) is in situ; as soon as I plug the other set of leads to the Sugden amp (even though it's off) suddenly results in no sound at all!

If the leads to the Sugden are left in the caiman and I then plug in the leads to the Mini T again, there is no sound, but then a few seconds later there is a loud fast clicking sound from both speakers.

I'm sure all was well earlier; I used to have both amps plugged into the caiman with no problems. I've checked the rest of the wiring- and all seems well. The 'fault' still manifests itself if the leads are swapped on the caiman, (from the fixed output to the adjustable gain).

I know Stan's unit is sensitive to voltage reductions, so perhaps all will be well in the morning...

... assuming I'm getting the full 220v has anyone experienced this before or got any ideas?

Richard

DaveK
21-09-2011, 22:21
... assuming I'm getting the full 220v has anyone experienced this before or got any ideas?

Richard

CORRECTION: - ....... full 240/250v .... in UK. (or at least in my part of Sheffield anyway ;) ).
Dave.

Bonky
21-09-2011, 22:40
CORRECTION: - ....... full 240/250v .... in UK. (or at least in my part of Sheffield anyway ;) ).
Dave.
Hi,

"The EU decided, in its wisdom, to harmonise the UK standard mains voltage of 240v AC and the European standard of 220v AC, at 230v AC. Fine in theory but the costs of replacing all the supply equipment to deliver 230v was uneconomic (there being no advantage whatever in changing, other than ‘harmonisation’).

The law now states 230v +10% -6%, thereby allowing the European 220v system to stay at 220v and UK to stay at 240v, yet both appear to be harmonised!"

OK, you are 'more right' than I am.

Apologies, but I'm sure you knew what I meant!

BW

Richard

DaveK
22-09-2011, 07:48
Hi Richard,
So we both stand corrected :lol:
FWIW I plugged a PF40 into my mains the other evening for about an hour and I was getting a reading of 240 to 245v.
ATB,
Dave.

electric beach
22-09-2011, 08:06
If the leads to the Sugden are left in the caiman and I then plug in the leads to the Mini T again, there is no sound, but then a few seconds later there is a loud fast clicking sound from both speakers.

I used to have both amps plugged into the caiman with no problems. ... assuming I'm getting the full 220v has anyone experienced this before or got any ideas?

Thats Bonkers :lol:

I can imagine what you're hearing, I get the same loud clicking if I select certain audio output frequencies from the PS3. Can it be frequency locking?
As it didn't happen before you made the mains change, have you tried plugging both in before switching on?

Bonky
22-09-2011, 09:53
Thats Bonkers :lol:

I can imagine what you're hearing, I get the same loud clicking if I select certain audio output frequencies from the PS3. Can it be frequency locking?
As it didn't happen before you made the mains change, have you tried plugging both in before switching on?

Hi, thanks, yes, I have played around with the mains plugs (in various sockets) to no avail.

If I disconnect the black(common) loudspeaker leads from the back of the Sugden I no longer get the clicking (or indeed any sound!). If I connect them up again and this time disconnect the red leads, I still get the clicking sound!

Ugh!

Thanks

Richard