PDA

View Full Version : Marantz CD75II

Dingdong
24-08-2011, 05:08
I've just put my old Marantz into my system as my VRDS has decided it doesn't want to read discs anymore. New laser on order. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Anyhow, back to the Marantz. For something almost entirely made of plastic it does sound bloody good.
The stereo image just got a bit wider, the bass goes lower and it all sounds just sort of right.
I'll get the vrds back working again and have a bit of a think about which one stays.

DSJR
24-08-2011, 10:11
VRDS10? Andr'e posted me a wonderful link regarding that one ;) Lasers are standard Sony I believe (as is the upturned mech?), so should be back in order soon.

Dingdong
24-08-2011, 10:24
It's a 9. It's a KSS-213 according to the parts list. Just ordered one. Hope it's that or I'm going to have to start looking at the servo circuit.
Still, the cd75 is rather good for a plastic cd player. Sat it on an old Mission isoplat and it's doing a grand job.

DSJR
24-08-2011, 10:35
Just a thought - Can you try to find one of Marantz's later "solid" players like the CD10 and CD80 (I think it was)? You'll love the 10 as it's related to the teac but better and the 80 was one of the last TDA1541 based models, but again, solidly made and better IMO than a stock CD94, which really is getting on a bit now. Sony 555ES's are great as well and lasers may? still be available for these.

Regarding plastic Philips/Marantz models. The isoplat is great as a platform. Try blu/blac-tacking it to the isoplat and do the same with a granite style chopping block bonded to the top (shouldn't cost much - less than a tenner). Does wonders for case vibration and it may tweak the sonic too :)

Dingdong
24-08-2011, 16:02
Is that a Lab 80 in your pic? I struggled to reduce the rumble to an acceptable level on mine and gave up. Got myself an pretty Luxman instead.

DSJR
24-08-2011, 19:54
One thing Alex_UK and I have found with vintage Garrards of all types is that there are idler wheels and idler wheels. I have a choice of three to use on this Lab 80 and only one is soft enough to reduce noise to an acceptable level. However, there's a slight "flat" on it and if one listens carefully, in the far background there's a very slight rhythmic bump-bump-bump. Not too bad for the secondary use it has, but not suitable for mainline listening (the Techie, Dual 701 and Thorens 125 are silent in comparison). The motor on this one is vibration free, spins very freely and once the main bearing was re-balled up with five new balls (2.3mm I think), greased around the ball race and EP80'd on the shaft and bushings, this runs far quieter than the drive itself. The arm is a bit pants, but once carefully fettled, it runs an ADC XLM III amongst other 1.2g trackers with ease. With cork mat on top of the Garrard one and a 2mm spacer in the headshell (plus a little white-tack), the sound is fine I think and I love it to bits :)

Dingdong
24-08-2011, 20:51
If you need any bits for your Lab 80 give me a shout.