PDA

View Full Version : Now Then From The Chilterns

lazyscott
04-11-2008, 13:03
Hi,
been lurking a while, so thought it about time i said hello.

Leo

Filterlab
04-11-2008, 13:10
Hello Leo! Another Leo. :)

Welcome to the forum, what'ya playing your music through?

lazyscott
04-11-2008, 13:19
Hi Rob,
thanks for the welcome. My system is:-

TT - Dais
Arm - Triplanar
Cartridges - Denon 103R / 103SA (playing), Benz LP, Koetsu Red
CD - Wadia 861se
HeadAmp - Phono - Tron seven
Amp - Leben CS600
Speakers - Sonus Faber EA11's

Music - Downtempo / Dub, "Old" Punk/Newwave a little bit of Jazz and some classical for cleansing treatment

Filterlab
04-11-2008, 13:23
Mmm, some quality equipment there Leo, and downtempo dub too! :) Some lovely deep bass frequencies involved no doubt.

Beechwoods
04-11-2008, 14:17
Dub and Punk... man, you've got to check out Radical Dance Faction. One of my all-time fave bands, deserving of far more fame and recognition than they maybe got. Bit 'crusty' festival favourites. Their 'Borderline Cases' album is a classic. New album due out soon, under the name Military Surplus RDF. Check out their Myspace pages!

All the best, and welcome!

Filterlab
04-11-2008, 15:06
Radical Dance Faction

I'll give it a whirl. :)

Marco
04-11-2008, 17:14
Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum :)

I agree with Rob - you've got some shweet kit there! I pretty much like everything you've got. Of particular interest to me is the Denon DL-103SA compared to the 103R. In your opinion what's the difference?

I was of the opinion the 'SA' was just an 'R' in a fancy body (and packed in a fancy box) because the spec is listed as being identical.

How do they differ (if at all) sonically? You will see from my system below that I'm a big 103 fan!

Marco.

lazyscott
04-11-2008, 17:28
Hi Marco,
thanks for the welcome, I have only just changed over to the SA, so will have to wait a while to get a handle on the differences., but first impressions are that it's a bit smoother than the "R".

The 103R is a great cartridge especially given the price, I realy was surprised when I changed over from a Benz LP to the "R". You don't get the soundstage thing, but if you just listen to the music it's "nearly" all there.

Leo

Marco
04-11-2008, 17:40
Hi Leo,

Interesting. I've often looked at the SA (on Audiocubes) and very nearly bought it many times, but couldn't help feeling all you were paying for was its 'Limited Edition' status, fancy body, and case. Please do keep me posted when you get more of a chance to listen as I'd like to know if it has any sonic advantages over the 103R. If so, then from my point of view it may be worth buying :)

I completely agree with you about the 103R. If set-up and partnered properly it does 95% of what any 'hi-end' cartridge will do, with 'proper' bass into the bargain!

I find the majority of modern 'hi-end' moving coils anaemic, 'toppy' sounding, and lacking 'soul' in comparison.

I love your phono stage, too - very nice. Mr Tricker knows his stuff!

Marco.

Filterlab
04-11-2008, 19:35
You've got some shweet kit there! I pretty much like everything you've got.

My choice for first listen would be the Wadia spinner - that's over-engineering at its most over-engineered-edness. :)

Marco
04-11-2008, 19:41
Yes, dat's cos you're 'digital boy' :eyebrows:

TBH, it's all good.

Marco.

Filterlab
05-11-2008, 08:43
Yes, dat's cos you're 'digital boy' :eyebrows:

TBH, it's all good.

Marco.

Indeed. :) I might add that description to my title. :eyebrows:

You're right of course, it's a beautifully balanced system throughout.

lazyscott
18-11-2008, 12:55
Update on the 103sa.

Been using it for a few weeks now and it certainly bedding in well. The main difference over the 103R to me is that it seems better up top, a bit more open but a slight tendency to emphasize siblance, although this may well settle down with more time on it (about 25hrs at the moment) will report back it's had more time on it.

Marco
18-11-2008, 13:01
Hi Leo,

It must be the better quality body on the SA which is responsible for the difference because electrically and in terms of technical specifications they're identical.

Nice one, though. Keep me posted should any other differences arise. I may treat myself to one :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-11-2008, 22:04
WOW, what a nice system you have. I just love the Wadia 861se CDP:) and your TT and arm in fact the whole lot. I nearly bought a Wadia but when I had the dosh they went and discontinued it. So I bought a Moon Andromeda:) :)instead. As good as the Wadia but has a slightly different presentation.

Regards D S D L :)