PDA

View Full Version : An Intergrated amp..Pros or negs

JazzBones
20-08-2011, 11:40
Yesterday, I sat me down on the floor in front of my music making machine to do a weekly dust prompted by the evil eye from the missus. I muttered to myself, as is my want, that I should make life easier for myself, a hired and paid for cleaner would be out of the question! Now my power amps, 2 x monos, control amp x 1 and the power supply take up four shelves, which of course must be dusted, the other shelving accommodates a two box CD player, a two box tuner, a cassette deck, and then theres the TT, one shelf for it, another for the PSU and and all these must also be dusted and so it goes.... I'm getting really piddled off with shelves :steam: Now to the question; surely there must be good intergrated amps out there which would or could be called upon to do the job of numerous boxes :scratch:? Has anyone ever made the switch? One advantage would be 'no more messing about with an interconnect 'twix pre and power wouldn't it?

Back at the tail end of the 1970s it was the thing to get an intergrated, then upgrade to a pre and power amp and so on but surely all the goodies can be contained in one box atop just one shelf?

Finally, someone told me that dust was your skin shedding particles which settle as dust, stone the crows I was wondering why my skin was beginning to sag :o

Ron

PS How much of a dust pile does a foreskin account for :scratch:

hifi_dave
20-08-2011, 11:51
There are a few high quality integrated amps available but whether to change your pre/power combo depends on what you have now, your speakers and your anticipated budget.

I'm not sure that all the dust is dead skin, some of it must surely be 'fluff' whatever that is ? I hope it's not all skin..:eek:

Themis
20-08-2011, 11:54
There are plenty of nice integrated amps out there. At least as many as good separates.
What is your actual setup and budget, Ron ?

JazzBones
20-08-2011, 12:29
Hi Dave and Dimitri, I was not comtemplating a change over to an intergrated just yet just sussing out the pros and cons. I'm sure there must be good Inties out there such as the SuperNait, Creek Evo, Croft super, Boarder Patrol and so on. I would probably realise about GBP2K to 3K for my present lot but it has served me well for quite a few years now but I'm always open to investigating the alternatives with an open mind.

Cheers for your response, and I would like to hear from peeps who use and love inties for both reproduced music and human voice and the convenience, or otherwise?

This subject may have been covered before?

Ron

Dave, does the human navel produce fluff, must keep me shirt on :lol:?

SteveW
20-08-2011, 13:30
Hi Ron
I switched from a Linn Exotik with two Activ Klouts to a Lyngdorf 2200 integrated.
At the same time I bought a pair of Harberh P3ESR's.

At first the move was designed to clear up the clutter and down size shelf/amp numbers in our living area. I then planned a more 'serious' hifi in a basement room.

However.... the improvement in sound quality was so great that the smaller sized system is now so good that for the time being I've abandoned the quest for another system.

Top result.

In addition, the built inDAC of the Lyngdorf works wonders with the optical signal of an airport express fed iTunes, much to my amazement.

The Harbeths are just simply sublime.

On top of all that, my wife is more than happy.

Steve

Tim
20-08-2011, 13:53
I'm extremely happy with my 20 year old Albarry PP1 at the moment, which I purchased for a steal on eBay recently and it's a great match for my Harbeth speakers. It's only 45w per channel, but the Albarry has that rare quality in a solid state amp, in that its able to achieve an almost valve like quality to its sound, it is rich and warm yet still has subtleties in fine detail and scale that I have not heard from many other integrated amplifiers. My experience is however limited, as I'm not a box swapper but I think it's a very fine amplifier and I'm constantly questioning if I ever need to change it :scratch:

I now spend time actually listening to my music and not worrying about the system. Albarry don't make them anymore but it has shown me you can achieve a very fine sound from an integrated amplifier. My system is very simple now and I love it :)

Welder
20-08-2011, 14:06
I used to do the separates thing.

Years ago when I still had a record player I had SUT, Pre amp and a pair of power amps; mostly older Exposure, Quad and Quantum kit.
I think there are good reasons for having a separate pre and power combo if you’ve got an RIAA circuit and use a record player. If you’re only using line level I think a suitable integrated will give excellent results.

