PDA

View Full Version : Speakers query

colinB
20-08-2011, 10:32
Look like nice speakers Darren. Dont forget the Adam actives from the studio range. I think Hamish owns a pair. Also the AVI adm 9s. Theres a matching sub from AVI that i have seen go on ebay for £400.

Themis
20-08-2011, 11:17
Talking about speakers, I tried (and kept) some Yamaha Soavo 2 Monitors. Great speakers !
I really don't know why some people snob the Jap's mainstream Hi-End products, really...

(apologies for the OT..)

kininigin
21-08-2011, 07:52
Look like nice speakers Darren. Dont forget the Adam actives from the studio range. I think Hamish owns a pair. Also the AVI adm 9s. Theres a matching sub from AVI that i have seen go on ebay for £400.

Hi colin,

Yep,adam's are on the list to try,as are some pmc's,a pair of TB2S-AII went on ebay a few weeks ago for about £900 which is the cheapest i have seen them go for,just didn't have the money to bid :(

Im not sure about the avi adm 9's,they only have a 6.5" driver(i know the pmc's have 6.5" drivers,but they are Transmission Line's)and im used to an 8" now,plus i don't have room for a subwoofer and i don't want to pay for extra things i don't need ,namely the dac.

Im more interested in possible passives to look out for really,as i pretty much have a short list of actives to consider.

Marco,maybe you can put this in a new thread if it's going to far off topic?

colinB
21-08-2011, 08:59
For passive speakers i would consider the Yamaha`s Dimitri mentions. Lot of fuss made about them when they first came out and they look great.
I auditioned transmission PMCs once, i didnt like the bass but thousands would disagree. Maybe some vintage Spendors?

DSJR
21-08-2011, 10:11
Hi colin,

Yep,adam's are on the list to try,as are some pmc's,a pair of TB2S-AII went on ebay a few weeks ago for about £900 which is the cheapest i have seen them go for,just didn't have the money to bid :(

Im not sure about the avi adm 9's,they only have a 6.5" driver(i know the pmc's have 6.5" drivers,but they are Transmission Line's)and im used to an 8" now,plus i don't have room for a subwoofer and i don't want to pay for extra things i don't need ,namely the dac.

Im more interested in possible passives to look out for really,as i pretty much have a short list of actives to consider.

Mini transmission lines give a little but take away as well, since you don't get owt for nowt in this world. Sadly, ADM's come with one heck of a load of negative baggage, but in the design, they've traded bass extension for LOADS of headroom and apparently they'll play at 108db (around the sensible max for this driver size when used this way) all day. Despite their marketing man's protestations that a sub ain't necessary with them, reports this week on the HDD forum indicate that the majority of ADM's are now sold with their excellent sub, and this does seem to make perfect sense for smaller rooms that just can't handle the bulk of large floor-standers. Certainly one to consider and just ignore the bullsh*t surrounding them in audiophool land...

One final (bridging) comment. Don't forget Rega's lovely little speaker range. The cureent ones seem to have an excellent transparent midrange, a clean bass and with the remaining touch of sparkle which will benefit vinyl reproduction especialy (it's fine for digital too as long as the source isn't at all "acidic" in tone, as used to happen). I was stunned how far Rega have come with their speakers, the RS5's getting clean bass extension and a delightful "free" sounding midrange.

Marco
21-08-2011, 10:13

Now done :)

Marco.

kininigin
16-09-2011, 20:43
Forgot about this thread,been working like a slave on a gypsy site :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions guys,all under consideration,well maybe not all :ner:

Anyway i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on full range drivers,specificaly Goodmans Axiom 80's.

I may have the chance to buy a pair,but am unsure if they are any good or even suited to my needs,any advice on this would be appreciated :cool:

Ali Tait
16-09-2011, 21:03
Steve (SPS) is your man to ask about those.

kininigin
16-09-2011, 21:15
Steve (SPS) is your man to ask about those.

:cool: ali

kininigin
20-09-2011, 16:58
Looking for speakers next and the dittons are definitely a contender. The comment about them being 'fun' is interesting because thats exactly the kind of hi-fi I'm trying to put together - something really musical and engaging to listen to!

This is also what im trying to achieve and have to an extent,but am wondering if a pair of celestions and croft power could be a step up the ladder,so to speak.

Marco in your opinion would a pair of celestions be suited with the SC35C into micro 25/series 7,to allow the cart to show all it's capabilities?

(quote taken from Old Radford or ?? thread)