PDA

View Full Version : The Quad II

DSJR
02-09-2011, 08:49
I've had the pleasure of being custodian of a pair of Glenn Croft rebuilt Quad II's. This particular rebuild has, if anything, enhanced their wonderful endearing qualities I feel.

There is a recent post on the Yahoo Quad group which I wish to quote here if I may, 'cos I think it needs a wider appreciative audience. the original question was about the ludicrous prices some examples of these dear old amps are now fetching.

"But perhaps I'd change what you said to, I believe many people love them for the way they look *as much as* the way they sound. :)

For anyone interested in product design the Quad II is a fascinating object. When used in a domestic environment it wasn't meant to be seen at all but was intended to be hidden in a piece of furntiture. So it's a classic example of Utilitarianism in design with form following function, allowing no concession to aesthetics. I wonder, does anyone in this group keep their Quad IIs hidden in a cupboard now?

And the political and economic context is fascinating too. It was first manufactured in 1953 (not long before me!) when post war rationing was still in place. But if you bought Quad gear you were buying the best. Quad was one of those products that put the Great into Great Britain. Look at the Quad advertising from the period, if you had Quad you had the best of everything. And it didn't come cheap. A single Quad II cost GBP 22.00 in 1953 which is equivalent to somewhere around GBP 1,700 when compared to average earnings today.

And they sound nice too. All warm and cuddly. And just like the guy in the Quad advertising, I just love those dark winter evenings, settled down safe in front of an open log fire with an attentive girlfriend bringing me my slippers and Gin & Tonic! All is well with the world and it makes me feel Great to be Britsh! LOL!"

IHP
02-09-2011, 11:31
Hi Dave,

I'm a bit of a fan of these myself, how would you describe the change in sound between a serviced pair and a GC modified pair ?

Cheers, Ian.

DSJR
02-09-2011, 11:59
Glenn has done a number of rebuilds and judging by an earlier thread here, there were different "levels." Mine stayed true to the fundamentals and the only major alteration was a two valve regulator inside which actually reduces the maximum power a little, to about 12W each. This particular pair of mine sound like standard ones, but "better." This pair would have been chucked out if not rescued and rebuilt, as a valve or two blow-out had done damage inside and a Quad service didn't go far enough frankly. Since the rebuild twenty years ago now (YIKES!), they've been reliable and are used regularly.

I have seen some truly race tuned Quad II's and the main concern from experts has been over stressing transformers etc way beyond the original spec. Each to their own - I love the II's in my custody very much and am delighted to be giving them a new lease of life - colourations and all :)

IHP
02-09-2011, 12:07
Cheers Dave, keep enjoying them, lovely amps. Mine aren't modified as such, just had the caps. replaced for Classique Sounds PIO Ruskie caps.

Oh, and polished !

DSJR
02-09-2011, 12:16
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF0571-1-1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/QuadIIcropped.jpg

Macca
02-09-2011, 12:22
They don't look 50 years old do they? The design is more of a modern industrial Bauhaus sort of thing

synsei
05-09-2011, 00:21
I'm wondering how a pair of these would sound in my system and whether a DR5/QUAD II pairing would actually work? There's also a slight worry that their rather safe and cuddly sound might not sit well with the DM2's. I'd like to give a pair a test drive sometime though as I'm rather fond of them.

DSJR
05-09-2011, 21:34
You'll love the midrange and pure, if rather soft/veiled treble, but it's the bass which may either sound great with the DM2's, wallow all over the place, or just disappear altogether. I briefly tried the II's with the LS5/9's yesterday and the combination was truly horrible, the worst of both products being reproduced ruthlessly (no low bass, tubby mid bass, non-descript lower mid, squeaky upper mid and little top to speak of). These very same speakers on the end of a Quad 520F and with vinyl and CD/SA-CD sources sounded squeaky-clean, tight and incredibly detailed (even by active speaker standards).

To get the best out of II's, I really think you need to play them to their strengths. They sounded amazing with Epos ES14's and seemed to like Naim A5 speaker cable as well (a shame it now costs so much). Give them a simple highish impedance load and they should be fine.

synsei
05-09-2011, 21:44
You'll love the midrange and pure, if rather soft/veiled treble, but it's the bass which may either sound great with the DM2's, wallow all over the place, or just disappear altogether. I briefly tried the II's with the LS5/9's yesterday and the combination was truly horrible, the worst of both products being reproduced ruthlessly (no low bass, tubby mid bass, non-descript lower mid, squeaky upper mid and little top to speak of). These very same speakers on the end of a Quad 520F and with vinyl and CD/SA-CD sources sounded squeaky-clean, tight and incredibly detailed (even by active speaker standards).

To get the best out of II's, I really think you need to play them to their strengths. They sounded amazing with Epos ES14's and seemed to like Naim A5 speaker cable as well (a shame it now costs so much). Give them a simple highish impedance load and they should be fine.

That's my worry too. The DM2's sound pretty damned good atm because they play to the systems strengths. I'm hankering after valves at entirely the wrong time of year really. Maybe I should just be thankful with what I've got coz I can see this getting quite expensive otherwise... :eyebrows:

My problem lies in the fact that now I have found a sound that really moves me, I am loath to change anything... :lolsign:

The Black Adder
21-10-2011, 19:31
My Crofted Quad II's sound superb now he's serviced and re-built them and seem to suit my Tannoy 12"MG's really well.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/QUAD01/DSC05159.jpg

DSJR
21-10-2011, 20:07
Those old Tannoys were high impedance speakers as I remember. Perfect for amps like the Quads I think.

Thing Fish
21-10-2011, 20:11
Quad II's are pure sex for the eyes...:eyebrows: