PDA

View Full Version : New (Old) Speakers

Ammonite Audio
19-08-2011, 13:28
I have managed to buy myself a pair of (hopefully) mint Tannoy Lancasters, which have the 15" Monitor Gold drivers. The Lancaster cabinet is possibly not the best part of the package, but certainly good enough to ascertain whether I can indeed live with these speakers. If they sound half as good as Marco's and Tom's (Montesquieu) I will be very pleased indeed. I quite like the fact that the cabinets are only 12" deep - if they can be persuaded to work well close to the back wall, the relative bulk of the things should be unimportant. So, with a 45 year old record player, and now 40 year old speakers, I seem to be going back in time.

Talking of going back in time, last night at Martin's I was reading and old HiFi magazine from 1971. The adverts are fascinating, and my eyes fell on this one:

http://i53.tinypic.com/kaog3o.jpg

Food for thought?

DSJR
19-08-2011, 14:20
I loved the Lancasters and thought the replacement HPD's not quite as good, if more modern looking. Amazing the prices, as a Ferrograph Series 7 would be several thousand quid in modern pricing, judging by the list you have there :(

Alex_UK
19-08-2011, 14:56
The Lancasters at Scalford in Jerry's room were the star of the show, IMO - congrats Hugo - lovely speakers.

Rare Bird
19-08-2011, 17:18
Amazing the prices, as a Ferrograph Series 7 would be several thousand quid in modern pricing, judging by the list you have there :(

Thats it Dave you broadcast that to all those that don't have their own ability to think, the next one on auction will surely reflect on this posting. you think thats obsurd, you'll be suprised.

Jonboy
19-08-2011, 17:19
Nice speakers, i sure Jerrys were 12inch fitted into Lancaster cabinets which are supposed to sound a bit better than the 15's when fitted to the same cabinet, they certainly sounded good to me, i'm still looking for a pair of cabinets to fit my 15's into if any has some knocking about, got to be cheap though, a nice pair of Lockwoods for a ton would be good... i think imust be dreaming :lol:

DSJR
19-08-2011, 17:33
Thats it Dave you broadcast that to all those that don't have their own ability to think, the next one on auction will surely reflect on this posting. you think thats obsurd, you'll be suprised.

Sorry Andr'e, I didn't think I'd be stepping on any toes :scratch:

Rare Bird
19-08-2011, 17:48
Sorry Andr'e, I didn't think I'd be stepping on any toes :scratch:

Your not stepping on my toes Dave i already have two of em..Just pointing out what happens.

Ali Tait
19-08-2011, 17:58
I was looking at Quad Electrostatic for £62.95! :stalks:

Ali Tait
19-08-2011, 17:58
Lot of money then though I guess.

Ali Tait
19-08-2011, 18:01
...and look at the price of the Ferrograph tape recorders by comparison!

Reid Malenfant
19-08-2011, 18:13
Hmmm, Leak sandwich 600 for £33.50 :lol: Those speakers introduced me to decent sound when i was a nipper :)

Marco
19-08-2011, 18:30
I have managed to buy myself a pair of (hopefully) mint Tannoy Lancasters, which have the 15" Monitor Gold drivers. The Lancaster cabinet is possibly not the best part of the package, but certainly good enough to ascertain whether I can indeed live with these speakers. If they sound half as good as Marco's and Tom's (Montesquieu) I will be very pleased indeed. I quite like the fact that the cabinets are only 12" deep - if they can be persuaded to work well close to the back wall, the relative bulk of the things should be unimportant. So, with a 45 year old record player, and now 40 year old speakers, I seem to be going back in time.

Talking of going back in time, last night at Martin's I was reading and old HiFi magazine from 1971. The adverts are fascinating, and my eyes fell on this one:

http://i53.tinypic.com/kaog3o.jpg

Food for thought?

Nice one on the Lancasters, Hugo! Question is, how much is £57.95 in 1971 worth today? :)

From the pics I've seen of your Lancasters. they look like a really nice clean pair. Like I said on the phone, keep them as original, until you get used to them and then, if you feel it necessary, upgrade the crossovers. I can advise you how then.

Hopefully, though, you won't need to touch them, as the ones at Scalford were all original, and like Alex says, they sounded fab!!

Keep us updated with progress, and of course, we want to see some nice piccies, when they're in situ :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
19-08-2011, 18:37
In 1975 or so, Ardens were under £500 I think (IMF RSPM IV's came in at around £600) and I don't think the cost of living has gone up by ten times since then, has it?