Apart from the above one thing a pre and power combo gives you that an integrated wont is the ability to fine tune your system by swapping pre amps around. A valve pre and solid state power seems to be a popular combination for example.

Once you take all those extra cables and a possible mismatch between components into account, I’m not convinced that a separate pre and power combo will necessarily sound better than an integrated.

My view is the less stuff between source and speakers the less chance there is of things going electrically and sonically wrong :eyebrows:

DSJR
20-08-2011, 15:42
Ron me old matey, we both know how well sorted your Naim amps are (72/HiCap/135's?) and you've got to be VERY sure in your mind when the time comes. The recently announced merge/take over of Focal with Naim may well increase the prices of "classic" stuff further, you never know ;)

You could get a slightly smaller pre-power combo and my first choice today would be the Albarry stuff (shame about the high prices but they really are extremely good IMO). The preamp's very neat and the mono's don't take up much space at all IMO - lovely stuff - fit and forget and switch off when you've finished :lol:

You know I love Glenn's stuff too and his delightful little integrated for £1K would be also be a great item to consider, but you may miss the "urge" that good 135's can give you...

JazzBones
20-08-2011, 17:50
Ron me old matey, we both know how well sorted your Naim amps are (72/HiCap/135's?) and you've got to be VERY sure in your mind when the time comes. The recently announced merge/take over of Focal with Naim may well increase the prices of "classic" stuff further, you never know ;)

You could get a slightly smaller pre-power combo and my first choice today would be the Albarry stuff (shame about the high prices but they really are extremely good IMO). The preamp's very neat and the mono's don't take up much space at all IMO - lovely stuff - fit and forget and switch off when you've finished :lol:

You know I love Glenn's stuff too and his delightful little integrated for £1K would be also be a great item to consider, but you may miss the "urge" that good 135's can give you...

Dave, thanks for your feed back. I've just come away from a 2 hour sesh listening to BBC radio 3 fm Jazz Library and Jazz Record Requests on my Naim NatO1/NAPSt (Older vintage) and Ron Smith Aerial at tooth rattling levels and that put paid to any idea of my stuff doing any exits. By the way my 72 has Avondale's top of the tree upgrades and I'm slowly filling up the jam jar with coinage to purchase either Les's TPX2 PSU or the Teddy Pardo one.... anyone know about these? I will more than likely go Avondale in keeping with the upgrade to the 72. I know you were not keen on 'messing around' with Naims but the aforementioned people have been around a long time and their stuff is extremely well made, especially when I compare the circuit boards of the two.

Cheers mate
Ron :)

jostber
20-08-2011, 18:19
A detailed explanation here:

http://www.quora.com/Audio-Equipment/Whats-the-advantage-of-an-audio-setup-that-separates-pre-amp-and-power-amp

and

http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1129539420

DSJR
20-08-2011, 20:40
Dave, I know you were not keen on 'messing around' with Naims but the aforementioned people have been around a long time and their stuff is extremely well made, especially when I compare the circuit boards of the two.

Cheers mate
Ron :)

Twenty five years of life, the universe "and everything" later and this old bod has changed quite a bit I reckon. When these naims were new and still being made, I did rightly (at the time) feel that they shouldn't be tampered with. Nowadays though, with original supply caps wearing out and such beautifully built alternative plug-in boards available, such as Les makes, it's not an issue IMO. Same with net-Audio and Dada updates/upgrades on old Quad amps, which need even more quite often :)

bikerboy
25-08-2011, 14:17
Ron,

New to here but been round the block, up to 2 mths ago I had the following, NAC 82, Teddy Cap plus, and an Avondale S100.

I swapped this for an EAR 834. This came about after attending Scalfold this year, I just needed to" scratch the itch"

So to answer your original question yes there are some stunning integrated amps out there.

The quality of both Teddy Pardo kit and that of Avondale kit is top notch, both would do wonders for your NAC72

JazzBones
25-08-2011, 16:50
Ron,

New to here but been round the block, up to 2 mths ago I had the following, NAC 82, Teddy Cap plus, and an Avondale S100.

I swapped this for an EAR 834. This came about after attending Scalfold this year, I just needed to" scratch the itch"

So to answer your original question yes there are some stunning integrated amps out there.

