PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new hi fi system within budget

tfm
21-08-2011, 21:29
Hello,

I have made a very important decision in a man's life: I will upgrade from a "standard" 5.1 home theather to a brand new hi fi audio system. :)

I hope you, experienced people, could help me with that urge....

My budget goes up to USD 1.500, max 2.000 if those extra 500 are worthed. Also have untill Jan'12 for that call.

I am a classical guitarist and love classical music and live orchestras.

My only source of music is the desktop PC, from flac to MP3, going through recordings of orchestras and live concerts. I'll also see movies and sound will come from this same audio system - although no doubt classical music is the main topic. Because data will come from PC, there is no need at all for cd players or any kind of reader/player.

Currently, audio comes from analog motherboard - P5K Deluxe output. That is a ADI® AD1988B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC. Mobo also has a S/PDIF out port.

That said, I have a first doubt: is it really worthed to invest in a dedicated sound card for a hi fi stereo or 2.1 ? If yes, which would you recommend?

For the standard 10 yrs old satellites I use now, it seems fine. I don't know how it would sound in a decent amp and speakers, and I guess I won't have to chance to test it with and without a sound card, so I guess I will take your advices on that...

(from steve toy's What is the art of sound? :eyebrows:) I am looking for components to be selected on their ability to make more sense of different melodies, and give the greatest possible insight into the musical performance.

It is also a core for me that the set is capable of recreating life-like dynamics, because there are many insights which just happen in a live concert hall, during performance. So I would like to have the closest to that within that budget...

Also, I live in a small apartment (around 80 m^2), and desktop is in the office, even smaller I stay in front of the computer almost the whole day, and here is where I listen to music most of the time. So although a sound that fills well and fully my apartment is important, near field listening is the most common scenario.

I would not like those computer aimed "compact" solutions, like, just as an example, B&W MM-1.

Could you suggest me what can I sound best with this budget?

DSJR
21-08-2011, 21:42
First, I'd suggest you pop by some pro-audio shops and try to get a listen to the latest generation of GOOD small to middle-sized active monitors out there. Some of them sound really good and will save you loads of money, space and piles of un-matched boxes....

If an old-fashioned separates system is for you, as it is for me and most of us I reckon ;), then I really wouldn't know where to start for someone in the US. I'm extremely fond of Harbeth's speakers - lovely, clear, great on subtlety and timbre and totally unfatiguing to listen to for hours and hours. The loading is easy, so any half decent non-foo amp will be perfect, valve or good solid-state - good, not expensive necessarily..

As for soundcard or DAC, the audiofoo way is usually to have an external DAC and there are some great ones out there. Start with the Shiit one and go from there ;)

Good luck and enjoy your time here.

Alex_UK
22-08-2011, 09:21
I agree with Dave here - if a PC is your only source, then a pair of pro-audio active monitors would be a good start - and I'd go as far as to suggest a Digital variant - try listening to a pair of these - M-Audio DSM2 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileDSM2.html) at around $1500 for a pair (Pro-monitors are usually priced each.) Hook up to the SPDIF Coax output from your soundcard - job done!

Most of the purists on here would probably have a fit at these, but I think "bang for your buck" wise they will be very hard to beat.

Themis
22-08-2011, 13:16
Also, I live in a small apartment (around 80 m^2), and desktop is in the office, even smaller I stay in front of the computer almost the whole day, and here is where I listen to music most of the time. So although a sound that fills well and fully my apartment is important, near field listening is the most common scenario.
Hi,

seriously, you won't be able to do near-field listening (<4ft) AND normal listening with the same speakers.

For near-field, a pair of active (Yamaha HS80M, Mackie MR8, or equivalent) is -almost- mandatory.
For any other listening, there is a lot of choice, not necessarily amplified.

tfm
25-08-2011, 06:57
Everybody,

Tks for the replies!!!

I am in a business trip and for this reason I can't reply, but as soon as I came back I will study all cases! ;)

John
25-08-2011, 10:03
Why not just go for very decent headphones and a headphone amp with a decent DAC
I go for the Lehmann really nice headphone amp and you cab get it with a usb port if you wish. You could get a HD800 quite eaisly and manage to stay in your budget if you not go for the usb option dac but their other dacs/headphones amps around

Darren
29-08-2011, 20:23
I agree with Dave here - if a PC is your only source, then a pair of pro-audio active monitors would be a good start - and I'd go as far as to suggest a Digital variant - try listening to a pair of these - M-Audio DSM2 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileDSM2.html) at around $1500 for a pair (Pro-monitors are usually priced each.) Hook up to the SPDIF Coax output from your soundcard - job done!

Most of the purists on here would probably have a fit at these, but I think "bang for your buck" wise they will be very hard to beat.

OOH! me want a pair of those. Actually no, their biggger brother please:
Studiophile DSM3 - 37hz to 27Khz and 180w of class d.... Oh yea baby.

tfm
31-08-2011, 18:30
Hey, everybody!!

Tks again for sharing your opinion!!

After a lot of research, I decided to upgrade the plans and expand the budget a bit (!!) for great things in life... ;)

I will go with Dennis's The Pilharmonic 3. That is for sure.

Now, what amps do you suggest? I think of something that can get the juice of the Phils comfortably, but not overrated, perhaps around 120W. Maybe optical/DAC included for direct PC connection?

What else (I mean, from cables to everything else) do I need for running the rig?

Tks!!