The quality of both Teddy Pardo kit and that of Avondale kit is top notch, both would do wonders for your NAC72

Hi Doug and a warm welcome from me to The AoS. Re: my 72 I already have the top audiophile Avondale upgrades, the improvement was really good and I'm sticking with it. One thing I have noticed is that I can use more of the volume control into areas I would not have attempted to use before, it does mean I have the dial between 2 and 3 o'clock when listening to Vinyl, Naim S board, AT OC9II silver wired Ekos. An outboard MC amp or SUT is appealing.
One question, from your experience can a Teddy Pardo PSU be used with Avondale up grades to the 72, any know or have this :)?

Ron

JazzBones
25-08-2011, 16:57
Twenty five years of life, the universe "and everything" later and this old bod has changed quite a bit I reckon. When these naims were new and still being made, I did rightly (at the time) feel that they shouldn't be tampered with. Nowadays though, with original supply caps wearing out and such beautifully built alternative plug-in boards available, such as Les makes, it's not an issue IMO. Same with net-Audio and Dada updates/upgrades on old Quad amps, which need even more quite often :)

Ah Dave old boy, you have now been blessed with age, wisdom, tolerance and I've bloody well been there mates, bought the T shirt an all that kinda of Jazz :lol: Just had to get the last three words in as I've been a dyin' to do so :)

:wheniwasaboy:

bikerboy
25-08-2011, 19:09
Hi Doug and a warm welcome from me to The AoS. Re: my 72 I already have the top audiophile Avondale upgrades, the improvement was really good and I'm sticking with it. One thing I have noticed is that I can use more of the volume control into areas I would not have attempted to use before, it does mean I have the dial between 2 and 3 o'clock when listening to Vinyl, Naim S board, AT OC9II silver wired Ekos. An outboard MC amp or SUT is appealing.
One question, from your experience can a Teddy Pardo PSU be used with Avondale up grades to the 72, any know or have this :)?

Ron

Ron, The Teddy cap would work brillianly with your Avondale modded 72. Doug

bikerboy
25-08-2011, 19:13

Ron,
I had a 102 with the Naim MC phono boards, it was put into the shade when I got the EAR834P, I am looking to get a SUT for my system, thinking of a Choir Audio S7.

Doug

JazzBones
26-08-2011, 10:05
Ron,
I had a 102 with the Naim MC phono boards, it was put into the shade when I got the EAR834P, I am looking to get a SUT for my system, thinking of a Choir Audio S7.

Doug

Doug, I must get me a listen to the EAR834, do they still sell for big bucks?

Ron

JazzBones
26-08-2011, 10:14

Doug, I wasn't sure the Pardo PSU and the Avondale mods to the 72 would be sympatico, one nullifying the other :confused:? I must confess the Pardo PSU does look very temping and in keeping with Naim stuff, does Teddy have representation here in the U of K? Have you heard a comparison of the two and if so whats your verdict?

Thanks for your info.

Ron

bikerboy
26-08-2011, 11:20
Doug, I must get me a listen to the EAR834, do they still sell for big bucks?

Ron

Ron, You can pick up one second hand for £500, they sell very fast. I got mine new beause I could not wait. HiFi Dave sorted me out. You will not regret getting one. Doug

bikerboy
26-08-2011, 11:24
Doug, I wasn't sure the Pardo PSU and the Avondale mods to the 72 would be sympatico, one nullifying the other :confused:? I must confess the Pardo PSU does look very temping and in keeping with Naim stuff, does Teddy have representation here in the U of K? Have you heard a comparison of the two and if so whats your verdict?

Thanks for your info.

Ron

|Ron, There would be no impact on the mods in the 72, the Teddy cap gives you very clean power.

I bought mine direct from Teddy he is brilliant to deal with and sends his products so the come under the radar.

It is a pitty you are not closer as I have a spare Teddy Cap that you could try.

Doug

DSJR
26-08-2011, 19:28
The 834 is a very "valvey" product I found and very different to current Croft stuff, let alone Naim IMO :) Tim put his prices up through the roof for some reason (export?) sadly.

To keep good visuals, can't the HiCap be upgraded internally with better rectification and regulation parts? This might be the best option, rather than wholesale replacement of main items. just a thought..